Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Play ww2online free for 2 weeks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Play ww2online free for 2 weeks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Play ww2online free for 2 weeks - 3/25/2003 7:47:00 PM   
Zakhal

Together with Uncommon valor these two are my long lasting favorits when it comes to wargaming. So if you have never tried ww2ol before i recommend you give it a try. Its simply awesome.

1. go to ww2 online homepage (<http://www.wwiionline.com>) and press SUBSCRIBE NOW
2. from that page press CREATE NEW PROMO ACCOUNT
3. fill details and when asked PROMOTIONAL KEY put "insidemacgames" in it (naturally without the " ")
4. get full install from ww2 online webpage DOWNLOADS-part and join the war
5. after the free trial, buy a subscription:D

Ingame if you want help join channel 64. (or you can just ask from people on the local channel)

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Post #: 1
- 3/25/2003 8:25:35 PM   
Zakhal

In the air...
[IMG]http://www.mirror.wwiionline.com/images/18/109vshurrismall.jpg[/IMG]

in the ground...
[IMG]http://gophur.playnet.com/gophur/gophpics/screenshots/berm1.jpg[/IMG]

in the sea...
[IMG]http://www.keskiaika.org/lagus/dd2/SShot15.jpg[/IMG]

together...
[IMG]http://www.lagus.org/board/attachments/SShot369.jpg[/IMG]

defeat the enemy!
[IMG]http://www7.wwiionline.com/map/belgium_long_front.jpg[/IMG]

quote:

Game Features

- Combined arms operations in the first online virtual battlefield
- ½ scale map of Europe with accurate terrain modeling- the biggest online world ever!
- Thousands of online players in a 24/7 world
- First person perspective in all gameplay- the first massively multiplayer first person shooter!
- Character advancement and career paths for rich RPG layer
- Strategic systems driven by player missions and command structure
- Historically accurate weapons including aircraft, tanks, anti-aircraft guns, trucks, rifles and more!
- Groundbreaking physics and damage modeling
- Web-based player services package integrated with gameplay

[url]www.wwiionline.com[/url]

Join rich online community!

[IMG]http://www.lagus.org/images/lagusbanners4.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://anzac.neutralreality.net/comstar.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://users.lvcm.com/ghrebel/MarkliusAVG.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.crozier/pclarsalot.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.thejg2.net/miscimages/18poster.jpg[/IMG]

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 2
- 3/25/2003 9:13:17 PM   
The MSG

Mac Gamer?

Need a Mac, eh... :p

"Arf! Arf! Thats my other dog impression."
-Oddball

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 3
- 3/25/2003 9:23:03 PM   
Zakhal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The MSG
[B]Mac Gamer?

Need a Mac, eh... :p [/B][/QUOTE]

Nope. Works just fine with PC. No Mac needed.

(also for those that it matters, you get to shoot french in this game;))

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 4
- 3/25/2003 9:30:38 PM   
Zakhal

Som pictures of french surrendering to our victorious troops:
[IMG]http://www.lagus.org/board/attachments/POWs.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http://members.cox.net/slimace/ww2ol/shot3.jpg[/IMG]

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 5
- 3/25/2003 9:51:26 PM   
The MSG

Hm...

Is the download supposed to be a 93,8 MB .BIN file?

-Oddball

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 6
- 3/25/2003 9:56:45 PM   
Zakhal

No bin, its self-extracting (.exe). Once you have finished downloading, click it and the install starts automaticly.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 7
- 3/25/2003 10:00:53 PM   
The MSG

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zakhal
[B]No bin, its self-extracting (.exe). Once you have finished downloading, click it and the install starts automaticly. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, downloading again.

Better be ubelievably good to get me to pay for play tho...
Do you need to supply cred card info to play the demo btw?
(I Downloaded a MMORPG once that did, what a waste of time...)

-Oddball

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 8
- 3/25/2003 10:06:42 PM   
Zakhal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The MSG
[B]Ok, downloading again.

Better be ubelievably good to get me to pay for play tho...
Do you need to supply cred card info to play the demo btw?
(I Downloaded a MMORPG once that did, what a waste of time...) [/B][/QUOTE]

No cc needed. Once you have registered your nick with the instructions above you can play for free 14 days. (no payment info needed when filling them)

Also when (and if) you sub after the 2 week free trial, you dont need to use cc to pay. Instead you can create a payment bill that you can pay in your own e-bank like you pay the monthly rent/phonebill/etc. (bibit payment servises)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 9
- 3/25/2003 10:09:38 PM   
The MSG

Thanks for the help Zhakal. :)

-Oddball

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 10
- 3/25/2003 10:14:36 PM   
Zakhal

Glad to be!:D

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 11
- 3/25/2003 11:28:40 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

First rate support of the game Zakhal

I have heard the game is a worthless buggy piece of garbage though.

What would you do to respond to those negative view points?

My main concern personally, is paying and paying and paying (because it is after all a game you must pay to play correct?).
How are you going to convince those that believe the notion it's buggy?

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 12
- 3/25/2003 11:49:15 PM   
Zakhal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]
I have heard the game is a worthless buggy piece of garbage though.

What would you do to respond to those negative view points?

My main concern personally, is paying and paying and paying (because it is after all a game you must pay to play correct?).
How are you going to convince those that believe the notion it's buggy? [/B][/QUOTE]

It was buggy like 18 months ago but not anymore. Infact its a whole different game now. The rats have bin patching it constantly, new stuff coming every month or two. (like the patches of uncommon valor but better)

As for paying i dont play it constantly.(lack of time) Only month or two every now and then. So its not expensive at all. I spend more money in one or two bar trips than whole year paying ww2ol sub.;)

Also unless you havent noticed yet the trial is free. So you can go see yourself how stable and streamlined it is now without paying anything.:)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 13
- 3/26/2003 4:28:44 AM   
SoulBlazer

How does WWII Online compare to Battlefield 1942? Which is better? They sound very similar.

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 14
- 3/26/2003 4:41:00 AM   
Zakhal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoulBlazer
[B]How does WWII Online compare to Battlefield 1942? Which is better? They sound very similar. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ww2ol is a realistic campaign style game that runs in a (massive) half scale map of europe 24/7 until one side looses all towns/airfields/ports/etc. Long lasting game with a strategic layer and thousands of players. Its massive multiplayer online game, mmorpg.

Bf1942 is unrealistic fast-action scenario style game on a small map and max 64/128 players in one game. Standard FPS game with extra elements like vechiles and airplanes.

Advice on gameplay

Grap few beers, jump in the nearest opel, drop near the enemy town, climb a tree and start sniping enemies and calling contacts. One of my favorits. Not to mention the deepline spec ops.

Best thing to do is find a squad. Having friends, a command chain, proper reconnaisence and discipline can make the game much much better and enjoyable when compared to soloing alone in the field of combat.

Lots of good coming in the future patches. Like brigade system, live supply, factories, etc.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 15
- 3/26/2003 9:36:15 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I suppose if I had the cash WWII Online might be amusing for me.

I have seen BF1942 though (friend loaned me his copy long enough for me to realise my computer needs some improvements to make it realistic in getting it).

I will say this about BF 42. the graphics are quite nice from a fun point of view.
The game is basically computer silly bugger.
Ignore anyone that says the word realism or realistic or accurate in any sentence connected with BF42 though.

But the word FUN is more well earned than in most games.

I hate FPS games as a rule, so if I have anything nice to say about BF 42, you know it has passed a very harsh critic's tests.

And I think everyone by now knows, Les the Sarge never holds back if he doesn't like something :)

I think anyone that requires a team game would likely want WWII Online over BF42. That is conjecture of course. But I have seen FPS games aplenty on machines of the devoted.
BF 42 is to much chaos and doesn't seem to lend itself to planned thought out team play decisions.

Maybe the pace is at fault. Maybe it was never intended to be anything else.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 16
- 3/26/2003 9:57:41 PM   
Zakhal

BF1942 was *lots* of fun at first. But after a while it just got old. Like all the other FPS games ive played. So it doesnt mean its bad.;)

Its just that as a wargamer- and historic-junkie i love to study the vechiles of ww2ol. Cos they are *very* realistic. The most ive ever seen. And thats just one thing about the game.

Neither is bad. Theyre just different games.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 17
- 4/4/2003 5:15:27 AM   
Flea

For a promotional video of WWIIOL please click my signature below. It is a lengthy download at 100MB but it is well worth it and gives a good idea of what the game looks like and what is possible with some teamwork.

Check it out!

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 18
- 4/4/2003 5:44:16 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Replay value.

Those two words determine whether I will buy virtually any form of game.

I have heard no small number of times a person say. "I beat that game in X hours".

That phrase is a red flag to me.

I won't pay serious cash for a one way game experience.

Heroes of Might and Magic, no matter how much you play it, there is always more.

Civilization no matter how much you play, there is always more.

Steel Panthers, the game goes on forever, it has no boundaries.

Panzer General series, you never know the game will go the same way twice.

Strategic Command, its not the same game twice. Popular strategies might exist, but the game is not finite.

Operational Art of War, many battles, many outcomes.

There are others I like, but through it all, I never can say, "I beat the game in X hours".

The argument, "well I got great entertainment for two months" as vs the cost of say dinner and a movie with your significant other doesn't wash with me. I get permanent gaming thrills with my favs. Not two months, but as long as I desire to play the game.

I think by and large, that is why the industry can produce so many "new" shooters and quest games. They become stale easy.

I suppose that is ok if you are company X and merely interested in making money.

I suppose the fact it wasn't finite, would be the only real incentive for me to play online. But currently, the expense exceeds my income's potential.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 19
- 4/4/2003 7:24:10 AM   
kungfucheez

Hey uhhhh I did and it didnt work hmm and i cant find a free downlaod of the full game plus ive always wanted to play this game ever since it came out but never got it because you had to pay a monthly fee which is the only reason i didnt get it. So can someone explain how to do it?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 20
- 4/4/2003 8:53:22 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I will walk the edge on this one maybe.

The download is a demo. I am leaping to conclusions here perhaps, but a demo is not normally a full game (well at least I have never seen a demo that was).

The monthly fee is a nuisance admittedly.

That would explain why my friends make a habit of sharing accounts on Everquest (from what I know of the game, you can support 8 characters). If you all have the needed password to log in, you can each run one of the 8 characters.

Not sure that dodge is universal to other multi user online games.

The bottom line, is WW2 Online is a game where you either pay the monthly fee, or you likely won't be playing it.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 21
- 4/4/2003 9:47:20 AM   
Knavey

Let me clear something up...

WW2O is an online only game which is continously improving through addition new features.

You can read more about it at the following post over in AoW.

My brother Feinder has written a huge writeup on it, and there are several people that are online and playing it right now that are there because of the discussions in this post.

You can play for 30 days before you must begin paying monthly. This should give you plenty of time to determine if that 12 bucks a month is worth it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35388

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 22
- 4/4/2003 10:10:30 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Ok I will bite, a free month won't kill me, where do I go to look into it.

Saw some good reviews and saw some negative.

Best way is to just look and see myself.

Got a link handy to lead me to where I can check out the free offer?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 23
- 4/4/2003 3:34:18 PM   
kungfucheez

I still dont know where you find this demo from because the demo ended a long time ago and that still doesnt answer my question

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 24
- 4/5/2003 2:36:51 PM   
Bucket

I played WWII online a little and I own battlefield 1942. All I remember of WWII online is the following:

1. You walked for twenty minutes (real time) and then get shot by someone you didn't see who's hiding behind one of them square hedges. Realism is nice but walking is boring sadly.

2. The wheels of planes are lethal. They kill things. If I'm correct in thinking, hedges can be fairly lethal to vehicles too.

3. Last time I saw it, everything is flat. I got upset at the flatness and ran away.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is a place for WWII online but I don't think its my kind of thing. Even if some of the bugs I used to play with have been resolved, I'm sure some are still in there somewhere. The walking thing is part of the thing that 'makes' the game so I don't see that vanishing any time soon.

I think of it as Everquest with Nazi's.

1942 on the other hand? Woo hoo! Good clean fun. Realism only where it counts. Shoot a tank in the rear, it takes extra damage. Get shot in the chest, live until it happens again. I like this. It means covering fire is less lethal. The cool thing is though, covering fire can redirect you - this makes a change from flashpoint and ghost recon where covering fire is mostly just lethal.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 25
- 4/5/2003 2:49:58 PM   
Zakhal

1. Never walk, i have never walked, theres no need to walk. All you have to do is find a fairly crowded spawn (easy) or/and wait few minutes and you always get a ride.

2. ??I have never trippled on a hedge with a vechile if thats what you mean.

3. Not flat anymore.

One of the best things in ww2ol is how far you can see. The distance is really there. 1942 has the (arg) fog.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 26
- 4/5/2003 8:32:48 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm is it in the opinion of the "have played it crowd" possible, that the large dead spaces (I mean really large spaces) could be editted such that you zipped from one location to another ie eliminate the walk walk walk walk walk walk walk walk walk (you get the drift I suppose) part of the game.

No, me I am not saying it would automatically bore me, but I would find it odd if the mainstream gaming crowd will ever consider it any fun.

Remember we are talking about people that will sell a cd burner that takes 8 minutes a cd for one that can do it in 4 (8 minutes is such a tragicially long span of time eh, add sarcasm in bucket loads).

While you know, and I know, that the dull spots go towards adding realism, joe gamer is going to yawn and say "yeah but where's the fun?".

I think the game could be just as fun if spaces playable were like crossroads, towns, small forests, river crossings etc, but made as identifiable minor locations.

Understand, I have NOT played the game, I am to some extent basing this whole ramble on having watched Everquest like games. I know Everquest is segmented ie you cross a boundary, and you enter a fresh segment.
I see no reason why the segments could not achieve my notion.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 27
- 4/6/2003 1:36:49 AM   
Bucket

RE:Zakhal

1. Maybe its because I live in the middle of no where but no one was every online when I was around. Well - correction. They were but mostly flying planes or whatever or just shooting at me when I reached destinations. I'm sure a lot more people play now but still, I found the journey aspect of it tedious at times.

2. Maybe this was quite a while ago... But I remember the hedge issue pretty vividly. I also recall machine guns firing backwards. These bugs are probably all but fixed though - so maybe I might give it another ago some day.

Do you think the fogging is really that bad in 1942? I think its fine myself. You can see far enough to the point that visible targets are all but out of range of the sniper rifle. Meaning they'll be a waste of ammo. I think my only real complaint about battlefield would be that the bots could be somewhat more intelligent. I like playing in single player mode. Its fun for practice and without any 'l33+' kiddies taking up the chat space.

RE:Sarge

I like big spaces but I agree with most of what you said. One or two of the bigger 1942 maps put me off playing and are quite unpopular online. Its bizarre that so many people like WWII online. However, its understandble. Its a full on war - therefore its very interesting. You're part of something much bigger and I think thats the main appealing factor.

Anyway, not debating or anything so...

I'd urge everyone to give it at least one go to see what they think. At the same time though, I wouldn't get your hopes up or try to play it on anything but a cable modem. If its not your thing though, try battlefield 1942. :)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 28
- 4/6/2003 3:58:52 PM   
Sldghammer

I am trying the 2 week trial and the bottom line for me is - no thanks.

CRS in their wisdom has screwed the French in terms of 1941 equipment so the British are gaming the game and taking French cities.

Too many aircraft, too many tanks, not enough infantry. Some good fighting but lots of boring time walking around and trying to find somebody to shoot.

On the ground, tanks still rule and you get killed lots by unseen tanks a mile away.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 29
- 4/6/2003 6:11:25 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

How is it an "unseen" tank can take out single infantrymen a mile away?

I would think a single human would be able to seen a tank a mile away, more easily than a single human a mile away.

I mean these afronts to realism would have my interest crash and burn quite rapidly.

I have likened Battlefield 1942, to a great way to play silly bugger online.

I would hope that WW2 Online was just not an overly complex overly boring copy of silly bugger. If that were the case, I think most would opt for the faster paced easier method of BF 42.

The only thing I think that would attract me to WW2 Online, is being able to group together in say a coherent squad, and then moving around like a squad actually might.

If the game is really just about individuals spending a great deal of time going from point A to point B, just to be sniped by someone using a tank as some wierd form of sniper rifle, you could count on me to pass in a nano second.

I would immediately return to my "unrealistic" game of Steel Panthers where I was sure to have "fun".

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Play ww2online free for 2 weeks Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI