Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need advice for playing as the Russians

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Need advice for playing as the Russians Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/5/2016 8:44:38 PM   
Stryder

I have done quite well as the Germans, but I am a little lost as to the proper things to do when playing as the Russians. I haven't played too far into the game as the Russians yet, but it feels like I am not doing too well.

I have used Zhukov to blow bridges, first in the north and then moving to the south. I haven't used Khrushchev, he uses a lot of AP. Any advice on the best use of the troubleshooters?

I'd like to hear how others handle the first two months of the scenario, if some of you don't mind sharing.

(hopefully this post generates something (and not any negative posts))

Post #: 1
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/6/2016 9:53:07 PM   
fvianello

I am now playing with Russian too. The big error I made in the first attempts was thinking that losses were not a problem as they would have been replaced by reinforcements.

Actually, losses ARE a problem.

In order to survive, Russia must save as much troops as possible, put armies in defense posture and scrupulously apply the "space for time" strategy. Retreat, don't try to defend what you cannot defend.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to Stryder)
Post #: 2
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/7/2016 8:02:20 PM   
Romainpek

I'm doing my second attempt. Lots or reinforcement arrive at the beginning but then there is a big part of September - October with almost no reinforcement at all.

I still like to counterattack because doing it, the loss ratio is better for the Russian than when they are attacked. But then troops melt even faster...

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 3
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/8/2016 9:34:33 PM   
Romainpek

It's now October 24th, I'm still holding, the North Front is safe (big forest there), the Center is more or less OK (I'm still holding the blown bridge between Smolensk and Vyazma, and the forest in front of Bryansk), the South is in disarray (I held Odessa till mid October but then the German jumped quickly to Kharkov and beyond, and are closing towards Rostov, they just seized Stalino...).

I'm desperate for rain, still NO RASPUTITSA at the end of October!! The weather forecast always tell me it will be there next turn but still the weather is fine so far... It is announced with 99% chance for the 28th...

The only good surprise is that I learnt the German victory conditions (by luck) but as it is "military independance" they can strike anywhere.

p.s.: I killed 24 German divisions so far, 20 in the Center and 4 in the south

< Message edited by Romainpek -- 5/8/2016 9:51:47 PM >

(in reply to Romainpek)
Post #: 4
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/8/2016 10:16:10 PM   
Romainpek

Flash update, today October 28th, still no mud!!! the forecast for next turn "rain affecting mobile operations" is 101% !!
Am I the unluckiest Russian player of all ? Did I really throw a die at 99% chance to win and failed ???

< Message edited by Romainpek -- 5/8/2016 10:17:53 PM >

(in reply to Romainpek)
Post #: 5
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/9/2016 1:12:43 AM   
lancer

Hi Romainpek,

The weather is different each play through. It's randomised within actual climatic data for the region so you can get a range of possible weather conditions.

The forecast for next turn reflects the poor efforts of the Wehrmacht meteorological services in '41 and not actual dice rolls.

Rasputitsa starts, regardless, from late October onwards. It sounds like something is funny is happening here.

Are you playing an older saved game with an updated game version?

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to Romainpek)
Post #: 6
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/9/2016 6:48:14 PM   
Romainpek

I'm playing with version 1.03p, I updated before launching the game.

I'm playing Russian, so maybe our communist forecast is more precise ? As was announced (with 101% certainty!), mud came on November 1st.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 7
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/9/2016 11:35:01 PM   
lancer

Hi Romainpek,

Late but not forgotten.

I'll take a look at this anyway. Could you let me know what the game date is (any turn, doesn't matter), eg. 1st Nov '41, as well as what the round number is (mouse over the date to get this)?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to Romainpek)
Post #: 8
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/10/2016 6:25:34 PM   
Romainpek

I just checked: November 9th, 1941 and round 37.

It's still very muddy

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 9
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/10/2016 11:29:21 PM   
lancer

Hi Romainpek,

Seems O.K.

Good luck with your defence of Russia.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to Romainpek)
Post #: 10
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/17/2016 10:28:47 PM   
Romainpek

I'm glad to say that despite horrible losses and the great weather that the Germans enjoyed till early November 41, I won a decisive victory on February 1st, 1942.

Mud was a respite, then the cold started to produce malus (-20%, then -30%) on the German fighting ability. Strange, when very cold, my troops could move less than the Germans, but I had no fighting malus.

The nazis were far from Leningrad, did not advance further on Moscow and then could not reach Rostov, as Voroshilovgrad held and never fell (Jukov helped the defence).

So the German AI did something weird, they rushed west, in the glacy void of the steppes, towards Stalingrad, Saratov, Tambov and even tried to go North from there.

There was no significant objective there, so I let them go. I launched a counter-attack North (I liberated Tallin) and Center (freeing Smolensk and Orsha).

I finished the game with a score of 72 to 32. I never saw the famous 3 soviet cards Massed Artillery, Massed Armour and Air Defence. I destroyed 57 Axis divisions (more were cut-off but the game ended before I could finish them). I suffered 6 paranoid episodes, which I soothed by having 18 generals shot.

I'm a hero

< Message edited by Romainpek -- 5/17/2016 10:31:58 PM >

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 11
RE: Need advice for playing as the Russians - 5/18/2016 1:09:07 AM   
lancer

Hi Romainpek,

Well done.

The 3 soviet cards are currently out of action but will be fixed in the coming update.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to Romainpek)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Need advice for playing as the Russians Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI