Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/7/2016 9:10:08 PM   
serumph

Hey Curtis! Will/can TOAW IV allow reassigning divisions to different corps, corps to different army? This deficiency in the flexibility of higher formations is one of the glaring problems with the game as is. Didn't see a mention of it in your list of IV features. I want kampfgruppes!

Gerry

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 181
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/7/2016 10:42:30 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry Leb

Hey Curtis! Will/can TOAW IV allow reassigning divisions to different corps, corps to different army? This deficiency in the flexibility of higher formations is one of the glaring problems with the game as is. Didn't see a mention of it in your list of IV features. I want kampfgruppes!

No.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to serumph)
Post #: 182
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/3/2016 8:46:59 AM   
Meyer1

So, almost a year after this was announced, I'd like to know if all of these features are being implemented or whether some were discarded, and if there are some new ones in work.

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 7/3/2016 8:49:57 AM >

Post #: 183
RE: TOAW IV features - 7/3/2016 12:37:45 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Other features may be added beyond these. It’s still a work in progress.

< Message edited by Tamas -- 2/4/2016 4:17:48 PM >

Very good question Meyer.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Post #: 184
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/3/2016 5:03:44 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

quote:

No.

I will miss this functionality. I was really hoping the development delay would have included this possibility.

Post #: 185
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/3/2016 11:45:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I will miss this functionality. I was really hoping the development delay would have included this possibility.

In WITP-AE you can reassign the commander by name, actually a specific person. Do you need that level of detail
in TOAW games as well? Perhaps you should maybe start a thread with a catchy title to act as a sort of pettion to
Tamas K. or whoever is really pulling the strings, to sort of lobby for it. And pictures demonstrating it's obvious utility are
good. Keep up the pressure. I'd like to see some changes myownself.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 186
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/4/2016 12:10:59 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

So, almost a year after this was announced, I'd like to know if all of these features are being implemented or whether some were discarded, and if there are some new ones in work.

Nothing has been discarded, though such decisions can be postponed indefinitely.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 187
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/4/2016 12:14:58 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

quote:

quote:

No.

The wishlist for TOAW is beyond huge. And we can only do a few things. They have to be diamonds.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 188
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/4/2016 1:36:27 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

quote:

Nothing has been discarded, though such decisions can be postponed indefinitely.

Hmmm... is there something that has been postponed indefinitely?

Post #: 189
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/4/2016 4:10:56 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

I mean that one can postpone the decision to discard anything indefinitely. There are things that still haven't been done yet. Does that mean that they have been discarded? No one has made any such decision.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 190
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/4/2016 5:35:53 PM   
Meyer1

quote:

I mean that one can postpone the decision to discard anything indefinitely. There are things that still haven't been done yet. Does that mean that they have been discarded? No one has made any such decision.

Well there's a hint right there for the "ETA" thread, I guess we are nowhere near the finish. Unless, of course, some things gets "postponed" for a later patch

Thanks

Post #: 191
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/4/2016 7:56:29 PM   
Lobster

quote:

Indeed Meyer. That is one depressing statement. Either IV is way off in the future or some features planned for are going to be left out. You can't discard something that is not already at hand. Very depressing.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 192
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/5/2016 3:33:36 AM   
rhinobones

Can you give us a hint of the 'diamonds"?

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 7/5/2016 3:38:31 AM >

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 193
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/5/2016 3:40:57 AM   
larryfulkerson

I think that the inclusion of the new Naval Rules is one of those diamonds. Don't you think so?

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 194
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/5/2016 4:19:29 AM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This last by Bob is really confusing. Are you saying some of the things in the features list that you posted are not implemented at all yet? That the features list isn't really a list of the features that will be included in the release, whenever that is? If including more things other than what are on the features list would delay this any longer then leave them till some future patch/DLC/whatever. I want to see this thing squeezed out before I die of old age, which is looking more likely all the time.

Post #: 195
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 7/5/2016 4:41:18 AM   
Meyer1

Well, apparently, the counter and map artwork isn't finished yet, but since this is a main feature of a "new" game , and is being done by a third party, I'm sure it will be there.
Same with the new interface, which perhaps could be somewhat simplified or some new features cut.
And, since some other features announced are not yet implemented, I would discard that some new ones will make the release.

This is my intelligence report from Bob's posts

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 196
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 8/31/2016 12:36:29 PM   
NikolaiEzhov

Can TOAW4 has a more powerful, maybe more programmable Event Editor?

Proletariat of the world, unite!

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 197
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 11/22/2016 11:39:59 PM   
Mark Breed

I am sure that you are beyond requests, but I will state it anyway.

Will the new version have the ability to add and remove equipment from units based on events? For example, when designing a scenario like the Battle of the Bugle, it would be nice to be able to motorize an airborne or infantry unit for a number of turns and, then, have the trucks go away.

Thank you for your time.

(in reply to NikolaiEzhov)
Post #: 198
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/20/2017 1:44:42 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

Well, since we are entering in the beta phase, perhaps is a good time to address this question.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 199
RE: TOAW IV features - 4/20/2017 2:25:18 AM   
woos1981

Great work development team! Thanks Bob!.I just have one question to ask. The NAVY battle will have Submarine unit right ? Thank you very much!

Post #: 200
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/20/2017 3:10:24 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

Well, since we are entering in the beta phase, perhaps is a good time to address this question.

It's still a moving target. We're still coding - and will be practically till the shipping date. One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that there is a Jump Map now.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 201
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/20/2017 3:15:46 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

It's still a moving target. We're still coding - and will be practically till the shipping date. One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that there is a Jump Map now.

Jump map? great!

Thanks.

Post #: 202
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/20/2017 3:33:36 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

• There will be additional map zoom levels between the current ones.

Is this already implemented?, and in that case, how many zoom levels are?

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 203
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/20/2017 3:39:22 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

• There will be additional map zoom levels between the current ones.

Is this already implemented?, and in that case, how many zoom levels are?

Yes. There are 10 steps. But note that while Huge, Large, and Small views are effected with separate graphics, these incremental steps are effected by scaling.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 204
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/20/2017 3:49:07 AM   
Meyer1

Cool, thanks.

Post #: 205
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/22/2017 4:35:10 AM   
Meyer1

How about the TOAW III tool tip, is it gone?

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 206
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/22/2017 12:40:04 PM   
Lobster

Tool tips have always been player adjustable. You can either make them pop up quickly or so slowly they might as well be turned off. You could also always adjust the length of time they are visible.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 207
RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments - 4/22/2017 4:41:53 PM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Tool tips have always been player adjustable. You can either make them pop up quickly or so slowly they might as well be turned off. You could also always adjust the length of time they are visible.
I know that is true for TOAW III, just wondering if is still available for IV. (hopefully with a hotkey to toggle on and off )

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 4/22/2017 4:42:25 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 208
RE: TOAW IV features - 4/24/2017 11:39:53 PM   
fastfrank

I've been trying to use TOAW III for modeling campaigns where I suspect there was the potential for improved Operational Art, and I started with Operation Cobra. To be more realistic I want to let Elmo handle the tactical employment of both sides while I limit my input to assigning objectives and loss tolerance. Would be helpful if Elmo could manage Corps or Numbered Armies, but I can work around that. The far bigger limitation is the lack of a realistic interface between the joint force and the air component at an operational level. This has generally be called "allocation & apportionment". The process [in the real world] is very simple. The air component commander proposes daily to the joint force commander the ratio planned for various air power missions [e.g. air defense/air superiority, Close Air Support [combat support]. interdiction, etc]; and the Force Commander approves or provides direction. The Force Commander then directs how to apply these missions across the AOR, either by geographical area(s) or by which formations should receive the bulk of the effort. The air component commander's CAOC then builds the Air Tasking Order for the next day.

In TOAW III, whenever I use ELMO to move ground formations he also assigns air unit missions even though I have already turned the "air assistant" off. And the only way I have found to recover is to rebuild/edit the ATO. Is there any improvement in TOAW IV to improve the air power employment at the operational level?

Everything I have seen for TOAW IV looks great and I understand that better is the enemy og good enough, but just asking....

Post #: 209
RE: TOAW IV features - 4/25/2017 5:26:43 AM   
fastfrank

Yup, I'm replying to myself, but at least after some time for reflection.

In TOAW III we can enable Elmo and select ground units and give mission commands, e.g. Attack or Advance. Wouldn't it be good to also select air formations and have a set of air-relevant commands available? And wouldn't it be useful if we command "combat support" to then click the HQ of a friendly formation and Elmo interpret this as concentrate on this formations' battles? And if we command "interdiction" and then click a hex for Elmo to interpret as "search starting with this hex and whack any enemy unit we find"? And of course it would be great if you could kindly accomplish and still release soonest....

(in reply to fastfrank)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: TOAW IV features: Corps/Army reassignments Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI