Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/2/2016 3:55:50 PM   
witpqs

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 211
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/7/2016 6:22:13 AM   
PizzaMan

Greetings all, thank you for all for the continued support. I just got a new pc with Windows 10, and had a heck of a time trying to run our favorite game. After combing this thread, and hours of switch tweaking, I am finally up and running. IMO, planning is actually improved now over Windows 7. I have yet to run a turn though, but I am hopeful that there will be no additional Win 10 issues.

These switches worked very well for me:
-dd_sw -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders -cpu4 -px1920 -py1080 -f -archive

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 212
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/7/2016 6:51:26 AM   
BBfanboy

What did you mean by "planning improved" Pizza Man?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to PizzaMan)
Post #: 213
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/9/2016 3:57:18 AM   
boxof9

I'm having the same issue. I'm also very computer illiterate. Where did you find the installation folder?

(in reply to Beilisarius)
Post #: 214
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/9/2016 7:32:09 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: boxof9

I'm having the same issue. I'm also very computer illiterate. Where did you find the installation folder?

Well, what exactly is the problem you have?

What exactly have you done to attempt to fix it?

What exactly have you read in the many threads and posts on getting Windows 10 to run the game well?

What exactly do you not comprehend in the many solutions which have been provided?

Being computer illiterate is not an excuse for not being diligent in resolving the problem or providing meaningful data to give a hint to others how to assist. This very thread has many posts which graphically show computer illiterates what to do in the relevant screens.

Alfred

(in reply to boxof9)
Post #: 215
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/10/2016 12:19:36 AM   
boxof9

Wow.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 216
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/10/2016 4:37:30 PM   
sanderz

theres a "readme" in the main installation folder, look for the section headed "IMPORTANT - Dual/Quad Core Performance and Command Line Switches"

if you can't find the installation folder i wouldn't know where to begin

(in reply to boxof9)
Post #: 217
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/10/2016 6:42:20 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: boxof9

Wow.

Alfred comes across as pretty harsh, but his points are valid. A lot of people have already taken the time to post all the info you need with pictures in this thread and maybe a couple of others dealing with Win 10 installation issues. Until you take the time to learn what they have been trying to teach there, it is not fair to ask for further hand-holding.

The only way to cease being a computer illiterate is to study what you don't know and get to the stage where you can define your problems and ask specific questions. If you don't know how to navigate your computer's file system, I think you can run tutorials from Microsoft about how that works. This game demands a lot of learning to play, so you need to be tenacious in struggling through the learning curve. Good luck, and don't give up.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to boxof9)
Post #: 218
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/11/2016 2:51:52 AM   
boxof9

Wow again. Thanks for the lecture. I'll consider my questions more carefully in the future.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 219
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/11/2016 6:32:50 AM   
wdolson

Questions are always welcome here, but it helps everyone including you if you can describe the problem in as much detail as possible.

Understanding how to change the command line for the game helps to fix many of the problems you're going to run into. The game uses some old DirectX calls that don't work very well on multi-processor computers and sometimes with modern video cards. The command line switches can fix these problems, but each computer is a little different, so you have to experiment. The command line can be accessed by right clicking on the game start up icon on the desktop or the start menu and selecting Properties from the menu that pops up.

Matrix installs most of their games in folder called Matrix Games on the C: drive. If your going to be delving in there learning how Windows Explorer (different thing from Internet Explorer) works and there is info online about how that works. If you want to install mods, you'll probably need to poke around in the game folder a bit. It isn't very tough, but you'll have to learn a couple of things about the tools built into Windows first.

This forum is generally very helpful to new players. Please don't let a bad experience the first time scare you off.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to boxof9)
Post #: 220
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/12/2016 2:19:50 PM   
m10bob

Bill...It's the damnest thing..I thought all my win10 problems were resolved because I am having no problems with the RHS mod whatsoever..(It runs outside the Matrix Games folder entirely).

I then fresh installed the stock game into the usual Matrix folder and it is having all the "slow moving" issues, in spite of the fact I am using the exact same switches as the RHS installation!

Being a "plank owner", of course the addiction to the game is serious,(LOL), and I never "give up).

I am doing all sorts of experimenting.

The new computer I use now is pretty much a copy of my last...An HP Pavilion with quad core..(which I was also able to play on thanks to your help on the last computer.)

I will let the folks in the forum know what finally resolved my issues...and will check back to see if anybody else has come up with a solution on why one version works...and not the original.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 221
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/12/2016 3:05:04 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Bill...It's the damnest thing..I thought all my win10 problems were resolved because I am having no problems with the RHS mod whatsoever..(It runs outside the Matrix Games folder entirely).

I then fresh installed the stock game into the usual Matrix folder and it is having all the "slow moving" issues, in spite of the fact I am using the exact same switches as the RHS installation!

Being a "plank owner", of course the addiction to the game is serious,(LOL), and I never "give up).

The new computer I use now is pretty much a copy of my last...An HP Pavilion with quad core..(which I was also able to play on thanks to your help on the last computer.)

I will let the folks in the forum know what finally resolved my issues...and will check back to see if anybody else has come up with a solution on why one version works...and not the original.

Maybe a subtle typo in the switches, Bob?

Or even (maybe) you modified a shortcut that is pointing at autorun.exe instead of directly at the main game exe file?

< Message edited by witpqs -- 4/12/2016 3:07:46 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 222
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/12/2016 4:20:59 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Or even (maybe) you modified a shortcut that is pointing at autorun.exe instead of directly at the main game exe file?

If you did a copy/paste install, it's always best to create a new shortcut from the AdmiralEdition.exe file and then add your switches in. I know that I've forgotten to do that, and then wondered why things were wonky.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 223
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/12/2016 4:46:05 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

I am positive the error is mine, just working thru what all I have done..Latest attempt was this:"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -altFont -archive -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw

Now, the fact is the original file I am using in this shortcut(as you can see) is marked "autorun.exe", which differs from that RHS mod which works just fine!!..Might be on it guys!!!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 224
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/12/2016 4:56:03 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

THAT WAS IT!!! I did not scroll down thru the files to the correct exe icon graphic and had made a shortcut of the "autorun.exe" instead......

If I ever break my leg playing football or something...I only hope you and Admiral Dadman are around to haul my dummazz off the field, again, LOL....

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 225
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/13/2016 12:35:05 AM   
wdolson

You should be using the game EXE not the autorun.exe.

I'm mildly dyslexic and I sweat when I need to copy a long string of characters and can't just copy and paste. I'll get something wrong and then not be able to see it and I pull my hair out for a long time. It gets a lot worse when I'm tired.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 226
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/13/2016 2:07:46 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

You should be using the game EXE not the autorun.exe.

I'm mildly dyslexic and I sweat when I need to copy a long string of characters and can't just copy and paste. I'll get something wrong and then not be able to see it and I pull my hair out for a long time. It gets a lot worse when I'm tired.

Bill

In my case...as usual...you are being polite.

My experiences of late are a living testimony to the fantastic friends and help to be found on these forums.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 227
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/15/2016 10:40:56 PM   
anglonorman

I have a new gaming laptop, WIndows 10, 2Gig Nvidia GTX960 Graphics Card, 16g DDR4 memory. Yep a top a flight system and this game runs like absolute crap on it. Tried all the switches mentioned here and the game lags terribly, like 10-15 seconds to execute a mouse click command on a hex or unit icon. The game also will not adhere to any graphics switches I use from the lowly 1024x768 to 1920x1080. They just don't work. I have a desktop system which is about a year old (in terms of upgrades) with win7 64 bit, GTX750ti Graphics card 1920x1080 display 16gb ddr3 memory and the game runs fine on that system. No lags and relatively smooth scrolling.But on my new Laptop no way. I think for a newer system nothing is going to work unless the developers tweak or show us how to tweak the graphics file for the game. NOT WINDOWS 10 COMPATIBLE in my case for sure.

< Message edited by Daviddas -- 4/15/2016 10:43:44 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 228
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/15/2016 10:49:49 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daviddas

I have a new gaming laptop, WIndows 10, 2Gig Nvidia GTX960 Graphics Card, 16g DDR4 memory. Yep a top a flight system and this game runs like absolute crap on it. Tried all the switches mentioned here and the game lags terribly, like 10-15 seconds to execute a mouse click command on a hex or unit icon. The game also will not adhere to any graphics switches I use from the lowly 1024x768 to 1920x1080. They just don't work. I have a desktop system which is about a year old (in terms of upgrades) with win7 64 bit, GTX750ti Graphics card 1920x1080 display 16gb ddr3 memory and the game runs fine on that system. No lags and relatively smooth scrolling.But on my new Laptop no way. I think for a newer system nothing is going to work unless the developers tweak or show us how to tweak the graphics file for the game. NOT WINDOWS 10 COMPATIBLE in my case for sure.

You haven't applied the switches correctly. You are not the only person in the world using Win10 and the others who use it have had success when they have applied the switches correctly.

Put up screenshots showing the switches you claim have failed to work so we can see exactly what you have done incorrectly.

Alfred

(in reply to anglonorman)
Post #: 229
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/15/2016 11:07:54 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

You haven't applied the switches correctly. You are not the only person in the world using Win10 and the others who use it have had success when they have applied the switches correctly.

Put up screenshots showing the switches you claim have failed to work so we can see exactly what you have done incorrectly.

Alfred

A vast majority of the time "slow mouse click response" problem is cured by the -deepColor switch applied to the target field of a shortcut to the AdmiralEdition.exe file (not the autorun.exe).

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 230
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/15/2016 11:14:05 PM   
Korvar

quote:

-wd -pxf1888 -pyf1062 -archive -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw -altFont -skipVideo

These are the switches I'm using in Win10 and WitP:AE runs great. -deepColor and -dd_sw are the ones to pay particular attention with regards to Win10 / interface performance. The above is set up for windowed mode in order to easily switch between the game and Tracker, Combat Reporter, and my planning map on other monitors.

(in reply to anglonorman)
Post #: 231
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 7:47:47 PM   
MBF

Did anyone solve the issue of the 'tabbing' out that occurs if playing full screen ? I will play for 30 seconds to 2 minutes and my desktop appears - then the game comes back about 2 sec later - I have not done exhaustive tests of the command line switches but when I am back to my PC I will post the settings

Edit: Here is my shortcut:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -deepColor -archive -px1920 -py1080 -f -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders

Part of me wonders if this is something that will go away after a day or 2 - I just updated to Win10 yesterday

< Message edited by MBF -- 4/17/2016 8:27:28 PM >

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 232
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 9:09:53 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBF

Did anyone solve the issue of the 'tabbing' out that occurs if playing full screen ? I will play for 30 seconds to 2 minutes and my desktop appears - then the game comes back about 2 sec later - I have not done exhaustive tests of the command line switches but when I am back to my PC I will post the settings

Edit: Here is my shortcut:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -deepColor -archive -px1920 -py1080 -f -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders

Part of me wonders if this is something that will go away after a day or 2 - I just updated to Win10 yesterday

The way I have solved it for myself is this. I have two shortcuts, one for full screen mode, one for windowed mode. I run the combat replay (aka turn resolution) in full screen mode. Then I exit the game, and run the shortcut for windowed mode. That is where I give orders because I can easily switch back and forth to other programs quite easily with no stupid side-effects.

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 233
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 9:22:52 PM   
MBF

Thanks - witpqs :-)

Out of curiosity - I tried windowed - but I run a dual monitor setup so scrolling north/south/west is not a problem but if I scroll to the east I have to hit a really small 'sweet spot' to get the map to scroll - or click on the mini-map - is there way around this ?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 234
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 9:28:34 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Out of curiosity - I tried windowed - but I run a dual monitor setup so scrolling north/south/west is not a problem but if I scroll to the east I have to hit a really small 'sweet spot' to get the map to scroll - or click on the mini-map - is there way around this ?

I've never messed with multiple monitors - I have no clue.

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 235
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 10:22:11 PM   
BillBrown

I scroll to the East using the left arrow key. It is habit now and I do it without thinking about it.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 236
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 10:29:41 PM   
MBF

+1

That will work ! Thanks Bill !

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 237
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 10:40:49 PM   
Korvar

quote:

Personally, I use the arrow keys on the keyboard to do all map scrolling, which I have mapped to a Logitech G13 gamepad for convenience/comfort.

If you really like mouse scrolling, you need to lock the mouse to the monitor where WitP:AE is. DisplayFusion Pro can do this via its 'Lock/Unlock Mouse to Current Monitor' function. It does cost $ to purchase, but I highly recommend it in general for multi-monitor setups. Keep in mind you'll want the game window to reach the horizontal edges of your primary monitor in order for the mouse edge detection to work. The locking just prevents the cursor from continuing to the other screen, effectively holding the cursor in the 'sweet spot' for you.

From doing a quick search, there are also some other programs like the free CursorLock that can do the same thing; I haven't used any of them, though, so I can't comment on their functionality. Cursor Lock seems promising, though.

< Message edited by Korvar -- 4/17/2016 10:43:14 PM >

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 238
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 11:13:17 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I scroll to the East using the left arrow key. It is habit now and I do it without thinking about it.

Am I dyslexic, or do you mean West with the left arrow?

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 239
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 4/17/2016 11:18:27 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Am I dyslexic, or do you mean West with the left arrow?

Just me I guess. I can use the mouse to scroll the map up, down, or to the right. But it doesn't work to the left.
Anyway, I use the arrow keys to do most of my scrolling.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI