Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modding Tool

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modding Tool Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modding Tool - 5/9/2016 10:10:12 AM   
Drybreeze

Oh excellent I look forward to trying your updated version that only outputs files I've edited.

Yes, good feedback is critical, and your tool is well refined enough, useful enough, as well as clearly a lot of work on your behalf, and so deserves the respect of at least providing feedback on it. I'm very glad to help.

Below I've included some information that might help.

quote:

#1:
' Missing comma at the end of ninth resource - I made no changes to resource.txt during this session.
Could not read Abundance Maximum in Prevalence #9 at line 29 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\resources.txt

5, Concrete, 5, 0.5, 0, 0, N, Y, 1.0, 0, 0, 0, 0.1, 0.3, 1.0, 0, 1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.7, 0, 2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.6, 0, 3, 0.2, 0.5, 1.0, 0, 4, 0.1, 0.1, 0.3, 0, 5, 0.1, 0.1, 0.5, 0, 6, 0.2, 0.3, 0.9, 0, 9, 0.8, 0.3, 1, 1, 6, 0.5, 0.2, 0.8

#2:
' Missing comma at the end of ninth resource
Could not read Abundance Maximum in Prevalence #9 at line 30 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\resources.txt

6, Hydrocarbons, 6, 1.5, 0, 0, N, Y, 0.6, 0, 0, 0, 0.1, 0.1, 0.5, 0, 1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.8, 0, 2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.6, 0, 3, 0.1, 0.3, 0.8, 0, 4, 0.1, 0.3, 0.8, 0, 7, 0.5, 0.1, 0.9, 0, 8, 0.5, 0.1, 0.9, 0, 10, 1.0, 0.3, 0.8, 0, 12, 0.8, 0.2, 0.8

#3:
8, Steel, 8, 2.0, 0, 0, N, Y, 0.3, 0, 0, 0, 0.2, 0.1, 0.7, 0, 1, 0.2, 0.1, 0.7, 0, 2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.5, 0, 3, 0.3, 0.1, 0.7, 0, 4, 0.1, 0.1, 0.3, 0, 5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.9, 0, 6, 0.2, 0.2, 0.6, 0, 9, 0.1, 0.1, 0.3, 1, 6, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2
Could not read Abundance Maximum in Prevalence #9 at line 32 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\resources.txt

#4:
Could not read Abundance Maximum in Prevalence #9 at line 38 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\resources.txt
14, Silicon, 14, 1.5, 0, 0, N, Y, 0.3, 0, 0, 0, 0.1, 0.3, 0.8, 0, 1, 0.1, 0.4, 0.6, 0, 2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.6, 0, 3, 0.5, 0.4, 1.0, 0, 4, 0.1, 0.1, 0.4, 0, 5, 0.1, 0.1, 0.9, 0, 6, 0.8, 0.4, 1, 0, 9, 0.2, 0.1, 0.3, 1, 6, 0.5, 0.2, 0.8

#5 [and potentially others]:
' I haven't started editing races, but your editing tool keeps adjusting this file somehow. I haven't looked into how, and it's entirely possible there are others also... I simply copy the old un-edited file over the one your tool writes each time.
Error at line 98 reading file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\races\benzite.txt

#6:
' This is a tech that I have adjusted (from a pre-existing tech) with your tool. When I open "Component Improvements" button on your editor it shows a value under the tech level which reflects the project tech level. I can clear it and it remains cleared in the editor if I come back to it later... I haven't confirmed yet whether clearning it remains cleared on output of the file.
Could not read TechLevel at line 87 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research.txt

PROJECT ;2, Magnetic Encapsulation, 5, 1, 0, 19, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENTS ;4
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;5, ' < LINE 87
PARENTS ;9, Y, 16, Y, 92, Y, 39, Y

#7:
' Another resource that I edited this session
Could not read TechLevel at line 125 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research.txt

PROJECT ;12, Intense Ion Generation, 0, 7, 0, 21, 1, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;0, ' < LINE 125
PARENTS ;N, N

#8:
' A reference to the two "N's" at the end of line 125 above (it was 126 but after deleting the "COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;0," line it of course moves up to take it's place as line #125
Could not read ParentResearchProjectId at line 125 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research.txt
' Yes I'm aware the project appears to have no purpose since it has no new components OR component improvements... this is intentional and neither the game nor the editor seems to mind.

PROJECT ;12, Intense Ion Generation, 0, 7, 0, 21, 1, 0.0,
PARENTS ;N, ' < NEW LINE 125

#9:
' I'm pretty sure I didn't actually open, view, or in any way edit this project this session... but not 100% sure.
Could not read TechLevel at line 127 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research.txt

PROJECT ;13, BLANK PROJECT 13, 0, 3, 0, 19, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;0, ' < LINE 127'
PARENTS ;0, N

#10:
' An entry I edited this session
Could not read TechLevel at line 134 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research.txt

PROJECT ;15, Ion Weapons, 2, 7, 0, 21, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENTS ;15
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;2, ' < LINE 134
PARENTS ;1, Y, 12, Y

#11:
' And so on. The common denominator here is that they appear to be only entries that I've actually edited that session. It looks as though when I open an entry to begin editing it, that it automatically transfers the tech-level already assigned to the project to the tech-level field for COMPONENT IMPROVEMENT for that project, without putting any other variables in any other fields. It allows me to "CLEAR IMPROVEMENTS" and appears to retain this instruction - yet to be confirmed whether it outputs it to file or not if I click "clear imrprovements" button. Hope that helps.
Could not read TechLevel at line 157 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research.txt
PROJECT ;21, Massive Ion Weapons, 5, 9, 0, 21, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;5, < LINE 157
FACILITY ;3
PARENTS ;19, N

#12:
' Another project I edited this session. I suspect this is one that I clicked "clear improvement button on", so it saves a space, not a number... It'd be nicer if it didn't write the entire line, since I just have to edit it out of the TXT file for the game to function.
Could not read ComponentId at line 355 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research

PROJECT ;71, Fusion Physics, 3, 1, 1, 13, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENTS ;54
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;, < LINE 355
PARENTS ;74, N

#13:
' Another project I edited this session. Pretty sure this is another one I clicked on the "Clear Improvement" button.
Could not read ComponentId at line 367 of file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization\EXPERIMENTAL Sea Of Stars\research

PROJECT ;74, Refined Nuclear Fission, 1, 2, 1, 13, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENTS ;53
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;,
PARENTS ;359, N

NO MORE ERRORS.

Also I have attached the file that I've been editing... obviously it's a work in progress, so there's some obvious holes in it... but it might help you perhaps. It's a modified version of the Picard Era Mod research.txt. I will continue to modify it until it is entirely original... ehsumrell1's mod is brilliant and is in no danger of having me use any of it for my own mod's benefit... I'm just using it as a "working base file" since if I try to create one from blank the game crashes... no doubt because it requires critical research projects to enable key components that are used in the first ships and bases, or something similar. I hope this is cool with you ehsumrell1?

Hope that helps somewhat, Sabranan.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 61
RE: Modding Tool - 5/9/2016 4:25:19 PM   
ehsumrell1

No problem at all Drybreeze...march onward!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 62
RE: Modding Tool - 5/9/2016 8:37:48 PM   
Sabranan

I think the issue with comma’s in the resources file is fixed in revision 3, and the issue with Component Improvement lines is fixed in revision 4 (you were quite right, and old bit of code was automatically giving the tech level in component improvement the same as the research project).

#5:
I might ask you to get back to me on this one, if it outputs races it should output all of them so they’d all be changed. Line 98 would be the CharacterRandomAppearanceChanceLeader line, but I can’t see anything wrong with it.

#8:
This seems to happen if you tick and then untick the obligatory checkboxes, even if you don’t set a parent project. I’ve sorted that, so now if no parent project is selected it’ll store the value as nothing instead of an “N” and that should prevent it from writing the line at all.

It also brought up another little issue which is that there was no way to clear a research project parent once it had been set, so I’ve implemented that too with 4 buttons under the parent project dropdown boxes.

I’ve just published revision 4, so hopefully once you’re on it you’ll see those problems disappear!

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 63
RE: Modding Tool - 5/10/2016 9:01:26 AM   
Drybreeze

Perhaps I'm a bit slow or something... it says your first post message was last edited 06/05/16, while your message above is 09/05/16, and if I click on the attachment it downloads a new instance of the version I am currently using and posted about...?

What am I missing?
Where is revision 4 that you published...?

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 64
RE: Modding Tool - 5/10/2016 5:41:24 PM   
Sabranan

I haven’t generally posted revisions because of the sheer number of them, but when you run the tool if there’s a newer version you should be getting a message like this:

Which would then download revision 4 (or whatever the latest update is) off my NAS.

Of course that would depend on you having internet access at the time and your firewall not blocking it or anything.

In case it’s not something obvious I’ve updated the OP with revision 4 just to make sure you can actually get it.

[edit: Attachment Removed as obsolete]

< Message edited by Sabranan -- 3/6/2017 11:08:06 PM >

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 65
RE: Modding Tool - 5/11/2016 1:28:14 AM   
Sabranan

Revision 5 of 0.1.3 finally brings some progress on what 0.1.3.x was originally going to be all about, the Dialogue form!

Be aware that if you load a mod that doesn’t use its own dialogues, it’ll load the files from the root folder instead. Normally this isn’t an issue, but in this case there’s a couple things wrong with those files. The Ketarov have 4 invalid variables (maybe used in older DW versions?) and the Mortalen have 3 lines which are split onto new lines, so you’ll lose the second half of those messages by outputting dialogues.

Those minor issues probably affect a whole bunch of mods that have copied those files as a basis for their own.

As for the form itself, there are two buttons which will automatically put the variables {0} or {1} into your dialogue messages. Of course you can just write them in manually if you prefer.

New lines are represented by actual new lines, and converted into “\n” on the fly so it appears properly in the actual text files when you output. That makes it a fair bit more pleasant to write long messages!

The clear content button will wipe the entire message, as will simply deleting all the text in the content textbox. Leaving it in this state will prevent that particular line from being written to the file.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 66
RE: Modding Tool - 5/11/2016 8:41:35 AM   
Drybreeze

haha "revision for Drybreeze"... uh... thx.

As it turns out when I run the previous version it simply loads and works... no screen like your screenshot. :/

Downloaded, installed fine. Thanks a big fat bunch! I'll letcha know how it goes.

EDIT > Seems to work really well. Nicely done!
One bit of feedback for improvement is that races under sub-folder section opens up a HUGE window that fills more than my screen (on current resolution settings), which results in having to pan across to select a race, then pan back to SEE the race list, and the only way to go through them to select the one you want is with the arrow keys... then pan back to the right again to hit MAIN MENU button.

Seems like there's a lot of white space in it that could be crunched up a bit to prevent this from happening.

Apart from that it all seems to work brilliantly, and is making the job of editing components, resources, and research a snap. Thanks again!

< Message edited by Drybreeze -- 5/11/2016 10:47:49 AM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 67
RE: Modding Tool - 5/11/2016 10:25:02 AM   
Remigius

From reading, this should make modding, especially the research file, much more bearable.
Still I would like to know, if i edit a file of a mod, I would corrupt any savegames from that mod, correct?
When editing a component in the research file, is there any way, to see the corresponding upgrades, or automaticly make their values at least as big as the parent project? It should be quite helpfull, if the programm would direct me to the researches which upgrade values of the parent project, after I changed something there.

edit: just tried to link the tool to the steam/...dwu/customization/mod folder, but got an error message back.

< Message edited by Remigius -- 5/11/2016 10:51:55 AM >

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 68
RE: Modding Tool - 5/11/2016 9:10:31 PM   
Sabranan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drybreeze
As it turns out when I run the previous version it simply loads and works... no screen like your screenshot. :/

Huh, that is unfortunate but it must be down to it not being able to connect to my NAS. Try hitting this link (it won't download anything).

If it's working properly you should see a standard HTTP share with 1 sub-folder and 4 root files. That's where the tool tries to look up to see if there's any updates. The link works from a web proxy so I know it's not just working on my own network.

If you can see it in a web browser, then it's gotta be the tool being restricted in some way from accessing the internet.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drybreeze
EDIT > Seems to work really well. Nicely done!
One bit of feedback for improvement is that races under sub-folder section opens up a HUGE window that fills more than my screen (on current resolution settings), which results in having to pan across to select a race, then pan back to SEE the race list, and the only way to go through them to select the one you want is with the arrow keys... then pan back to the right again to hit MAIN MENU button.

Seems like there's a lot of white space in it that could be crunched up a bit to prevent this from happening.

Apart from that it all seems to work brilliantly, and is making the job of editing components, resources, and research a snap. Thanks again!

Yeah I've been thinking about the size issue, I designed it on a 1080p screen and the races and policies forms in particular look quite big even on that. When I do my second pass on them I'll give squishing things together a bit more tightly a go, even if I can get it looking good on 720p I'll be fairly happy with that.

Alternatively I could go the route of the Dialogues form and have the user select which variable they want to edit from a drop-down box, which works but does require more clicks per change they want to make.

Or I suppose I could do both and just have which one the user wants to use as a setting, or even have it read the screen resolution on run and automatically apply the appropriate view...

Well for now it can wait until 0.2 when I start my second pass over the forms.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Remigius

From reading, this should make modding, especially the research file, much more bearable.
Still I would like to know, if i edit a file of a mod, I would corrupt any savegames from that mod, correct?

Depends on how big a change you make, but yes, any changes you make would apply to any savegames using that mod. If it's something small you'll likely get away with it (for example, changing a race bias towards another race might alter their relationship, but probably won't completely screw up the game), but bigger changes can defo have unforeseen effects.

Bottom line is if you're changing anything more than trivial it's best to start a new game to experiment with it.

quote:

When editing a component in the research file, is there any way, to see the corresponding upgrades, or automaticly make their values at least as big as the parent project? It should be quite helpfull, if the programm would direct me to the researches which upgrade values of the parent project, after I changed something there.

Not yet, but I don't see why I couldn't implement something like that once I get to 0.2. It's a good idea.

quote:

edit: just tried to link the tool to the steam/...dwu/customization/mod folder, but got an error message back.

I'll need to know the content of said error message before I can tell you why that happened!

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 69
RE: Modding Tool - 5/11/2016 10:41:43 PM   
Shogouki

I can't wait to use this thing. Keep up the amazing work!

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 70
RE: Modding Tool - 5/12/2016 2:07:37 AM   
Sabranan

And now comes 0.1.4, with the Dialogue form done. I figured it might be easier if people had a decent reference to what the {0} and {1} mean for each variable they're used in, so I've gone ahead and built that into the form. Other than that just a couple minor bug fixes and that's 0.1.4.

OP updated.

Next up is the last of the main forms, the Design Templates form. Looking at it this shouldn't be too difficult, each file is literally a list of components with integer numbers next to them, with one optional variable to choose any scaling. The bigger challenge will be working with the folder structure, which is a little different to the rest of the sub-folders.

Once 0.1.5 is out, that'll be core functionality done and dusted!

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 71
RE: Modding Tool - 5/12/2016 8:25:23 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

Sabranan is a Genius..

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 72
RE: Modding Tool - 5/13/2016 1:38:59 AM   
Capshades

Woooo, excited!

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 73
RE: Modding Tool - 5/13/2016 1:47:59 AM   
Sabranan

Aww thanks guys!

I've just published revision 1 of 0.1.4, so you can see how the Design Templates form is coming along.

Right now it only loads core races, not pirates. And it can't output changes.

That said the core data loads in pretty well, error checks nicely and the form itself is pretty simple, there's just not that much to any given Design Templates file.

I'm aware that it's missing optional tactics and image scaling settings, so don't worry I'm going to be including them too!

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 74
RE: Modding Tool - 5/14/2016 9:32:27 AM   
Drybreeze

I'm looking forward to the Design Templates changes being able to be implemented... very useful.

Thank you so much for all your hard work on this tool, it's really extremely useful!

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 75
RE: Modding Tool - 5/15/2016 5:17:49 AM   
Sabranan

Design Templates is, I think, fully working in Revision 2 of 0.1.4 which I've just published. I've managed to make it work with pirate races and the optional values. It also outputs now.

Still some debugging to do before I publish 0.1.5 and call it done, but it's working pretty well right now!

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 76
RE: Modding Tool - 5/15/2016 6:00:20 AM   
Drybreeze

Awesome stuff! Works well, although it would be nicer if it was a vertical list of all components (like the txt file), rather than having to scroll through them one at a time, in my opinion.

One other bit of improvement that I would recommend: the ability to ADD (and perhaps even delete) entries at all TXT files, rather than just editing existing ones. At the moment if I want a new resource, component, or facility, I must still go to the original TXT file that your tool edits, create a new entry manually (cut and paste works fine), and then go back into your tool and reload the whole thing, in order to access the new line(s) I've added.

> More feedback:
When editing ship designs, for some reason sometimes the field "Value" vanishes. It seems to be when using arrow keys to scroll BACKWARDS (back towards top) through variables shown in "Variable" field. It can be fixed simply by jumping out of the ship/base currently selected in the "Ship/Base Type" popdown menu, and then re-selecting the original one. An easy work-around but still I thought I'd provide the feedback. Not being a programmer I can't give any more specific suggestion about what might be causing it. The entire popdown "Value" field simply vanishes. Just grey background.

> Still more feedback:
When editing research.txt the tool is still creating entries that must be edited out of the TXT manually, for example:

PROJECT ;37, Entangled String Injection, 7, 18, 0, 25, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENTS ;10
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;, , , , , , , ,
PARENTS ;36, N

PROJECT ;47, BLANK PROJECT 47, 0, 27, 0, 25, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;, , , , , , , ,   <---- THIS SHOULDNT BE THERE
PARENTS ;N   <---- THIS SHOULDNT BE THERE

PROJECT ;53, BLANK PROJECT 53, 0, 24, 0, 22, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;, , , , , , , ,   <---- THIS SHOULDNT BE THERE
PARENTS ;N   <---- THIS SHOULDNT BE THERE

I edited a LOT of entries this session, so it worked really well except these three. Pretty sure these three are ones that I clicked on the "clear improvement" button under "improvements"... as in - the original entry had this project as an improving research entry, and I changed it to blank this out - either to swap it for a component enable entry, or as in the last two I have blanked over the project in preparation for using the entry for another project instead.

> Feedback en masse:
About the only thing that your tool does not currently have which I'm using a lot in other applications (like notepad) is a "search" feature. For example if I want to find some resource named "Boronic Nimrods" then I can search that, find the entry number it is, and then go to that entry number in your editor tool, and edit it there (since it's FAR easier than highlighting and changing values manually and making sure you go the right field changed. And exporting from a spreadsheet doesn't seem a whole bunch easier.

Dunno how hard to add a search feature where you can search strings in the TXT files your tool edits is to implement, but it'd make all your editing zones SO much easier to manage. That and adding/deleting entries. Those things need to be done externally while your tool only edits what is already there in the TXT files.

An unexpected bonus to the usefullness of your editor tool is I'm finding that I am referring to it to tell me the cost of componets when I'm looking at stuff in the research tree of the game itself. The game doesn't have this information at hand, and so when I am selecting the paths for the research to follow in the research menu in-game it is extremely useful to know for example what colony-manufactured resources might be required for that tech option for the new fancy-ass hyperdrive.

< Message edited by Drybreeze -- 5/16/2016 11:19:47 AM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 77
RE: Modding Tool - 5/19/2016 3:29:50 AM   
Drybreeze

Feedback 'R Us:

While editing some hyperdrive techs in research.txt it kept changing fuel back from the highest resource component number fuel back to randoms, such as resource #0 (aluminium, not designated a fuel) and #3 (food stuffs, also not designated a fuel). When I would re-load it in your tool it said it was #38 "Nano-escapsulated fuel" which is designated a fuel but isn't yet assigned to any reactors. At the same time looking at the entries in research.txt it still showed the corresponding variable to be #0 and #3 (we're looking at two entries here).

Took me awhile to figure out what was going on but what I think is happening is that your tool is only providing me with designated fuels to choose from for this variable, and when it sees a variable that does not correspond to a designated fuel, it shows the highest numbered designated fuel in the field. When I change it to whatever I want in the tool, it doesn't out put it over that variable in the TXT file. So in other words, if the variable for fuel-type of a reactor in the TXT file does not already correspond to a designated fuel type that your tool recognises, it simply ignores anything I tell it to do with that variable. I have edited the TXT file manually and now your tool shows the correct fuel type in the field, AND allows me to change and output it. HTH.

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 78
RE: Modding Tool - 5/19/2016 10:55:48 AM   
Sabranan

Value field vanishing:

This was because there's actually two value fields in the same location, a drop-down box and a textbox. Which one is used depends on which variable is being edited, and the other one is made invisible. If you go from one that uses a drop-down box (so textbox being invisible) to a textbox it wasn't setting the textbox back to visible. Sorted now.

Extra Component Improvements & Parents lines:

I've managed to reproduce and correct the component improvement issue, I think that was caused because when you pressed the clear improvement button it set the value to "" instead of explicitly nothing, prompting the tool to output blank lines (since blank values are sometimes valid in DW).

The extra parent line was caused by basically the same problem, it set the Project ID to a nothing value but not the Y/N. Should be working right now.

Search & Add/Delete:

This is something that will get implemented, just not yet. I'm planning on doing this during my second pass over the forms for 0.2.2.

Fuel Issue:

This one was just missing code to pull the proper value out of the dropdown box, it should find the correct Fuel ID now. If you load up something that isn't a fuel it'll just show a blank value so you know you need to set it. I'm surprised it managed to ever get the Fuel ID right to be honest!

0.1.4 revision 3 contains these latest fixes and is now published.

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 79
RE: Modding Tool - 5/19/2016 11:44:06 AM   
Drybreeze

Your dedication, professionalism, and skill in creating this tool do you a real justice.
I can't speak for other people of course, but from my perspective at least, this tool and your work behind it has been invaluable.

Thank you very much for your hard work.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 80
RE: Modding Tool - 5/21/2016 2:22:21 PM   
Sabranan

Thank you for your kind words, not to mention your top-notch feedback Drybreeze!

I've spent a decent amount of time debugging the Dialogue Templates form now, and I can't find anything else wrong with it. It does output blank files if they didn't exist in the first place, but this isn't really a bad thing. It saves you creating the file yourself if you want to create more templates for that folder and it doesn’t seem to bother the DW engine to have blank files here.

When I go through the second pass I’ll look into seeing how big the form would have to be to change it so it just displays all the variables at the same time. I’ll likely do the opposite for the Races and Policies forms, as it is they’re just too big.

But that can wait. For now, we’re at 0.1.5 and I can declare core functionality done! Everything works, it’s now just a matter of implementing ease of use features and making it all look pretty.

For 0.1.6 I’ll be looking at linking in the picture references various forms that use them. Right now it’s just a number that relates to a file somewhere, I’d like to have it so it actually shows the picture and upon clicking it it should give you the option to choose a new one, which it would then save to your mod folder when you output.

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 81
RE: Modding Tool - 5/21/2016 6:49:44 PM   
Pymous

I just logged in to say a big Bravo! and thank you for such tool!
Please continue to improve it!
Thank you again!

[Mod]Shadow Stratagems Artpack for Shadow Empire game.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 82
RE: Modding Tool - 5/22/2016 8:30:20 AM   
soulstenance

This looks pretty cool! Good work, perhaps I'll try it out.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 83
RE: Modding Tool - 5/23/2016 8:25:46 AM   
Drybreeze

Hi Sabranan,

Thank you for helping me with the issue I had.

I'm having another, I don't think it's related...?

I have edited a design template and gone to export the files... actually the first time I edited basically ALL of them... aw well.
So I noticed the design template folder was empty except for the Shakturi folder. It had given me an exception error while exporting the files, and I'd selected "continue".

I recovered the folders from a backup (I'm a backup nut), and tried again.

Second time around I edited just one design, and watched the folder as I exported. Same unhandled exception error came up and sure enough all folders vanished from the design templates folder, except Shakturi.

I was going to post the error below but it occurred to me that maybe it would represent a security issue to either your program or my computer if I posted it, so I've PM'd it to you.

I haven't tested to see if it is the same on anything other than design templates yet.

(in reply to soulstenance)
Post #: 84
RE: Modding Tool - 5/23/2016 5:56:21 PM   
Sabranan

Hi mate, I've seen this problem before and it's quite simple to solve!

When my tool writes to a subfolder it copies the subfolder into a backup (if it hasn't made one already), then deletes the original before it outputs. That way you've got a backup and the tool has a clean location to write to.

The problem is the "vssver2.scc" file is flagged as a hidden & system file. My tool doesn’t try to invoke admin rights, so it can’t delete them and throws that exception.

You’ll probably find the "vssver2.scc" file under the Shakturi folder since that’s where it stopped deleting, but you might well find it in other places too, it seems to be a leftover file from when they compiled DW (it’s a Visual Studio Source Control file, not needed for the game).

You can safely delete any "vssver2.scc" file you find under your DW installation and doing so should make that error go away.

< Message edited by Sabranan -- 5/23/2016 5:59:26 PM >

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 85
RE: Modding Tool - 5/24/2016 6:40:32 PM   
Pymous

I can't wait updates :)
Guys, this tool is just too awesome. Maybe you are going to start a new age of DW modding :)

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 86
RE: Modding Tool - 5/26/2016 1:38:49 PM   
Drybreeze

The file keeps appearing in random folders.

Since I'm using yer tool to edit designs while in-game studying designs that work... well it deletes all I've done before hand and I'm back to square 1 each time.

I'll do a search each time prior to outputting and delete the file.

> EDIT: The most effective work-around is to manually delete all folders in the Design Templates folder immediately prior to outputting files from your tool. Works a treat. Keep backups, of course...

< Message edited by Drybreeze -- 5/27/2016 11:44:42 AM >

(in reply to Pymous)
Post #: 87
RE: Modding Tool - 5/28/2016 11:04:17 PM   
Sabranan

So I realised that since those files are included in the default DW installation most likely everyone running the tool will have them, and I'd need to be able to handle it because not everyone will know how to clear those files or feel comfortable doing so.

After bashing my head against a wall for a few days trying to make a ClickOnce app get elevated permissions on command (or at all) so it would have admin permission to delete what it needed to, it occurred to me that file attributes can be changed on command if you have permission to write to the file...

Which of course you do, because DW automatically grants it for the customization folder.

So I thought maybe I could recursively go through all the files in the mod folder and strip any unusual attributes from each one, and if I do that before doing any writing or deleting, it should work nicely.

No doubt it will be difficult, and require some research...

Yeah, someone else has already done it.

6 lines of code later and revision 1 is published. It should now standardize all file attributes in your mod folder before trying to do anything else, which hopefully will sort this issue out forever and even deal with the same problem showing up if you copied a protected file into your mod folder for some reason.

Also includes a minor bugfix to Design Templates, it wasn't clearing the optional values properly when pressing the "Clear Variable" button. Now it does.

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 88
RE: Modding Tool - 5/29/2016 10:10:40 PM   
LordMM

OH hell, great job !!!

Ill try to get to work on this thing :D

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 89
RE: Modding Tool - 6/1/2016 9:08:38 PM   
Shogouki

Wonderful work Sabranan!

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modding Tool Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI