Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Gateway to Caen >> GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input - 4/9/2016 3:34:56 PM   
mooxe

There's currently three ways to install mods for GTC.

1. Manually - works with both Steam and Matrix installs
2. Auto-installer - works with Matrix version only
3. Generic Mod Enabler - similar to a modern Config Manager, works with Steam and Matrix

Option 2 is the easiest. We know from experience most computer users will not, can not, or don't know how to navigate file/folder structures. This eliminates the need to really know anything. The mod will install just like an other Windows application but only works with the Matrix downloaded version.

Option 3 works with Steam and Matrix. You have to unzip the JSGME (modern Config Manager) into \Close Combat Gateway to Caen\ folder. Then you unzip the mod into \Close Combat Gateway to Caen\mods folder. Run JSGME.exe to install the mod. Not complicated for anyone who's used config manager before, but complicated enough for many to pass.

The best way to host these mods is to have a singular way to install. Do you have any input?

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
Post #: 1
RE: GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input - 4/10/2016 1:41:43 AM   
mickxe5

Im fine with a manual install but certainly Option 3 from a web host's perspective. I can reverse engineer a manual install later anyway so the files can be tinkered with.

(in reply to mooxe)
Post #: 2
RE: GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input - 6/9/2016 5:31:09 PM   
dago_red

I thought option 1, manual install overwrites original files and/or requires user fiddling to rename folders and make back ups. Any of that is certainly more trouble than option 3. However, I recently had an impossible time even finding a valid download for the JSGME, so that would have to be rectified (I only got it by downloading the small maps mod because it already had it bundled, even though I didn't want small maps).

That easy to use tool (really one screen pic and 2 sentences of explanation should be enough for even candy crush players to grasp) should be hosted as an easy to find download on ALL fansites, and right in here on Matrix's mod forum -- it's no secret that Close Combat games are mod playgrounds and they should support every extra dollar and fan/customer happiness that comes from that.

Option 2 should be ruled out straight away. Steam is going to be the most common way people get these games, like it or not. It makes things easy to group a community around, and the steam workshop (does not apply to this game, but could in future) even provides an easy way to add mods to a game (it's buggy and needs to be used "offline" most of the time, but otherwise works well in theory. It can only improve.)

(in reply to mickxe5)
Post #: 3
RE: GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input - 6/17/2016 6:08:41 PM   
Kanov

You can use the /D switch on steam.

-Right click on game in steam library
-Select proprieties
-Select "Set Launch Options..."
-write /d Your_mod_folder

Remember mod folder must be on main directory in the STEAM install, in my case it is: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Close Combat - Gateway to Caen

Attachment (1)

Hard-core Spectre

(in reply to mooxe)
Post #: 4
RE: GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input - 6/30/2016 4:26:34 PM   
Kanov

forgot to add a step before doing the thing above:

you must rename Autorun.exe to something else and then rename CCE.exe to Autorun.

Autorun launches the start menu of the game that has links to the forums and other things, CCE.exe is the actual game; Steam uses autorun to launch gateway to Caen and not CCE.

Hard-core Spectre

(in reply to Kanov)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Gateway to Caen >> GTC Mod Installation Standard - Need Your Input Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI