Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

german positions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> german positions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
german positions - 5/3/2001 9:31:00 PM   
panzerfist

this has nothing to do with spwaw, but i know this is a very active and smart board so... i am looking for information regarding german titles like, what would a squad leader be called, a platoon sgt and so on or a place where i can find this information. i am kind of under the impression that these titles were not used and it was kept to ranks, but im not sure. thanks p/f/

Post #: 1
- 5/3/2001 10:45:00 PM   
Voriax

Hello I think you'll find what you need from:http://www.feldgrau.com/ranks.html And that site is pretty incredible and well worth exploring further. Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 2
- 5/4/2001 1:55:00 AM   
panzerfist

ive been there a lot and have seen the ranks, but im wondering if there are specific titles that squad leaders or platoon leaders went by. thanks

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 3
- 5/4/2001 9:56:00 PM   
jwelch

I think the terms you are looking for are "gruppenfuhrer" and "zugfuhrer." A gruppenfuhrer was a squad leader and zugfuhrer was a platoon leader coming from gruppe (squad) and zug (platoon) in German. However, in the Heer (Army) it was customary to refer to these people as "Herr [insert rank.]" That is, you might have Oberfeldwebel Steiner who was a zugfuhrer, but the men in his platoon would commonly refer to him as "herr oberfeldwebel" while they understood he was their "zugfuhrer." To complicate things, I think the SS commonly referred to men by rank and then last name, meaning that in the SS the men would say "Hallo, Oberfeldwebel Steiner." Or, something like that.

Jay Welch "Never suspect treachery when simple incompetence will suffice" -Napoleon's Maxims of War

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 4
- 5/4/2001 10:19:00 PM   
Larry Holt

It is also customary to address a Oberfeldwebel as Oberfeld, at least it was when I was there in 1980's.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 5
- 5/5/2001 5:35:00 AM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Holt: It is also customary to address a Oberfeldwebel as Oberfeld, at least it was when I was there in 1980's.
Inofficial 'nickname'. You shouldn't have done that in the SS unless you wanted some real trouble :-) A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 6
- 5/5/2001 8:05:00 PM   
murx

In the SS it would be more like 'Herr Sturmbannfuehrer' or 'Obersturmbannfuehrer', and no it was not a problem if one call him 'Herr Obersturm' - aslong as he is not a complete incapable blockhead and this only happens during 'hot' times - in combat, or the other 'hot' times - like in a French bar with some good looking ... but probably not back in some parade ground ... murx

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 7
- 5/6/2001 3:19:00 AM   
Jacc

... but it wasn't necessary to add "Herr" when talking to higher officers etc. Nicht "Herr Sturmoberst" (oder etwas), nur "Sturmoberst Porsch".

Pain is for the weak.

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 8
- 5/7/2001 4:19:00 AM   
murx

James, right, in combat the 'Herr' would be dropped - but not as often as one would think, cause it would distract the speaking rythm so most of the time one would use it even in combat. Whereas the 'short form' of a rank would ehnace the sound or rythm of speaking. But that are small diferences in languages that aren't easily understood in a different language. The shortform of seargent 'sarge' doesn't exist or better would not be used. The only 'short form' is the official abbrevation 'Uffz' - but is not used in talking cause there is a mean joke: What is the sound a pig makes when it runs against a wall ? 'Uffz' And what if he done it twice ? 'StUffz' (Stabsunteroffizier). murx

(in reply to panzerfist)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> german positions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI