Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 1:10:51 PM   
Trugrit

Article:

“But while players were stoked for a game set in World War 1, a setting rarely touched by the genre, culture critics in the media and on Twitter found it in poor taste. After decades of ultra-violent video games depicting all sorts of travesties, apparently WW1 is the line in the sand for some critics.”

http://heatst.com/tech/is-world-war-1-too-hot-to-touch-for-gaming/

Post #: 1
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 1:51:12 PM   
wings7

For me there is main stream gaming and the all important indie developer gaming...

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 2
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 2:47:22 PM   
Gilmer

Damn, that is pretty dumb.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 3
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 2:49:02 PM   
Jagdtiger14

"...culture critics in the media and on twitter..." 'nuff said.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 4
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 8:14:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Article:

“But while players were stoked for a game set in World War 1, a setting rarely touched by the genre, culture critics in the media and on Twitter found it in poor taste. After decades of ultra-violent video games depicting all sorts of travesties, apparently WW1 is the line in the sand for some critics.”

warspite1

Never mind. Rubbish like that written by idiots like that isn't worth getting worked up about.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/15/2016 8:34:59 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 5
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 8:28:09 PM   
Orm

quote:

Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming?

No.

But it might very well be to cold.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 8:29:06 PM   
Aurelian

Funny, I've always heard it isn't a popular genre because it's seen as boring

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/15/2016 8:57:51 PM   
Twotribes

Well ya if it is at all historical you are looking at 4 years of trench warfare, can we say boring? Otherwise it is not worth playing if fantasy.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 8
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 3:31:47 AM   
gradenko2k

You could make a pretty good argument that the impact and contribution (and life-expectancy) of any single soldier on a WW1 battlefield would be so minor (and short and brutal) that you couldn't represent any sort of compelling gameplay with it.

You'd either have to turn it into a game of constant Roguelike respawns of the player-soldier throwing themselves into the trenches forever and ever, which falls somewhere between a disservice to the history that you're attempting to depict and a sop to realism that produces no interesting avenue of play

Or you could turn the player into the Western Front equivalent of Rambo, throwing out realism in exchange for playability, but at that point one wonders why you'd choose to set the game in WW1 in the first place if you're going to have to go out of your way to make it feel like something else.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 9
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 3:54:11 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Actually, a board game version of WWI: Fatal Aliances is an incredibly fun game to play. Its WWI WiF. It shouldn't be difficult to code since the vast majority of the code already has been written in MWiF. It has the best diplomatic system I've ever seen.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 10
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 4:46:51 AM   
nicwb

There are now a fair few strategic level WW1 games out there.

The article seems to be addressing the realm of first person shooters. It is specifically addressed to the recently touted Battlefield 1. The thrust seems to the ability of developers to deal with the horrors of the war sensitively.

It's a bit of a silly take given that FPS's have for years dealt with other violent conflicts. Trench warfare was pretty ugly but so was a lot of the WW2 conflicted in the Eastern Front which at times resembled trench warfare.

However at the end the author (sensibly in mho) concludes the criticism only has validity if you regard the Battlefield series as being some sort of definitive source material for what soldiers endured during war. Clearly it is no such thing.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 11
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 4:52:48 AM   
gradenko2k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Actually, a board game version of WWI: Fatal Aliances is an incredibly fun game to play. Its WWI WiF. It shouldn't be difficult to code since the vast majority of the code already has been written in MWiF. It has the best diplomatic system I've ever seen.

That's a strategic-level board-wargame though. The article (and my post) was about the usefulness and tastefulness of trying to simulate WW1 from a first-person shooter perspective.

It's no surprise that a World in Flames-esque game about WW1 would work, because that's the level where a player's choices can actually matter.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 12
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 8:54:09 AM   
Recognition

This is my Twitter "WW1 On This Day" site for those interested.

< Message edited by Rush -- 5/16/2016 8:57:05 AM >

https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 13
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 9:01:22 AM   
Orm

I found it interesting that The Great War channel analysed the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzEZ1Sq4tI

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Recognition)
Post #: 14
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 9:46:15 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Well ya if it is at all historical you are looking at 4 years of trench warfare, can we say boring? Otherwise it is not worth playing if fantasy.

Much like letting OKH build units in WiTE. A fantasy.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 15
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 12:55:27 PM   
Cello700

And a game that allows you play as a member of Hitlers armed forces is seen as acceptable taste?

I always thought that there were so few games about WW1 (except air combat of course) was that there was very little strategy or tactics involved in comparison to other wars. Dig a trench, wait for artillery bombardment, charge enemy, gain or lose a few hundred yards. Repeat.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 16
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 5:00:55 PM   
Qwixt

Looks to me more like a writer that needed to publish something and he found an idiot with a twitter account for his subject matter.

(in reply to Cello700)
Post #: 17
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 5:03:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

There are lots of good WWI games and I think the idea that it's all trench warfare is a common misconception, though IMHO a lot of WWI works best wargame-wise at an operational or grand strategy scale.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 18
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 5:15:10 PM   
radic202

I had a friend who loved WW2 games but could not stand WW1 games because he said that "there are no real and large tank battles, no fighter planes per se attacking each other, no house to house infantry fighting, no large scale city attacks etc..." so he found them "boring" to say the least. But on the other hand he loved Napoleonic and US Civil War Games! His argument held no foundation to me if he said that about WW1 but played the other military era war games. Go Figure???

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 5:40:10 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Article:

Critics have also made claim that Starship Troopers movie is praise of fascism.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 20
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 7:54:07 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202
I had a friend who loved WW2 games but could not stand WW1 games because he said that ... "no fighter planes per se attacking each other" ...

Your friend could not be any more wrong on this particular subject.

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 21
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 8:23:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202
I had a friend who loved WW2 games but could not stand WW1 games because he said that ... "no fighter planes per se attacking each other" ...

Your friend could not be any more wrong on this particular subject.
warspite1

Well quite, how was the Red Baron killed - for one - if it was not against an RAF Sopwith Camel (piloted by a Canadian by the way)?

(in reply to E)
Post #: 22
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 8:45:43 PM   
RedLancer

There is good reason that WW1 games are few and far between - trying to code the huge changes in land warfare tactics between 1914 and 1918 is very complex. 1914 had lots in common with 1815 and 1918 with 1945. 1914 had little in common with 1918.

Having read Mark Adkin's Western Front Companion I've often thought how would you turn WW1 into a game.

My initial thoughts are to accurately depict the Western Front tactically you probably need to be at no more than Brigade level with no more than a mile wide hex. I'd look at a WEGO system which would better simulate the problems of outrunning communications and artillery co-ordination. However even at that scale with say, day long turns, an operational or strategic game becomes almost impossible.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 8:59:56 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Well quite, how was the Red Baron killed - for one - if it was not against an RAF Sopwith Camel (piloted by a Canadian by the way)?

Without disparaging Capt. Arthur "Roy" Brown's contribution (which probably saved his friend), the weight of the evidence seems to be that the fatal shot was fired from the ground, likely by an Australian machine gunner.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 24
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 9:08:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Without disparaging Capt. Arthur "Roy" Brown's contribution (which probably saved his friend), the weight of the evidence seems to be that the fatal shot was fired from the ground, likely by an Australian machine gunner.
warspite1

Maybe - but regardless of who fired the shot - the point is that, unlike the poster's friend's assertion, aerial duals were fought in WWI.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 25
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 9:34:27 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Agreed...the only question is who on the ground fired the fatal shot.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 26
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 9:46:38 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Maybe - but regardless of who fired the shot - the point is that, unlike the poster's friend's assertion, aerial duals were fought in WWI.

Fighter plane vs fighter plane was invented and honed in WWI. Most all fighter maneuvers still in use today, were invented and honed in WWI. Popularizing the term "dogfight" for aerial combat was done in WWI.

(and regarding the aside, it was an Australian ground gunner who got Snoopy's nemesis. As the autopsy showed the fatal wounds entered low on his back and exited high... an angle Brown never had on him, but consistent with the angle of the Aussie gunners on the ground at the right time and place.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by E -- 5/16/2016 9:50:40 PM >

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/16/2016 11:00:28 PM   
altipueri

Wasn't Sopwith a great little WW1 PC game about 1984?

(in reply to E)
Post #: 28
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/17/2016 1:32:50 AM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I found it interesting that The Great War channel analysed the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzEZ1Sq4tI

Very thorough observations!!!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 29
RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? - 5/24/2016 6:27:56 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Wasn't Sopwith a great little WW1 PC game about 1984?

I don't know how great it was (meaning I never played it myself) but there was a PC game by the name of Sopwith that was released in 1984.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI