Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - Ver. 1.11

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - Ver. 1.11 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - Ver. 1.11 - 2/8/2016 5:21:01 PM   
fierceking

quote:

ORIGINAL: vengen

quote:

ORIGINAL: fierceking

I've noticed this issue. This would be a lot of work to fix. I can't promise I can fix this anytime soon. I'll check it though...

OK, thanks - that's why I mentioned "if you have time". I tried changing one file and gave up after a half hour because it was going too slow. My workaround is to delete the character files, but that defeats the whole purpose of custom character portraits. But it's still an excellent mod without them.

I've was screwing around with Excel to see how difficult it would be to fix this. And after applying some rules to the cells, it's not as bad as I thought. I'm fixing the Xflinta character data sheet and I'm around 1/2 done (500 of 1000 fixed). After I fix this one race, I could use this as a template for the other races.

With that template, I could just copy/paste to all the races.

(in reply to vengen)
Post #: 331
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - Ver. 1.11 - 2/8/2016 9:05:04 PM   
pelthunter

Ok finally got it working. For some reason had to wipe all DW files and do full reinstall.

Thanks for great work.

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 332
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - Ver. 1.11 - 2/9/2016 4:19:24 PM   
Unforeseen

Edit: I looked deeper into what id originally posted here about the station and apparentlys its working as intended. I wasnt aware that the stations size scaled with the number of components in it either.

However it still kind of an unfortunate feature in my opinion. The obscenely large stations are an eye sore when they get that big and take away from the immersion of the game. Some of them are so big you cant even see the planet.

The size of the stations also affect gameplay, especially when starting from prewarp with research at 999k. After 33 years i had a fleet of 21 ships at tech level 1-2, the largest in the galaxy. Yet they stood no chance against a medium spaceport with tech level 1 components.

I watched a tech 3-4 pirate cruiser fleet get destroyed nearly as quickly as my own fleet.

Another game effecting factor is that the station costs the AI a significant amount of their annual income. The reason why my fleet was the biggest was because the others could only afford a 3-4 ships tops.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 2/10/2016 2:29:25 AM >

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 333
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/14/2016 12:02:05 PM   
Seraph86

thank you very much for the update :)

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 334
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/14/2016 10:37:18 PM   
Blabsawaw22

right.. but when will this be fixed if at all? I would like to try this.. but I see no point if it still has issues and makes the game still ridden with bugs and maybe adding more!..

(in reply to Seraph86)
Post #: 335
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/14/2016 11:58:52 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

I would like to try this..

Do it. It's huge, and well done. Remember, one person did all this. Is it perfect? The original game isn't either. Try it, it's just a download. Don't like it, delete it.

quote:

The obscenely large stations are an eye sore

Scale them. Problem solved.

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 336
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/15/2016 5:29:01 AM   
Unforeseen

Ok so here's my review sorta. I played about 100 years in a pre warp 999k research game as the humans before i quit.

Overall i really appreciate the amount of work put into this and its a really great template..unfortunately there are some game busters that make it pretty unbalanced.

One is being dealt with already and that is the broken character traits. One suggestion i have aside from the bug is to raise governor and ambassador spawn rates. In 100 years with 21 colonies i saw two govs and two ambassadors. Rest seemed good.

The biggest issue with the mod are the stations and the ai ship designs. The stations break the game. I understand it was meant to make things more challenging but it goes way to far. They are perhaps double or even triple the size that would be acceptable for both player and other AI opponents.

The AI ship designs are generally undersized. Failing to utilize their full space allowance gave me an incredibly ridiculous advantage even against races were technologically superior to me. This may or may have something to do with the cost to maintain their spaceports which takes up a large portion of their income. I noticed that races with more ships had smaller ships and races with fewer ships had larger ones. But never once did those ships reach their cap allowance.

Enhanced hyperdrives costs more research than it is supposed to. The result was that the AI ignored the tech.

Amusingly one of my ship captains had a striking resemblance to my eve online main. I renamed him..then he was murdered when the guardians randomly opened fire on his ship. It may have been drawn by my area weapons.

Other than some obvious serious problems in balance and a research bug this mod is pretty cool. I would prefer a bit slower incremental rise in hyperdrive speeds but thats just me.

I wont be able to play again for a couple weeks but I am looking forward to it. I just hope something can be done about these issues.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 337
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - Ver. 1.12 - 2/17/2016 5:46:14 PM   
fierceking

Updated to version 1.12. Mostly bug fixes so not mandatory.

Goto first page for info and download link

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 338
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/17/2016 5:49:39 PM   
fierceking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Ok so here's my review sorta. I played about 100 years in a pre warp 999k research game as the humans before i quit.

Overall i really appreciate the amount of work put into this and its a really great template..unfortunately there are some game busters that make it pretty unbalanced.

One is being dealt with already and that is the broken character traits. One suggestion i have aside from the bug is to raise governor and ambassador spawn rates. In 100 years with 21 colonies i saw two govs and two ambassadors. Rest seemed good.

The biggest issue with the mod are the stations and the ai ship designs. The stations break the game. I understand it was meant to make things more challenging but it goes way to far. They are perhaps double or even triple the size that would be acceptable for both player and other AI opponents.

The AI ship designs are generally undersized. Failing to utilize their full space allowance gave me an incredibly ridiculous advantage even against races were technologically superior to me. This may or may have something to do with the cost to maintain their spaceports which takes up a large portion of their income. I noticed that races with more ships had smaller ships and races with fewer ships had larger ones. But never once did those ships reach their cap allowance.

Enhanced hyperdrives costs more research than it is supposed to. The result was that the AI ignored the tech.

Amusingly one of my ship captains had a striking resemblance to my eve online main. I renamed him..then he was murdered when the guardians randomly opened fire on his ship. It may have been drawn by my area weapons.

Other than some obvious serious problems in balance and a research bug this mod is pretty cool. I would prefer a bit slower incremental rise in hyperdrive speeds but thats just me.

I wont be able to play again for a couple weeks but I am looking forward to it. I just hope something can be done about these issues.

I'm not changing the mod. Everyone has preferences and opinions. Just like I don't like any of the other mods out there, you don't like this one. That's fine with me.

There are other mods out there that you might like.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 339
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/17/2016 6:00:27 PM   
Retreat1970

Thanks for the update.

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 340
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/17/2016 7:58:30 PM   
Unforeseen

Wo slow your roll pal. I actually like the mod. Just needs work in the balance department. I get what you were trying to do with the space ports. Im just letting you know that in the long run it gimps them rather than strengthens.

Post #: 341
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - ver 1.12 - 2/17/2016 10:14:04 PM   
fierceking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Wo slow your roll pal. I actually like the mod. Just needs work in the balance department. I get what you were trying to do with the space ports. Im just letting you know that in the long run it gimps them rather than strengthens.

I am glad you like the mod but like I said I'm not changing the mod.

You could be right on some of the things you pointed out, although I made some races use smaller ships for a reason. But I have no incentive to make changes anymore. The game is not being updated anymore by the devs so I see no point in adding or improving stuff on this mod.

Bug fixes that are easy to fix, I can do, which I did.

But to balance the size of the ship relative to all the different components is just too much work. Every component and upgrades has differing sizes. I would have to do that to all ships types for all 70 races. Too much work.

The Large spaceport is more of a way for the player to be at par with the AI when playing on Very Hard or Extreme setting. At mid game, even a 150k shield can get ripped to shreds when the AI decides to invade you. On Normal and Hard setting, the player should be able to win, regardless of the size of the spaceport.

So like I said, there are other mods out there you might like if the spaceport sizes bother you...

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 342
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - ver 1.12 - 2/18/2016 7:21:18 AM   
Unforeseen

Thats fine. I may have come off like i was complaining earlier but the truth is i was trying to help. I didnt know you were done updating and i dont blame you. Its alot of work. I didnt even finish any of my mods.

Im going to give osito's mod a go. But I think im going to duct tape yours to it. Lot of other features in your mod that I just cant see myself playing without.

Honestly I wish beyond extended hadnt been abandoned. I could of put all three of these mods together and basically had a sequel lol.

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 343
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/18/2016 2:54:17 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

an impressive "Labour of Love..

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 344
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 2/24/2016 10:02:36 PM   
Remigius

In my current game with the keskudons, I had the kaldos hyperdrive from the very beginning of the game available, even thought, it is not researched. I can choose it for new designs and it was build in the shps seeded at game start too. Any idea why that is?

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 345
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 5/11/2016 3:34:24 AM   
danymatrix

a new update, please?

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 346
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 5/12/2016 3:42:47 PM   
patdoomdoom

Thanks for great work

(in reply to danymatrix)
Post #: 347
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 6/13/2016 10:42:42 PM   
blerp

Just registered to comment how great this mod is, love the big tech expansion that it makes.

Also, I've been messing around with governments, if anybody wants them they're on pastebin:

KjtpVBH1
0MS45Jyn

Just copy the raw data to governments and government biases

(in reply to patdoomdoom)
Post #: 348
RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - version 0.4 - 6/20/2016 7:25:24 PM   
TheTrooper

Guys, don't know if you got the same problem as i do but when i try to start Starfall the game tells me i can't start it because the components number ain't sequential so my game gets stuck. Any solution?

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 349
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 1/30/2017 6:52:47 PM   
NexusCron

I can't download the mod, the mediafire link doesn't work, it says it doesn't exsist. ..Can someone dropbox or google drive this mod?

(in reply to fierceking)
Post #: 350
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/1/2017 7:55:04 PM   
atazs

Bump, the links are all down. I see the guy who made this mod has not been online in years. Can someone re upload this mod somewhere?

(in reply to NexusCron)
Post #: 351
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/1/2017 10:36:28 PM   
Capshades

Here's the old 1.10 version. Someone who has time and knowledge may want to run it through Sabranan's mod tool to see if it has everything needed for the most recent version of DWU.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r13o3nuw0usw1pg/DW%20-%20Starfall%201.10.zip?dl=0

(in reply to atazs)
Post #: 352
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/1/2017 10:55:00 PM   
Sabranan

I believe I'm right in saying the only major thing wrong with it is the out of sequence research. Components and fighters are out of sequence too but I'm not sure if that's a critical issue.

In any case, opening it with my mod tool and outputting just the research, components and fighters will automagically sort the order for you. There are plenty of other minor issues (you'll see a lot of orange warnings in the log, mostly typo's), but that should be sufficient to get it working.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 353
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/2/2017 12:08:09 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capshades

Here's the old 1.10 version. Someone who has time and knowledge may want to run it through Sabranan's mod tool to see if it has everything needed for the most recent version of DWU.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r13o3nuw0usw1pg/DW%20-%20Starfall%201.10.zip?dl=0

Capshades

Thanks for providing the link.
Had a look and saw there were 69 races that could be chosen to play.
Have to see how that was done so I can add the same number of available races to my mod.

Roy

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 354
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/2/2017 3:56:45 AM   
Retreat1970

You have to recycle shipsets since the limit is 50. Imo I think any race after 25 gets redundant.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 355
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/2/2017 11:58:53 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

You have to recycle shipsets since the limit is 50. Imo I think any race after 25 gets redundant.

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the 50 ship limit but thought there was a limit on the number of races as well.

Post #: 356
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/20/2017 7:53:27 PM   
Sabranan

Just realised I actually have this. It's on my Google Drive now!

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 357
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/24/2017 1:30:14 AM   
boboverlord1

Thanks. I'm using your took now. It's very useful.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 358
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 2/25/2017 8:23:45 AM   
Parmenides

I am not able to download it via mediafire? it tells me wrong or deleted file

(in reply to boboverlord1)
Post #: 359
RE: DW - Starfall Ver 1.12 - 5/18/2017 3:08:58 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

here the link to the new version of "Starfall" [compatible with "Distant Worlds: Universe"] from Sabranan:

You can download it here.

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 5/18/2017 3:11:22 PM >

(in reply to Parmenides)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [WIP] DW - Starfall - Ver. 1.11 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI