Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Old Fighter School

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Old Fighter School Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old Fighter School - 4/18/2016 11:56:42 AM   
marksi10

Call me slow, but it has taken me almost a year to get round to experimenting with Cold War Database...and I love it! It´s like a whole new game! I have been trialling UK and Soviet aircraft against each other.

The first was Meteor vs Mig-15, the second Javelin vs. Mig-19 and the third Mig-21 vs Lightning. The UK won overall in all these matchups. The planes are very similarly matched, so I´m not quite sure why this happened, unless it has to do with the UK fighters having better guns. The most enjoyable match up was the last, as each fighter had its own advantages: the Lightning its speed and seemingly better guns, and the Mig-21 its agility and seemingly better missiles. It´s amazing that the Lightning has another 200-odd knots on a Mig-21, or another 100-odd knots on a Raptor for that matter!

On the subject of guns, does anyone know whether the number of rounds per burst is modelled in air combat? The Lightning fires 60 rounds vs 10 for the Mig-21, but this did not seem to be reflected in the final probability to hit, although as I said the UK fighters found their target much more often (both sides had regular pilots).

Anyway, it´s fun going back to the old days with proper dogfights. I even trialled a Spitfire against a B.109 and against a Mig-15, both of which it defeated! The Mosquito didn´t stand a chance against the Lak-15 however. Can anyone recommend a really old school scenario?

< Message edited by marksi10 -- 4/18/2016 12:00:59 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Old Fighter School - 4/18/2016 4:21:59 PM   
marksi10

I just trialled the Lightning against the Starfighter. Again they were well matched overall, with the Starfighter´s agility not quite making up for the shorter range of its guns. As with the Mig-21s, if the Starfighters survived the merge they generally won, but the Lightnings generally shot them down before it became a turning fight.

I would like to continue trialling UK against USSR, but I think I´ve just run out of UK fighters! At least according to this game the UK fighter industry more than held its own against both the US and the USSR, what a pity we didn´t have the economic strength to sustain it!

I think I will trial US against USSR now.

(in reply to marksi10)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Old Fighter School Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI