Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  211 212 [213] 214 215   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 12:25:22 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

What are you going to do with yourself once the turns start trickling in at 1 a day or two? :P

That's always a behind-the-scenes factor isn't it? Sudden success on one side leading to sudden "real life issues" on the other?

In this case, though, it would actually be a pretty sweet accomplishment. I could catch up on my sleep.

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 6361
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 12:29:13 AM   
DW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

There you go, CAP.

But I seem to remember that at Missionary Ridge, the victorious Yankees got their revenge by yelling, "Fredricksburg! Fredricksburg!"

That reminds me of a story I once read about a World Cup Soccer match between England and Germany during the late '60's.

The English won, and after the match the English fans were chanting at the Germans...

"Two world wars and one world cup!"

< Message edited by DW -- 5/18/2016 12:37:14 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6362
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 12:39:57 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

4. To some extent he might have been lucky too. Like the AOs eluding a good Fletcher TF. That could have been cacaclysmic for him.

+1

He could indeed have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle. How does a force with AO's evade an all-Fletcher force?!

Well, the visibility was 11,000 yards in 64% moonlight, so either he had a great smokescreen or the KB TF barged its way in between!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 6363
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 1:27:26 AM   
paullus99

Now is definitely the time to go in for the kill - there are always more Allied carriers, but if John loses more here, the KB is finished as a true deterrent.

Given your relative positions, that you are closer to available shipyards (Pearl) than John is to his, you can afford to take damage if it means putting more flat-tops out of the war or at the bottom.

If John was in the same position, he'd do exactly the same.

< Message edited by paullus99 -- 5/18/2016 1:35:45 AM >

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6364
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 1:29:00 AM   
catwhoorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

quote:

There you go, CAP.

But I seem to remember that at Missionary Ridge, the victorious Yankees got their revenge by yelling, "Fredricksburg! Fredricksburg!"

That reminds me of a story I once read about a World Cup Soccer match between England and Germany during the late '60's.

The English won, and after the match the English fans were chanting at the Germans...

To be fair it still a chant at football matches.
Especially the 5-1 drubbing we gave them in Munich a few years back.

(though they have by far exceeded us in World Cups now).

Just got caught up on the last few pages.

When done on the very fine victory.
Pursue sensibly, do not get greedy though.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 6365
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 1:31:44 AM   
njp72

The ultimate worst nightmare for an Empire player.

Deep in Indian territory with burning carriers, no friendly LBA air cover/ limited search capability and no doubt logistic issues to boot.

I think we have all been there and that is why I refuse to go deep outside the umbrella of LBA once you are deep into 42. The introduction of the Hellcat ensures strike packages will get through (no matter how much CAP is deployed) and Japanese carriers will burn.

Having trapped aircraft on burning carriers also makes a difference??? Not too many options left here for your opponent except to suck it up and perhaps send surface taskforces at your CVs to try and buy space and time.

Regardless well played and very enjoyable viewing.

quote:

The new turn is off to John. The map shows where the TFs are and where they are going.

Tomorrow is key.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6366
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 1:35:29 AM   
paullus99

Oh, and there is no way that he's going to keep Wake from falling now....and your other Marshall operations are definitely secure.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 6367
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 1:53:25 AM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
This is just how I saw it all in my dreams last night. Except, I was not wearing any pants.... Nice victory. The luck was all pretty much on your side. But nothing wrong with that....

Oh, my! Well, I didn't sleep well last night. I tossed and turned. But since I am uncommonly supple at my age, tossing and turning is not an issue.

I know what you mean about luck. I assume I got some decent rolls of the dice. But there are so many factors that enter into it:
1. John's utter lack of detection. How in the world did that happen and how does he linger while it's ongoing?
2. It looks like he had some really strange TF compositions. I know (or I've been contending) that he may be short on combat ships, but it seems like he's cramming huge TFs with everything.
3. He probably was lulled into a sense of security since I hadn't responded to any of his raids or JEB Stuart rides to this point. But while he was raiding and using fuel and expending sorties and fatigue, my ships were stationary, replenishing, and replacing lost aircraft. There wasn't luck there.
4. To some extent he might have been lucky too. Like the AOs eluding a good Fletcher TF. That could have been cacaclysmic for him.

There's luck in the rolls, but mainly this was a function of alot of decisions made by both sides.

I think the biggest luck factor was his big carriers being eight hexes away. This range can be a two headed sword and does not always work for the Japanese. As a result, having only one possible target, you delivered a full strike package on his mini KB and destroyed it outright rather than having dispersed strikes hitting more than one TF. In return, he sent in uncoordinated strikes (Lack of DL probably) at max range (more cripples lost to OP) which you chewed to bits. That was a win-win for you. However, he made enough mistakes to compound your luck. That is all on him.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6368
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 2:00:29 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

quote:

There you go, CAP.

My dad took me to see this documentary when it was in the theaters. At the time, I doubt I even knew how soccer was played. It has been called one of the best sports documentaries ever made. I never forgot the movie. Mesmerizing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goal-Official-Fifa-Film-World/dp/B00004CJ4V

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 6369
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 2:10:42 AM   
DW

quote:

My dad took me to see this documentary when it was in the theaters. At the time, I doubt I even knew how soccer was played. It has been called one of the best sports documentaries ever made. I never forgot the movie. Mesmerizing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goal-Official-Fifa-Film-World/dp/B00004CJ4V

Thanks. I'll have a look at that.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6370
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 2:46:58 AM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is just how I saw it all in my dreams last night. Except, I was not wearing any pants.... Nice victory. The luck was all pretty much on your side. But nothing wrong with that....

Oh, my! Well, I didn't sleep well last night. I tossed and turned. But since I am uncommonly supple at my age, tossing and turning is not an issue.

I know what you mean about luck. I assume I got some decent rolls of the dice. But there are so many factors that enter into it:
1. John's utter lack of detection. How in the world did that happen and how does he linger while it's ongoing?
2. It looks like he had some really strange TF compositions. I know (or I've been contending) that he may be short on combat ships, but it seems like he's cramming huge TFs with everything.
3. He probably was lulled into a sense of security since I hadn't responded to any of his raids or JEB Stuart rides to this point. But while he was raiding and using fuel and expending sorties and fatigue, my ships were stationary, replenishing, and replacing lost aircraft. There wasn't luck there.

There's luck in the rolls, but mainly this was a function of alot of decisions made by both sides.

I think the biggest luck factor was his big carriers being eight hexes away. This range can be a two headed sword and does not always work for the Japanese. As a result, having only one possible target, you delivered a full strike package on his mini KB and destroyed it outright rather than having dispersed strikes hitting more than one TF. In return, he sent in uncoordinated strikes (Lack of DL probably) at max range (more cripples lost to OP) which you chewed to bits. That was a win-win for you. However, he made enough mistakes to compound your luck. That is all on him.

That is a fantastic assesment of something I often overlook along with other players, the DL and the extra DL put on the night portion of the air search.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6371
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 2:47:52 AM   
Bif1961

Luck is often made and has to be exploited, when presented. That you did after weighing all the options and agonizing all night. It wasn't easy but you prevailed and now he is on the ropes staggered but not without options, though they may not be very attractive.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 6372
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 2:53:42 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Well played, Sir, and a very gentlemanly message sent to your opponent. I think you owe it to a great opponent to press as hard as you can, rather than holding back.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Mike McCreery)
Post #: 6373
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 4:08:14 AM   
Canoerebel

9/21/43

Thin Man: Today was absolutely staggering in its violence. The fight was at close range - bare knuckle and brutal - and then at a distance with air strikes that got savaged by enemy CAP but still managed to deliver blow after blow. Allied air losses are tremendous. And the vexing thing is that many Japanese ships were badly and perhaps mortally damaged but precious few confirmed kills. What a titanic clash it was.

The day began with a series of intercepts by Allied combat TFs, small and large. These tangled with multiple carrier TFs - some large, others damaged - and inflicted mostly minor damage. Eventually a big USN CA TF got into it with a massive Japanese CV TF, inflicted some damage, but took plenty of its own.

These combats were a series of intense, long-lasting clashes. The CA TF, for instance, was involved in three sequential combats so that, by the third (the big one), it was probably low on ammo. But in the first one it sank badly damaged Kaga, the first confirmed fleet CV casualty. When it tangled with the main Japanese CV TF it damaged many ships, but none to an appreciable extent.

But these no doubt fatigued an already weary enemy, slowing them down more.

Allied air attacks got bloodied badly by strong CAP over the main Japanese CV TF. On the day, the Allies lost 300 aircraft. That's something over 500 in just two days. Then the strike aircraft began targeting more isolated TFs, doing strong damage to some flattops, especially a few CVL.

I'll post the full combat report (very long) after this one. But it seems like there are two categories, as follows:

Heavily Damaged or Sunk:
CV Kaga: 3TT, Sunk (S)
CVL MIzuho: 7B, Heavy Fires/Heavy Damage
CVL Chiyoda: 8B, HF/HD
CV Zuikaku: 4B, HF/HD
CV Hiyo: 4B, HF/HD
CVL Chitose: 4B, HF/HD
CV Akagi: 1B, HF (a special case - she must've been crippled yesterday to in a small TF apart from the others)
CB Kaurachi: 15B, HF
CL Yuhagi: 4B, 1TT HF/HD
DD Susuzaki: Sunk
DD NIshikazi: 3B, HF/HD
DD Natsuzuki: 4B, HF/HD
DD Sagiri: 1B, HF
DD Udachi: 1B, F/HD
DD Ushio: 3B, HF/HD
DD Yuzuki: 1 mine (at Wake), F/HD

Not crippled, but some at least somewhat damaged by surface combat. This group should escape:
CV Shokaku
CV Taikaku
CV Renkaku
CVL Shoho
CVL Ryuho
CB Ikona
CA Iwaki
CA Hikari
CA Atago
CA Myoko
CA Kumano

Therefore, after three days of battle, John has lost or could well lose 8 CVE, 3 CV, 3 CVL. Akagi is a special case that I'm not counting on. That might be a haul of 14 carriers.
On the other hand, John escapes with 3 CVs (plus possibly Akagi), 2 CVLs and a host of CAs.

John sent a message that whether he continues depends on what happens tomorrow. In the event his big remaining carrier TF gets in trouble, he probably concedes or gives it careful thought.

But I can't press home the carrier engagements. I've lost a huge number of aircraft now. Sorties are down to as low as 42%. But any further attacks against the massed CAP will just bleed the carrier air dry. IT's even possible John will load up these carrier with strike aircraft and attack. I don't think so, but it's possible.

But I do have some combat TFs still capable of pursuit and engagement, so they'll press on. I think BB Kirishima TF is inbound, but not close enough to hit me tomorrow.

So my carriers may pull back a bit while providing cover for the ships most heavily damaged. Other ships will make for Pearl. But a fair number of TFs are in excellent fighting condition. And, if necessary, they can replenish at Midway, where an AE, AKE and AD are about to arrive (sent from Kodiak 10 days ago to serve the invasion of Wake Island). And CV Bunker Hill, CVL Cowpens, and three CVE will soon augment the Allied carrier fleet. The invasion TF is nearing French Frigate Shoals, so that's only about a week off, assuming my BBs remain armed (as they currently are).

The Allies did lose two good ships today: DD Elliott in surface combat and an AO at Mili, where CAP did a poor job. One bomb was enough to sink her.

Allied LBA managed some hits too: B24s scored one hit on a flattop, if memory serves, and another on a CB. And Beauforts and Vindicators from Wotje damaged or sank a half dozen xAK near Bikini, possibly bringing reinforcements to Roi or Kwaj. Lots of squads killed in those attacks.

A great day for the Allies even though very costly. But it was worth administering such punishment to an already staggering enemy. I'll try again tomorrow.

I know John has to be in agonies right now. All of us who have been through this before (that's me, many times, most recently at Sabang) know how it feels. Tough times for him. I hope well-meaning Forumites aren't filling his AAR with comments about what he did wrong.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 6374
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 4:12:29 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

John sent a message that whether he continues depends on what happens tomorrow.

Very disappointing to hear. On so many levels.

PS: CR, very well done over the past several weeks. You have stayed true to your operational goals and really played very well.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/18/2016 4:15:48 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6375
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 4:22:52 AM   
Canoerebel

Third day of the Thin Man carrier battle.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/18/2016 4:26:13 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6376
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 4:25:41 AM   
CaptBeefheart

It would be quite disappointing if he threw in the towel. A lot of interesting moments lie ahead.

You are probably writing the post now, but if not could you show us the combat report? [EDIT: 21 seconds after my post.]

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 5/18/2016 5:03:35 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6377
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 4:26:02 AM   
Canoerebel

The complete (very long) combat report with a half-dozen interesting surface engagements and a multitude of air strikes against enemy carrier TFs.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Sep 21, 43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 144,97, Range 13,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Mizuho, Shell hits 3
CVL Chiyoda
CB Kawachi
CA Haguro, Shell hits 1
CL Oyodo
CL Noshiro
CL Yahagi
DD Wakazuki
DD Yoizuki
DD Haruzuki
DD Natsuzuki
DD Suzunami
DD Amatsukaze
DD Yudachi, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Sagiri
DD Asahikari
DD Nishikaze
DD Hikugumo

Allied Ships
DD Charles Ausburne, Shell hits 2
DD Dyson, Shell hits 2
DD Eaton
DD Jenkins, Shell hits 1

Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 53% moonlight: 12,000 yards
Range closes to 27,000 yards...
Range closes to 25,000 yards...
Range closes to 23,000 yards...
Range closes to 21,000 yards...
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 19,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 15,000 yards
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 13,000 yards
Coward, Jesse G. crosses the 'T'
DD Yudachi engages DD Jenkins at 13,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Mizuho at 13,000 yards
DD Dyson engages DD Yudachi at 13,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages DD Yudachi at 13,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages DD Jenkins at 13,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Dyson at 13,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Mizuho at 13,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Charles Ausburne at 13,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages DD Nishikaze at 13,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Chiyoda at 11,000 yards
DD Eaton engages CVL Mizuho at 11,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Charles Ausburne at 11,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages DD Suzunami at 11,000 yards
DD Haruzuki engages DD Charles Ausburne at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Mizuho at 7,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages DD Dyson at 7,000 yards
CA Haguro engages DD Jenkins at 7,000 yards
DD Asahikari engages DD Charles Ausburne at 7,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages DD Yudachi at 7,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages DD Amatsukaze at 7,000 yards
DD Eaton engages DD Suzunami at 7,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Chiyoda at 7,000 yards
DD Eaton engages DD Yudachi at 7,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages DD Dyson at 7,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Charles Ausburne at 7,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages DD Jenkins at 7,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages DD Jenkins at 7,000 yards
DD Hikugumo engages DD Dyson at 7,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages DD Amatsukaze at 7,000 yards
DD Yoizuki engages DD Dyson at 7,000 yards
Range increases to 10,000 yards
CVL Chiyoda , CVL Mizuho screened from combat
- escorted by DD Suzunami , DD Haruzuki
DD Hikugumo engages DD Jenkins at 10,000 yards
CA Haguro engages DD Jenkins at 10,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages DD Jenkins at 10,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages DD Eaton at 10,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages DD Yudachi at 10,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Dyson at 10,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages DD Yoizuki at 10,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages DD Wakazuki at 10,000 yards
CVL Chiyoda , CVL Mizuho screened from combat
- escorted by DD Haruzuki , DD Wakazuki
CB Kawachi engages DD Jenkins at 10,000 yards
DD Yudachi engages DD Eaton at 10,000 yards
DD Yoizuki engages DD Dyson at 10,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Charles Ausburne at 10,000 yards
DD Asahikari engages DD Dyson at 10,000 yards
DD Yudachi engages DD Eaton at 10,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Dyson at 10,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Chiyoda at 7,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Mizuho at 7,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages DD Jenkins at 7,000 yards
CA Haguro engages DD Jenkins at 7,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages DD Jenkins at 7,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages DD Asahikari at 7,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Charles Ausburne at 7,000 yards
DD Yudachi engages DD Charles Ausburne at 7,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CVL Chiyoda at 10,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 144,97, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Mizuho, Shell hits 4, on fire
CVL Chiyoda, Shell hits 2
CB Kawachi, Shell hits 5
CA Haguro
CL Oyodo
CL Noshiro
CL Yahagi, Shell hits 5
DD Wakazuki
DD Yoizuki, Shell hits 1
DD Haruzuki, Shell hits 1
DD Natsuzuki
DD Suzunami
DD Amatsukaze
DD Yudachi, on fire
DD Sagiri
DD Asahikari
DD Nishikaze
DD Hikugumo

Allied Ships
CL Columbia, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Boyd
DD Brownson, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Cony, Shell hits 1
DD Dashiell

CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 19,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
Allies open fire on surprised Japanese ships at 11,000 yards
CL Columbia fires at CB Kawachi at 11,000 yards
CL Columbia fires at CVL Mizuho at 11,000 yards
DD Cony fires at CB Kawachi at 11,000 yards
DD Brownson fires at CB Kawachi at 11,000 yards
DD Boyd fires at CB Kawachi at 11,000 yards
CL Columbia fires at CL Noshiro at 11,000 yards
DD Cony fires at DD Nishikaze at 11,000 yards
DD Cony fires at DD Asahikari at 11,000 yards
DD Brownson fires at DD Yoizuki at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
DD Asahikari engages DD Dashiell at 10,000 yards
DD Haruzuki engages DD Cony at 10,000 yards
DD Brownson engages DD Asahikari at 10,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CL Columbia at 10,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages CL Columbia at 10,000 yards
DD Cony engages DD Asahikari at 10,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Cony at 10,000 yards
DD Asahikari engages DD Dashiell at 7,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages CL Columbia at 7,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CA Haguro at 7,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CL Columbia at 7,000 yards
DD Suzunami engages DD Dashiell at 7,000 yards
DD Brownson engages DD Natsuzuki at 7,000 yards
DD Brownson engages DD Haruzuki at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CL Columbia at 5,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CVL Mizuho at 5,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages DD Cony at 5,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Brownson at 5,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CL Yahagi at 5,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Dashiell at 5,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Cony at 5,000 yards
DD Brownson engages DD Haruzuki at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CVL Chiyoda at 9,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Dashiell at 9,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages CL Columbia at 9,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CL Columbia at 9,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CL Columbia at 9,000 yards
DD Brownson engages DD Natsuzuki at 9,000 yards
DD Haruzuki engages DD Brownson at 9,000 yards
DD Wakazuki engages DD Brownson at 9,000 yards
Range increases to 13,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages CL Columbia at 13,000 yards
DD Wakazuki engages DD Dashiell at 13,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages CL Columbia at 13,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Brownson at 13,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CL Yahagi at 13,000 yards
CL Columbia engages CL Oyodo at 13,000 yards
DD Cony engages DD Hikugumo at 13,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Cony at 13,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Brownson at 13,000 yards
DD Dashiell engages DD Haruzuki at 13,000 yards
Task forces break off...

ASW attack near Amchitka Island at 158,52

Japanese Ships
SS RO-67, hits 9, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Abbot
DD Trathen
DD Sigsbee
DD Schroeder

SS RO-67 is sighted by escort
DD Trathen fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Sigsbee fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Schroeder attacking submerged sub ....
Sounds of submarine breaking up detected!
Escort abandons search for sub

Night Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 143,98, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y1 Judy: 1 destroyed
A6M8 Zero: 1 destroyed
A6M5b Zero: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CV Kaga, Shell hits 16, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
DD Yuzuki, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis
CA Salt Lake City
CA Baltimore
CLAA Juneau
CL Montpelier
DD Ammen
DD Anthony
DD Beale
DD Bennett
DD Bush
DD Converse, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Conway
DD Pringle
DMS Southard

Range closes to 24,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 24,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 9,000 yards
Allies open fire on surprised Japanese ships at 9,000 yards
CA Baltimore fires at CV Kaga at 9,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City fires at CV Kaga at 9,000 yards
CLAA Juneau launches Torpedoes at CV Kaga at 9,000 yards
DD Conway launches Torpedoes at DD Yuzuki at 9,000 yards
DD Converse launches Torpedoes at DD Yuzuki at 9,000 yards
DD Beale launches Torpedoes at DD Yuzuki at 9,000 yards
Ammo storage explosion on CV Kaga
CV Kaga sunk by DD Ammen at 9,000 yards
Range closes to 4,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages DD Yuzuki at 4,000 yards
DD Yuzuki engages DD Converse at 4,000 yards
Range closes to 3,000 yards
DD Yuzuki engages DD Converse at 3,000 yards
Range increases to 6,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages DD Yuzuki at 6,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Yuzuki at 6,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages DD Yuzuki at 10,000 yards
DD Yuzuki engages DD Conway at 10,000 yards
Range increases to 13,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages DD Yuzuki at 13,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages DD Yuzuki at 13,000 yards
DD Yuzuki engages DMS Southard at 13,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 143,96, Range 13,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Hiryu
CV Soryu
CV Shokaku, Shell hits 2
CVL Ryujo, Shell hits 4
CVL Shoho, Shell hits 3
CVL Ryuho, Shell hits 3
CV Taikaku, Shell hits 3
CV Renkaku, Shell hits 1
CB Ikoma, Shell hits 2
CA Iwaki, Shell hits 1
CA Hikari
CA Atago, Shell hits 3
CA Myoko
CA Kumano, Shell hits 1
DD Shimakaze
DD Akizuki, Shell hits 2
DD Teruzuki
DD Niizuki
DD Shimozuki
DD Fuyuzuki
DD Arashikaru, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis
CA Salt Lake City
CA Baltimore, Shell hits 1
CLAA Juneau
CL Montpelier
DD Ammen, Shell hits 1
DD Anthony, Shell hits 1
DD Beale
DD Bennett
DD Bush
DD Converse, on fire
DD Conway, Shell hits 1
DD Pringle, Shell hits 1
DMS Southard

CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 27,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 25,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 23,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 21,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 17,000 yards
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 13,000 yards
Allies open fire on surprised Japanese ships at 13,000 yards
CA Baltimore fires at DD Arashikaru at 13,000 yards
CA Baltimore fires at CV Taikaku at 13,000 yards
CA Baltimore fires at CV Shokaku at 13,000 yards
CL Montpelier fires at CV Shokaku at 13,000 yards
CLAA Juneau fires at CV Taikaku at 13,000 yards
CL Montpelier fires at CVL Ryuho at 13,000 yards
CL Montpelier fires at CVL Shoho at 13,000 yards
CLAA Juneau fires at CVL Ryujo at 13,000 yards
CLAA Juneau fires at CB Ikoma at 13,000 yards
DD Anthony fires at DD Arashikaru at 13,000 yards
DD Ammen fires at CA Hikari at 13,000 yards
DMS Southard fires at CVL Shoho at 13,000 yards
DD Anthony fires at DD Shimozuki at 13,000 yards
DD Anthony fires at DD Niizuki at 13,000 yards
DD Ammen fires at DD Teruzuki at 13,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Taikaku at 10,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CV Soryu at 10,000 yards
CA Hikari engages CLAA Juneau at 10,000 yards
DD Anthony engages CVL Ryuho at 10,000 yards
DD Conway engages DD Niizuki at 10,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CVL Ryujo at 10,000 yards
CB Ikoma engages CA Baltimore at 10,000 yards
CA Kumano engages CLAA Juneau at 10,000 yards
DD Beale engages DD Arashikaru at 10,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Anthony at 10,000 yards
CA Hikari engages CLAA Juneau at 10,000 yards
CA Iwaki engages DMS Southard at 10,000 yards
DD Ammen engages DD Shimozuki at 10,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Anthony at 10,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages CA Myoko at 8,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Shokaku at 8,000 yards
DD Conway engages CV Soryu at 8,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CA Kumano at 8,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Akizuki at 8,000 yards
DD Shimozuki engages DD Conway at 8,000 yards
DD Pringle engages CVL Ryujo at 8,000 yards
DD Shimozuki engages DD Bush at 8,000 yards
DD Shimozuki engages DD Bennett at 8,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CA Myoko at 8,000 yards
CA Atago engages CLAA Juneau at 8,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Ammen at 8,000 yards
CA Iwaki engages CA Baltimore at 8,000 yards
DD Bennett engages DD Fuyuzuki at 8,000 yards
DD Shimozuki engages DD Pringle at 8,000 yards
DD Pringle engages CV Renkaku at 8,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages CV Taikaku at 8,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CA Atago at 8,000 yards
CA Atago engages CL Montpelier at 8,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CA Atago at 8,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Pringle at 8,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Conway at 8,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Converse at 8,000 yards
CB Ikoma engages CA Baltimore at 8,000 yards
CA Kumano engages CA Baltimore at 8,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Beale at 8,000 yards
DD Fuyuzuki engages DD Anthony at 8,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CA Hikari at 8,000 yards
CA Iwaki engages CL Montpelier at 8,000 yards
DD Fuyuzuki engages DD Converse at 8,000 yards
DD Shimozuki engages DD Converse at 8,000 yards
DD Ammen engages DD Teruzuki at 8,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Anthony at 8,000 yards
DD Conway engages CV Renkaku at 10,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages CV Taikaku at 10,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CA Myoko at 10,000 yards
DD Conway engages CV Soryu at 10,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CA Atago at 10,000 yards
DD Converse engages CVL Ryuho at 10,000 yards
DD Conway engages DD Fuyuzuki at 10,000 yards
DD Converse engages CVL Ryujo at 10,000 yards
DD Shimozuki engages DD Bush at 10,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Bennett at 10,000 yards
CA Myoko engages CLAA Juneau at 10,000 yards
DD Anthony engages DD Teruzuki at 10,000 yards
CA Hikari engages CA Baltimore at 10,000 yards
CA Iwaki engages DMS Southard at 10,000 yards
DD Shimozuki engages DD Converse at 10,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Ammen at 10,000 yards
DD Conway engages DD Teruzuki at 10,000 yards
DD Akizuki engages DD Bush at 10,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Submarine attack near Annette Island at 197,43

Japanese Ships
SS I-168

Allied Ships
xAK Cape Fairweather, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Cape Fairweather is sighted by SS I-168
SS I-168 attacking xAK Cape Fairweather on the surface

Day Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 144,96, Range 29,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Akagi, Shell hits 1
CA Tone
CA Mikuma
DD Susuzuki, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
DD Hatsuzuki, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Charles Ausburne, Shell hits 1
DD Dyson
DD Eaton, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Jenkins

Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions: 30,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 29,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 29,000 yards
CV Akagi screened from combat
- escorted by DD Hatsuzuki
CA Mikuma engages DD Eaton at 29,000 yards
CA Tone engages DD Charles Ausburne at 29,000 yards
Range closes to 28,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Jenkins at 28,000 yards
CA Tone engages DD Charles Ausburne at 28,000 yards
Range closes to 24,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Eaton at 24,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Charles Ausburne at 24,000 yards
Range closes to 22,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Jenkins at 22,000 yards
Range closes to 19,000 yards
CA Tone engages DD Jenkins at 19,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Eaton at 19,000 yards
DD Dyson engages DD Hatsuzuki at 19,000 yards
DD Susuzuki engages DD Dyson at 19,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
DD Susuzuki engages DD Jenkins at 16,000 yards
DD Susuzuki engages DD Eaton at 16,000 yards
CA Tone engages DD Eaton at 16,000 yards
Magazine explodes on DD Susuzuki
DD Susuzuki sunk by DD Charles Ausburne at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Jenkins at 14,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Dyson at 14,000 yards
DD Dyson engages DD Hatsuzuki at 14,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages CV Akagi at 11,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Eaton at 11,000 yards
CA Tone engages DD Dyson at 11,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Charles Ausburne at 11,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages CV Akagi at 11,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Eaton at 11,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages DD Hatsuzuki at 11,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages DD Hatsuzuki at 8,000 yards
Massive explosion on DD Eaton
CA Mikuma engages DD Eaton at 8,000 yards
DD Charles Ausburne engages DD Hatsuzuki at 8,000 yards
Coward, Jesse G. orders Allied TF to disengage
Range increases to 11,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages CV Akagi at 11,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Charles Ausburne at 11,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Dyson at 11,000 yards
DD Jenkins engages DD Hatsuzuki at 11,000 yards
Range increases to 17,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Eaton at 17,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Dyson at 17,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Charles Ausburne at 17,000 yards
Range increases to 22,000 yards
CA Tone engages DD Jenkins at 22,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages DD Eaton at 22,000 yards
Range increases to 25,000 yards
CA Tone engages DD Dyson at 25,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 144,96, Range 29,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Mizuho
CVL Chiyoda
CB Kawachi
CA Haguro
CL Oyodo
CL Noshiro
CL Yahagi
DD Wakazuki
DD Yoizuki
DD Haruzuki
DD Natsuzuki
DD Suzunami
DD Amatsukaze
DD Yudachi
DD Sagiri
DD Asahikari
DD Nishikaze
DD Hikugumo

Allied Ships
DD Charles Ausburne
DD Dyson
DD Eaton, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Jenkins

Both TF attempt to withdraw!
Range increases to 30,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat

Day Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 142,95, Range 27,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CV Akagi, Shell hits 7
CA Tone
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 2
DD Hatsuzuki, Shell hits 3, on fire

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis, Shell hits 1
CA Salt Lake City
CA Baltimore
CLAA Juneau
CL Montpelier
DD Ammen
DD Anthony
DD Beale
DD Bennett
DD Bush
DD Converse
DD Conway, Shell hits 1
DD Pringle
DMS Southard

CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 27,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 27,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages CV Akagi at 27,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages DD Hatsuzuki at 27,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Akagi at 27,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages CA Baltimore at 27,000 yards
Range closes to 24,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Akagi at 24,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages CV Akagi at 24,000 yards
CA Tone engages CA Baltimore at 24,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CV Akagi at 24,000 yards
Range closes to 21,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Akagi at 21,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CA Mikuma at 21,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CV Akagi at 21,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CV Akagi at 21,000 yards
DD Converse engages CV Akagi at 21,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Akagi at 20,000 yards
CA Tone engages CA Baltimore at 20,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages DD Hatsuzuki at 20,000 yards
Range closes to 18,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Akagi at 18,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages CLAA Juneau at 18,000 yards
CA Tone engages CA Baltimore at 18,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CV Akagi at 18,000 yards
DD Pringle engages CV Akagi at 18,000 yards
DD Conway engages DD Hatsuzuki at 18,000 yards
DD Converse engages CV Akagi at 18,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Akagi at 16,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages CLAA Juneau at 16,000 yards
CA Tone engages CA Baltimore at 16,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Hatsuzuki at 16,000 yards
DD Bennett engages DD Hatsuzuki at 16,000 yards
DD Beale engages DD Hatsuzuki at 16,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Anthony at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CV Akagi at 14,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages CA Baltimore at 14,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CV Akagi at 14,000 yards
DD Converse engages DD Hatsuzuki at 14,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CV Akagi at 14,000 yards
DD Converse engages DD Hatsuzuki at 14,000 yards
DD Bush engages CV Akagi at 14,000 yards
DD Hatsuzuki engages DD Bennett at 14,000 yards
Range increases to 20,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages CA Baltimore at 20,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages CA Salt Lake City at 20,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CV Akagi at 20,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CV Akagi at 20,000 yards
DD Pringle engages CV Akagi at 20,000 yards
DD Conway engages CV Akagi at 20,000 yards
Range increases to 26,000 yards
CA Mikuma engages CA Baltimore at 26,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CA Mikuma at 26,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CV Akagi at 26,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Submarine attack near Saipan at 115,93

Japanese Ships
xAK Tonan Maru

Allied Ships
SS Sunfish

xAK Tonan Maru is sighted by SS Sunfish
SS Sunfish launches 2 torpedoes at xAK Tonan Maru

Day Time Surface Combat, near Wake Island at 142,95, Range 29,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Mizuho, Shell hits 2, on fire
CVL Chiyoda, Shell hits 1
CB Kawachi, Shell hits 2
CA Haguro, Shell hits 2
CL Oyodo, Shell hits 1
CL Noshiro, Shell hits 3
CL Yahagi, Shell hits 8, on fire
DD Wakazuki
DD Yoizuki
DD Haruzuki
DD Natsuzuki, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Suzunami, Shell hits 1
DD Amatsukaze, heavy damage
DD Yudachi
DD Sagiri
DD Asahikari
DD Nishikaze, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Hikugumo, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis, Shell hits 5, on fire
CA Salt Lake City, Shell hits 5, heavy fires
CA Baltimore, Shell hits 2
CLAA Juneau, Shell hits 4, on fire
CL Montpelier, Shell hits 2
DD Ammen, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Anthony
DD Beale, Shell hits 1
DD Bennett
DD Bush
DD Converse, Shell hits 2
DD Conway
DD Pringle, Shell hits 1, heavy fires
DMS Southard

CL Montpelier engages CL Yahagi at 29,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CL Oyodo at 29,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages DMS Southard at 29,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages DD Natsuzuki at 29,000 yards
Range closes to 27,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CA Salt Lake City at 27,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CA Indianapolis at 27,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CLAA Juneau at 27,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages CA Salt Lake City at 27,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages CA Indianapolis at 27,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages DD Nishikaze at 27,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages DD Amatsukaze at 27,000 yards
CA Haguro engages DMS Southard at 27,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages DD Natsuzuki at 27,000 yards
Range closes to 23,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CA Salt Lake City at 23,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages CA Salt Lake City at 23,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CL Montpelier at 23,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CL Montpelier at 23,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages CA Indianapolis at 23,000 yards
CA Haguro engages DMS Southard at 23,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages DD Yoizuki at 23,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CVL Mizuho at 20,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CA Indianapolis at 20,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CA Indianapolis at 20,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages DD Pringle at 20,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages CA Salt Lake City at 20,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Bush at 20,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Beale at 20,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages DD Amatsukaze at 20,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages DMS Southard at 20,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CL Oyodo at 17,000 yards
DD Pringle engages CVL Mizuho at 17,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages CL Montpelier at 17,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CA Haguro at 17,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CL Yahagi at 17,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Pringle at 17,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Conway at 17,000 yards
DD Yudachi engages DD Converse at 17,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Converse at 17,000 yards
DD Bush engages DD Sagiri at 17,000 yards
DD Anthony engages DD Nishikaze at 17,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Pringle at 17,000 yards
CA Haguro engages DMS Southard at 17,000 yards
DD Beale engages DD Wakazuki at 17,000 yards
Range closes to 15,000 yards
DD Beale engages CVL Chiyoda at 15,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages CL Noshiro at 15,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages CA Indianapolis at 15,000 yards
CA Indianapolis engages CA Haguro at 15,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CLAA Juneau at 15,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Wakazuki at 15,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages DD Conway at 15,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Bush at 15,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Beale at 15,000 yards
DD Bush engages DD Yudachi at 15,000 yards
DD Suzunami engages DD Conway at 15,000 yards
DD Anthony engages DD Yoizuki at 15,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages CA Baltimore at 12,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CA Salt Lake City at 12,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages CA Indianapolis at 12,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CL Oyodo at 12,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CL Yahagi at 12,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages CL Montpelier at 12,000 yards
DD Wakazuki engages DD Conway at 12,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Converse at 12,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Bush at 12,000 yards
DD Bush engages DD Sagiri at 12,000 yards
DD Ammen engages DD Amatsukaze at 12,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Natsuzuki at 12,000 yards
DD Haruzuki engages DD Converse at 12,000 yards
DD Yoizuki engages DD Conway at 12,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CL Noshiro at 8,000 yards
DD Converse engages CVL Mizuho at 8,000 yards
CB Kawachi engages CL Montpelier at 8,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CA Baltimore at 8,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CL Yahagi at 8,000 yards
CL Noshiro engages CA Salt Lake City at 8,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CL Oyodo at 8,000 yards
DD Ammen engages DD Nishikaze at 8,000 yards
DD Bennett engages DD Asahikari at 8,000 yards
DD Sagiri engages DD Bush at 8,000 yards
DD Beale engages DD Yudachi at 8,000 yards
DD Ammen engages DD Amatsukaze at 8,000 yards
DD Anthony engages DD Suzunami at 8,000 yards
CA Baltimore engages CL Yahagi at 10,000 yards
DD Anthony engages CVL Mizuho at 10,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CA Indianapolis at 10,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CA Salt Lake City at 10,000 yards
CL Yahagi engages CLAA Juneau at 10,000 yards
DD Natsuzuki engages DD Pringle at 10,000 yards
CLAA Juneau engages CL Oyodo at 10,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Hikugumo at 10,000 yards
DD Yudachi engages DD Bush at 10,000 yards
DD Bush engages DD Asahikari at 10,000 yards
DD Beale engages DD Amatsukaze at 10,000 yards
DD Yudachi engages DD Ammen at 10,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Beale at 10,000 yards
DD Suzunami engages DMS Southard at 10,000 yards
DD Beale engages DD Natsuzuki at 10,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
DD Bush engages CVL Chiyoda at 12,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages CA Indianapolis at 12,000 yards
CL Montpelier engages CL Noshiro at 12,000 yards
CA Haguro engages CLAA Juneau at 12,000 yards
CA Salt Lake City engages CL Noshiro at 12,000 yards
CL Oyodo engages CA Indianapolis at 12,000 yards
DD Ammen engages DD Hikugumo at 12,000 yards
DD Yudachi engages DD Bush at 12,000 yards
DD Amatsukaze engages DD Bennett at 12,000 yards
DD Nishikaze engages DD Anthony at 12,000 yards
DD Conway engages DD Amatsukaze at 12,000 yards
DD Bennett engages DD Haruzuki at 12,000 yards
DD Ammen engages DD Yoizuki at 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...

TF 156 encounters mine field at Wake Island (136,98)

Japanese Ships
DD Yuzuki, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Morning Air attack on TF, near Mili at 136,121

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 1 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y1 Judy x 4

Allied aircraft
P-38H Lightning x 12
F4U-1 Corsair x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y1 Judy: 1 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 1 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
AO Millicoma, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 1000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
VMF-212 with F4U-1 Corsair (2 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(2 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 29 minutes
49th FG/7th FS with P-38H Lightning (4 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 138,92

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 187
A6M8 Zero x 55

Allied aircraft
Martlet IV x 2
F4F-3A Wildcat x 6
F4F-3 Wildcat x 4
F4F-4 Wildcat x 32
FM-1 Wildcat x 11
F6F-3 Hellcat x 57
SBD-3 Dauntless x 21
SBD-5 Dauntless x 23
TBF-1 Avenger x 17

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3A Wildcat: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 4 destroyed
FM-1 Wildcat: 2 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 2 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 13 destroyed, 5 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 7 destroyed
TBF-1 Avenger: 8 destroyed, 1 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CV Shokaku
CVL Ryuho

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb SAP Bomb
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
Hiyo-1/B with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 15 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes
3 planes vectored on to bombers
Zuikaku-1/C with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 13 minutes
Hiryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 11 minutes
Nisshin-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 17000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 10 minutes
Akagi-1 with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 13 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 19 minutes
Soryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 16000.
Ryujo-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 18 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 18 minutes
Shoho-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 33 on standby, 0 scrambling)
16 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
Ryuho-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 16000.
Taikaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 16000.
Renkaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 171
A6M8 Zero x 52

Allied aircraft
Martlet IV x 2
F4F-4 Wildcat x 38
F6F-3 Hellcat x 40
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 21
SBD-3 Dauntless x 11
SBD-5 Dauntless x 18
TBF-1 Avenger x 58

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 5 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 11 destroyed, 2 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 4 destroyed, 4 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak
SBD-5 Dauntless: 3 destroyed, 3 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 32 destroyed, 11 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 2 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CV Hiryu
CV Taikaku
CV Shokaku
CVL Ryuho
CV Soryu
CB Ikoma
CVL Shoho

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
4 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb, 2 x 250 lb SAP Bomb
5 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
2 x TBF-1 Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 22in Mk 13 Torpedo
2 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
5 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
3 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
1 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
1 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
2 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 2000'
4 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
1 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
8 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 3000'

CAP engaged:
Hiyo-1/B with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
20 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 12000.
13 planes vectored on to bombers
Zuikaku-1/C with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 1 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
8 planes vectored on to bombers
Hiryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 12000.
10 planes vectored on to bombers
Nisshin-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes
7 planes vectored on to bombers
Akagi-1 with A6M8 Zero (3 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 4000 and 21000.
2 planes vectored on to bombers
Soryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes
4 planes vectored on to bombers
Ryujo-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
16 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 17000.
4 planes vectored on to bombers
Shoho-1 with A6M5b Zero (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
40 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 59 minutes
17 planes vectored on to bombers
Ryuho-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 15 minutes
10 planes vectored on to bombers
Taikaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
21 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
Renkaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
18 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
8 planes vectored on to bombers

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 141,92

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid detected at 70 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 23
A6M8 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 14
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 18
SBD-5 Dauntless x 20
TBF-1 Avenger x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 3 destroyed, 4 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 3 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 1 destroyed by flak
TBF-1 Avenger: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
CV Akagi
CA Mikuma, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 4000'
9 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
17 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb
3 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
801 Ku S-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
202 Ku S-1 Det B with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
Zuikaku-1/A with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 13000.
Zuikaku-1/B with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 12000.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 138,98

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 64 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 1
A6M8 Zero x 2

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 16
TBF-1 Avenger x 17

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Ushio

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet

CAP engaged:
Hiyo-1/A with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 11000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes
202 Ku S-1 Det A with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(1 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 2 minutes
Zuikaku-1/A with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 11000
Raid is overhead

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CV Zuikaku
Ammo storage explosion on CV Zuikaku

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 141,96

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 15
SBD-5 Dauntless x 15

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-5 Dauntless: 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Hiyo, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kisaragi

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
4 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
8 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 4000'

Carrier support unable to supply air cover..
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring a Soryu class CV
Ammo storage explosion on CV Hiyo

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 144,96

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Allied aircraft
TBF-1 Avenger x 12

Allied aircraft losses
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVL Chitose, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Kazegumo

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet

Chitose dead in the water ...
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CVL Chitose

Morning Air attack on TF, near Bikini at 129,109

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 6
SB2U-3 Vindicator x 12

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Daisho Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Eikyo Maru, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Seiryu Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Shinnan Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
466 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 4000' *
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb
8 x SB2U-3 Vindicator releasing from 3000' *
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Eikyo Maru
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAKL Shinnan Maru

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 31 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 135
A6M8 Zero x 44

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 4
SBD-3 Dauntless x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3A Wildcat: 1 destroyed
SBD-3 Dauntless: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CV Taikaku

CAP engaged:
Hiyo-1/B with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
12 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 5 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 4000 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 35 minutes
Zuikaku-1/C with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 22000.
Hiryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 10000.
Nisshin-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
11 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 17000.
Akagi-1 with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
14 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 43 minutes
Soryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
14 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes
Ryujo-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 1 on standby, 0 scrambling)
20 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 85 minutes
Shoho-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 5 scrambling)
18 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
Ryuho-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
12 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 48 minutes
Taikaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 6 scrambling)
9 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 44 minutes
Renkaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 3 scrambling)
12 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 6000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 51 minutes

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Beaufort VIII x 1
P-38H Lightning x 5

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Toyohi Maru

Japanese ground losses:
49 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Beaufort VIII launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Raid spotted at 5 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 2

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAKL Nitiyu Maru

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 10000 feet *
Naval Attack: 5 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Raid detected at 23 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 6

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CVL Chitose, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet *
Naval Attack: 5 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Morning Air attack on TF, near Maloelap at 136,117

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D4Y1 Judy x 3

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 4
P-38H Lightning x 3
P-40K Warhawk x 22
F4U-1 Corsair x 1
F6F-3 Hellcat x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
D4Y1 Judy: 2 destroyed

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
347th FG/68th FS with P-40K Warhawk (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 14000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 14000.
Raid is overhead
VMF-216 with F4U-1 Corsair (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 30000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 30000.
Raid is overhead
VRF-18F with F6F-3 Hellcat (3 airborne, 12 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(3 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
Group patrol altitude is 12500 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 16000.
No.16 Sqn RNZAF with Kittyhawk IA (1 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
15th FG/45th FS with P-40K Warhawk (3 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 18000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 23 minutes
15th FG/47th FS with P-38H Lightning (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 30000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 30000.
Raid is overhead
318th FG/73rd FS with P-40K Warhawk (3 airborne, 7 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
475th FG/431st FS with P-38H Lightning (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 20000.
Raid is overhead

Raid detected at 35 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 16 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 127
A6M8 Zero x 40

Allied aircraft
TBF-1 Avenger x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
TBF-1 Avenger: 4 destroyed

CAP engaged:
Hiyo-1/B with A6M8 Zero (9 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
9 plane(s) intercepting now.
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 4000 and 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
Zuikaku-1/C with A6M8 Zero (7 airborne, 0 on standby, 1 scrambling)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 12000 and 22000.
Hiryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (8 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
8 plane(s) intercepting now.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 23 minutes
Nisshin-1 with A6M5b Zero (10 airborne, 0 on standby, 1 scrambling)
10 plane(s) intercepting now.
Akagi-1 with A6M8 Zero (8 airborne, 0 on standby, 8 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 21000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 19000.
Soryu-1 with A6M5b Zero (8 airborne, 0 on standby, 7 scrambling)
Ryujo-1 with A6M5b Zero (14 airborne, 0 on standby, 8 scrambling)
14 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 15000.
Shoho-1 with A6M5b Zero (10 airborne, 4 on standby, 10 scrambling)
10 plane(s) intercepting now.
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 4000 and 15000.
Ryuho-1 with A6M5b Zero (8 airborne, 0 on standby, 3 scrambling)
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
Taikaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 10 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes
Renkaku-1 with A6M5b Zero (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 7 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 15000.

Raid detected at 23 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
SBD-3 Dauntless x 18

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CVL Chitose, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Yugumo
DD Kazegumo

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
8 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
6 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 142,94

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 9
A6M8 Zero x 15

Allied aircraft
Martlet IV x 8
F4F-3A Wildcat x 7
F4F-3 Wildcat x 4
F4F-4 Wildcat x 39
FM-1 Wildcat x 6
F6F-3 Hellcat x 140
SB2C-1C Helldiver x 33
SBD-3 Dauntless x 2
SBD-5 Dauntless x 39
TBF-1 Avenger x 87

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 2 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 3 destroyed
SB2C-1C Helldiver: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
SBD-5 Dauntless: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Oyodo, Bomb hits 2, on fire
CVL Mizuho, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
CB Kawachi, Bomb hits 15, heavy fires
CL Noshiro
CVL Chiyoda, Bomb hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Yahagi, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Haguro
DD Nishikaze, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Natsuzuki, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Sagiri, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DD Haruzuki
DD Suzunami, Bomb hits 2, on fire
DD Asahikari
DD Hikugumo
DD Yoizuki
DD Yudachi, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
8 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 15000 feet
13 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 4000'
1 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 3000'
8 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
14 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
7 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 20000 feet
17 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb
6 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
15 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 20000 feet
13 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x Martlet IV sweeping at 10000 feet
7 x TBF-1 Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
6 x TBF-1 Avenger launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x Martlet IV sweeping at 20000 feet
9 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
4 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 10000 feet
3 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
2 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 10000 feet
2 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
6 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 15000 feet
18 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet
9 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 20000 feet
1 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 15000 feet
5 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 25000 feet
1 x F4F-3A Wildcat sweeping at 15000 feet
3 x FM-1 Wildcat sweeping at 10000 feet
3 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 10000 feet
6 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 10000 feet
4 x F4F-4 Wildcat sweeping at 8000 feet
7 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 15000 feet
5 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 2000'
10 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 4000'
7 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 20000 feet
8 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 15000 feet
4 x F6F-3 Hellcat sweeping at 20000 feet
7 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
4 x SB2C-1C Helldiver releasing from 3000'

CAP engaged:
Hiyo-1/C with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 16000.
251 Ku S-1/C with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 16000.

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CVL Chiyoda
Fuel storage explosion on CVL Mizuho
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CVL Mizuho
Ammo storage explosion on CVL Mizuho
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CB Kawachi
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring a Kamikaze class DD
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Yudachi
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CL Yahagi
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Sagiri

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 141,92

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 13
A6M8 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 5
SBD-3 Dauntless x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CV Akagi, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
6 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'

CAP engaged:
801 Ku S-1 with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 13000 and 15000.
2 planes vectored on to bombers
202 Ku S-1 Det B with A6M8 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Zuikaku-1/A with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 11000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes
1 planes vectored on to bombers
Zuikaku-1/B with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 2 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 15000.

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring a Kaga class CV

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 144,96

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 9
TBF-1 Avenger x 15

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CVL Chitose, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Yugumo

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 141,96

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Allied aircraft
F4F-4 Wildcat x 7
SBD-5 Dauntless x 11

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Kisaragi

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x SBD-5 Dauntless releasing from 4000'

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 138,98

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 37 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 1
A6M8 Zero x 2

Allied aircraft
F6F-3 Hellcat x 9
TBF-1 Avenger x 15

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Ushio, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x TBF-1 Avenger bombing from 5000 feet

CAP engaged:
Hiyo-1/A with A6M8 Zero (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead
202 Ku S-1 Det A with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 3 minutes
Zuikaku-1/A with A6M5b Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 11000
Raid is overhead

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Ushio

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bikini at 129,109

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 1

Allied aircraft
Beaufort VIII x 3

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Daihaku Maru, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Japanese ground losses:
658 casualties reported
Squads: 26 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 11 destroyed, 10 disabled
Guns lost 35 (35 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Beaufort VIII launching torpedoes at 200 feet

CAP engaged:
Nagasaki-3 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 26000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 26000.
Raid is overhead

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bikini at 129,109

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 1

Allied aircraft
B-25D1 Mitchell x 2
P-38H Lightning x 13

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAKL Nitian Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x B-25D1 Mitchell bombing from 6000 feet *
Naval Attack: 3 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

CAP engaged:
Nagasaki-3 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 26000 , scrambling fighters to 17870.
Raid is overhead

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6378
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 4:30:05 AM   
Canoerebel

Gents, I think John's big remaining TF will make a clean escape. That, I think, was what he's conditioning his continuance on. He'll need to gather his thoughts and work his resolve, but he'll stick. And he'll fight hard.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6379
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:14:11 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

Gents, I think John's big remaining TF will make a clean escape. That, I think, was what he's conditioning his continuance on. He'll need to gather his thoughts and work his resolve, but he'll stick. And he'll fight hard.

Make sure to get some sleep tonight CR.

On whether John continues, I think he owes it to you to continue on regardless. We've all seen him enjoy clobbering his opponent in the first 1800 months of the game many times. Frankly, I'd like him to continue to really see his mettle and learn whether he's a one trick pony. I for one, will be disappointed to not get to follow your road to victory if he concedes.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 5/18/2016 5:17:05 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6380
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:19:35 AM   
BBfanboy

You need time to let your pilots rest and reload all your ships too. Replenishing air groups is gonna take a loooong time.

Re: the lonely Akagi - I bet she is out of fuel. None of the damage you did to her seems enough to have her separate like that. Your SCTFs may find other ships out of fuel too .....

I wonder if those AOs retreated toward Midway when they met with the Fletchers ...

And congrats on continuing a bloody battle and prevailing. Would have been easy to call it off in the face of all that CAP.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6381
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:36:17 AM   
Canoerebel

My Hellcats are okay, but my strike aircraft squadrons are mostly trashed. So Death Star will move towards Wake, though it will be in a position to it Akagi if she's still moving slowly.

So, can I proceed with the Wake invasion? Yes, I think so. I'll have plenty of carriers. Ent and Hornet will retire to Pearl, but their places will be taken by newly a newly arrived CV, CVL, and three CVE.

As for aircraft, there are plenty of fighters (roughly 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the Hellcats). I think I can work out ways to get more SBDs and some TBFs to maintain a credible offensive power.

The main question is the BBs. Thus far they haven't fired their main guns in this battle. That may change tomorrow. If they do have to replenish, that will slow things down. But if I can count on four or five BBs at Wake, I'll proceed.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6382
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:38:44 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

On whether John continues, I think he owes it to you to continue on regardless. We've all seen him enjoy clobbering his opponent in the first 1800 months of the game many times. Frankly, I'd like him to continue to really see his mettle and learn whether he's a one trick pony. I for one, will be disappointed to not get to follow your road to victory if he concedes.

Man, I need sleep. I just sent John the turn, so I think I'll sleep well tonight.

I think John will continue. I'm trying to encourage him a bit (without overdoing it). It's always better when a player fights through the hard times. It's tougher to look in the mirror when we walk away.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 6383
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:48:52 AM   
Canoerebel

Notice aircraft loss totals and ships loss totals on the eve of combat, just before the shooting begins on Sept. 19, 1943.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6384
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 5:50:22 AM   
Canoerebel

Totals after three days of battle.

Allied air losses have been immense.

Japanese ship lost totals probably will rise dramatically as more cripples sink.

I think John may have lost as many as 10 DDs in this battle. That's a significant number considering what he'd already lost to this point in the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6385
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 6:06:13 AM   
poodlebrain

In all of the night time surface engagements your radar gave you early detection of the Japanese ships. You were able to close to within maximum visibility and achieve surprise. The results of the night time engagements were kind of disappointing given your element of surprise and the ranges at which you opened fire. I guess your night fighting experience was not good enough to achieve the decisive results that were possible, or the Japanese night experience was good enough to avoid disaster. None the less, you forced the Japanese to use vital OPs that hindered their maneuverability when the air strikes came during daylight.

How serious were your pilot losses over the last few days? What condition are your squadrons in with respect to pilots? Will you be transferring pilots to fill out "ace" squadrons, or will you keep a cadre of veteran pilots in all squadrons now that you have a distinct numerical superiority in carriers?

Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6386
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:12:21 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

quote:

+1

It would be sad for you not to play through the full game. To endure for so long the punishment, then have one redemptive battle, it doesn't really fill up your dark glass completely. The game at its best is about fulfilling a plan and seeing that through against an opponent who is equally determined.

It would be sad for him too. It feels bad to have this happen, to lead it to happen in this way especially, but it's a long war. There are other points of resistance he'll be able to make. I fear though that he simply doesn't enjoy the smaller, more intricate details of the game so necessary to playing the Japanese side well into the endgame. I hope due to your friendship he staggers on and finds some joy in the resistance and seeing the results of his mod into the final years.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 6387
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:21:46 AM   
Encircled

So he's lost a lot of carriers.

Not down to luck, not down to bad dice rolls, but to rubbish play on his part and good play on CRs and he's thinking of quitting?

Its a game where us JFBs enjoy the good times and the bad times, or what is the point of playing?

He owes you to keep playing to be honest

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6388
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 8:34:13 AM   
1275psi

If John wants consoling, he can always keep bashing me up......(bloody Banzias)
However, if he quits this game, a game where he has all the toys plus more, it will hardly
fill me with confidence for the future............

big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6389
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 5/18/2016 9:32:13 AM   
Encircled

quote:

If John wants consoling, he can always keep bashing me up......(bloody Banzias)
However, if he quits this game, a game where he has all the toys plus more, it will hardly
fill me with confidence for the future............

+ 1

Another mod on the way with the Japanese having Imnperial Star Destroyers?

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 6390
Page:   <<   < prev  211 212 [213] 214 215   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  211 212 [213] 214 215   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI