Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITW and WITE Crash to desktop

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> WITW and WITE Crash to desktop Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITW and WITE Crash to desktop - 4/22/2016 1:26:04 AM   
MarkFroio

I've had this problem with WITE and now with WITW. It tends to happen after I've been playing a while and after I've clicked on the the "Info Screen" tabs. It seems to be happening more often now, so I've decided to seek some help.

I think I ran the DxDiag the proper way and zipped and attached it. Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: WITW and WITE Crash to desktop - 4/22/2016 4:31:47 AM   
MarkFroio

Okay, it just happened again. It seems to happen while the German turn is in progress. I'm playing the WA. I get a screen that reads" WarInTheWest Application has stopped working". And it asked if I wanted to send the info to Microsoft. This is the info:
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE8A3.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\WER24C.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\WER26C.tmp.mdmp

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I'm playing verision 1.01.20 running Windows 7 64 bit.

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 2
RE: WITW and WITE Crash to desktop - 4/22/2016 6:51:04 AM   
zakblood

for me, and yes i know the game does say you need 128mb of video to work, which you have, but lets have a look at what you don't have first and go from there...

Video Card: 128MB DirectX 9+ Compatible

Display Memory: 256 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 256 MB

first point is, 128mb of video to work implies it's a minimum requirement to have, of Dedicated Memory and not shared, imo this needs changing in the read me's (but could be wrong)

driver date of drivers for vga Driver Date/Size: 9/23/2009

audio 11/20/2010

and no error reports logged in this report so nothing else to go on, so my opinion is this,

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)

then after all these are done, re try, it may still crash as for me your on the limits on the hardware you have i'm sorry to say, then again i'd guess you already know this?

what you can try is turn off as much background apps and processors that you can safely do before you play and free up as much extra power you can, it may help, but i'd guess not by enough to make it much more stable either tbh

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 3
RE: WITW and WITE Crash to desktop - 4/22/2016 10:14:23 AM   
VPaulus

Please open the game installation folder, find a subfolder named "Dat" and open it. Rename the subfolder named "sound" as "-sound".
Run the game and check if the issue persists.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: WITW and WITE Crash to desktop - 4/23/2016 1:24:14 AM   
MarkFroio

Zakblood, Thanks for the prompt reply. I did everything you said, except check the game pre requisite. How do I do that? Anyway, after doing those other things, I played three turns with no crash. I've go my fingers crossed, and will keep you posted on how it goes. Thank you very much.

VPaulus, I did rename the sound sub-folder a couple of weeks ago after looking through the forum. That doesn't seem to be the problem here, but thanks for the suggestion.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> WITW and WITE Crash to desktop Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI