Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  173 174 [175] 176 177   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 6:42:45 PM   
desicat

One interesting thing to note is that once he takes out Sabang he will have to disburse the exhausted units there to where he expects your next avenue of attack to come from. Sumatra is currently a wreck of mish-mashed out of place units and little to no fortifications.

I hate to say it but the next 5 or 6 months (after his units re position) will provide an excellent opportunity to invade Sumatra a second time, especially as he is currently reacting north to the Aleutian Islands and East towards the Marshalls (probably). Take a look at his current disposition in the Sumatran theater - it appears to be badly spaced and placed.

The one thing he appears to have is interlocking AF's around Sabang, how do things look a bit to the South?

< Message edited by desicat -- 3/25/2016 6:44:37 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5221
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 6:45:51 PM   
desicat

He has proven to overreact to things in Burma - as he probably should, that is another weakness he has in the theater.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 5222
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 6:51:22 PM   
Canoerebel

There is precedent for John drawing down in that way. In the summer of '42, the Allies threatened to invade the Aluetians. In what became known as Just in Time Reinforcements I, John reinforced his bases strongly. Yet when I arrived in May '42, most of those bases were lightly garrisoned.

In my previous WitP game vs. John, the Allies invaded Hokkaido, Sikhalin Island, and the Kuriles in great strength in early winter '43. Sometime in '44, the Allies then invaded Sumatra. So there is precedent for that kind of move too.

I'm already planning most of the operations for the balance of '43. I won't go into detail now, but veteran players of this monster game know that planning, prepping, moving supply and massive amounts of men, takes months. Operation Circus was four months in the planning. So some of the planning I'm doing now will be timed in the winter months.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 5223
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 7:07:49 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Given this mod I would venture whatever window that you have for Hellcat superiority it is much smaller or non-existent compared to stock.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5224
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 7:27:27 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm not counting on superiority - just enough quality to compete.

I think the Hellcat will suffice. I found that rugged frames like the F4F and P40K in the hands of good pilots held their own against John's second-generation fighters like the early Tojo and the Tony (and more than held their own against the Zeros).

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 5225
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 7:31:17 PM   
witpqs

Depending on the model, the Wildcats have a top speed of ~318 mph or ~328 mph. IIRC the ~328 mph ones have only 4x .50 cal guns. The Hellcat -3 (the first one) is ~380 mph and has 6x .50 cal guns. It's really a huge improvement. Sure you have to compare it to whatever they are up against, but compared to what you had been using it's a great upgrade.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5226
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 7:58:12 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

You already know that the Allied army in Sumatra is immense. It was built around seven divisions: one Indian, 18th UK, 1st Marines, and four USA (27th, Americal, and two in the "30s"). These were reinforced by elements of two marine regiments, a few parachute fragments, some tank units and combat engineers, and a few arty units. There is also a massive amount of support, including AA, base force personnel, and HQ units including some US airforce commands and SWPac.

I haven't counted troops, but this army might be 100k to 150k. At the same time, it has been whittled through fighting and campaigning over the past seven months. I turned off replacements long ago as supply was my limiting factor. So most of the divisions are now at half strength or less. Americal (broken into it's three RCT) is nearly full strength. But 18th UK, for instance, is 118 AV, and 1st Marine is 222 AV (and neither unit has a single disabled squad, so that's a true number).

Is there any chance of evacuating cadres with long-range aircraft or submarines?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5227
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 10:23:08 PM   
poodlebrain

I refer to what you are doing in the Aleutians as doing the Monty in honor of Bernard Montgomery. Consolidating your gains and reorganizing your forces in preparation of future operations. It isn't sexy, but it is a requirement in a game as complicated as WitPAE.

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5228
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/25/2016 11:22:30 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'm not counting on superiority - just enough quality to compete.

I think the Hellcat will suffice. I found that rugged frames like the F4F and P40K in the hands of good pilots held their own against John's second-generation fighters like the early Tojo and the Tony (and more than held their own against the Zeros).

It should be noted that the second generation Hellcat that comes on in mid 44 is much faster in Da Babes. Somewhere around 390 MPH and has good stats otherwise. Along with corsairs on your carriers you should be fine.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5229
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/26/2016 12:18:45 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

You already know that the Allied army in Sumatra is immense. It was built around seven divisions: one Indian, 18th UK, 1st Marines, and four USA (27th, Americal, and two in the "30s"). These were reinforced by elements of two marine regiments, a few parachute fragments, some tank units and combat engineers, and a few arty units. There is also a massive amount of support, including AA, base force personnel, and HQ units including some US airforce commands and SWPac.

I haven't counted troops, but this army might be 100k to 150k. At the same time, it has been whittled through fighting and campaigning over the past seven months. I turned off replacements long ago as supply was my limiting factor. So most of the divisions are now at half strength or less. Americal (broken into it's three RCT) is nearly full strength. But 18th UK, for instance, is 118 AV, and 1st Marine is 222 AV (and neither unit has a single disabled squad, so that's a true number).

Is there any chance of evacuating cadres with long-range aircraft or submarines?

Really does not matter in AE. You are going to be rebuilding the units regardless. It costs very little to buy them back.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 5230
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/26/2016 12:51:41 AM   
BBfanboy

You mentioned your naval pilot pools on the previous page, and since you were on hiatus for quite some time, you may have forgotten that Naval Fighter pilot pools run dry in 1944 because of the massive expansion of the carrier fleet, of fighter squadron size, and the tendency to put two fighter squadrons on the big carriers.
If you have not already done so, the float plane squadrons at LA or San Diego can be used to train fighter pilots for the navy. This is a more pressing need than using them to train search or ASW or naval attack.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5231
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/26/2016 1:42:01 PM   
Canoerebel

6/13/43

Battle of Sumatra: No attacks or bombardments today, so John is waiting for a reinforcing division to arrive and for attack-disruption to repair. The next attack will be combined land-sea and possibly air. It might well succeed. CAs bombarded 1st Marine Div. on the west side today without effect. I counted the remaining Allied army in Sumatra: 129,000 strong. Is this the largest Allied army ever surrendered (not including the opening of the war in the PI and Malaya)? Am I fated to go down in history in this way. I do not wish to but there it is.

Operation Circus: The Allied army from Ulak up to Cold Bay is 163,000 strong. Another 20k or so unloaded at Kodiak. And many thousands (including 2+ divisions and lots of support troops) were re-routed to west coast and other locales. So I think Circus would have featured an army 250k or so at Hokkaido.

Lots of troop movements going on (and will be for weeks). Dutch Harbor garrison is down to 71k (from a high of 81k). It needs to be at 35k, so nearly 30% of that undertaking is complete.

Operation Roller Coaster: For shorthand, this is the name of the next Allied operation, which isn't set in stone but depends largely on what John does with KB now. In that regard, SigInt provided a nugget today: an unspecified IJ BB heading to Tokyo (almost certainly from Paramushiro). As mentioned yesterday, the Allies have plans for three possibilities: (1) John remains strongly in NoPac; (2) John moves strongly to CenPac; or (3) John dawdles a bit as his carriers and other ships replenish in the home islands.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5232
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/26/2016 3:38:54 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

CAs bombarded 1st Marine Div. on the west side today without effect.

While it's easy to focus on the casualities, the important thing is what is the disruption number for the division. Casualties are a good sign of the effectiveness of the bombardment, but I would be more interested in what the disruption numbers are. Could you post what they were before and after? Now that John has troops in Sabang, what are the disruption numbers for your divisions there? Are his daily naval bombardments raising them or keeping them high? IMO, these numbers will decide how long the siege last.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5233
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/26/2016 5:33:21 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Are the Marines still out of Sabang only for SL reasons?

Their organic supply would make them good defenders for a couple of attacks. At some point it's a trade off between base supply hits from over-stacking and having the AV someplace it can do some good in the delay.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5234
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/26/2016 10:29:47 PM   
Canoerebel

The Marines didn't suffer any disruption in the bombardments and bombings. The jungle-rough terrain isn't shielding them. It's the forts (level 3) that they've built. In previous jungle-rough hexes that they defended without the benefit of forts, bombardments by cruisers did disrupt them.

The Marines (with 220 AV) are blocking three enemy divisions (two infantry and one tank). They're better off serving in that capacity than contributing to the defense of Sabang, because the three enemy divisions their holding back would be considerably more powerful in Sabang's clear terrain hex.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5235
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/27/2016 9:25:55 PM   
Canoerebel

6/14/43

Battle of Sumatra: No bombardments or ground attacks today. The airfields is fully operational again, though I dare not try anything fancy after the most recent fiasco (I still have 60+ damaged aircraft there). John is clearly waiting for the right turn to combine all forces and launch a great attack. I think there's a 50/50 shot the base will fall; and probably 95% that it falls on the succeeding attack. Supply is down to 28k, so John won't harvest a windfall in that category, at least. I am buckling down to endure the great "Banzai Fest" that's coming my way. I don't begrudge John this one. He's earned it...and he had to pay dearly.

Operation Circus: P47s swing into battle for the first time, aiding in a big sweep of Amchitka with goes decisively for the Allies, who down 50+ fighters (including 28 Tojos) while losing just a handful. But my SBDs refused to fly the morning phase, which was wide open after the IJ CAP had been mauled, and ocme in naked in the afternoon. Seven are downed. Raids by Judys hit shipping at Adak, damaging about four ships including a good AK or two. Dutch Harbor garrison is down from 81k to 69k now, as that important project continues. And I'm moving forward a stout combat TF to Umnak (and thence to Adak). I think John is going to send in combat TFs to deal with the merchants, so I want to counter...and I'm hoping he might be enticed to recommit the KB up here.

Operation Roller Coaster: But John won't be enticed if he's sniffed out this next op. The first troops have already embarked (this contingent from Tahiti), but the main loading is probably about four days off. I don't have enough to proceed with everything I'd like to have, but time is critical and I have enough to hit hard. The USN fleet carriers are two or three days out of Pearl. The CVEs are perhaps three days behind. 7th USA Div. is about four days from Pearl; 7th Aust. Div. is about five days out.

This is a close thing: I can move strongly in the absence of the KB, but I can't afford a clash with KB quite yet. So my default action will be to stand down in the face of uncertainty in order to await the arrival of the two new Essex class in 32 days. But if I can confirm KB in NoPac or at Tokyo, then I'm going hard.

Operation Carnival: Once Roller Coast is done, the Allies will move back to NoPac and actively seek a carrier engagement. By then (and barring losses in the meantime), I'll have 9 fleet CVs, one RN CV, two CVL, and roughly 10-12 CVE. I think that's enough to tangle in the shadows of the big Allied base at Adak. So the Allies will press forward to invade Amchitka (a big Indian div. will arrive at East Coast in a few days and has been prepping) and Attu (1st Cav. Div. arrives in a week or two).

So, for the next two or three months, the plan is to focus on hit and run invasion in CenPac and then switch to NoPac to seek and give battle in later summer.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5236
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/28/2016 5:34:09 AM   
Canoerebel

6/15/43

Interesting turn in terms of information and potential for clashes.

Battle of Sumatra: Massed IJN bombardments of Sabang and air attacks on the troops to the west, followed by a deliberate attack that fails pretty miserably. Attack comes off at 1:2, doesn't touch three forts, and messes up a bunch of IJA divisions. John is surely beside himself. But supply went "orange" for the first time, dropping to 24k. The Allies might hold now for another week or more. The end is coming. Let's see if the Allies can hold through this month.

Four months ago today, February 15, John sent an email: "I think I can safely say that this campaign will be decided by the end of the month." In a way, he was right, because the huge bombardments that commenced on Feb. 18 proved to be ultimately decisive. But John never envisioned another 120 days (and counting) of stiff opposition.

Operation Circus: Enemy carriers (at least 390 aircraft, meaning this is at least Half KB) showed up four hexes south of Attu Island. There's a combat TF of uncertain composition but probably very strong near Amchitka. I "think" this is a strong force that's going to move up the Aleutians chain to punish the Allied merchants so busily engaged in logistics (Dutch garrison is now down from 81k to 65k). But I'm sending forward a strong combat TF consisting of CA Shropshire, CLAA San Juan, and eight Fletcher DDs. This TF will try to sprint from Umnak to Adak (nine hexes) and take station under a CAP of 200 fighters, a mix of everything: Hellcats, P38Gs, Corsairs, P47s, Kittyhawks and P40Ks. This combat TF is steaming into a hurricane and could get savaged, but John could also blunt his carrier air against a hard target (Adak CAP). Most importantly, I want to give John reason to keep KB posted up here, even if it means suffering losses.

Operation Roller Coaster: With at least Half KB in NoPac (but only 38 hexes from Midway, so modest distances are a big factor here), this operation gets a big thumbs up. It's still another six or seven days until I will be able to load transports (lots of APA and other good transports inbound, plus 7th Aus. Div. is still a good four or five days from Pearl). If Half KB remains in NoPac during this interval, the Allies should be able to move in strength and with some confidence against multiple targets. The location of the other Half KB is an unknown, but Death Star is growing strong. CVL Brandywine just arrived at Canal Zone with another CVL to follow in two days. And the RN CV at San Fran is ready tomorrow. I think Death Star is now stronger than any Half KB.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/28/2016 6:19:42 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5237
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/28/2016 5:42:05 AM   
Canoerebel

The combat report follows. It shows casualties relatively even, but I don't think that's accurate. During the combat replay, AV of at least three of the IJ divisions dropped to near zero. I think disruption and disablement is very high. In contrast, some of the Allied divisions have almost zero disruption, fatigue or disablements. A few have relatively high disruption, but this will decrease quickly since supply is still okay.

Ground combat at Sabang (44,70)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 63173 troops, 629 guns, 313 vehicles, Assault Value = 1766
Defending force 67249 troops, 1455 guns, 1742 vehicles, Assault Value = 1497

Japanese adjusted assault: 1078
Allied adjusted defense: 1463

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
6476 casualties reported
Squads: 32 destroyed, 268 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 54 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 43 disabled
Guns lost 43 (2 destroyed, 41 disabled)
Vehicles lost 26 (2 destroyed, 24 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1830 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 233 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 99 disabled
Engineers: 10 destroyed, 70 disabled
Guns lost 102 (8 destroyed, 94 disabled)
Vehicles lost 80 (10 destroyed, 70 disabled)

Assaulting units:
14th Division
38th Division
19th Division
16th Division
5th Division
15th Ind. Engineer Regiment
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
34th Ind. Engineer Regiment

Defending units:
164th Infantry Regiment
32nd Infantry Division
20th Indian Division
27th Infantry Division
503rd Parachute Regiment
2nd USMC Parachute Battalion
34th Combat Engineer Regiment
763rd Tank Battalion
182nd Infantry Regiment
132nd Infantry Regiment
99th Indian Brigade
193rd Tank Battalion
18th British Division
37th Infantry Division
102nd Combat Engineer Regiment
21st Marine Rgt /1
9th Marine Rgt /5
8th Belfast Heavy AA Regiment
175 Wing
821st Engineer Aviation Battalion
804th Engineer Aviation Battalion
205th Field Artillery Battalion
Southwest Pacific
1393rd Construction Regiment
8th USN Naval Construction Battalion
1st RM Heavy AA Regiment
138th USA Base Force
2nd Ceylon H AA Regiment
VII US Bomber Cmnd
198th Field Artillery Battalion
78th Light AA Regiment
97th Coast AA Regiment
15th USN Naval Construction Battalion
221st USN Base Force
110th USA Base Force /5

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5238
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/28/2016 3:21:17 PM   
Canoerebel

I have a turn waiting in the inbox. I'll run it tonight and then post. But I wanted to note that John III and his family are on spring break somewhere in the Colorado rockies. Given the time of year, I assume that they've gone snow skiing. He has two boys, so that sounds like a recipe for fun.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5239
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/28/2016 4:39:07 PM   
poodlebrain

How did you get a negative combat modifier for preparation in Sabang?

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5240
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/28/2016 4:58:04 PM   
Canoerebel

About 35% of the units were prepped for Langsa, which served so well as a linchpin of the Allied defenses for so long.

(in reply to poodlebrain)
Post #: 5241
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/28/2016 9:43:45 PM   
desicat

This situation in Sabang is just too much like early '42 Singapore. Plenty of troops in a good position but just not enough supply - so frustrating.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5242
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/28/2016 10:44:29 PM   
Canoerebel

That's exactly right.

When the "real siege" began on February 18 (the date bombardments commenced and the blockade was established) the Allies had 302k supply. That was alot, but another 100k might have made the difference. That 100k would have allowed me to replace infantry losses from within the divisions already on the island (so that, for instance, 18 UK wouldn't be fighting with 118 AV at the moment).

I could have bided my time and then, when I had a true Death Star, attemped to ram home supply. I decided against that option because, in the first place, there were serious doubts that Sabang would hold out past March (Death Star couldn't truly take on KB plus big bases until at least June). In the end, I didn't want to do the very thing John expected; I didn't want to send Death Star into the teeth of KB and those big airfields. I think it was the right decision. The ability to move so strongly in NoPac was one dividend. Let's see if there are any more before John wraps things up.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 5243
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/29/2016 1:08:22 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

But supply went "orange" for the first time, dropping to 24k. The Allies might hold now for another week or more.

If the airfield is operational, is there any chance of flying supplies in, and "useless mouths" out?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5244
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/29/2016 1:27:12 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

But supply went "orange" for the first time, dropping to 24k. The Allies might hold now for another week or more.

If the airfield is operational, is there any chance of flying supplies in, and "useless mouths" out?

I didn't think if that. Transport fly at 150% of normal range (instead of the shorter 'extended' range), but is that only when there is a runway? And the big question, would that also apply to B-17 bringing supply to Sabang?

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 5245
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/29/2016 1:42:15 AM   
Canoerebel

6/16/43

Battle of Sumatra: Five BBs bombard Sabang (staying for a second round that proves ineffective). Enemy bombers focus on the west side. No ground attacks. Supply is at 24k. Allied AV is down to 1300, which is 300 less than before the attacks commenced. Three divisions have 50% disruption. Two have 0%. But the Japanese units are probably much worse off.

NoPac: The CA Shropshire TF tangles with an IJN CL TF at Adak Island and comes out much the worse. Shropshire and DD Aulick (a Fletcher) go down. One IJN DD may be in trouble. This is a somewhat surprising outcome as the TF was strong and had good captains. But perhaps nighttime experience was lacking. (And I wonder how experienced the Kaigun is after four months bombarding Sabang? Has it created Uber experience?)

Half KB moved north four hexes to Attu Island. From John's perspective, he saw the strong Allied move into the Aleutians, recognized his own weakness there and at Hokkaido, and has naturally reacted strongly to stop the advance. I hope that's his mindset for another week or two.

Within 9 days, the Allies will have three divisions prepping for Amchitka (1) and Attu (2). Other troops are prepping for the adjacent bases at Shemya and Buldir. John is reinforcing strongly. 7th Div. has been at Attu since the summer of '42. And I know he has some coastal defense guns here. But this is as good a place as any to fight since it's within range of big Allied airfields.

The Allies have 425k supply at Kodiak. All the big bases down the chain are flush with supply, though Dutch remains tenuous since it is overstacked.

I'll post some screenshots later.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5246
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/29/2016 1:58:44 AM   
Canoerebel

The situation in NoPac

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5247
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/29/2016 3:14:41 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I wonder if those Fletchers would have done better on their own?

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5248
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/29/2016 11:41:57 AM   
HansBolter

Shemya is a better base than adjacent Attu.

Its airfield can be built large enough to allow B24s to operate there and reach Paramashiro Jima.

Hans

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5249
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 3/29/2016 4:48:19 PM   
Canoerebel

One of the perils every player must contend with is Victory Disease. We all have a general idea as to what it is: the idea that, after a victory or series of victories, further success is almost inevitable so that we let down our guard or forget to take the precautions necessary to avoid defeat and disaster.

Nearly every writer of an AAR is accused, from time to time, of suffering from Victory Disease. It can be a particularly noxious accusation, for oftentimes it's leveled by casual readers who are not fully aware of all the thinking and planning and precautions that went into the plan that went awry.

The Allies are about to engage in a new offensive operation. Since it follows so closely on the heals of Operation Circus, which I think has been fabulously successful, the setting is ripe for Victory Disease or accusation of Victory Disease. So I wanted to address my thinking as I transition from Circus to Roller Coaster.

The Allies have not become sufficiently powerful yet to meet Steriod KB head on. But the Allies are powerful enough to move strongly in less hostile environments, and failing to take advantage of favorable conditions would be counterproductive.

At present, at least seven Japanese BBs and a Mini KB are confirmed posted near Sabang, and a strong Half KB is posted in the Aluetians. This means that the Allies can achieve local superiority by concentrating elsewhere (if I am able to move under the current conditions), which is the plan behind Roller Coaster.

There of course is danger here. John will have interlocking bases with airfields, so enemy strike aircraft are a threat. At the moment, though, the enemy should be at a sizeable disadvantage in surface combat assets, and I don't think there is a concentration of IJ subs in the Roller Coaster area of operations. The Allies will target at least four bases and perhaps as many as seven. If successful, I'll then have my own interlocking network of bases in a position that threatens the flank of major Japanese bases to the southwest and which opens up CenPac to future moves.

We're about to transition into a new phase of the war (though, as any player knows, a defeat or major losses might setback the clock for months). In '42 and well into '43, it's very helpful to essential for the Allies to utilize suprise to attain temporary superiority of numbers at any point of attack. At some point in mid or late '43, however, the Allied OOB is strong enough that surprise, while still beneficial, is no longer critical. The Allies at that point can simply plan well, combine all available forces, and hit the enemy directly and hard. In that situation, using valuable time or bleeding off the assets needed to create feints required to achieve surprise can be counterproductive.

Barring major losses, I think Roller Coaster will be the last "early war" operation that requires surprise. If suprrise is achieved, the operation is worthwile and should succeed, and the risk is worth it. After Roller Coaster, the Allies may soon have enough power to face the enemy head on, as is the plan with Operation Carnival and the invasions of the remaining IJ bases in the Aleutians.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/29/2016 4:54:28 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5250
Page:   <<   < prev  173 174 [175] 176 177   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  173 174 [175] 176 177   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI