Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Victory and Glory: Napoleon >> Movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movement - 3/27/2016 8:54:16 PM   
kendrick88

I would recommend the following changes to the movement mechanics.

1. Leaders (if moving alone) should be able to move an unlimited and unrestricted distance during any turn. A turn is 2 months long. A leader and his small retinue could easily travel to just about anywhere on the map in that time. And historically, this did happen fairly often, such as Napoleon returning from Egypt and Bernadotte moving to Sweden.

2. Movement is far too slow, as many have mentioned. It takes more than a year to move from Brest to the Alps. Moving from Madrid to Russian territory would take about 2 years. This is why I have not attacked Russia yet. It would probably take 3 years to get there and back. I would recommend increasing movement as follows:

2a - France can move an army up to 3 areas if the army starts in French-owned territory. Passing into enemy territory or neutral friendly territory would limit the total move for the turn to 2 areas.

2b - France can move an army up to 2 areas if the army starts in enemy territory or neutral friendly territory.

2c - Allied forces can move up to 2 areas if the army starts in allied territory, stopping movement when entering french-held territory. Allied armies can move 1 territory when starting the turn in French-owned territory.

These changes would allow France and the allies to maneuver more easily within their own territory but would slow those forces down when traveling into enemy areas. This is historically accurate, as the logistics of moving an army abroad is far more complicated and expensive than moving in friendly territory. And allowing leaders to move any distance each turn would eliminate the problem of armies sitting in places like Paris with nobody to lead them. Alternatively, armies could be permitted to move without a leader but if the stack ends up in combat, the random leader would be of lower quality.

Anyway, interesting and fun game overall. I especially like the way the cards work and the way the basic combat mechanics work. Simple but still allowing for strategy. I look forward to future updates.
Post #: 1
RE: Movement - 3/28/2016 2:31:34 AM   
Uncle_Joe

Historically, yes movement should be much faster but it wouldn't work very well in the game. It's already fairly easy to sort of play 'zone defense' and smack Allied nations as they come in. It might be interesting to try, but I think they'd have to up the difficulty in some other way (supply or more frequent attrition or something) to compensate.

(in reply to kendrick88)
Post #: 2
RE: Movement - 3/28/2016 8:13:08 AM   
prince_blucher

maybe the most practical solution is to give France more strategic movement and forced march cards, so that players like kendrick and myself can reflect more historical movements whilst uncle_joe et al can choose not to play those cards if he prefers?

< Message edited by prince_blucher -- 3/28/2016 8:14:22 AM >

(in reply to kendrick88)
Post #: 3
RE: Movement - 3/29/2016 1:34:39 AM   
kendrick88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle_Joe

Historically, yes movement should be much faster but it wouldn't work very well in the game. It's already fairly easy to sort of play 'zone defense' and smack Allied nations as they come in. It might be interesting to try, but I think they'd have to up the difficulty in some other way (supply or more frequent attrition or something) to compensate.

I agree that if France can move 3 and the allies can only move 1 in French territory, that wouldn't work. It would be too easy to defend France. So maybe the allies can always move 2. France can move 3 in French-owned territory and 2 elsewhere. Movement is a core mechanic of the game. The cards only occasionally make it seem like you aren't riding a snail.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince Blucher

maybe the most practical solution is to give France more strategic movement and forced march cards, so that players like kendrick and myself can reflect more historical movements whilst uncle_joe et al can choose not to play those cards if he prefers?

For me, that would feel like receiving extra hand warmer packets during a sub-zero football game instead of just wearing better gloves.

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Victory and Glory: Napoleon >> Movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI