Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A long, long road to victory;looking for shotcuts though

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> A long, long road to victory;looking for shotcuts though Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A long, long road to victory;looking for shotcuts though - 4/7/2003 12:39:11 AM   
Nuclear Winter

First of all, hello people, nice to meet you all,
I have downloaded SP WAW and after some time of endless sufering I managed to achieve my first victories at it. :)
I am currently at Scenario number 2 of the Long, Long road to victory campaign, and I would like to know what should I buy with those 800 support points.
I actually have 2 mehcanized engineer platoons, one ranger company, if I recall corectly 6 shermans of the latest model and 6 m15´s, plus some Mg´s and 2 jeeps with recon groups.
Any hints are veeery welcome...

Nuclear Winter,
hoping to have some nice times playing SP WAW
Post #: 1
- 4/7/2003 2:31:49 AM   
Goblin

Welcome aboard! Is this Nuke from FON?

Goblin

(in reply to Nuclear Winter)
Post #: 2
- 4/8/2003 12:44:45 AM   
Griefbringer

Remember that what you buy with your support points is for one battle only - so you will lose them after the battle, and get to buy new support troops for your next one.

So you should buy troops that are most appropriate for the scenario, so start by doing your intel work. Check out the scenario description for what is your task - defence, amphibious assault, ground assault on prepared or improvised defences, meeting engagement, quick raid, breakout or something else. Check out if there is anything known about the possible enemy (but take it with a grain of salt, it could be misleading). And very importantly take a look at the map for terrain (open, hilly, forested, towns etc.) and check the visibility conditions.

As a general rule, in close terrain and poor visibility infantry becomes more useful, while on open areas long ranged weapons like cannons and MGs (whether on tanks or on foot) become more effective and unsupported infantry will not fare against them. Against static enemy artillery becomes a powerful weapon, and with smoke rounds it can change the local visibility conditions on your favour.

On missions where you need to advance, mobility is very useful. It is normally handy to make sure that your infantry is equipped with transports, and tanks are more handy than heavy weapons on foot because they can move and fire (and pack some armour), while on defensive static MGs and ATGs are very handy (especially when packed up with infantry and small mobile tank reserve).

And combined arms are always important - make sure that you can deal effectively with everything the enemy throws at you (infantry, massed tanks, bunkers, air strikes, artillery etc.), though it has to be pointed out that SP scenarios usually are pretty tank orientated in a sense that the tanks-to-men ratio on the opposing force is usually rather heavy, so you need to pack a plenty of anti-tank capacity if you want to be succesful.

So there is not one good way of picking the support troops, you have to think what you will need. Experience is the best teacher here, so try out different units and you will learn soon what is a suitable role for certain unit.

If I had to recommend something specific to your force, I could say that some more recon forces and anti-tank weapons might come useful in a lot of scenarios.

Griefbringer

Post #: 3
- 4/9/2003 2:08:14 AM   
Nuclear Winter

hello folks,
Hey Goblin! I don´t know what a FON is, so I am probably not from such... :D
About anti-tank weapons, what would you recomend me? buying regular anti-tank stuff like those ground canons, tank destroyers, M10´s or just some more shermans?
Also, what american plane is good against tanks?
Nuclear Winter

Post #: 4
Re: A long, long road to victory;looking for shotcuts t... - 4/9/2003 1:03:41 PM   
bigtroutz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nuclear Winter
[B]First of all, hello people, nice to meet you all,
I have downloaded SP WAW and after some time of endless sufering I managed to achieve my first victories at it. :)
I am currently at Scenario number 2 of the Long, Long road to victory campaign, and I would like to know what should I buy with those 800 support points.
I actually have 2 mehcanized engineer platoons, one ranger company, if I recall corectly 6 shermans of the latest model and 6 m15´s, plus some Mg´s and 2 jeeps with recon groups.
Any hints are veeery welcome...

Nuclear Winter,
hoping to have some nice times playing SP WAW [/B][/QUOTE]

I generally buy support units like this:
1) xtra artillery, esp heavy stuff like 155mm, 5.5"
2) xtra scouts on jeeps/halftracks, maybe combined with bazookas

I like wolverines/achilles with a scout mounted but this would be in my core force, and purchase these instead of the early years' ronson Shermans with poor mobility, pea-shooter gun, and high expense. BTW, the British Achilles is a much cheaper wolverine.

Post #: 5
- 4/9/2003 8:31:11 PM   
Griefbringer

As for anti-tank capacity, there are many good things around, it depends on the situation. If the visibility ranges are short, then bazookas are handy, at long ranges AT-guns rock. If you need to advance, then armoured vehicles become more useful - Shermans are effective in large numbers, Wolverines are effective but also very vulnerable to enemy AT-fire.

As for planes against tanks, I wouldn't usually count too much on those - they have a decent chance of killing the tank on attack, but they get relatively few attacks, and sometimes those get directed against your own tanks.

Griefbringer

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> A long, long road to victory;looking for shotcuts though Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI