Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Love the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Love the game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Love the game - 3/28/2016 11:51:13 PM   
Stryder

I wanted to say that this game is the best strategic Eastern Front game that I have ever played, and I have played a ton of them. Second Front and War in Russia were my previous favorites. I thought I would love War in the East but it was just too much micromanagement. This game strikes the perfect balance and the AI seems quite competent.

(I definitely need to read more the manual because I am stalling in early July with no fuel and broken down trucks. I need to figure out when to move the FSB, when to rest/refit units, etc.)

The book/manual that comes with the boxed set is incredible. The pictures, and the staff tips are great and really help with understanding the game.

Post #: 1
RE: Love the game - 3/28/2016 11:56:46 PM   
Stryder

Just added a review to Metacritic (the first one). I may have plagiarized my original message a little

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/decisive-campaigns-barbarossa

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 2
RE: Love the game - 3/29/2016 2:06:31 AM   
mikeCK

If your running out of fuel that early it's probably because there is too much distance between the forward base and the HQ of the panzergruppe. Sounds obvious but in the mad dash to encircle, it's easy to lose track of. Keep the gruppe following a track when possible...especially the HQ unit. Trucks travel
Better on roads (which are implied with RR tracks) than cross country. Also, make sure there aren't any soviet units over-top of your supply route. You could have a road running through 8 hexes to the FoB but if 1 hex is blocked, than the train can't use it (if train) or if road, trucks have to drive around.

Also, after the first turn or 2, take the opportunity to change the postures for your infantry armies a few at a time. Blitzkrieg posture burns an extra 2,000 of fuel per army per turn. First turn you should adjust the Finnish and Romanian armies.

After that, try and time your FoB move with a rest and refit

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 3
RE: Love the game - 3/29/2016 11:17:21 AM   
fvianello

Generally speaking, my advice is to move, fight and advance at a SLOWER pace than your desire to conquer the steppes suggests :)

I made the same error in my first attempts: "push forward at maximum speed, nothing else matters dammit". I reached Smolensk at August and after that I simply bogged down.

This game is different and forces you to approach the problems in a more realistic way. Pause, regroup, move FSBs forward, reorganize, keep a constant eye on supply and fuel.

Also, don't stretch out your forces trying to encircle the whole Ukraine front; several small pockets of 2-3 soviet divisions makes the difference in the long run and are a lot easier to achieve.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 4
RE: Love the game - 3/29/2016 2:09:01 PM   
Stryder

Great tips guys! Thank you. I have been playing much too aggressive, trying to encircle huge groups of Soviet units. Which then results in my panzer armies grinding to a halt.

I was concerned that the Soviets would retreat if I paused, and elude being encircled.

What turn do most of you refit, and move your FSB?

What is the proper order for refitting and moving the FSB; do you make the decision to move the FSB, and then choose to refit the same turn?
-because it's a decision that comes up for multiple FSB moves in a single turn, you have to move multiple FSBs on the same turn, correct?

Is there a collection of some of the most common things that new players need to know? - I am reading the book, but 300+ pages takes a while-- and I can't resist the urge to play the game, which eats up my reading time!

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 5
RE: Love the game - 3/29/2016 3:03:46 PM   
Ostwindflak

I am doing my first play through jfarber and I too am trying to find the right time to rest and refit groups. I am on turn 4, but I already have motorized infantry divisions and panzer divisions close to Minsk. I too need to find a balance as I do not want to run out of gas.

< Message edited by Ostwindflak -- 3/29/2016 6:23:48 PM >

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 6
RE: Love the game - 3/29/2016 5:19:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jfarber

I wanted to say that this game is the best strategic Eastern Front game that I have ever played....

warspite1

To be fair this game is not without its problems; two of them pretty major. There are:

- occasions when the Germans are way too powerful,
- and other times when its the Soviets that are too strong.

This state of affairs means that its impossible for the other side to win.

Curiously, the Soviets are only ever too strong when I play as the Germans...and the German side is all powerful whenever I play as the Soviets.

There must be a simple problem here no doubt, but I just cannot identify it at the moment......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 7
RE: Love the game - 3/29/2016 7:11:27 PM   
fvianello

quote:

What turn do most of you refit, and move your FSB?

What is the proper order for refitting and moving the FSB; do you make the decision to move the FSB, and then choose to refit the same turn?
-because it's a decision that comes up for multiple FSB moves in a single turn, you have to move multiple FSBs on the same turn, correct?

I don't think there's a rule here; it depends from too many factors.

The decision to move a FSB is indipendent for each front, and they are "ongoing"; that is, once you have the possibility to move the FSB forward the decision will keep popping up every turn until you use it.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Love the game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI