Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, colberki allowed]

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, colberki allowed] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, colb... - 6/14/2016 3:21:12 AM   
Girshwin

My name is Girshwin. I don't have much free time away from work and need to study for the LSAT, so I figured why not start a full campaign AAR?

This is my first PBEM. I have played one complete campaign game as Germans vs. Soviet Normal AI, and am starting a game as Soviets vs German Hard AI. My opponent, colberki, graciously agreed to an AAR and playing against an unknown (He has played a number of AI games and is also dipping toes into PBEM.)

I have learned to play largely from expert AARs. I wanted to contribute by sharing a game with two relative newcomers, and learn along the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Settings

Bitter End 41-45GC
FOW
Random Weather
Mild Blizzard
No +1 to Soviet Combat Odds

House Rules

No naval invasions whatsoever.
No air attack on HQ unless stacked with another unit.
Auto Victory in 1941 - Leningrad, Moscow, Voronezh, Rostov
AWOL on move for 15 days= game over
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn 1:

I practiced by looking at Ketza's stickied start and part of the most recent Michael/Sillyflower AAR. I also paid special care to the RKhan vs. thedrillsgt beginner AAR to anticipate dangers facing an unprepared German. In the first dry run I used "bomb unit mode" on all of the airfields and killed 54 planes. My strategic goal is to capture as many Soviets as I can, and my tactical goal is to not have my spearheads cut off each turn. I look forward to a long campaign.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/29/2016 12:41:51 AM >

"The President has always been given a choice of the various desks that he can have. That is one of the prerogatives."
-Richard Nixon
Post #: 1
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 6:09:42 AM   
Michael T

Not bad for a beginner. One thing you will have to learn is how achieve the same or better results and minimize breaking your Pz/Mot units down in to regiments. Minimize this when you can. Because as you will already know, when you recombine them you are stuck with the lowest MP of the individual components. I hate it when I have to recombine and 2 of the 3 are at 45+ MP and the 3rd unit is at 30MP, or even worse.

Also note, it only costs 6 MP for a deliberate attack on a unit, which if is a regiment will be easier to dislodge and change ownership of a hex (even though the successful attacker does not occupy it). Yet if the hex were simply zoc locked (rather than occupied) it may be impossible for the enemy to simply move in to it. So my point is defending a hex is sometimes easier to do with nothing but a zoc lock, rather than a regiment. This is especially true on T1.

< Message edited by Michael T -- 6/14/2016 6:21:24 AM >

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 12:30:05 PM   
swkuh

+1 that...

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 3
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 1:09:32 PM   
Manstein63

A lot better than most of my 1st turn efforts
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 1:23:04 PM   
ericv

more than decent opening as far as a mainly SHC player can tell

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 5
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 2:34:58 PM   
Girshwin

Thank you for the advice Michael. I count 7 broken down units, and I will work on accomplishing the same goal with less. We will see what movement is lost next turn by my choice to use regiments. My understanding is that the attack value I see on my units is significantly different than the defensive value the Soviets will see, so I am not clear on what division/regiment can hold a position and what force can't.

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/14/2016 2:37:17 PM >

"The President has always been given a choice of the various desks that he can have. That is one of the prerogatives."
-Richard Nixon

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 6
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 2:54:39 PM   
Manstein63

quote:

ORIGINAL: Girshwin

My understanding is that the attack value I see on my units is significantly different than the defensive value the Soviets will see, so I am not clear on what division/regiment can hold a position and what force can't.

You can go into the admin tab & change the counter settings so as it will show both attack & defence values rather then attack and movement
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 3:23:42 PM   
STEF78

Very good first turn for a beginner!

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 8
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/14/2016 3:45:25 PM   
rainman2015

Yes, very good initial turn, you have been practicing! The pocket at Kovel will be able to be opened if he sacrifices that motorized division, but that's the only downside i saw.

Randy
:)

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 9
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/17/2016 2:31:41 AM   
Michael T

Just to clarify what I am on about. The hex between the two green dots. It could be attacked from the yellow arrows. If the Soviets win the combat against the regiment they gain ownership of the hex and the pocket is broken. However if you had a division in each green dot hex or even 2 regiments and left the middle hex vacant there would probably be no chance of the Soviet breaking the pocket here. As he will not have enough MP to actually move in to a vacant hex (he can’t attack it) or the combat power to dislodge an entire division in an adjacent hex. Hope this makes sense.

In this example from your map, it would be better not to defend the hex with a weak unit, but rather let the zoc defend it. This will not hold true later on when Cavalry units can infiltrate. Then you need to create a buffer of controlled hexes like you will see in some of my AAR's.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rainman2015)
Post #: 10
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/17/2016 10:34:42 AM   
Wuffer

good example, Michael, and a very useful contribution. in the long run you are training your later opponents. :-)

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 11
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/22/2016 2:16:15 AM   
Girshwin

Turn 2! Again, note we are both beginners so do not go too hard on us. :)

It looks like my opponent is running, for the most part.
My plan is to cut the southern units off from retreat by rail, or force him to send in and lose armor. The South is looking good. I didn't fight very much in this case, just moved the panzers through two holes. looks like there is a gap north of the land bridge and if I can I think I might try to go that way. In the north, the Velikaya river looks like a big barrier to me. I will have to see what the panzers can do there next turn.

Some things I'm learning:

Making sure rail lines are clear one turn ahead can speed things up.
I could have arranged the infantry units so more could speed to the front lines.
Something I attempted: a front line converted buffer.

Things I'm still puzzling over:

Airbase placement- put on rail lines or send behind the battle.
Gas conservation. It seems like holding some tanks back and waiting for the front to be fully converted could save gas.

Overall I am very pleased with the turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/29/2016 12:40:26 AM >

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 12
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/22/2016 2:33:05 AM   
Michael T

You are looking good in the south.

quote:

Gas conservation. It seems like holding some tanks back and waiting for the front to be fully converted could save gas.

Yes, if you can afford to have a few units held back its well worth it. Even more so if said mech units morale is less than 86.

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 13
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/22/2016 1:28:23 PM   
Girshwin

On T3, the Soviets broke all the southern pockets.

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 14
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/23/2016 4:09:59 AM   
Girshwin

Turn 3.

My opponent ran, saving his troops. In the north I went for Pskov and stopped in front of his next line.

In the center, I used an HQBU from last turn to attack at the north end of the landbridge, making a spearhead. I was proud of this because it's not something I've done a lot of.

In the south, my opponent opened up almost all of the pockets, including the original Lvov pocket! This slowed my infantry down. I am not happy with the tanks at the northern edge of the swamp, I realize that they will not get much gas next turn. My tank at Cherkassy was also a bit over-exuberant. I'm also worried about my southern tanks being encircled by his tanks and cavalry.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/24/2016 5:15:35 AM >

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 15
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/23/2016 3:44:45 PM   
rainman2015

Man, your opponent SERIOUSLY ran in the south! You must be hopelessly past your 25 hex supply range with your pz HQ down there near Cherkassy on T3.

Surprised he didn't defend Pskov or Vitebsk or Mogilev with enough to prevent them falling T3, put in one infantry division dug in to those cities and the panzers can't take them easily.

Now that you have used up your first two turn supplies, and are so far forward, supply issues will start being a huge limiter for you on every front.

In my current PBEM campaign game on turn 6, i have taken Smolensk and broken the back of the central Soviet defenses, very little in my way to Moscow for the short moment, but i can't take advantage of it, my supply lines are absolutely maxed at 25 hexes, will have to pull back some and do some HQBUs while the railheads catchup, but even after HQBU, the rail can only advance 4 hexes max per turn, so that is about the limit of my advance towards Moscow now per turn unless again out of supply.

Randy

< Message edited by rainman2015 -- 6/23/2016 4:27:46 PM >

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 16
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/23/2016 3:55:34 PM   
Girshwin

I wanted a take-back with the tanks in the south after I moved, but it was too late obviously. I need to plan more carefully and count hexes. I was just so excited to be able to move forward.

-Richard Nixon

Post #: 17
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/23/2016 4:31:28 PM   
rainman2015

quote:

I wanted a take-back with the tanks in the south after I moved, but it was too late obviously. I need to plan more carefully and count hexes. I was just so excited to be able to move forward.

Those advanced panzer divisions are likely to have less than 10 MPs turn 4+ until supply catches up (or you pull their HQ back in 25 hex range). It looks like you can just go, but supply really stops you in your tracks (pun intended). I did the same thing with one of my panzer divisions heading towards Bryansk on turn 5 (a gap in the Soviet lines and nothing in front of me) and pushed them too far before i realized it with the next panzer division, and turn 6, the too far forward panzer division has ONE MP, should have flown them some JU52 supplies though, they would have 10 or so at least then.

Randy

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 18
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/23/2016 9:11:09 PM   
Girshwin

The southernmost panzers had an HQBU, so I think they will be okay. I am nervous about his cavalry and tanks down there that I am afraid could isolate the divisions. The tanks below the swamp and the Cherkassy division are far from the railhead, I know.

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/23/2016 9:14:11 PM >

-Richard Nixon

Post #: 19
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/23/2016 9:22:38 PM   
821Bobo

No worries, there is no chance to cut off the Panzers.
btw. You should have kept the Pz div in Kirovograd. Now partisans will spread out from the city.

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 20
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/24/2016 5:09:03 AM   
Girshwin

I've sent off turn 4, but am holding off commenting on my extravagant plans as my opponent is now welcome to read/comment. I will now stay 2-3 turns behind the game. Both of us commenting on the AAR may be helpful as it is a learning experience. Hopefully once he sees the full glory of my moves he will despair and not realize my panzers will be running out of gas. Except for the the HQBUed ones which I will try not to disclose.

Noted, I will make sure to keep cities garrisoned.

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/24/2016 5:18:03 AM >

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 21
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/24/2016 9:35:15 AM   
colberki

STAVKA is keen to avoid a T6+ game ending pocket N of Smolensk as in the recent Michael T/Sillyflower game.
If I survive until December 1941, I will try to I try to implement Charlie's Red Army 2.0 for 1942 with a few tweaks of my own.

< Message edited by colberki -- 6/24/2016 3:41:34 PM >

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 22
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/24/2016 2:20:51 PM   
Girshwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: colberki

STAVKA is keen to avoid a T6+ game ending pocket N of Smolensk

Who said anything about large pocket NORTH of Smolensk?

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/24/2016 2:23:17 PM >

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 23
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/25/2016 11:51:43 PM   
Girshwin

Turn 4 (We are on turn 5 in the actual game.)

In the north, the panzers are low on gas so approach the Luga line cautiously. I am deciding whether to go straight for Leningrad or try the right hook around lake Ilmen. The lake crossing doesn't seem too heavily defended, but it will take Pioneers to cross those rivers...

In the center, I use all of my panzer corps to punch straight for Smolensk, cracking his fort line. My goal this turn is to leave next turn open to several pocketing options if he does not retreat. Two corps are gassed up in preparation for the offensive next turn.

In the south, my opponent still seems to be running instead of fighting. I am surprised Odessa is not more heavily defended. However, recon shows that both Kiev and the entire Dnepr line are heavily defended. I think I will need to pull up the infantry before I can have a chance to crack it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/29/2016 12:42:23 AM >

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 24
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/26/2016 12:10:45 PM   
Balou

quote:

In the north, the panzers are low on gas so approach the Luga line cautiously. I am deciding whether to go straight for Leningrad or try the right hook around lake Ilmen. The lake crossing doesn't seem too heavily defended, but it will take Pioneers to cross those rivers...

Right hook: that's no tank country east of Lake Ilmen, so I suggest you select experienced/high morale inf divs and high profile corps leaders to support your mob divisions. And put lots of heavy artillery in those corps, since when you really pocket Leningrad, you will need (apart from pioneers) firepower to flatten fortifications.

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 25
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/26/2016 10:24:25 PM   
Girshwin

Turn 5:

On turn 4, the Finns were having a lutefisk celebration and forgot to move, but this turn they advance to the Lake Janis line.

In the north, I opt against the right hook around Lake Ilmen because I haven't devoted a lot of resources to Army Group North and I am worried I will get stuck. LVI and XXXXI panzer corps approached Leningrad. Thankfully, I could cross at the north end of the Luga, where it looks like the defenses are thinner and the terrain more friendly to panzers. My goals are to avoid the swamps as much as I can. I don't think I will pocket anything at the Luga line but hope to break into the fort line to make the rest of the line untenable.

In my game vs. the AI, I took Leningrad by crossing the Volkhov and taking the border ports. That seems more difficult vs. a human opponent, so I will potentially try and cross the Neva with brute force. I understand that there is also a strategy where you bomb the port down, but that it is risky and you can lose a lot of planes if the opponent sets up flak.

In the south, I don’t fight. My opponent has chosen to save his forces and is defending the Dnepr in force. I try to move as many infantry as I can close to the river for a bridgehead next turn. My understanding is that infantry is much better at attacking across the river than tanks, so next turn I want to be able to set up stacks of infantry for a prepared attack. I try not to move my tanks much, except for moving the tanks near Kiev south and as close to the rail line as they can go, so that they can pick where to exploit next turn. It seems like a large portion of his strength is near Kiev so I don’t think I can take the city without much pain and heartache. My other tank corps are idling near Cherkassy and in cities for now.

The best for last: I am very proud of this pocket. I know that destruction of the Soviet army is the German’s #1 goal, and that pockets are normal for experts, but this came off well. It is the first real pocket since the rush at the beginning. Gassing up the panzers last turn came off well, and I was able to surround Smolensk, breaking the line above and below it with massed infantry. By my count I have 3 panzer corps and 12 infantry corps, so a significant portion of the German army is here in force. I expected to get only the pocket around Smolensk, but found that I had panzers left (one was in reserve at Vitebsk and I believe had 50 MPs) and was able to attack the Dnepr line from behind, allowing 2 divisions in the 4th Army to come behind.

However, there is one weak spot in the Smolensk pocket, which I circled in the close-up picture. I have concern that units could potentially rail in close to the weak spot, where they only have to win 1 battle against a regiment to open the pocket. Thankfully, the strong local mech/tank units are inside the pocket.

The Germans have good morale and the quartermasters send home shipments of boots and winter clothing, because what could go wrong?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/29/2016 12:42:45 AM >

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 26
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/26/2016 10:30:18 PM   
Girshwin

Close up of the Turn 5 pocket:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Girshwin -- 6/29/2016 12:44:26 AM >

-Richard Nixon

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 27
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/26/2016 11:19:53 PM   
colberki

Soviets are near collapse on all fronts. I think Axis is looking on track for 1941 house rule of automatic victory condition when Leningrad, Moscow, Voronezh and Rostov are all captured during Barbarossa!

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 28
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/27/2016 7:39:23 AM   
RKhan

The pocket is well done. I was surprised your opponent stuck around after last turn.

RKhan

(in reply to Girshwin)
Post #: 29
RE: Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, ... - 6/27/2016 7:44:36 AM   
RKhan

quote:

ORIGINAL: colberki

Soviets are near collapse on all fronts. I think Axis is looking on track for 1941 house rule of automatic victory condition when Leningrad, Moscow, Voronezh and Rostov are all captured during Barbarossa!

I would say the Axis are only ok in the south, and you can probably recover after the Smolensk pocket.

With beginners it is impossible to tell what will happen next. They are my favourite games to play. Keep fighting Comrade!

RKhan

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Girshwin (GER) vs. colberki (SOV) [Two Beginners, colberki allowed] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI