Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/7/2016 5:52:54 PM   
Retreat1970

It should be fine. I looked at your scripted research path and the next construction tech is 3rd (105) right after energy collection (123) and shields (95).

As far as freighters in pre-warp, the private sector pays, and it gives a nice early income boost to the AI. Also what about the mines the AI builds? They start building mines quickly.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 121
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/7/2016 6:55:04 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

As far as freighters in pre-warp, the private sector pays, and it gives a nice early income boost to the AI. Also what about the mines the AI builds? They start building mines quickly.

I understand about the income boost, but the downside is that the build queue gets tied up by the AI building dozens of private ships, which prevents construction of explorers and a military. The private sector can still build mining ships (although there is a case for preventing that too), but the private sector doesn't build mines, as that's done with construction ships.

It's not so important for the player, who can adjust the build order, but I believe the AI empires are stuck with what the private sector decides to do, so if the private sector orders a load of freighter that may inhibit the AI empires from constructing stuff they need, like explorers.

To be honest, though, it's probably not a big deal either way.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 3/7/2016 9:55:16 PM >

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 122
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/7/2016 10:35:47 PM   
Sargatanus

Hello, I LOVE the new tech tree. However, I've hit a bit of a snag... I tried adding another race and that bit worked just fine and dandy. However, a massive chunk of the tech tree is now blocked off in bizarre ways like seeing a crucial technology (like "shields" or "hyperdrives") saying it's for literally every other race but the one I created. How can I fix this?

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 123
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/7/2016 10:50:12 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sargatanus

Hello, I LOVE the new tech tree. However, I've hit a bit of a snag... I tried adding another race and that bit worked just fine and dandy. However, a massive chunk of the tech tree is now blocked off in bizarre ways like seeing a crucial technology (like "shields" or "hyperdrives") saying it's for literally every other race but the one I created. How can I fix this?

This is most likely down to the ALLOWED RACES line in research.txt. There are many techs for which the allowed races are controlled by these lines. So what you need to do is to go through research.txt and add your new race to the list of allowed races for each case. And if your race has a separate pirate race too, you'll have to add that as well.

You also have some other work to do in files like raceBiases.txt, but I assume you know about that.

Sorry it's not easier, but that's just the way it works :-)

Osito.

(in reply to Sargatanus)
Post #: 124
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/9/2016 2:05:14 AM   
Unforeseen

There weren't any pirates in my game. I always found them to be irritating grabbing all the high tech ships scattered around and blowing everyone up with them. I looked at the scripted research path and realized that 'part' of my problem is that the AI were researching warp 4th in line, while I was going 2nd. It doesn't explain why the AI didn't colonize stuff AFTER they had researched warp and into the colonization tree though, still think there was a problem with the exe. Going to give a game a shot..hopefully it works. (I reinstalled)

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 125
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/12/2016 4:46:32 PM   
Sargatanus

Huh... You know, I hadn't even looked at that since it wasn't utilized in the vanilla game or any other mods I've used. Seems to have cleared most things up.

Now the problem I'm having is that the Ancient Guardians not only seem to have disappeared, but at some point in the game, my home planet gets renamed "Utopia" and gets a Mechanoid population out of nowhere. What did I do wrong here?

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 126
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/12/2016 4:52:22 PM   
Sargatanus

Also, the "Strategic HQ" wonder spawns ships on the opposite side of the galaxy. Kind of a nuisance considering that I'm basically saving my warp research for last.

(in reply to Sargatanus)
Post #: 127
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/12/2016 6:43:20 PM   
Osito

I don't know what was causing your planet to be renamed, although I suppose if you'd built the tech that causes you to get a mech population that might have something to do with it. If you did have that tech (can't remember its name, as I'm away from my computer), let me know. Alternatively, I suppose it could have just been a rare bug. I don't think there's anything in Research Unleashed, per se, that could cause that to happen.

Regarding the "Strategic HQ" I suppose the answer is not to build it unless you have a decent warp tech. I know that's not very helpful, but the way the Strategic HQ works is hard coded into the game, so I can't change the way it works.

Osito

(in reply to Sargatanus)
Post #: 128
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/12/2016 10:48:58 PM   
HerpInYourDerp

The 'Strategic HQ' wonder and the 'Utopia' homeworld rename are taken from the The Ancient Galaxy campaign. The latter happens after you build the Computer Core wonder. The HQ's original name is literally 'Intergalactic Gateway'.
Both of the two are flagged to do those particular things and the effects of said flags are hardcoded.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 129
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/22/2016 9:18:54 PM   
Retreat1970

In the research file, project 125 - Change the parent to 550 instead of 124.

(in reply to HerpInYourDerp)
Post #: 130
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/23/2016 12:07:02 PM   
Osito

quote:

In the research file, project 125 - Change the parent to 550 instead of 124.

Thanks for the heads up. I have corrected it.

Osito

Post #: 131
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/25/2016 6:20:24 PM   
TAK84

I switched to this theme to check it out and started a game as human.

Some of the ship designs did not import. There was no definition for a passenger ship or a small freighter in my game. I can see the design templates for these items in the correct folder in the mod's directory so they copied over properly. It's like it didn't import them when I switched themes.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Post #: 132
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/25/2016 6:38:16 PM   
Bingeling

I guess they may be too large to build? I believe that some mods make the small freighter (and passenger ship) larger, to avoid the AI from wasting resources on them at the start of pre-warp games.

(in reply to TAK84)
Post #: 133
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/25/2016 6:47:38 PM   
Osito

Bingeling is correct. The ships can still be designed manually, but they will be unavailable until you get the requisite techs if you rely on automatic designs. It's fairly straightforward to get the necessary techs.

I think this probably came from Icemania's AI Improvement Mod rather than my mod (it's hard to remember now, and I'd have to go and check both mods' original forms to be sure), but whatever the origin I'm happy with the way it works.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 3/25/2016 6:48:47 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 134
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/25/2016 7:03:24 PM   
TAK84

Thanks for the fast reply guys.

I had the same thought about buildable sizes so I looked at 'all designs' instead of just the buildable ones. I think it was still missing even when all designs were shown (this was late last night so I'm trying to remember exactly now).

I was doing my own ship design for my first little exploration ship and when I closed the ship customization dialog it showed a warning saying there is no passenger ship design and this would be detrimental to the empire (or something similar). I looked through to see if any of the other basic ship designs were missing and I saw the small freighter was also missing. Others were there, like the medium freighters that were definitely too big to build.

Anyway, I don't mind designing my own passenger ship and freighters, but I was worried that the AI players might be broken if some of their design templates are also missing. If this is intentional than I'll just proceed with the game.

Thanks.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 135
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/25/2016 9:24:50 PM   
Osito

Jeez, it took me 5 login attempts to pass the 'I am not a robot' test!

Hmmm, what you said about the small freighters and passenger ships being completely missing does look a bit odd, TAK85.I'll take a look at it. I'm pretty confident it won't affect the AI, because each AI has its own special ship templates designed by Icemania for his AI Improvement mod.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 3/25/2016 9:26:29 PM >

(in reply to TAK84)
Post #: 136
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/25/2016 11:48:45 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

each AI has its own special ship templates

The freighters and passenger ships are all the same for all races in the templates. Most the military designs are the same as well (weapons excluded).

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 137
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 12:06:08 AM   
Retreat1970

project 513: change parent to 526

Post #: 138
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 3:56:45 AM   
Franky007

I found a big bug... none of the research order work !
The research ID for WeaponsResearchProjectOrder, EnergyResearchProjectOrder and HighTechResearchProjectOrder are NOT on the same line as the project order!!!

Because of the slower hyperdrives and freighters too big, I have also made the following tweaks:
Remove CommerceCenter from monitoringstation.
Set FuelCell to 10 for explorationship.
Set CargoBay to 6 for smallfreighter.
Set CargoBay to 8 for mediumfreighter.
Set Engine to 14 for largefreighter.
Set LongRangeScanner to 1 for gasminingstation.

Replace 106,166 in EnergyResearchProjectOrder for all non-pirate races (except dhayut):
with 166,106,167,501 (add 2 hyperdrives).

Replace 106,166 in EnergyResearchProjectOrder for dhayut:
with 166,106,154,155

Add 198 at the end of HighTechResearchProjectOrder. (Long Range scanners).

Set TechFocus1 to 15 for all races. (HyperDrives).

< Message edited by Francoy -- 3/28/2016 3:59:22 AM >

Post #: 139
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 2:57:54 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: TAK84

Thanks for the fast reply guys.

I had the same thought about buildable sizes so I looked at 'all designs' instead of just the buildable ones. I think it was still missing even when all designs were shown (this was late last night so I'm trying to remember exactly now).

I was doing my own ship design for my first little exploration ship and when I closed the ship customization dialog it showed a warning saying there is no passenger ship design and this would be detrimental to the empire (or something similar). I looked through to see if any of the other basic ship designs were missing and I saw the small freighter was also missing. Others were there, like the medium freighters that were definitely too big to build.

Anyway, I don't mind designing my own passenger ship and freighters, but I was worried that the AI players might be broken if some of their design templates are also missing. If this is intentional than I'll just proceed with the game.

Thanks.

I have now looked into this and can confirm that all freighters should show up when you have researched Space Construction, and passenger ships will show up when you have researched Personnel Transit Systems. This is what happens with my installation. If it does not happen with yours, then I think there is a problem with your design templates. You could try reinstalling the game, then reinstalling the mod. Or you could simply make the basic design yourself and save it to your design templates.

Hope this helps.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 3/28/2016 2:58:50 PM >

(in reply to TAK84)
Post #: 140
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 3:08:53 PM   
Osito

Thanks very much for the feedback Francoy! My specific replies are embedded in a copy of your post, below.

I will shortly upload a new version to take into account your comments.

Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Francoy

I found a big bug... none of the research order work !
The research ID for WeaponsResearchProjectOrder, EnergyResearchProjectOrder and HighTechResearchProjectOrder are NOT on the same line as the project order!!!

Are you absolutely sure this causes the research orders not to work? In the next update (2.2) I have changed the files to remedy any potential problem, so I did not check whether it actually causes any problem. However, if it does cause a problem, then you may wish to consider reporting this on Icemania's AI Improvement mod thread, because some of his research project orders also have the numbers on a new line.

Because of the slower hyperdrives and freighters too big, I have also made the following tweaks:
Remove CommerceCenter from monitoringstation.
Set FuelCell to 10 for explorationship.
Set LongRangeScanner to 1 for gasminingstation.
I agree with you about exploration ships and have changed this in the new update. I'm not convinced about the other changes, though, so I haven't done anything about them at this stage.

Replace 106,166 in EnergyResearchProjectOrder for all non-pirate races (except dhayut):
with 166,106,167,501 (add 2 hyperdrives).
This seems sensible - changed in the new update

Replace 106,166 in EnergyResearchProjectOrder for dhayut:
with 166,106,154,155

Add 198 at the end of HighTechResearchProjectOrder. (Long Range scanners).

I have done this for non-pirate races, but not for pirates, as they have faster hyperdrives with a much shorter tech line.

(in reply to Franky007)
Post #: 141
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 3:49:51 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

Yes, the research script must start after the semi-colon, not on the next line.

quote:

Debatable if the AI follows this well, in the race or policy files. Scripting the research is the only guarantee.

Also when scripting research for a race, make sure the design templates allow for usage or it's wasted research.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 142
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 4:00:18 PM   
Franky007

The 3 changes to freighters:
are to be sure that the freighters are below the 300 size limit.

The change:
Remove CommerceCenter from monitoringstation
is because when a discover a monitoringstation, all the freighters try to resupply the station and that become a drain to my economy.
Anyway i consider these station to be Military station only.

The change to Set TechFocus1 to 15 for all races, will probably have not much effect because the policy will override it!

< Message edited by Francoy -- 3/28/2016 4:02:05 PM >

Post #: 143
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 4:31:04 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

is because when a discover a monitoringstation, all the freighters try to resupply the station and that become a drain to my economy.

Commerce center is not the reason although it serves no purpose on a MS. Freighters are transferring cargo for future upgrades and this is completely normal.

(in reply to Franky007)
Post #: 144
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 5:12:59 PM   
Osito

quote:

quote:

Ok, fair enough; it's fixed now. Someone should tell Icemania, because it applies to some of his research project orders.

quote:

quote:

Debatable if the AI follows this well, in the race or policy files. Scripting the research is the only guarantee.

Also when scripting research for a race, make sure the design templates allow for usage or it's wasted research.

I guess it doesn't hurt to leave it in, but in any event there are now more hyperdrive techs in the research project orders.

Incidentally, I'm not aware of any scripted research in my mod which isn't allowed for by the design templates, but if anyone happens to notice any, please let me know.

Osito

Post #: 145
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/28/2016 11:33:32 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

quote:

quote:

Ok, fair enough; it's fixed now. Someone should tell Icemania, because it applies to some of his research project orders.

In the AI Improvement Mod they are on the same line after the semi-colon.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 146
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/29/2016 1:23:25 AM   
Osito

Oh, yes, sorry about that - should have known better than to open them in notepad.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 147
RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 - 3/29/2016 5:22:40 AM   
Sabranan

Hi Osito, I've been testing various mods to see how they load up in my mod tool and I found a small issue with yours.

You have some duplicate lines in the napoar.txt file under the races folder, the block starting at "ResearchColonizationCostFactorContinental" repeats itself immediately afterwards, with different values. I'd be interested to know which set you actually intended to use?

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 148
RE: Research Unleashed - 3/29/2016 8:07:42 PM   
adecoy95

for some reason my explorer ships wont auto explore with this mod, kinda strange. any ideas why thats happening?

EDIT: nm i figured it out i had to increase fuel capacity

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 3/29/2016 8:16:47 PM >

Post #: 149
RE: Research Unleashed - 3/29/2016 10:49:00 PM   
Franky007

Thinking out loud about the Hyperdrive tech tree:

Because this tech tree is very long, would it help the AI if
we shifted the tech tree one column to the left, starting with Reactive Hyper drive down to Efficient hyper drive.
I would put the Enhanced gerax drive one line lower (just under the Efficient hyper drive).
and put the three lines of Hyperdrive linked with Hyperdrive Technology instead of Enhanced gerax drive...

Note:
If i understand how the AI work; it research techs by column, so it won't go too far to the right before researching all other techs in that column.

here are the modified files.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Francoy -- 3/30/2016 4:11:08 AM >

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Research Unleashed - Version 2 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI