Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/9/2016 7:48:06 AM   
Alchenar

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-07-steam-refunds-not-harming-sales-slitherine

Long story short: giving your customers basic consumer rights does not make the sky fall. Bad games get returned more than good games. The return policy is an unequivocal reason to use Steam over other stores.
Post #: 1
RE: Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/9/2016 1:06:57 PM   
wodin

Interesting..thanks for the heads up. Shows that publishers etc can trust their customers:)

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 2
RE: Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/9/2016 2:03:58 PM   
wings7

Very informative! Thanks for sharing!

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/9/2016 3:17:08 PM   
IainMcNeil

Just a note it only works because of Steam's DRM. You can only have a returns policy like this when there is a way to flick a switch and disable a users game at any time for any reason so its swings and roundabouts.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 4
RE: Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/9/2016 5:13:35 PM   
wings7

I think Steam will increase your sales, with 7 to 10 million Steam gamers online at any given time...you can't miss!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 5
RE: Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/10/2016 4:57:02 AM   
Veldor

This is why I only buy from Steam now. Today is actually the first time I returned a game (non-Matrix).
I don't really think anyone can abuse the system since you cannot have played for more than 2 hours total and can only return within 14 days of purchase.
I think Steam might occasionally make an exception to that but any one user won't get many of those.
There is a nice peace of mind in knowing that if you drop $50 on a game and nearly instantly realize it was a huge mistake you can get your money back.
I have a hard time with games with certain types of unfriendly user interfaces and have a type of motion sickness where other swirly 3D camera pans can make me dizzy.
Neither one of those is always readily apparent from available info. That and why spend hours researching a game and still not being fully sure when I can instead spend < 2 hrs just trying it out and know for sure?

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 6
RE: Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/10/2016 2:12:29 PM   
MrsWargamer

Interesting.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 7
RE: Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz - 6/10/2016 3:47:00 PM   
Ranger33

I think the system they have set up is a win-win. As a player you get the equivalent of a demo for any purchase. Great in case you realize your system can't run the game, or if you immediately regret the purchase. I know that I have regretted a few purchases in the past even after doing my due diligence. Sometimes you just have to get your hands on a game to realize that it's not for you.

For the game company, you have an easy system for providing refunds and if people complain you can point to it and say there was your chance.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Slitherine interview on Steam for gamesindustry.biz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI