Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/20/2016 3:05:58 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Is there really a strategy that always works?

I don't think that is the issue.
The issue is, as Harrybanana demonstrated, that at some point it simply makes more VP for the Allied player to turtle and bomb to game end. As Joel mentioned, this could be countered to some degree in an EF box game, but I've played a few EF box games and that abstraction is a pain to manage well and I'd really rather play without it.

What we're looking for is a reason in the VP system for the Allies to try and get to the Elbe (or Berlin).
To those that say this is trying to force 'history' on the player, my response is simply that the game is a reflection of the war, and the goals of that war should be reflected in the game.
This isn't a 1936 or 1946 What If? It's from the middle of the WW2 to the end of WW2.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 181
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/20/2016 3:33:04 PM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

I have yet to play a game that didn't involve an awful lot of luck that wasn't decided in the middle, or was made clear what the inevitable conclusion is before the end approached.

That is just a fact of gaming. You can only really eliminate it by allowing extreme luck...a game like Advanced Squad Leader. Then you play on hoping for the extreme luck to save your ass.

Is there really a strategy that always works? For example will the allies always win by invading, turtling and just strat bombing to victory without attacking? Or can the Germans prevent such a win, if they suspect that is the route they are taking? If what the Germans do is meaningless because the allies can bomb cities to win, then there is a problem. I suspect, and will find out in my game with HarryBanana, that is not the case.

I think there is a counter to every strategy in the game, but some strategies are more effective to the unwary opponent.

As Seminole says LS it is my belief that there are 2 separate problems with the VP System.

The first is that the WA Player can bomb himself to Victory. You will probably prove me wrong on this point. Though I suspect that will be due more to the fact that you are a much better and more experienced player than me than anything else. A better test might have been if you had played Carlkay or someone else who is better at Strategic bombing than me. But I am the one who made the challenge, so too late to back out now.

The second problem is that, in an EF BOx Off Game, whatever the VPs are by the summer of 44 (ie whether I am winning or you are winning) I am going to maximise my VPs by turtling. So if, for example, in September 44 my VPs are -400 I will still be better off by turtling than I would by continuing to attack. That way I can perhaps at least hold you to a Minor Victory whereas if I keep attacking you will probably win a Major Victory or better. The one exception to this is if there is a reasonable chance of the WA Player capturing Berlin before game end and thus earning the bonus VPs.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention above that I did not earn any bonus VPs at games end as Carlkay thought I might.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 182
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/20/2016 3:36:38 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite
I think the vps for cities at the end must be looked at (same as Torch). A WA Turtle is just inconceivable historically and does not make for a good game...

+1. A modded scenario with vps bonus/penalities for holding cities at the end seems a clever solution to me.

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 183
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/20/2016 4:32:29 PM   
KWG

Views on air power at the time.

"A major factor at the root of this was the fervent belief of the RAF's founders that they had found a "better way" to win wars, and that, indeed, they had rendered the two older services obsolescent, if not obsolete. Wars would be won in the future, the apostles of air power's new vision argued, not by massed amies or fleets, but by massed bombers, striking directly at the heart of any enemy's homeland."

"The ultimate reduction of the enemy nation may (and very likely will) be undertaken, not by the traditional methods of land invasion, or by continued assaults upon their armies in the field, but by air measures. That is to Say it will become an air campaign, and the task of the army will be simply to protect the air bases."

Sir Charles Portal, officially argued to the Cabinet that:
"The Army has no primary offensive role ... We aim to win the war in the air, not on land . Undoubtedly we must build up land forces as well with the priorities already assigned, but as far as the continent is concerned these forces will be used as an Army of Occupation after the bombing offensive has crushed the enemy's will to resist. It is essential not to allow the clarity of the existing directive to become blurred. Our hopes of winning the war depend on the strength of the Bomber Force in the spring of 1943 ... I submit that major diversions [of resources away from bomber forces to army support] should only be pemlltted as the result of a major change of policy."

WitW allows one to test this theory. Do the VPs as they are reflect this. Does the German have to react to the turtling by combating this with flak, fighters and a aggressive ground offense.

OR

One can do as Iam currently doing and say to this theory - NO, the Air Force is a tool of the ground forces and is a subject of the Army.

OR

A little of this and a little of that.

Since the awarding of VPs is mainly dependent on the actions of the Allies, to influence VPs does the German have to react to....

< Message edited by KWG -- 1/20/2016 5:53:03 PM >

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 184
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/21/2016 12:34:45 AM   
LiquidSky

I am beginning to lean towards the idea that they need to separate the different ways of vps and put in milestones. Instead of lumping it all into one number.

Then you can gauge the level of victory by how well the allies gain the different ways. Say....Casualty points, Strat bombing, and city points.

If you get to a certain level in all three..then you win a decisive victory. You only win in one level, it is a marginal victory.

I just cant see how you can adjust vps so that one magical number does all. The game is too complex for that.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 185
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/21/2016 11:05:04 AM   
soeren01

Is there a divisor for ground Loss VP's ?
If you lower the negative effects of Allied ground losses on VP's later in the war the allied player should be more inclined to go on attacking.
Something like the strategic bombing divisor, that reduces the negtaive victory points for ground losses as the game progresses.

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 186
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/21/2016 12:29:50 PM   
LiquidSky

Nah...if they had a divisor, they would need to increase the vps gained (loss) by casualty points as the war goes on. It is a two player game. The Axis also need an ability to gain vps or there is no game.

If the Germans can gain more and more vps attacking as the war goes on, then the allies will not want to turtle since they will be getting less and less for bombing while the germans gain more and more for attacking.

Look at the extreme case. If the allies lose nothing for casualty points late game and they gain points for bombing....the axis cant stop the bombing, and even though they can influence the ground war, they gain nothing for doing so. Vps go up and up until the allies win.

Remember...it is a two sided game. Both sides need to gain/lose vps.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 187
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/22/2016 12:32:39 AM   
Harrybanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Nah...if they had a divisor, they would need to increase the vps gained (loss) by casualty points as the war goes on. It is a two player game. The Axis also need an ability to gain vps or there is no game.

If the Germans can gain more and more vps attacking as the war goes on, then the allies will not want to turtle since they will be getting less and less for bombing while the germans gain more and more for attacking.

I disagree with your logic LS. If they increase the VPs the Germans gain (or Allies lose) for casualties as the game goes on I can see why the Germans would want to attack the Allies. But I don't see how that would lead to the Allies not wanting to turtle. If I am going to lose VPs every time I attack the Germans and lose VPs every time they attack me, it seems to me that I can at least reduce the bleeding by digging in. I certainly don't see how I am going to take less casualties by attacking and then allowing the German to counterattack me in un-entrenched hexes. Since I am not gaining any VPs by attacking as the WA why would I do so?

quote:

Look at the extreme case. If the allies lose nothing for casualty points late game and they gain points for bombing....the axis cant stop the bombing, and even though they can influence the ground war, they gain nothing for doing so. Vps go up and up until the allies win.

Remember...it is a two sided game. Both sides need to gain/lose vps.

Well again, my suggestion is that the Germans do gain a significant amount of VPs by stopping the Allies from taking key cities. But apparently this is not an option.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 188
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/22/2016 3:12:23 AM   
LiquidSky

By increasing the ability for the axis to gain VP's the allies can no longer trust in one source of VP's

Turtling only works when you can do accurate math.

The allies need city VP's as well to compensate for casualty points. A fully rested 100 TOE Panzer-Division is between 20 and 30CV...They will inflict a lot of damage. Who knows how much VP's that will equate to?

Increasing the VP's for the Germans means the allies have to compensate somehow.

And will encourage agressive allied play when the city points are worth more and the casualty points are worth less.

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 189
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 1/22/2016 7:37:55 AM   
RedLancer

Some scribbled thoughts....

Attachment (1)

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 190
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 5/3/2016 7:15:25 PM   
Harrybanana

To those following LiquidSky's AAR of our game, I think LiquidSky and I both agree that the way Victory Points are awarded for the 43 Campaign Game need adjustment (at least with an EF Box Off game). But disagree on what these adjustments should be. My understanding is that LiquidSky favours reducing the VPs awarded to the Allies for taking Rome in 43. This would make it less likely that the Allies would have the necessary VPs by the summer of 44 to win a Minor Victory. He believes this would thus force the Allies to continue attacking throughout 44 in an effort to capture enough City VP locations to win the game.

I disagree. Even if I had 300 to 600 fewer VPs in our game I still would have turtled when I did. The reason is that I knew from prior experience (my game with QBall) that the City VPs I would gain from capturing more Cities would be more than offset by the loss of VPs caused by the casualties required to take those Cities. So even if I had significantly fewer VPs I would still be better off turtling and accepting a Draw, rather than attacking and facing the possibility of a German Minor Victory.

For me the solution (as I have stated previously) is to:

1. Give the Allies far less negative VPs for casualties, especially in 44 and 45,
2. Give the Allies more City VPs in 44 and 45, especially 45,
3. Give the Allies fewer Bombing VPs in 43, and
4. Compensate by giving the Allies negative VPs at games end if they don't capture certain key Cities.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 191
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 5/3/2016 8:38:36 PM   
HMSWarspite

I like your analysis. In addition, Rome bugs me. In game, taking Rome in 1943 is such a no brain key element that everything tends to be driven by it. Failing to capture it early is a big hit to WA. A points set up that is not so single track would tend to reopen the WA options some.

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 192
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 5/4/2016 6:56:20 AM   
LiquidSky

Actually....I think I have an elegant and simple solution to the whole thing.

Eliminate Casualty VPs.

Casualty vps are unfun. They stifle play. And there is not a lot of control over them. Although there is some.

The only negative vps in the game should come from penalties. Penalties to invasion...penalties to not bombing certain targets (Uboat/V-Wpn). Maybe even keep the garrison penalties. These are more to reward/punish certain behaviours.

Ideally to encourage aggressive Axis behaviour....I would give only casualty vps to the Germans for casualties they cause on their turn.

Now you need a benchmark...something that says this is a draw. I am 'slowly' mapping out the historical city points taken by the allies by turn. I guess this is as good a place to start as any. As well I am mapping out an expected city point value based on good play. Much more accurate in 1943, but probably becomes just guess work for 1944-5

The bombing is something you just have to be upfront about. Say you need 'x' number of points per turn in 1943. 'y' number of points per turn in 1st half 1944...and so on. The players can decide if they want to bomb harder in earlier turns so they can bomb ground troops later...or whatever. Or if the ground campaign is slowing a bit..they can bomb harder to make up for it..or try and use the bombers to help the ground campaign. You cant really figure out an 'historical' number so bombing points can be used for balance and fun.

Either way...you need to know an expected value per turn of bombing so you can adjust accordingly.

The beachhead penalties can stay...anybody who gets hit by one is probably a newbie and will lose anyways. No average or better player will get hit by them.

All in all the allies will be in the driving seat for victory points. The job of the Germans will be to try and slow down the accumulation of these vps. A minor victory should ideally only be possible in late 1944 or early 1945. And could lead on to better victories if you play on.

There is no need to have different levels of German victories. Any German victory is a win. The allies probably would never play long enough for a Decisive or Major to occur anyways. If the allies suffer a disaster the game would probably end anyways.

So you can have GERMAN WIN | DRAW | ALLIED MINOR | ALLIED MAJOR | ALLIED DECISIVE

The devil is in figuring out the actual numbers.

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 193
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 5/5/2016 8:17:02 AM   
JonS

Sorry, I'm coming into this really late.

This is from LiquidSky, post #77:
quote:

If you balance it for the historical route...then the person who knows how to read a map will win.

Well sure. But that's purely a function of the scoring schema, no? And besides, that almost sounds like you are suggesting that the WAs couldn't "read a map." They could, as no doubt you know, so why didn't they just invade The Netherlands then turtle? Why aren't both those imperatives being adequately addressed natively by the game?

quote:

I don't think it will be work to compare the game to history.

I must say, that seems like a very odd position to assert. If not history, then what are you going to compare it to? If comparing the game to history isn't feasible, then can this be considered a realistic or historical game at all?

< Message edited by JonS -- 5/5/2016 9:55:10 AM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 194
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 5/5/2016 9:35:14 AM   
JonS

quote:

The bombing is something you just have to be upfront about. Say you need 'x' number of points per turn in 1943. 'y' number of points per turn in 1st half 1944...and so on. The players can decide if they want to bomb harder in earlier turns so they can bomb ground troops later...or whatever. Or if the ground campaign is slowing a bit..they can bomb harder to make up for it..or try and use the bombers to help the ground campaign. You cant really figure out an 'historical' number so bombing points can be used for balance and fun.

Either way...you need to know an expected value per turn of bombing so you can adjust accordingly.

But isn’t this begging the question; why is SB worth any VP at all? Or, more to the point, why is SB against only oil/fuel, manpower, and HI a war winner while SB sent against anything else is a criminal misuse of resources.

Strategic bombing in WWII was a just means to an end, rather than an end in itself. And that end was the defeat ... no, the destruction of Germany's means to exert its will on anyone anywhere. Heavy bombers were just a tool, one of many, working towards that end and there're lots of things they could be - and were - used for. But in the game there is only one thing they should do: attack exactly three targets - oil/fuel, manpower, and HI. Anything else is a waste at best, and harmfully counterproductive in VP-terms at worst. The player has no effective choice, since the decision has been made. There is no scope - in the game - for changing priorities, or evolving threats, or cause and effect interplay. The best thing to do, regardless of the date and context, is to just send everything after oil/fuel, manpower, and HI. Turn after turn.^

Leave it up to the player to decide what the SBs should be attacking, according to whatever their rationale is, and make them live with the consequences of that choice. Maybe the player decides that destroying the German's ability to produce armoured vehicles is what they want to do. Maybe that's because a lack of panzers will play directly into the Allied player’s chosen overall approach, or maybe it’s because they just really don’t like Duisberg. Either reason is fine. Or maybe the Allied player decides to go after manpower, and nothing else. Maybe it’ll work - who knows? Or perhaps the Allied player decides to target nothing but German ground forces in contact with the Tommies and GIs with his SBs. The German economy will remain untouched, but the troops at the front will be suffering - maybe it’s a good tradeoff, who knows? Probably no one who plays WitW, since ignoring fuel/oil, HI, and manpower is a fast track to a heavy defeat on points.

Certainly have some incentives/penalties to reward/punish behaviour that can’t be stimulated by other means, but keep it to a minimum. Take the completely arbitrary V-weapon penalty. What justification does that have? There is no point to attacking v-weapons, other than to avoid the penalty. There is no real cause and effect. It is also markedly a-historical. There is no in-game justification for the massive raid on Peenemunde on 23/24 August 1943, nor any of the other 1943 attack on V-weapons. In the game, on 31 December 1943 V-weapons are just a valueless distraction, then suddenly on 1 Jan 1944 they suddenly become the most important thing ever.

Let the Allied player attack - or not - V-weapons at any date. But make those attacks have real consequences. If the Allied player chooses to ignore the V-weapons, no problem. Except that they’ll start raining down in October 1943, and be coming down in great numbers by December. If the Allied player has an allergic reaction and chooses to send 1,000 bombers after them every week for the rest of the war … great! They will probably never appear. But the rest of the German economy will be cranking along at full speed. Either way it’s the player’s choice, and so are the consequences. Maybe any of those choices will accelerate the end of the war, maybe they'll retard it, but ending the war is the goal, not making piles of rubble.

And while we’re at it, make the V-weapons themselves a tool that is directly under the German player’s control. If I choose to follow history and send them all against the citizens of London, let me. But if I delude myself that they can hit industry, let me target specific factory types in specific locations (presumably with a low chance of success, and a high likelihood of spillover, either into manpower attacks, or just missing the entire city … which is always a reasonable prospect). Or maybe I think that targeting British ports is a good plan, or going after the Allied forces in their Normandy beachhead. All of those were valid choices for the German high command in 1944, but none of them are available to the German player.

In short: let the players make choices. Make those choices meaningful. And make the player live with the consequences of that choice, both the good and the bad.

Jon

^ I’m exaggerating a little here, obviously, for effect. I do realise I’m ignoring the absurd penalties related to u-boats and v-weapons.

< Message edited by JonS -- 5/5/2016 9:38:14 AM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 195
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 5/5/2016 3:33:54 PM   
LiquidSky

A rebuttal.

The map the player reads is godly compared to the ones the allies had to read.

For one....the players map is 100% accurate.
...the players map shows all enemy units exactly where they are in hexes with detection. And tells you exactly how well you know a location. (ranging from 0 to 10, with 10 telling you everything).
...the players map will show you all this information...before the enemy can react.

Does any of this sound like something the allies could do with their maps?

Now..on to victory points.

It seems that you have fallen into a familiar trap. Not to worry...many people do. So I will write this in bold because if you or anybody else doesn't believe it..then we will never be able to reach a consensus.

VICTORY IN GAME IS NOT THE SAME AS VICTORY IN THE WAR

I'll give a couple minutes for that to sink in.

Victory points are a metric. Its a measuring tool. Like centimetres in civilized countries. All we are proposing is to change the metric. To have it account for how people play the game. And the best people to compare this metric to is other people playing the same game.

The boys fighting the war way back in '44 are not playing the same game.

The metric needs to change. People play the game using this metric to gauge how well they are doing. In comparison of other people playing the same game. The metric right now penalizes the allies for attacking with ground troops. It rewards them for bombing certain targets. It rewards them for taking cities and ports. It rewards them richly for taking Paris and Rome.

You could eliminate all this...have no metric at all. Let it be a free for all. The allies don't have to invade anywhere.

But that would be silly...you could have a simple metric. Take Berlin. You take it you win....you don't you lose.

Well..they tried that in another game.....War in the East. For some reason the players didn't like it. Sounded too much like history. And it didn't take into account anything inbetween.

So now they use a turn by turn metric. Which is a huge step in the right direction.

As it happens, I think that history can play a role in setting up a metric. It is as simple as pretending that the allies *are* playing the same game. But that can only realistically be applied to the city victory points. Much harder to try and figure out the bombing points. Bombing points are damage times number of industry points. As a percentage.

Good luck figuring that one out week by week for the entire game time period.

But city points you can...and the history roleplayers can have something they can compare themselves to. And it can be the benchmark that the other metrics can be applied to.

And we have to start somewhere. Because the current metric has some flaws. Less flaws then the *take Berlin or Lose* victory system of WitE.

(in reply to JonS)
Post #: 196
RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision - 5/5/2016 7:48:36 PM   
JonS

"use a turn by turn metric. Which is a huge step in the right direction."

No dispute there. In a game like this turn-by-turn is much superior to hope-you're-doing-the-right-thing-then-wait-a-really-long-time-until-the-end-to-find-out. But you've already acknowledged that scoring strat bombing is a fools errand, and that privileging certain types of strat bombing over all others also leads to perverse outcomes. The obvious solution is to get rid of it as a scoring mechanism. Ground combat, naval patrols, and most air combat aren't 'scored', so why is strat bombing? They were all just tools and means to the end. Define the end, figure out what the appropriate and coherent incremental metrics are that work towards that end (non-linear scoring of the liberation of towns and cities is definitely on the right track, along with cas inflicted*), and apply them. Job done.

* either a simplistic 'you inflicted 6,283 cas, so here's 6,283 points', or preferably something a little more sophisticated like 'you inflicted 10,000 cas and suffered 2,000 cas doing it; here's 5 (five) points. Oh, in this attack you inflicted 800 cas, but suffered 1,600 doing it; here's -2 (negative two) points.' I.e., If you mount successful attacks you score points, but if you pointlessly flail away you'll lose points. Then perhaps refine that further by multiplying the ratio by the number of en cas in thousands so that little attacks score few points and big attacks score lots (so the above examples would be worth 5x10=20 and -2x0.8=-1.6 respectively, for a net of +18.4)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 197
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> RE: Campaign Game VP System needs revision Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI