Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game recommendation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Game recommendation? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game recommendation? - 5/18/2016 5:21:53 PM   
Wurtz

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Matrix and Slitherine games. I was wondering if those here who know their collection well could recommend one to me?

Here are some basic principles I like to see in games:

1. Randomization. I don't really like to see the same thing happen every game. I like the AI to be different each time.
2. Replay value. Similar to point one, I value a game where you can spend many hours in it and continue to be intrigued by it.
3. Historical accuracy. I like games to be historically accurate, for example in World War II, not having the Axis producing Allied planes, etc.
4. Time period. I am most intrigued by the time period of 1914 (World War I) to 1945 (end of World War II). I am also heavily intrigued by the American Revolutionary War and the American Civil War time periods. Don't feel limited by this though, as I'm completely open to any time period. I am quite a history buff, so I enjoy learning about all facets of history!

Of course there can be some discrepancies from the above points when suggesting a game. I don't expect to find the "perfect" game, but those are just some main prospects that I think add a lot to a game.

So, what do you guys think? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

< Message edited by Wurtz -- 5/18/2016 5:29:25 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/18/2016 5:42:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wurtz

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Matrix and Slitherine games. I was wondering if those here who know their collection well could recommend one to me?

Here are some basic principles I like to see in games:

1. Randomization. I don't really like to see the same thing happen every game. I like the AI to be different each time.
2. Replay value. Similar to point one, I value a game where you can spend many hours in it and continue to be intrigued by it.
3. Historical accuracy. I like games to be historically accurate, for example in World War II, not having the Axis producing Allied planes, etc.
4. Time period. I am most intrigued by the time period of 1914 (World War I) to 1945 (end of World War II). I am also heavily intrigued by the American Revolutionary War and the American Civil War time periods. Don't feel limited by this though, as I'm completely open to any time period. I am quite a history buff, so I enjoy learning about all facets of history!

Of course there can be some discrepancies from the above points when suggesting a game. I don't expect to find the "perfect" game, but those are just some main prospects that I think add a lot to a game.

So, what do you guys think? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

3. WW2: WitP AE, WitE / WitW. No fantasy, uber historical accuracy. AGEOD [American] Civil War II

I play/ed all of them except WitW. PBEM and vs AI. AE is a monster. A logistical dream (or nightmare ) WitE is another monster but much more manageable. The AGEOD game is wonderful.

2. Witp has been on my hard drive since 2004. It still amazes me even after 12 years. So... enough said! Same thing with the others.

But of course, to each his own

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/18/2016 5:46:12 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Wurtz)
Post #: 2
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/18/2016 5:52:41 PM   
CGGrognard

Okay I'll bite. Though I haven't tried this game (lack of patience perhaps), it may fit into your requirements. Gary Grigsby's titles such as War In The East and War In The West may be appealing. For WW1, though it may not be as detailed is Commander The Great War, which pits you as the Entente or Central powers' leader.
The best advice though on choosing games would be to review these forums. The forum topics should give you some sense of the popularity and challenge of the game itself.
Added note: In the Matrix store on a games' page, there are links to current discussions on that particular game.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Wurtz)
Post #: 3
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/18/2016 7:15:14 PM   
wings7

Welcome William to the family! I would suggest (if you haven't done so) going to the "PRODUCTS" page (tab) and do a search. All the game pages have good descriptions and alot of good info (Genre, Period, etc.) and you will get alot of games that members here will recommend! Enjoy the ride!

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 4
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/18/2016 7:59:12 PM   
Twotribes

If you want a game that allows random creation try Advanced Tactics Gold.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 5
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/18/2016 8:25:19 PM   
gwgardner

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa, here at Matrix. Or on Steam.

Although it is all about the Barbarossa Campaign, there are so many variations of play possible in the game that it has VERY high replayability. The AI is superb, for either side.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 6
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/18/2016 8:26:45 PM   
Wurtz

I see. I'll check these out. Thanks for the suggestions!

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 7
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/19/2016 12:08:24 AM   
Jafele

Randomization, challenging AI and replayability? I know the one you wish if you like fantasy wargames.

Try Heroes III of might and magic and HOTA (free expansion).

Do not buy the HD edition available in Steam, get the old Complete edition instead.

I also recommend Heroes V of might and magic and a free mod.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 5/19/2016 12:16:51 AM >

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to Wurtz)
Post #: 8
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/19/2016 4:14:49 PM   
Kuokkanen

Steel Panthers - World at War reinforced with Enhanced mod and then some. All in one installation file. Steel Panthers game series is a legend, and Major Mess & iskaput (same person with different forum accounts) has made heroic deed to put the newest of the series together with the most popular mods. Game can have some issues with newest computers, particularly with Windows 7 and multicore processors. If you have any issues with it, look up SPWAW section in this forum and tell about your problems in there. There are solutions, and game works for me.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 9
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/19/2016 6:51:41 PM   
wodin

Command Ops,GGWITE, GGWITW, WITP, WW1Gold for modern Command Modern Air\Naval Operations or Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 10
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/20/2016 12:53:31 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Panzer Command: Osfront if you like tactical WWII games. lots of random though not as much as a total randomized game and lots of replayability.

Conquest Medieval if you like chesslike games with wargame like figures. Very random very replayable.

Battle Academy II has the eastern front and randomization miniatures style play and much replayability

While command Ops is listed it's not a randomized game. The maps, starting units and scenario's are static, while you can adjust the reinforcement pool and starting advantages.

Making History WWII and now I believe WWI are randomized faction sides and truly a what if historical game of WWII. What if Germany and America had of joined up is possible. What if the USA had of never entered the war? What if Brazil attacked so n so. It's also "turn based" and looks a lot like the early HOI's. Though I wouldn't call this game "historically accurate" but, the what if about it is interesting.

As someone else said above "Advanced Tactics Gold" is very random but not quite historical. It's more of an enhanced EMPIRE Deluxe game than a historically accurate wargame although you can design some scenario's and some come with the game that deal with WWI or WWII premades.

Many of the titles you've seen so far are also heavily advanced player games like WitP and WitE and WitW. These are monster games and have a steep learning curve. I once read a player took 2 hours playing the 1st turn of War in the Pacific.

Last but not least is of course Steel Panthers W@W or WWII. Free game download if you just google and search for it. Might even be here haven't checked.

I don't know how advanced you are or what level of entry you are but the ones I have listed are entry to intermediate level. Mostly quick to play and don't take a lifetime to make a move or finish a game.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/20/2016 1:50:03 AM   
Rosseau

Battlefront.com Combat Mission 2 game series has a demo but no WWI. Worth at least checking out after buying all the Matrix games.

< Message edited by rosseau -- 5/20/2016 1:55:14 AM >

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 12
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/20/2016 5:10:23 AM   
Jagdtiger14

World in Flames. Check out the AAR's. As for your basic principles:
1. Randomization. (very high), although this game has no AI and is meant to be played vs human opponents.
2. Replay value. (extremely high, actually unlimited). You will spend the rest of your life intrigued by it.
3. Historical accuracy. (very low). While there are actual units that participated...especially every naval vessel from cruisers and up represented from every major and minor nation and air units, there are some late war fantasy units as well. There is no historical set up, everything comes down to your own placements and purchases. In a way, it would help to be a fantasist.
4. Time period. Fits.

You might want to consider two more basic principles: Game Support. Is the game currently being supported by either the original developer (updates, bugs, etc...), or by dedicated fans such as Steel Panthers (another good pick)? The other principle is: Universe of players playing the game. WiF is huge and has conventions around the world.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 13
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/20/2016 5:27:00 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

1. Randomization. (very high), although this game has no AI and is meant to be played vs human opponents.
2. Replay value. (extremely high, actually unlimited). You will spend the rest of your life intrigued by it.
3. Historical accuracy. (very low). While there are actual units that participated...especially every naval vessel from cruisers and up represented from every major and minor nation and air units, there are some late war fantasy units as well. There is no historical set up, everything comes down to your own placements and purchases. In a way, it would help to be a fantasist.
4. Time period. Fits.

You might want to consider two more basic principles: Game Support. Is the game currently being supported by either the original developer (updates, bugs, etc...), or by dedicated fans such as Steel Panthers (another good pick)? The other principle is: Universe of players playing the game. WiF is huge and has conventions around the world.
warspite1

+1 Best Game Ever - (but please note this game still has issues which anyone on that forum would be happy to discuss if you are interested)

I would add something to Historical Accuracy though.

The game is designed to be one that can be won by either side. For that reason there are liberties taken for game balance purposes with some of the unit factors (and no doubt the unit numbers). That said however, the game does provide players with an historical framework to ensure that each game has a proper WWII feel e.g. The Axis are the Axis - Italy, Germany and Japan and the Allies are the Allies, CW, France, China and, ultimately the USA and the USSR (there is a clever US entry system and a Nazi-Soviet pact to keep things in check). Within that framework players can do pretty much what they want (with some exceptions) although in WIF, every action in the early part of the war by both sides has a potential effect on all important US Entry - so its never a free for all.

If you want a fun - but very difficult to master - game that encompasses the entire war, and is set out on a beautiful map of the whole world!, with NATO counters for the armies, and full colour silhouettes of the ships and aircraft that took part in WWII then look no further.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 14
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/20/2016 11:31:12 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
I once read a player took 2 hours playing the 1st turn of War in the Pacific.

That is an optimistic estimation. It can easily take 4 or 5 hours (the allied side) if you want to do everything on the first turn. The Japanese first turn might take 10, 20 or even 30 hours

It looks insane but after that -if you fully understand the rules, not too hard by the way- you're using the autopilot and with around 5, 10 minutes each turn you should be ok.

Post #: 15
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/20/2016 11:10:19 PM   
BellaDonna

I recommended site with game for kids - really site full of interesting games

Post #: 16
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/21/2016 5:21:43 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
+1 Best Game Ever - (but please note this game still has issues which anyone on that forum would be happy to discuss if you are interested)

To each his own; WiF is a very popular game with some people, but I didn't care for it at all. Even it if worked (which it didn't the last time I tried to play long ago), it has a very counter-intuitive and complicated turn structure, and I didn't care much for how combat is resolved. Plus its expensive, and the rule books are > 300 pp, so it is quite an investment in time and money to play... Finally, there is no AI and probably never will be AI.

I'm not interested in getting into a big debate about the points above, but simply wanted to point out that WiF is not for everyone.

You might want to look at Matrix's Campaign Series Middle East; it is a bit after your time period, but has most of the other features, including lots of randomization. It also has a very good, responsive dev team, and they are planning additional games in the series (Vietnam next in line).

< Message edited by 76mm -- 5/21/2016 5:26:28 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/21/2016 5:47:49 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

I'm not interested in getting into a big debate about the points above, but simply wanted to point out that WiF is not for everyone.

warspite1

What game is?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 18
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/21/2016 9:07:37 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

CIVILIZATION II-IV-V.

What game is? After all these years the civilization series is still in the top 10 of best games of all time. In the sense not for everyone...true....but darn close. Better overall than WIF for sure, of course as always imho.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 19
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/21/2016 11:21:18 AM   
Jafele

quote:

To each his own; WiF is a very popular game with some people, but I didn't care for it at all. Even it if worked (which it didn't the last time I tried to play long ago), it has a very counter-intuitive and complicated turn structure, and I didn't care much for how combat is resolved. Plus its expensive, and the rule books are > 300 pp, so it is quite an investment in time and money to play... Finally, there is no AI and probably never will be AI.

You might want to look at Matrix's Campaign Series Middle East; it is a bit after your time period, but has most of the other features, including lots of randomization. It also has a very good, responsive dev team, and they are planning additional games in the series (Vietnam next in line).

+1

Competent dev teams are not usual in these times. From my experience that´s an important value for any good game.

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 20
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/21/2016 4:41:00 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jafele

quote:

+1

Competent dev teams are not usual in these times. From my experience that´s an important value for any good game.

Amen to that brother man.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 21
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/22/2016 12:45:29 PM   
milkweg

"3. WW2: WitP AE, WitE / WitW."

If he is new here how do you expect him to know what all those acronyms mean?

FFS! ;)

For some real time fun get Close Combat - Gateway to Caen.

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/506/Close.Combat.-.Gateway.to.Caen

< Message edited by milkweg -- 5/22/2016 12:51:37 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/22/2016 3:57:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: milkweg

"3. WW2: WitP AE, WitE / WitW."

If he is new here how do you expect him to know what all those acronyms mean?

FFS! ;)

I don't expect anything. I always used these acronyms on these forums. Although I would not use them on my local Club -The Refined Art of Dung Beetle Breeding and other Trascendental Matters. In case of doubt he only has to ask.

WTF ;)

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 23
RE: Game recommendation? - 5/30/2016 1:19:30 PM   
BellaDonna

Thanks for the suggestions! My recommendation game is here!

< Message edited by BellaDonna -- 3/23/2021 3:42:03 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: Game recommendation? - 7/13/2016 5:35:45 PM   
MunGuel

Thank you! Great!

(in reply to BellaDonna)
Post #: 25
RE: Game recommendation? - 7/13/2016 7:40:14 PM   
wodin

Command Ops may not be randomised as such but the AI is excellent and will play out differently each time.

(in reply to MunGuel)
Post #: 26
RE: Game recommendation? - 12/22/2016 5:04:19 AM   
milkweg

The life of the dew worm is more interesting than beetles.

Post #: 27
RE: Game recommendation? - 12/22/2016 1:26:51 PM   
eagle335577

D.R.O.N.E. the game

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 28
RE: Game recommendation? - 12/22/2016 8:40:22 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

CIVILIZATION II-IV-V.

What game is? After all these years the civilization series is still in the top 10 of best games of all time. In the sense not for everyone...true....but darn close. Better overall than WIF for sure, of course as always imho.

Hate civ they ruined combat you can not wage war.

Post #: 29
RE: Game recommendation? - 12/22/2016 11:00:45 PM   
AbwehrX

quote:

Jagdtiger14-

4. Time period. Fits.

quote:

warspite1

I would add something to Historical Accuracy though.

The game is designed to be one that can be won by either side. For that reason there are liberties taken for game balance purposes with some of the unit factors (and no doubt the unit numbers). That said however, the game does provide players with an historical framework to ensure that each game has a proper WWII feel e.g. The Axis are the Axis - Italy, Germany and Japan and the Allies are the Allies, CW, France, China and, ultimately the USA and the USSR (there is a clever US entry system and a Nazi-Soviet pact to keep things in check). Within that framework players can do pretty much what they want (with some exceptions) although in WIF, every action in the early part of the war by both sides has a potential effect on all important US Entry - so its never a free for all.

If you want a fun - but very difficult to master - game that encompasses the entire war, and is set out on a beautiful map of the whole world!, with NATO counters for the armies, and full colour silhouettes of the ships and aircraft that took part in WWII then look no further.

Amen to those.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Game recommendation? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI