Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is Matrix dying?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is Matrix dying? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 5/31/2016 5:42:13 PM   
stormbringer3

I use and post on both forums and I very much prefer Matrix.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 91
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 5/31/2016 7:56:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

The Slitherine site is actually about to be updated to be more in line with the Matrix one. The Matrix forums will probably be brought more in line with Slitherine. We are standardizing things but it takes time and our main focus is on making great games so these things tend to lag behind. Basically we're taking the best of both companies and using that as the standard to go forwards. For example the production process Matrix had established was much more thorough and professional so we're using that as the basis while the marketing team was more structured at Slitherine. Its taken quite a few years but its slowly all coming together :)
warspite1

Please don't change the layout of this forum.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 92
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 5/31/2016 9:17:41 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Making it like the Wargamer would be nice. Have a "General Discussion" forum and then a "Computer Wargame and Strategy game" forum.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 93
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 5/31/2016 9:36:16 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

On the War in the East forums they said they are working on WiTE 2 right now.

My perception as a long time developer of serious wargames is that Matrix is alive and well. The combining of Matrix and Slitherine has led to what was hoped, a place producing many different kinds of games, where they can continue to build a market for all kinds of generally more serious strategy games. Slitherine has a better developed marketing department, while the core management of the combined company includes people that like and play serious wargames and more playable strategy/war games. Keeping this going, growing, and paying the bills is not an easy thing to do, but so far Slitherine/Matrix seem to be making as good an attempt at it as anyone. Things can always change, but from my viewpoint, it's so far so good.

As for 2by3, we are currently working on Steel Tigers and War in the East2, while also actively supporting WitW (and with great help from some of the community, WitE1). These are big projects, and they will take time. Steel (tactical WWII) is being done with the help and involvement of Matrix development staff. At it's core, we want this to showcase Gary's talent with game design, combat and AI logic, along with Matrix/Slitherine's talent with art and interface. If we get it right, it will be, like the original Steel Panthers series, something that will interest die hard wargamers and casual wargamers alike. War in the East2 is also going forward, and we feel it will be an improvement over both WitE1 and WitW. At the moment we can move both projects forward. At some point we may find that one will be delayed by needed work on the other, but we're trying to keep that interruption to a minimum. We are mostly limited by the fact that at the moment we have 2 core programmers (not counting Matrix support, which is a major plus on Steel), one of whom is part time, and these are big projects.

Of course both of these games also depend on a legion of dedicated hobbyists that provide the data that drives the games. This is where the Matrix forums and community have helped us over the years find those talented individuals that enjoy working on these projects. As far as I'm concerned David Heath did the wargame industry a big service when he started Matrix and began building this community. I thank him for that, and with luck this community will continue to grow.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 6/1/2016 4:02:08 PM >

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 94
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/1/2016 3:09:59 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

quote:

My perception as a long time developer of serious wargames is that Matrix is alive and well. The combining of Matrix and Slitherine has led to what was hoped, a place producing many different kinds of games, where they can continue to build a market for all kinds of generally more serious strategy games. Slitherine has a better developed marketing department, while the core management of the combined company includes people that like and play serious wargames and more playable strategy/war games. Keeping this going, growing, and paying the bills is an easy thing to do, but so far Slitherine/Matrix seem to be making as good an attempt at it as anyone. Things can always change, but from my viewpoint, it's so far so good.

As for 2by3, we are currently working on Steel Tigers and War in the East2, while also actively supporting WitW (and with great help from some of the community, WitE1). These are big projects, and they will take time. Steel (tactical WWII) is being done with the help and involvement of Matrix development staff. At it's core, we want this to showcase Gary's talent with game design, combat and AI logic, along with Matrix/Slitherine's talent with art and interface. If we get it right, it will be, like the original Steel Panthers series, something that will interest die hard wargamers and casual wargamers alike. War in the East2 is also going forward, and we feel it will be an improvement over both WitE1 and WitW. At the moment we can move both projects forward. At some point we may find that one will be delayed by needed work on the other, but we're trying to keep that interruption to a minimum. We are mostly limited by the fact that at the moment we have 2 core programmers (not counting Matrix support, which is a major plus on Steel), one of whom is part time, and these are big projects.

Of course both of these games also depend on a legion of dedicated hobbyists that provide the data that drives the games. This is where the Matrix forums and community have helped us over the years find those talented individuals that enjoy working on these projects. As far as I'm concerned David Heath did the wargame industry a big service when he started Matrix and began building this community. I thank him for that, and with luck this community will continue to grow.

And a WitP-2? Has there ever been a wargame with such a dedicated fan base? Maybe it wasn't as commercially successful? I never got far into it but it seems like it is a very active forum especially considering when it was released.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 95
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/1/2016 3:28:21 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

You just know he's got a Busch Beer under that cooler. I see he splurged and bought bottles with grandma's chore money.

EDIT: A reply to a vanished post above mine

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 6/2/2016 2:27:21 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 96
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/1/2016 4:31:19 AM   
gradenko2k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
And a WitP-2? Has there ever been a wargame with such a dedicated fan base? Maybe it wasn't as commercially successful? I never got far into it but it seems like it is a very active forum especially considering when it was released.

I don't mean this as any sort of slight against the actual game itself, but I would venture that a significant part of the appeal of a game like War in the Pacific is the fact that it exists at all.

Most other genres and subgenres within the computer gaming space have multiple incarnations capturing different points along whatever spectrum the genre defines itself across, but when you get to "World War 2 in the Pacific at the Strategic Level", there aren't really a lot of pickings.

I mean, even War in the East has competition in the form of Unity of Command and Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa (and Operational Art of War, and Panzer Corps to a degree, and Wasteland Interactive's offerings, so on and so forth).

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 97
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/1/2016 11:18:02 AM   
IainMcNeil

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Its not about layout its about the engine it runs off (Moving everything to phpBB). Layout may be adjusted at some point because the number of games is so big that finding things is an increasing problem especially for new users. We're not sure what the solution is right now but maybe some kind of custom view that lets you set the forum up the way you like. That's a longer term plan though! We'll bounce some ideas around when we get to that point.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 98
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/1/2016 8:57:24 PM   
76mm

quote:

Its not about layout its about the engine it runs off (Moving everything to phpBB). Layout may be adjusted at some point because the number of games is so big that finding things is an increasing problem especially for new users. We're not sure what the solution is right now but maybe some kind of custom view that lets you set the forum up the way you like.

I agree that it is increasingly difficult to track the handful of games I'm interested in among the dozens of Matrix releases; I'm using your "favorites" forums to show me only the games I'm tracking but am very frustrated that that means I'm I'm bombarded every day with e-mails about every new thread that opens on those forums--I don't want the e-mails, but only to be able to look at the game I'm interested in instead of scrolling through dozens of games. Why not separate the "favorite forums" forums function from the notifications?

I mentioned this in an e-mail to one of your tech people and he responded that the e-mails "were the whole point of subscribing to forums..." Uh, not really...

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/1/2016 9:58:08 PM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 99
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/1/2016 9:36:00 PM   
wodin

Check your Six, Chain of Command and GG Steel Tigers are all future games I'm really looking forward to and hope to review on my blog. However I'm surprised they don't have a forum yet. The coming soon forums are looking abit thin on the ground at the moment.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 100
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/1/2016 10:00:15 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Check your Six, Chain of Command and GG Steel Tigers are all future games I'm really looking forward to and hope to review on my blog. However I'm surprised they don't have a forum yet. The coming soon forums are looking abit thin on the ground at the moment.

+1. Indeed, I'm a regular visitor to this forum and have never heard of Check Your Six or Chain of Command. And the "Under Development" forum is also very underpopulated, including with TOAW IV (which used to be "Coming Soon") and Combined Arms, which has been there for what, ten years?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 6/1/2016 10:02:39 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 101
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/2/2016 12:22:44 AM   
jack54

I don't say it's dying but it certainly is changing.... I'm re-evaluating my purchasing habits. I've always wanted the shinny new thing but with a few new items the beta patches were 'Steam' only... so two months and I'm not playing. I don't blame anyone it may make perfect sense but I worry it could be the handwriting on the wall.

Yet IMHO Several developers continue excellent beta support here on matrix and I feel confident, 'almost' obligated, with a day one purchase ... they've earned it in my book.

Oh one of the good changes over the years.... remember 'download insurance'.

< Message edited by jack54 -- 6/2/2016 12:29:02 AM >

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 102
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/2/2016 12:45:33 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

quote:

My perception as a long time developer of serious wargames is that Matrix is alive and well. The combining of Matrix and Slitherine has led to what was hoped, a place producing many different kinds of games, where they can continue to build a market for all kinds of generally more serious strategy games. Slitherine has a better developed marketing department, while the core management of the combined company includes people that like and play serious wargames and more playable strategy/war games. Keeping this going, growing, and paying the bills is not an easy thing to do, but so far Slitherine/Matrix seem to be making as good an attempt at it as anyone. Things can always change, but from my viewpoint, it's so far so good.

Wow, I received a very long and nice reply from Joel. Thank you. I am glad you confirmed a WITE2 again. It will be a must buy. Steel Tigers, I'll keep my eye on. I had Steel Panthers, but it just did not hold me as well as some of the others seem to have been held, but that may be because I didn't understand it as well as they did.

I also learned that the most recent patch on WITE had new units? Nice for an old game to still be getting patches like that.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 103
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/2/2016 10:25:52 AM   
IainMcNeil

We are a bit behind on the coming soon and in development forums. The way the press has changed means we need to be careful about talking about things too soon. We need proper assets and logos and box art before we can talk about them and this often happens late in the day for our type of games. We cant release alpha screens as these get posted as final by press and never updated so we have to be sure anything we releases is close to final quality which tends to be near release. We've also announced some games too early and suffered a lot of negative feedback from the community as a result when development takes much longer than expected so are wary of announcing too soon.

We have over 30 titles in development (not including DLC's, new platforms etc) of which you probably only know about a handful. Of these I'd estimate half of of interest to the more hardcore and wargame Matrix audience and half the more strategy game Slitherine audience. Development times are around 2 years but obviously some take longer than others. The rest we will announce as soon as we can but the world we live in requires us to have all our eggs in a row before we do. We'd love to be able to tell you everything that's going on!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 104
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/2/2016 1:48:18 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Can you tell us (besides Steel Tigers) are there any "tactical" games in the works similar to maybe Panzer Command?

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 105
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/2/2016 1:56:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

There is already a WitP 2: WitP AE or admiral's edition. Released in 2009. The original had been released in 2004. Not an expansion, a truly new game with many new features absent in the original game.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 106
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/2/2016 11:47:13 PM   
operating

quote:

quote:

Its not about layout its about the engine it runs off (Moving everything to phpBB). Layout may be adjusted at some point because the number of games is so big that finding things is an increasing problem especially for new users. We're not sure what the solution is right now but maybe some kind of custom view that lets you set the forum up the way you like. That's a longer term plan though! We'll bounce some ideas around when we get to that point.

Iain,

Honestly, I do agree with Warspite a 100%. Have done numerous postings here which included full-size screenshots, ect.. which worked like a charm, can't say the same about the Slitherine forum, which requires resizing for just about everything (a PITA). Also, I have to say: The avatars here give this forum a lot more personality overall vs the generic meaningless commercial avatars used at the Slitherine forums...

IMO, Operating

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 107
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/4/2016 1:07:08 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

quote:

quote:

Iain,

Honestly, I do agree with Warspite a 100%. Have done numerous postings here which included full-size screenshots, ect.. which worked like a charm, can't say the same about the Slitherine forum, which requires resizing for just about everything (a PITA). Also, I have to say: The avatars here give this forum a lot more personality overall vs the generic meaningless commercial avatars used at the Slitherine forums...

IMO, Operating

Well said. By the way, have you ever eaten at Rino's on Saratoga Street? Excellent.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 108
RE: Is Matrix dying? - 6/4/2016 11:11:10 PM   
operating

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

quote:

quote:

Iain,

IMO, Operating

Well said. By the way, have you ever eaten at Rino's on Saratoga Street? Excellent.

East Boston is loaded with Italian restaurants, The North End is also a mecca for Italian food, it's the place to be during the Saint Anthony's festival. To answer you question: I'm not familiar with Rino's, however you did get me to look it up.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 109
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is Matrix dying? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI