Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 5/25/2016 12:14:39 AM   
tortugapower

Hey everyone, I created a tutorial series that differs from Das24680 (now "Dastactic"). His is a little more theoretical, mine is a hand-holding start to someone's first game, which skips the deeper concepts and is focused more on just the basic game mechanics and how to get started in your first game.

The first few months I've had it up, it received some rather positive feedback, and recently DW's subreddit has also responded positively to it, so I'll also post it here in case anyone finds it useful. (I don't monetize, I just genuinely want to grow the DW community.)

I hope we see an influx to the community with the recent torrent of space games being released or rediscovered (e.g. Stellaris, Aurora 4X).

<Link to playlist here>

Expanded link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXzIAdwiCCzPk_REYjI2iVatlXVRD0qZ

Cheers,
Tortuga
Post #: 1
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 5/25/2016 1:04:06 PM   
impi07

This is very helpful. Thanks!

I own the game for 2 years, but didn't play it much. After 20 hours Stellaris I realized, that there are many things missing.
Now I have started with DWU again and really enjoy it.

(in reply to tortugapower)
Post #: 2
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 5/25/2016 6:21:34 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

to TortugaPower: BRAVO !!!

(in reply to impi07)
Post #: 3
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 5/25/2016 10:59:19 PM   
philabos

When Stellaris came out, I almost bought it. Then I thought why not actually learn that DW sitting on my hard drive.
I followed Eric's instructions for an easy introductory game (stickied at the top of the War Room forum) and turned all automation off.
Obviously as your Empre grows, you have to use automation, but starting with actually sending those ships out really taught me the
Game.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 4
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 5/26/2016 8:33:04 AM   
phi6

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. Almost everyone recommends playing a standard game with automation turned on, and then slowly turn them to manual as you start learning the mechanics.

Like yourself, I found the opposite a lot more helpful, not to mention much more immersive. Pre-warp starts are fantastic with automation off, and you get to learn the mechanics inside out. As your empire grows, you start delegating tasks... makes more much sense!

(in reply to philabos)
Post #: 5
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 5/26/2016 10:12:11 AM   
Bingeling

I played this game for a long time without bothering with manual construction ships. This also includes not paying too much attention to resources, as the AI actually does a decent job as long as it has some construction ships and available resource spots. I would usually not run them manual even today, though, unless the AI starts annoying me to insisting to go the a pirate/silvermist infested hole at the other side of the galaxy to get some resource we already got 3 sources of.

I think that one key difference though, is that I did this in the vanilla game and return of the shakturi expansion. There was less stuff going on, and thus easier to see what actually went on. None of those had pre-warp, characters, wonders, zones of influence. Vanilla did even have automatic (only) research and no research module as far as I remember. I also find ship design a chore, and have never spent too much focus in that area.

The key in the above is that automation is quite wonderful, but you ought to understand what is being automated.

As for forum advice, there is also the little factor that there are many ways to play this game. When it comes to construction ships, I see advices of "you need lots of them", but if I actually play with them on manual, I would most likely have 3 or 4 that spend most of their time being idle. Which tells me that my games does not look anything like their games, or they have no clue at all ;-)

(in reply to phi6)
Post #: 6
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 5/27/2016 9:01:33 AM   
tortugapower

I am of the same mindset as that very humorous text walkthrough: automation is for experts, none for beginner's!

But I'm a glutton for punishment and really enjoy immersing myself into complex game mechanics. Plus, I think once you understand the game without automation, then you actually understand what automation will do and can use it effectively.

My fear about using automation as a crutch is that lack of knowledge and watching the AI control stuff just creates disinterest and separation from the game.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 6/6/2016 11:26:13 PM   
nelmsm1

Finally got through the first 7 episodes and found it very useful. Played off and on but never really dug into it and you have shown me the light. Looking forward to more episodes!

(in reply to tortugapower)
Post #: 8
RE: Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough - 8/1/2016 10:45:19 PM   
USSAmerica

I've just finished your tutorial series, tortugapower, and really enjoyed them! Very helpful, clear, and concise! Looking forward to additional chapters!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Entry-level, beginner tutorial game walkthrough Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI