Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Focus Pacific: Release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific: Release Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 4:46:10 AM   
BillBrown

All of the ship classes for USN SS 1000 - 1089 have bad artwork.
Class 4051 has bad artwork.

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 61
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 2:16:03 PM   
Joglinks1

Having started a game with BillBrown, well not yet but soon.
We play without house rules so everything that the Generals/Admirals would be doing is allowed.
There are some restrictions on the first turn but then it is wide open.
Some remarks as I just finished to get Korea and the home islands done, at least so I hope:

1. With Russia active, my take would be the Japanese would drive the Russians from Sakhalin ASAP, especially since you put all the oil there. From a strategic planning perspective the Japanese would have more troops there and potentially prepped to take the places. I would also expect the Japanese to have planned an invasion of Petropavlovsk to capture the oil there. To assume the Japanese would drive all the way to the DEI and have nothing planned to take the oil in the north doesn't seem to be realistic. If Russia is an actual economic target for Japan, say take the oil, then Japan would have allocated more resources to get to them. If your goal was/is to have them in the war from the beginning without a strategic appeal to the Japanese I suggest to reduce the oil points in the north and bump up the DEI. If you keep the oil as is in Russia, some Japanese assets should be marked to invade there without having to pay the PP first to free them. They could be allocated to 5th Fleet and/or another Japanese unrestricted Army.
2. Industry: with the amount of new troops coming in and the expansion of the JAAF and JNAF I don't think the industry will keep up to fit them all out and replace losses. I'll write some more on the industry once my first turn is in and I get the first tracker analysis.

Will write more when I am done with my first turn setup.
J

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 62
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 3:04:19 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joglinks1

We play without house rules so everything that the Generals/Admirals would be doing is allowed.
Some remarks as I just finished to get Korea and the home islands done, at least so I hope:

1. With Russia active, my take would be the Japanese would drive the Russians from Sakhalin ASAP, especially since you put all the oil there. From a strategic planning perspective the Japanese would have more troops there and potentially prepped to take the places. I would also expect the Japanese to have planned an invasion of Petropavlovsk to capture the oil there. To assume the Japanese would drive all the way to the DEI and have nothing planned to take the oil in the north doesn't seem to be realistic. If Russia is an actual economic target for Japan, say take the oil, then Japan would have allocated more resources to get to them. If your goal was/is to have them in the war from the beginning without a strategic appeal to the Japanese I suggest to reduce the oil points in the north and bump up the DEI. If you keep the oil as is in Russia, some Japanese assets should be marked to invade there without having to pay the PP first to free them. They could be allocated to 5th Fleet and/or another Japanese unrestricted Army.
2. Industry: with the amount of new troops coming in and the expansion of the JAAF and JNAF I don't think the industry will keep up to fit them all out and replace losses. I'll write some more on the industry once my first turn is in and I get the first tracker analysis.

J

All good points. On the other hand the Russians should be better prepared to defend the oil as well....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Joglinks1)
Post #: 63
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 3:07:21 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

All of the ship classes for USN SS 1000 - 1089 have bad artwork.
Class 4051 has bad artwork.

Now that I am awake i'll take a look a little later....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 64
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 5:00:59 PM   
Peever

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joglinks1

J

My thoughts too playing as Japan. Hokkaido, the Kurile Islands, and Sakhalin are not ready for a war with Russia. There should be a Japanese corp ready to march on Alexandrovsk from start. In my game I'm just going under the assumption that Japan had to make sacrifices on the Russian front to be able to attack everywhere else, but it would be nice in future versions to have Japan better prepared for an invasion against the Soviet Union.

< Message edited by Peever -- 6/13/2016 5:03:57 PM >

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to Joglinks1)
Post #: 65
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 5:10:08 PM   
Peever

Looks like some French air tops are missing....unless they have stealth fighters in 1941, or just great cloud camouflage. This was an attack over that French base in China.

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 66
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 5:31:16 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peever

Looks like some French air tops are missing....unless they have stealth fighters in 1941, or just great cloud camouflage. This was an attack over that French base in China.

I noticed that in my own game. This was working previously, so I need to look at the atop.bmp file to see what's wrong. The good news is that art fixes can be applied to in-progress games, so no one will have to start over for the fix.

quote:

Japan prepared against the Soviets.

Some good points, though I think we need to compromise a bit here - having some Japanese troops positioned to attack here makes sense, but I don't want it to be the cakewalk that the invasion of Malaya is.

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 67
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 5:58:51 PM   
btd64

One thing to keep in mind is that attacking the Russians is a Japanese option. If you choose to, you have to gather up the troops to do it with. Remember with scenario 75 and I think with 71, the Soviets are active but not at war. That in mind, the Allies need to make sure that the Soviet airforce is in training or search mode only....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 68
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 6:10:57 PM   
BillBrown

A oncern about the Soviets from the Allied side scenario 71.
AFVs:
BT-7 there are 70 built per month until 4/42
T-26S LIght Tank there are 80 built per month until 4/42
T-38 Tankette there are 16 built per month until 4/42
There are no more tanks built until 5/44. There is a long time with no tank production.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 69
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 8:40:12 PM   
Peever

Nagasaki/Sasebo has a default port size of 0. It's already built up to a size 7 bu this means it can no longer be expanded. The stock size has a default of 6 which allows the player to build up to size 9.

This error occurs in scenarios 71 and 72 but scenario 75 uses the stock sizes.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 70
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 10:53:18 PM   
paradigmblue

Focus Pacific 1.02 Patch Preview / In Progress

Naval Bombers with incorrect weapon facings
French bombers now have the correct facings for their weapons. The Bloch bombers now also don't lose their guns on extended range missions. Thanks to Bluesky for the catch.

Ships With Bad Artwork
Bad artwork reported for USN subs and one Japanese sub.
The art looks fine to me, I need a third party to verify:

Japanese Prep for Invasion of Sakhalin
Players have requested some Japanese units ready for the Sakhalin invasion. I'm not against this, but I don't want to make the invasion a "gimme" for the Japanese either. Here's what I'm thinking:
Add 1 Japanese Infantry Division and 2 Japanese Armor Bdes on the Japanese side of Sakhalin, prepped for Alexandrovsk. I'm open to feedback here. Thanks to Joglinks1 for the idea.

Missing Plane top for MS.410
This should be an easy fix. Let me know if any other planes show up with missing artwork. Thanks to Peever for the catch.

Soviet Armor Replacements
Soviet armor production ends in March of 42. Thanks to Bill Brown for the catch.
I'm removing the end-date for these devices, but reducing the their replacement rate by 25%.
BT-7 - Reduced to 55 from 70, removed end date
T-26S - Reduced to 60 from 80, removed end date
T-38 Tankette - Reduced to 12 from 16, removed end date.

Nagasaki/Sasebo Port Build Size
The port build size field was set to zero instead of 6. Thanks to Peever for the catch.
I've restored Nagasaki/Sasebo's port build size to 6, allowing for a level 9 port.

US Bomber Squadron Fielding Incorrect Nationality of B-25s
Patton found a single B-25 squadron that somehow wound up with foreign B-25Bs. The squadron is now flying their intended American B-25Cs.

Let me know of any additional issues. Once we have a firm direction on the Japanese prep for Sakhalin and have resolved whether the sub sides need to be fixed I'll put out a patch.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 6/14/2016 12:58:12 AM >

Post #: 71
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 11:55:30 PM   
Lokasenna

I'd be happy to download the files and load up in Tracker/compare on the map, but my progress will be slow on determining the economic capacity here. I'm also going to want to compare to stock Scen 1/Scen 2, so we'll see.

Post #: 72
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/13/2016 11:57:53 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I'd be happy to download the files and load up in Tracker/compare on the map, but my progress will be slow on determining the economic capacity here. I'm also going to want to compare to stock Scen 1/Scen 2, so we'll see.

That would be fantastic, thank you.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 73
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 12:07:21 AM   
btd64

Para, If we are going to add units to the Japanese on the island, Then we need some troops for the Soviets. Personally I would add None. The reason for my choice is in post 68 above....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 6/14/2016 12:10:05 AM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 74
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 12:16:12 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Para, If we are going to add units to the Japanese on the island, Then we need some troops for the Soviets. Personally I would add None. The reason for my choice is in post 68 above....GP

I'm not entirely convinced either. To me, the Japanese player needs to make a choice before going after Sakhalin first or going after the DEI first. Being ready to roll over both seems like having their cake and being able to eat it too.

In the alternate history of Focus Pacific, Japan is pressured by the Germans into opening the front with the Soviets at the same time as their Pearl attack due to the failure of the Wehrmacht to capture Moscow by December of 41. Following that logic, it makes sense that Japan is not well prepared for the offensive.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 6/14/2016 12:19:32 AM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 75
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 1:24:16 AM   
BillBrown

Ship art update. It seems that Tracker has problems with displaying ship sides for some classes. Those are right in the editor, but sometimes wrong in Tracker. Who knows? Sorry.

Post #: 76
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 1:25:40 AM   
BillBrown

I would say no to any prep for Soviet bases. It looks like japan will have little trouble with the Soviets. I just hope it takes long enough I can
build some defense elsewhere.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 77
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 1:44:13 AM   
btd64

quote:

Ship art update. It seems that Tracker has problems with displaying ship sides for some classes. Those are right in the editor, but sometimes wrong in Tracker. Who knows? Sorry.

No problem man. I took a quick look and it all was looking good....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 78
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 2:06:00 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

Don't apologize! We appreciate you checking.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 79
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 2:12:26 AM   
paradigmblue

Plane Art Issue

This seems to be a problem with some missing slots in the atop alpha file. Many of these had displayed without problem previously - not anymore.

Anyone have a shortcut on how to easily create atopalpha silhouettes from atop assets? I know there must be a trick in photoshop to do it quickly. Paging Mifune to the thread...

Post #: 80
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 3:47:37 AM   
Lokasenna

Got it installed and am loading up Scen 75 to begin calculating. You could probably add the historical briefing

I can't get Tracker to load with it, however. Looks like maybe a problem with ship art...
quote:

M:\WITP - Focus Pacific\Tracker>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe"
-Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.jar"
Initializing WitP Tracker AE database.
WitP Tracker AE tables loaded in 2 seconds
WARNING: SigInt file <M:\WITP - Focus Pacific\SAVE\jsigint.txt> has 0 days of in
tel in the file, but the turn cycle is 1.
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException:
0 >= 0
at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Unknown Source)
at witptracker.ShipClassPanel$1.getValueAt(ShipClassPanel.java:146)
at witptracker.ShipClassPanel$1.getColumnClass(ShipClassPanel.java:174)
at javax.swing.table.TableRowSorter.useToString(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultRowSorter.updateUseToString(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultRowSorter.sort(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultRowSorter.setRowFilter(Unknown Source)
at witptracker.ShipClassPanel.actionPerformed(ShipClassPanel.java:846)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireActionEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.contentsChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractListModel.fireContentsChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultComboBoxModel.setSelectedItem(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultComboBoxModel.addElement(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.addItem(Unknown Source)
at witptracker.ShipClassPanel.PopulateCombos(ShipClassPanel.java:778)
at witptracker.ShipClassPanel.<init>(ShipClassPanel.java:653)
at witptracker.GUIMain.CreateAndShowGUI(GUIMain.java:736)
at witptracker.GUIMain$5.run(GUIMain.java:1020)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown
Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

M:\WITP - Focus Pacific\Tracker>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 6/14/2016 3:54:19 AM >

Post #: 81
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 5:52:58 PM   
btd64

quote:

Got it installed and am loading up Scen 75 to begin calculating. You could probably add the historical briefing

I can't get Tracker to load with it, however. Looks like maybe a problem with ship art...
quote:

WARNING: SigInt file <M:\WITP - Focus Pacific\SAVE\jsigint.txt> has 0 days of in
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException:
0 >= 0
Source)

Try running a turn first and see if it clears up....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 82
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 5:54:56 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Plane Art Issue

This seems to be a problem with some missing slots in the atop alpha file. Many of these had displayed without problem previously - not anymore.

Anyone have a shortcut on how to easily create atopalpha silhouettes from atop assets? I know there must be a trick in photoshop to do it quickly. Paging Mifune to the thread...

Para, I think that I posted or emailed you about this topic about a month ago. Can't remember....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 83
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 6:18:21 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

0 >= 0
Source)

Try running a turn first and see if it clears up....GP

Why would that impact the Exception? The Warning for no SIGINT happens for me every day - it just means there's no previous day's SIGINT to load into Tracker.

I'm just guessing, but from the "ShipClassPanel" bits in there it looks like there's an error where something in the scenario data is referring to something that doesn't exist in the DB. Just a guess.

Does Tracker load for others?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 84
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 6:23:25 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Plane Art Issue

Para, I think that I posted or emailed you about this topic about a month ago. Can't remember....GP

You did. You were right, I was wrong - I need to add those atop alpha files!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 85
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 7:25:53 PM   
BillBrown

Tracker works fine for me in scenario 71 and 75. Make sure you have the pwsdll7.dll file in your tracker folder.

Post #: 86
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 9:23:46 PM   
Peever

I was able to get tracker to work after some experimentation. I wasn't sure which region file to import so I went with "BigBabes_ExtendedMap" because it seemed like the right one. I didn't have information from turn one but I imported saves from the start of turns 2 & 3. At this point in the game I have made NO industry changes at all I was just focused on getting those first few turns done. Now I'm going to start tinkering with things like air production.

As it stands now Japan has roughly 293 days worth of oil and an alarming 25 days of resources stored in the Home Islands (excluding Hokkaido). I don't have any stock information to compare to but I'm pretty sure the resources will run out much faster than stock. I think I had something like 40 to 50 days of resources when I was learning Japan in my stock practice games. The Home Islands have 151 days of fuel in storage which seems normal.

Here is a shot of the Industry Chart:

I know that getting Tracker to run can be a problem on some computers. Took me a few hours to get it runnning on mine with Windows throwing a hissy fit the whole time. It seems to be running so if I can provide anyone with information let me know.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 87
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 9:57:06 PM   
HansBolter

Soviet Armor Replacements
Soviet armor production ends in March of 42. Thanks to Bill Brown for the catch.
I'm removing the end-date for these devices, but reducing the their replacement rate by 25%.
BT-7 - Reduced to 55 from 70, removed end date
T-26S - Reduced to 60 from 80, removed end date
T-38 Tankette - Reduced to 12 from 16, removed end date.

This is a great fix as far as it goes, but no self respecting Soviet player would want to be using these in '43-45.
We need T34s both 76s and 85s
We need SU-76s, SU-85s, SU-122s, SU-152s
We need KV1s and KV85s
We need IS1s and IS2s
We need ISU122s and ISU152s

Hans

Post #: 88
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/14/2016 10:29:58 PM   
Peever

I need some clarification on free planes Japan gets every month. Right now I'm running a serous engine deficit of -397 for all types that are currently in use. However it may not be that bad because I was including total production numbers in my calculations. Do the free planes come as a complete package or just as free frames?

In tracker Japan looks to be getting 15 free A5M4 Claude air frames a month. These use the Nakajima Kotobuki engine of which Japan starts with a production capacity of 45 a month, however that is 67 engines short of total needs for that engine type. If those Claudes come as a complete package then there is no shortage of that engine type because if you remove the free frames then there is a surplus of that engine type (there is another plane that uses that type that also appears to get some for free).

I have not run enough turns yet to have the pool change yet so I'm need to know how the free planes work. Are they just the frames without engines or does Japan get the whole plane for free.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 89
RE: Focus Pacific: Release - 6/15/2016 12:12:27 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peever

I need some clarification on free planes Japan gets every month. Right now I'm running a serous engine deficit of -397 for all types that are currently in use. However it may not be that bad because I was including total production numbers in my calculations. Do the free planes come as a complete package or just as free frames?

In tracker Japan looks to be getting 15 free A5M4 Claude air frames a month. These use the Nakajima Kotobuki engine of which Japan starts with a production capacity of 45 a month, however that is 67 engines short of total needs for that engine type. If those Claudes come as a complete package then there is no shortage of that engine type because if you remove the free frames then there is a surplus of that engine type (there is another plane that uses that type that also appears to get some for free).

I have not run enough turns yet to have the pool change yet so I'm need to know how the free planes work. Are they just the frames without engines or does Japan get the whole plane for free.

The free planes come as replacements, rather than production, and are fully completed. You do not have to supply engines for these replacement aircraft.

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific: Release Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI