Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can I get a refund for this game if it's not what I hope?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Can I get a refund for this game if it's not what I hope? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can I get a refund for this game if it's not what I hope? - 4/2/2016 1:40:24 PM   
darkhelix

In my search for a good wargame, I've recently tried a lot of different games and, thanks to the Steam Refund policy, been able to get a refund within 2-3 hours of gametime if I discover that the game is not what I had hoped.

Is it possible to get a refund from Matrix too if I buy War in the West from your store here and find that it is not what I expected?

I have watched a few hours worth of videos about the game but nothing compares to actually trying it.

Is there a demo available so that I can try a simple short scenario?

Thanks,
Toby

< Message edited by darkhelix -- 4/2/2016 3:03:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/2/2016 2:32:54 PM   
Devonport

No idea about the refund, but it is a complex and rewarding game, and I'm not sure that two or three hours of game time will be enough to judge it.

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 2
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/2/2016 2:35:22 PM   
zakblood

there is no demo and i'm sure there is also no refund policy on games bought from here, research tbh is the best solution, and agree with above, these are epic games, might take all week to even see half of it, let alone learn how to play it

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 3
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/2/2016 2:43:34 PM   
darkhelix

Ok, thanks for the heads up.
I wouldn't judge this game so quickly but a few hours is normally enough for me to decide if a game is something that I want to invest my time learning or not.
I really wanted to get a feel for the game mechanics myself
i.e. how long does it take, do i need to manually select each counter, how much does the AI cover for me.. things like that.
My gaming time is limited to a few hours in the evenings only so I am careful about what I choose to spend it on.

< Message edited by darkhelix -- 4/2/2016 3:03:45 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/2/2016 3:04:14 PM   
darkhelix

I am really looking for a turn based combat military game without politics. I want a game focused on combat.

I enjoy Panzer Corps but find it too simplified. It is a demanding game but I don't feel that it provides an honest challenge.
I enjoyed the whole idea of Flashpoint Campaigns but the units move too slowly for me.
I love CMANO but sometimes it feels too detached, like commanding from a satellite.
I enjoy Unity of Command but it is also too simplified for me.

I love statistics and detailed unit information, with photos and images and most importantly, a smart AI to play against and tactical play.

If any of you have any tips, I really value your ideas..
Thanks,
Toby

< Message edited by darkhelix -- 4/2/2016 3:06:42 PM >

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 5
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/2/2016 3:26:06 PM   
elmo3

Nobody will ever accuse War in the West of being simplified!

Go to Youtube and search for Gary Grigsby's War in the West. You will find tutorials and game replays that will give you an excellent idea of how the game plays.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 6
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/2/2016 3:30:06 PM   
zakblood

this game is the price as there's not much to compare it with, it's on a epic scale, on the highest setting it will challenge anyone and time to play can be a day or 2 for a small battle or a year or more for a online PBEM campaign.

depth of the simulation is dependent on how you set it up and on what level of difficulty you play on and how you wish the AI to react tbh (to be honest) while learning for me it's better to play on easy and have FOW off and as much help as your skill level needs, mine is low so it can be asked to hand hold, once learnt though you can turn off all the help and play blind.

detail of combat is again dependant on settings, from a few simple notes to information overload, down almost to every single detail needed or wanted.

it's no light read before bed time either to see on how it plays, while it's not a hard game to learn, it's not a beer and pretzels game either.

i still haven't mastered Nato icon's as yet so still like me counters even

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 4/2/2016 3:32:04 PM >

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 7
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/3/2016 6:13:56 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkhelix

I am really looking for a turn based combat military game without politics. I want a game focused on combat.

I enjoy Panzer Corps but find it too simplified. It is a demanding game but I don't feel that it provides an honest challenge.
I enjoyed the whole idea of Flashpoint Campaigns but the units move too slowly for me.
I love CMANO but sometimes it feels too detached, like commanding from a satellite.
I enjoy Unity of Command but it is also too simplified for me.

I love statistics and detailed unit information, with photos and images and most importantly, a smart AI to play against and tactical play.

If any of you have any tips, I really value your ideas..
Thanks,
Toby

With that criteria you should also consider War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition.

Alfred

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 8
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/6/2016 5:06:03 PM   
darkhelix

I bought War in the East for a good price on Steam and am trying to wrap my head around that first, which might take a while..
I had a look at some of the other 'classics' and also bought DC:Barbarossa but they are all not quite what I am looking for.
Also, the zoom in a lot of these games is not large enough for my middle aged eyes.
Thanks for your tips, I hope that I can begin to understand WITE one day soon as it seems like a mighty realistic game.

< Message edited by darkhelix -- 4/6/2016 5:07:23 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/6/2016 5:22:18 PM   
zakblood

if you don't like the zoom or icon's, make them bigger, dual screen or alter your settings, as long as the game runs it's fine, i'm 49 this year and wear glasses but sometimes the small writing also effects mine, so i dual screen and tbh use a larger display than most, 2 x 27" but also have 2 x 29" as well for other games, both run at 1920x1080, as i've found that going larger than this makes them smaller so you loose more than you gain.

2560x1080 & 2560x1440

plus

3840x2160 & 3440x1440

with larger being silly money and less well supported as well atm

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 10
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/6/2016 6:52:07 PM   
darkhelix

I have a Gsync 2560x1440 monitor which is great for everything except small text!
Sometimes I wish I had stuck with 1900x1200, which is perfect for wargames.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/6/2016 9:11:06 PM   
Q-Ball

If you are liking WITE, you'll like WITW.

As Alfred said, if you REALLY want complexity, check out War in the Pacific-Admiral's Edition. I would give that game a complexity level of "10", with WITE and WITW being 6 or 7, definitely a step below.

I was learning stuff in WITP-AE right up until I stopped playing the engine, which was over 10 years...

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 12
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/6/2016 11:11:46 PM   
whoofe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

If you are liking WITE, you'll like WITW.

I agree. WITW is very much like WITE except, in my opinion, better logistics system and better air game.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 13
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/7/2016 2:47:27 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: darkhelix

I bought War in the East for a good price on Steam and am trying to wrap my head around that first, which might take a while..
I had a look at some of the other 'classics' and also bought DC:Barbarossa but they are all not quite what I am looking for.
Also, the zoom in a lot of these games is not large enough for my middle aged eyes.
Thanks for your tips, I hope that I can begin to understand WITE one day soon as it seems like a mighty realistic game.

I have to agree with Qball. War in the West is a lot like WitE, but it is on a smaller scale somewhat, due naturally to the fact that the real War in the West didn't have as many many or as many units fighting and it was a shorter amount of time to some extent. But, there are other complexities to make up for that.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to darkhelix)
Post #: 14
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/7/2016 11:07:09 PM   
Q-Ball

What I am really waiting for is WITE 2.0. I really like the Logistics system in WITW, and if done right would really be an enhancement to the WITE engine. Same with airpower.

Calibrating it is going to be very tricky; I suspect the first crack at it, the Germans will either have too many supplies or too few; it will be hard to land on "just right". But it will really add an extra layer of realism, one that is needed, as logistics was a major limitation on the Eastern front

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 15
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/8/2016 6:28:57 PM   
orey22

I have both WITE and WITW. IMHO WITE was excellent, and WITW not so much because of the airpower system. I sure hope WITE doesn't adopt what WITW is doing with the air game. I'm sure there are some that love it, but as for me I didn't. If I were designing it I would have overlaid Battle of Britain ( I.E. style of game ) onto War in the West and been done, instead of what was designed. I may be in the minority on this and so be it, but I haven't played WITW again after playing for a few months, couldn't get used to the airpower aspect at all. While I love war-games WITW was not a success for me, while WITE was fantastic.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 16
RE: Can I get a refund if this game if it's not what I ... - 4/23/2016 8:50:51 PM   
Michael Hobuss

I'm a vet WitE player, but only 1 week now with WitW. I enjoy this newer game a lot, and am still getting used to things. It's got to be the most detailed wargame I've ever played, computer or board.

Just the way I like it.

(in reply to orey22)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Can I get a refund for this game if it's not what I hope? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI