Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Partial Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Partial Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Partial Units - 4/9/2016 3:26:24 AM   
slane_slith

Whats the best thing to do with units that have "lost" their HQ's?

I was attempting to airlift a unit out of harms way when the base got over run. The leftover unit is named something like XYZ/2.

What do I do with it. I was able to get its AV unit out so its a useful unit.

Thanks/

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph" -Thomas Paine
Post #: 1
RE: Partial Units - 4/9/2016 3:54:40 AM   
rustysi

Yeah, its a sub-unit without a parent. I'm not 100% sure (and at this point should probably stop, but here goes). IIRC it won't take any replacements so it'll only become attrited through combat. If the parent can be purchased through PP's it could be recombined with said parent. Otherwise just use as is. If I'm wrong someone will correct me shortly.

Ciao

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to slane_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Partial Units - 4/9/2016 5:49:39 AM   
BBfanboy

I am also not really sure of the process, but my understanding was that after a turn or so when the AI logs the destruction of the parent, it will change the fragment into the parent. At that point it can start rebuilding.

Do NOT try to make use of the good AV in any kind of pitched combat. Without support, they will decline quickly and not recover.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3
RE: Partial Units - 4/9/2016 9:46:39 AM   
slane_slith

Thanks guys.

I was thinking that at some point that it would become the HQ and start rebuilding based on what occurred other times I played but this time it doesn't seem to be "repairing" itself.

The unit is currently at Port Blair. Would moving it to say Calcutta or Karachi make any difference.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Partial Units - 4/9/2016 12:46:51 PM   
btd64

If you have 2 parts of the same unit in 2 different locations all you need to do is get them into the same hex. If you have a partial unit that lost a portion of the whole, the unit will become the whole unit if you move it to a well supplied base. I think 20k supplies min....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 5
RE: Partial Units - 4/9/2016 7:10:10 PM   
Alfred

You have at least 2 fragments.  Until one becomes the parent you can't do any anything.

Having a base with 20k supplies has no effect on a fragment becoming the parent.

Alfred

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 6
RE: Partial Units - 4/9/2016 7:41:58 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

You have at least 2 fragments.  Until one becomes the parent you can't do any anything.

Having a base with 20k supplies has no effect on a fragment becoming the parent.

Alfred

OK. So is it a code thing and you just have to wait or what? This is a question I have. Previously I have noticed that either one fragment has to die or they have to be in the same hex. Correct, got it right....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
RE: Partial Units - 4/9/2016 8:01:47 PM   
Alfred

The code will normally make the biggest fragment into the parent.  That is usually xyz/1.

Being at a well stocked base assists in taking on replacements for a parent, although there is always a limit taking into account what is out there in fragments.  It itself does not convert a fragment into the parent.

Alfred

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 8
RE: Partial Units - 4/11/2016 3:38:21 AM   
slane_slith

In my case its a single fragment. The rest/bulk of the unit was destroyed when the AI attacked the base that it was at. I had made one or two airlifts when the base was overrun.

Once again thanks to everyone

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: Partial Units - 4/11/2016 12:02:24 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: slane

In my case its a single fragment. The rest/bulk of the unit was destroyed when the AI attacked the base that it was at. I had made one or two airlifts when the base was overrun.

Once again thanks to everyone

In post #1 you said it is named XYZ/2.

That means only one of two things. Either you have a bug and the fragment has not been converted into the parent or you have another part of the unit, be it the parent or XYZ/1 somewhere and you have not located where it is.

Alfred

Post #: 10
RE: Partial Units - 4/11/2016 10:00:18 PM   
spence

I think you may be able to disband an otherwise useless fragment in certain bases (like SF etc). The devices can then be used as replacements for other units.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
RE: Partial Units - 4/12/2016 2:55:25 AM   
slane_slith

I've tried to post a photo but there's no way for me to do it.

The unit organization button is dark. I also checked under the "all ground units" tab and its the only "part" listed.

The unit is currently "stuck" at Port Blair. I hope to load and move it to India soon. If the amount of supply at base has something to do with it then that could be the problem. My supply line broke down and Port Blair was completely out of supplies for the past several days.

Thanks

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 12
RE: Partial Units - 4/12/2016 9:21:08 AM   
BBfanboy

To post a screen shot:
1. Centre the screen on what you want to post, or bring up the unit window to capture that
2. Hit the PrtScr button at the top right area of the keyboard. This puts a copy of the screen image on your clipboard.
3. Start up an image manipulating program like Paint or Paint.NET. Paste the image from the clipboard onto the canvas.
4. Crop the image to the part you want to post, then save the image as a JPEG. Make sure you know which folder it has been saved in and what you named it.
5. Start up your forum post as normal and do all your typing before the picture.
6. At the bottom of the posting screen, click first on the box next to "Embed picture in post", then click on the hypertext "Click here to upload!". This will bring up a dialogue box - choose "Browse".
7. Navigate to the file folder where you have your screen shot saved and find the file. Click on it to select it, choose "Open file"
8. Wait for the file to upload. When it says "Upload successful" click OK to post the message with the picture attached.

If the upload fails, it is usually because the file is the wrong format (only JPEG and GIF are supported) or the size is too big. If that is the case, re-open the picture in your image program and resize it smaller, save it again and try again to upload it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 13
RE: Partial Units - 4/12/2016 2:19:07 PM   
slane_slith

Thanks BBfanboy! I was using the fast reply "tab". Apparently you cant add a picture from there...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Partial Units - 4/12/2016 6:05:09 PM   
BBfanboy

Is that image of the unit screen BEFORE the other parts were destroyed or after?

If after, the 108th/2 should mean there is a /1 part out there somewhere. I am not sure how quickly the program will renumber fragments when other fragments are destroyed though. Should only be a turn or two.

Search the land units list again filtered for British Engineer Units and look for any other 108th BF fragment. If that ain't it, I am at a loss and you may indeed have a bug that will not re-designate the fragment as the parent.

Post #: 15
RE: Partial Units - 4/12/2016 6:12:01 PM   
Alfred

It is neither a bug nor a fragment.

That unit IS the parent unit.  It is #ID 6319 with a TOE #ID 2824.  IIRC it starts off at Victoria Point.

Alfred

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Partial Units - 4/12/2016 6:13:52 PM   
btd64

My opinion, that fragment isn't worth risking ships over. If it's the only part left, lose it and buy back the whole unit later....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 4/12/2016 6:16:03 PM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Partial Units - 4/12/2016 6:16:35 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

It is neither a bug nor a fragment.

That unit IS the parent unit.  It is #ID 6319 with a TOE #ID 2824.  IIRC it starts off at Victoria Point.

Alfred

That too. I was looking at that unit just before bed last night. Good catch Alfred. ...GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 4/12/2016 6:19:39 PM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Partial Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI