Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci fi games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci fi games? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci fi ... - 5/16/2016 12:13:28 PM   
Cello700

Is it a case of "Noooooo, I can't stand elves, goblins and starships!" or do you think a good game is a good game no matter what the subject matter?
Post #: 1
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 2:02:40 PM   
wings7

I can play any good game no matter what the subject matter!

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Cello700)
Post #: 2
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 2:04:43 PM   
Speedysteve

Really like the genre tbh

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 3
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 4:08:50 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

Patrick

me too, I am currently having a blast playing Endless Legends as a break from more historical based games. The good thing about well done fantasy/SF games is they can concentrate on game balance and internal (to the game) logic.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 4
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 4:15:50 PM   
radic202

I prefer a Fantasy based War Game as it gives me a chance to escape from "real historical war" games. The same with my choice of reading materials. I am sure with the upcoming "Total War: Warhammer" that comes out next week, you will find both types of players playing that game including myself.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 4:45:59 PM   
Moltke71

As with the previous posters, a good game is a good game regardless of genre.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 6
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 4:51:12 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cello700

Is it a case of "Noooooo, I can't stand elves, goblins and starships!" or do you think a good game is a good game no matter what the subject matter?

Good question.

I like games that feel plausible. Can be Fantasy/Sci-fi, as long as what happens in the game is commonsensical. Can´t relate to anything that´s too weird or patently absurd.

On the other hand, events that are illogical or simply feel wrong kill a historical game as well for me.

Any theme will do, but I simply can´t stand nonsense.

(in reply to Cello700)
Post #: 7
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 4:52:43 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cello700

warspite1

Yes - the former. Each of course to their own, but I have no interest in space games or make-believe worlds. My interest lies in history [and playing games with an historical flavour].

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Cello700)
Post #: 8
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 5:34:25 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tesuji

On the other hand, events that are illogical or simply feel wrong kill a historical game as well for me.

History has much of that. This is my favourite part (about Germany):
quote:

And that's not even counting the part where as soon as the plot requires it, they instantly forget about all the racism nonsense and become best buddies with the definitely non-Aryan Japanese.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 5/16/2016 5:36:44 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 9
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 5:43:58 PM   
Alan Sharif

It is historical games only for me, but good luck to those who like other types of game.

A Sharif

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 10
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 6:04:56 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tesuji

History has much of that.

So much the worse for history.

< Message edited by Tesuji -- 5/16/2016 6:07:51 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 6:05:29 PM   
Capitaine

I am and have been very interested in fantasy games (strategy and rpg) and somewhat less in sci-fi. As others, I enjoy good games. I go in cycles of fantasy - historical depending on what I'm in the mood for in any given period. I have in the last 5-10 years been less interested in FPS or action games of any type, as the frantic pacing just gets tedious after a while. I'm older, but it's not manual dexterity that's a problem, I just prefer a more leisurely pace that doesn't require my attention to be glued to the screen/action constantly.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 12
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 6:54:00 PM   
TheGreatRadish

Cannot stand them, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 13
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 6:58:06 PM   
RodyMetal

I just play historic games, I used to like lord of the rings stuff like when I was in school. The problem with fantasy/ sci-fi games for me that I have to learn to get myself into this unknown created world and sometimes got me confused with other fantasy world. Historic based games are easier for me to grasp and got unto, plus it adds to my knowledge if I don't know well about this period/ location.
I could like futuristic space sci-fi games however, if it feels plausible.
I am sure you guys are enjoying great fantasy/ sci-fi games, and I am sure some are more well designed than a lot of historic based games.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 14
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 6:58:37 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

Patrick

me too, I am currently having a blast playing Endless Legends as a break from more historical based games. The good thing about well done fantasy/SF games is they can concentrate on game balance and internal (to the game) logic.

Yes, "Endless Legend" looks great (it's on my wishlist)...it looks like it a war/strategy/civ/space game with fantasy trappings, with tons of game play! For those unfamiliar, here it is...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289130/

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 15
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 7:25:24 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Yes, "Endless Legend" looks great (it's on my wishlist)...it looks like it a war/strategy/civ/space game with fantasy trappings, with tons of game play! For those unfamiliar, here it is...

So much praise for that game... Is it significantly better than Age of Wonders 3?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 16
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 7:42:02 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

So much praise for that game... Is it significantly better than Age of Wonders 3?

not tried the other but I really think Endless Legend is the most innovative 4x/Civ style game of the last few years. Some of it is standard but they really have made the factions different, some really interesting gameplay mechanics. So you have a province, can only build one city in that province - really slows spread and eases micro-management.

the fantasy element is carried lightly, some magic - one faction has S&M tendencies that you can use to generate positive events (at a cost to yourself) - but its not really dominant. Being from the UK I find it disturbing that one of the more powerful units looks like Boris Johnson -- this does break the immersion but I can't really blame the (French) designers.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 17
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 11:14:59 PM   
altipueri

Historical only for me.

I've tried many times to like Alpha Centauri more than Civilization 2 but I can't.

I've got Galactic Civilizations 2 but only played about 5 minutes of it.

I tried Elite on the BBC2 micro, but preferred the flight game where you could go under the bridge. And Bomb Alley about the Falklands. Did they do all that in 32K - you can't get a picture for that these days.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 18
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 11:54:24 PM   
Gilmer

I like all good games. I like Distant Worlds Universe, but don't get to play it as much as I'd like to.

I liked FPS type scifi games like Privateer. It's one of my all time favorites.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 19
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/16/2016 11:56:25 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: altipueri

Historical only for me.

I've tried many times to like Alpha Centauri more than Civilization 2 but I can't.

I've got Galactic Civilizations 2 but only played about 5 minutes of it.

I tried Elite on the BBC2 micro, but preferred the flight game where you could go under the bridge. And Bomb Alley about the Falklands. Did they do all that in 32K - you can't get a picture for that these days.

I prefer Alpha C to Civ 2; I wish that Civ: Beyond Earth had lived up to Alpha C!

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 20
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 1:42:35 AM   
budd

I'll play anything thats fun, if i had to choose just one it would be historical wargames, WW2. There's a lot of good strategy games that aren't historical. Speaking of Endless Legend i just started playing it and so far its great. I like to play 4X games from time to time and just couldnt get into Civ5 or 4 or 3, last one i really got into was 2 in the civ series. Endless legend so far seems like a very well put together game and fun. The different factions from what i've read play very differently, tac battles are similar to AOW3 but height matters so choosing your battle terrain is important,you can have reinforcements show up and set your units posture for battle, you can customized all your unit builds with equipment and armor if you can afford it. The UI is pretty well layed out and its easy to get up and running, of course learning how everything ties together takes a bit. I'm on my first game after restarting twice and an enjoying it a lot.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 21
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 2:56:20 AM   
jwarrenw13

I enjoy both. I tend to switch back and forth between fantasy/sci fi and hard core wargames.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 22
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 2:56:35 AM   
Rosseau

Sometimes leaving the shackles of history opens a game up to some interesting possibilities. I think many wargamers found the original SSG Warlords titles acceptable to them.

I would also recommend Endless Legends, even to harder core wargamers. Darkest Dungeons is another surprise with 14,000 likes on Steam.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 23
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 2:59:50 AM   
Jagdtiger14

I could play Sci-fi so long as its not too weird (weird like Pandora). Star Fleet Command was an awesome multi-player game. Loved Tie-fighter from the 90's.

I could play fantasy if its something from books I like, such as Lord of the Rings, or the official AD&D.

Never got into the Warhammer stuff and not sure why people like that.

I could get into a Star Wars or Star Trek world version of Armada 2526 (Supernova)...or even just an improved Armada 2526 (Supernova).

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 24
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 4:34:06 AM   
nicwb

I'm not too big on Fantasy strategy games although Fantasy RPG's are fine ( still working my way through and enjoying The witcher 3: the wild hunt.)

Far more willing to play Sci -Fi strategy.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 25
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 5:33:03 AM   
wworld7

any good game works

Flipper

(in reply to Cello700)
Post #: 26
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 6:03:57 AM   
76mm

Generally won't play games with magic or dragons; am not against space games but am super-selective (as in I have not bought one in at least ten years...) because I don't even have enough time to play the historical games that I prefer, much less middling space games. For whatever reason, the Warhammer universe holds zero interest for me.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 5/17/2016 6:07:23 AM >

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 27
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 7:03:10 AM   
gradenko2k

Until the advent of Rule the Waves, one might make the argument that Space 4x games in the vein of Master of Orion was really just a way for wargamers to sublimate their desire to engage in dreadnought ship design.

You have to pretend that weighing different laser cannons is actually gun calibers, and that moving to ion warp drives from fusion engines is really just like the coal-to-oil transition of the Royal Navy, but the upshot is that you're not limited by the political and industrial realities of the The World As It Was in 1900.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 28
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 4:07:34 PM   
vonRocko

I will play fantasy games, but I prefer historical games based on reality. One thing I won't play is zombie games. I can't stand the "Zombie Craze" that is in much of the games lately.

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 29
RE: How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci... - 5/17/2016 4:26:07 PM   
Orm

Any good game works for me. Although I tend to avoid RTS.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do historical wargamers feel about fantasy/ sci fi games? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI