Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I give up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I give up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I give up - 5/5/2001 12:45:00 AM   
nimu

I've been trying for several days(i'd say 45 days)to create my first personal campaign taking place in Arnhem(sept 17-24th).I've done my best but i arrived nowhere.I feel depressed and frustrated.I've designed what i do think is a good realistic map but my knowledge of the editors is too bad.i lost myself with all those german renforcements that every day arrived in the market-garden corridor and i wasn't able to simulate the casualities suffered day by day by the British 1st airb div.So i give up.I thank all the people that gave me important suggestions here in this forum.Hope that someone with a larger and deeper ability with the editor could do this,cause i think it should be a grat campaign if done in a proper way. Ciao everybody :( :p :p :)

"out of ammo........God save the King"
Post #: 1
- 5/5/2001 12:56:00 AM   
ruxius

Hey Urqu ! Che fai t'arendi ? Remember it's a question of passion and time..maybe you will never have that campaign the same way you dreamed it..but you have all the time you need to learn everything about the editor the manual and everything else you need..I too have a great project ..I would have surrendered many many times till now BUT ONLY IF I SAID about a release date..Do you understand ? DO not put yourself in time constraints..without any date you will never have to give up when that date arrives...! Many things may not be done with this editor BUT you have to know that actually this editor has grown enormously compared to what I had with the old SP1..and they also promised that it will improved again in ver 5.0...I trust in them ! Relax your efforts in a larger amount of time..where you cannot do it change it ..adaption is our best resource here... BYE !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 2
- 5/5/2001 4:14:00 AM   
Banjo

Don't give up the ship compleatly. Maybe just put it on the back burner for a while, untill you can figure out what you need to do. I have some pretty grand ideas for scenarios and campaigns, but I have to start off much smaller than what I would like to. The scale I am looking at is just too large. Hey Ruxious, did you get a chance to play with the Hexgrid program yet? I am just now getting my yards to meter and miles to kilometers conversion formulas, so I can get the hex sizes right. I found that my guesses were a bit off. The difference will only make the maps more accurate.

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 3
- 5/5/2001 4:23:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Hello Urquhart. Don't surrender. When the war goes to end, you will be alliberated from that prisoners camp. Perhaps version 5.0 puts new stuff for you campaign design. Be patient and enjoy. Saludos and ciao.

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 4
- 5/5/2001 6:58:00 AM   
nimu

Well guys.....what do i have to say??I'll keep going on.Maybe i'll stay for a while.Untill ver 5 will be released.The map is still good and the will....well after your letters .....is stronger than before.Thanks,i'll make u know

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 5
- 5/5/2001 1:24:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I've said this about 1,000 times give or take a few :D. Let me make a suggestion, Urquhart. I'm not sure how much designing you have done but try a few small scenarios first. That helps you get the feel of the game and the editor. Once you have done that, go back and try again. British casualties will be reflected as long as you do not include any building points, or a minimum. This could indeed be a great campaign. I strongly encourage you to do as I have suggested. I think this will help you a lot. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 6
- 5/5/2001 3:21:00 PM   
nimu

Wild Bill,in that "virtual" campaign i designed a very very large map(the largest i could!),in order to put togheder Arnhem,Oosterbeck,Driel and Elden and for sure the 3 bridges.My aim was to have the same map trough 4 or 5 scenarios.I found problems with the distances(is there any waY to convert hexes in miles or km?),i had problems with the german reinforces...etc.... But above all i was not able to make a sense of all the project!!!How those victory points(M.victory,D.victory,Draw.....)do work in the campaign editor mode? Anyway,thanks for your support:now i feel i have to show some gratitude and keep on working on it!!!!!YES

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 7
- 5/5/2001 3:36:00 PM   
skukko

go on ! man..retreating is not an option :D I can enlighten you on some problems, Mail me what you got so far. I've done some camp'thing myself, but not very much... :D :eek: I can take a look at it. mosh in case you want ?

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 8
- 5/5/2001 7:25:00 PM   
ruxius

Excuse me mate..but why didn't you organize a little campaign instead of a single big scenario ? there are some feature in the editor for Auxiliary units and so on... but take a while now..WE HAVE THE NEW 5.0 EDITOR TO BE EXPLORED !!!!! Bye

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 9
- 5/5/2001 9:06:00 PM   
kutalik

Mosh is right Urquart you have your orders. No seriously, I would urge you not to give up also. I've been at work on this Spanish Civil War campaign for about two months now and had some low frustrating moments too. So what do you say a "suicide pact" -- I'l finish and you'll finish. :D

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 10
- 5/5/2001 9:11:00 PM   
Mikimoto

quote:

Originally posted by kutalik: So what do you say a "suicide pact" -- I'l finish and you'll finish. :D
Hi, guys, it seems the "bushido" way. I hope you don`t perform "sepukku" if you don't finnish the spanish civil war and Market-Garden campaigns. :D P.S. I'm spanish, and if you want, you can mail me and I will search information for you. :D :D

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 11
- 5/5/2001 11:13:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Good responses, guys. What a great group of helpful concerned gamers we have here. I too offer my services. My time as you know is somewhat occupied :D, but any particular question, post it here. Make it clear what your dilemma is and we'll help talk you through it. Sounds like a great map. What you want to do can easily be done, one map, 4 or 5 battles, using the same battalion all the way through. Send me the map and let me take a look. I'm sure you'll want to put in some of the new rowhouses for Arnhem. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 12
- 5/6/2001 12:51:00 AM   
skukko

Thanx WB to step in :D I have enough to do right now... But anytime if help is needed, I'll try to help. I live like it. but now when they have new editor they don't have time to ask these question..or..? mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 13
- 5/6/2001 1:12:00 AM   
kutalik

No not a literal "suicide pact" -- don't think my wife would quite go for it. Plus think of all that time in which I could be ruining my wrists and eyes playing version 5.0 until 3:00 AM. Wild Bill is quite right about not over extending yourself. I spent about a month obsessing about my Madrid map, until I had the sudden realization... who really cares if all the streets are layed out 100% correct, just make the game play fun and "reasonably" accurate.

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 14
- 5/6/2001 6:03:00 AM   
nimu

Hi guys,mow i'll wait as WB said far the ver.5.0 new buildings and see how they'll work(S.Elizabet hospital for example!).Be sure I will ask many things about how to make the scen tied together and i'll send to u WB also the map,as u said before.The point in fact is that the biggest maps can be set only in a vertical way which makes difficult to give a kind of depth to the city.Then there's the Rhine,the bridges,and above all the distances between the landing fields the city and the villages....UFFFHHHH!!!!Do u know where can i find orignal maps of the site?,'cause i have only some abstract maps in some books but they're not so precise as i'd like them to be.Anyway,i thank u all another time and i'll keep in mind all your suggestion.Waiting for ver 5,i'll make u know how the developement goes on. Bye guys

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 15
- 5/6/2001 9:24:00 PM   
Figmo

These guys are correct - Don't give up!! Also, when you have a question - like Wild Bill said - post it to the forum and I'm sure you'll hear more about it than you want to. :eek: For example, you mentioned "Victory Point" - start a post on that subject and point out what is confusing you. Another thing that is very important in all scenarios is "Experience and Morale" - that will determine how well a unit stays in the battle and other stuff. I don't know what you know already that's why I mentioned these - if you already know about this stuff cool!! Also, keep in mind many scenario designers have scenarios on the shelf just waiting for that final insperation to finish it. Heck, the Wild Man keeps two or three finished ones handy for emergencies!! :D Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to nimu)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> I give up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI