Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ground Bombardment only

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Ground Bombardment only Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 11:23:53 AM   
Balou

It's a request from my artillery commanders: why is there no such thing in WitE ? They would love to shell the enemy from time to time, eg prior to an attack to soften up defences, or to keep his fatigue/disruption high or morale low, blowing up supply/fuel dumps etc. And I don't want to always send aircraft to do the job. If I remember correctly, one could do ground bombardment in WiR.
(please don't tell me there is a button somewhere in WitE )
Post #: 1
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 1:25:32 PM   
Manstein63

AFAIK you can bombard with artillery from up to 2 hexes away so for a hasty attack you pick the hex that the artillery unit is in & the target hex you should then get the attack symbol & just execute as you would a normal hasty attack. For deliberate you would choose all the hexes that were in range (you might need to remove from the attack any other ground units that might get attached) you should get the deliberate attack symbol & again execute the attack as you would normally.
hope this is of some use
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 2
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 1:31:42 PM   
morvael

This requires on-map artillery units. So this is mostly the domain of mid-to-late war Soviets.

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 3
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 1:34:39 PM   
Balou

Forgot to say I was talking about Axis artillery.
But thanks.

< Message edited by Balou -- 6/9/2016 1:37:23 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 4
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 1:38:25 PM   
morvael

I expected it might be the case. I think some late war scenarios have on-map artillery for Germans, but very little.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 5
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 1:45:54 PM   
Balou

Any reason for it's not 'working' for the Axis ? Will it be changed in WitE 2.0 ?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 6
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 1:55:29 PM   
morvael

Support units have no such ability, as you don't control them directly. And German artillery is represented mostly by multiple small support units. Only more numerous and concentrated Soviet artillery is represented by combat units. Even if German artillery was handled by on-map units they would be too small to have some real impact (like Soviet artillery brigades).

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 7
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 2:11:18 PM   
Manstein63

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

Forgot to say I was talking about Axis artillery.
But thanks.

Apologies as I thought you were talking about on Map Soviet artillery units.
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 8
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 2:16:08 PM   
Balou

Overall more than 20 'Werfer'-brigades were formed during ww2, each one with 100+ launchers (1 Brigade = 2 regiments, each with 3 batallions), which IMHO is a lot of firepower. Is it considered to be too small an independent unit ?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 9
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 2:26:11 PM   
morvael

These should be present in late war scenarios, don't know how it is for games started in 1941.

Soviet divisions have up to 400 pieces, and there is a lot of them. And they have proper guns, not only rocket launchers. I don't think adding those units to damage or destroy 10-20 men per attack would help much the Germans, would result in more micromanagement for minor gain. And you don't want those units to fill stack limits of your second line of defense in 1944, as they are useless defensively. The Germans didn't operate their artillery like the Soviets did (because they had several times less tubes and never enough ammo). I think this handling of artillery, different for both sides, is justified from gaming perspective and doctrine perspective. However it would be great to see artillery as multirole support units in WitE2, so that they could operate as 1 bigger on-map unit or 3 smaller support units. And players could choose.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 10
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 2:29:01 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

However it would be great to see artillery as multirole support units in WitE2, so that they could operate as 1 bigger on-map unit or 3 smaller support units. And players could choose.

+1

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 11
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 3:16:37 PM   
Commanderski

quote:

However it would be great to see artillery as multirole support units in WitE2, so that they could operate as 1 bigger on-map unit or 3 smaller support units. And players could choose.

+1

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 12
RE: Ground Bombardment only - 6/9/2016 6:55:30 PM   
Denniss

Many of these Artillery and Rocket Brigades were actually formed from existing support units. Not really easy to properly model them all.

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Ground Bombardment only Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI