Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ETA?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: ETA? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ETA? - 6/24/2016 2:38:58 AM   
FF_1079

Well, it has been two weeks and nothing concrete has been posted about upcoming milestone dates, much less an expected release date. I am hoping that the silence about the progress is because the team feels badly at promising a date last year and then running into programming issues. I would say that virtually every person I have ever met has had their butt kicked by the elephant known as "unexpected difficulties", it just happens.

The solution is to never go into "silent running" mode and hope no one notices the train wreck until the problem is resolved. I certainly have taught all my children that the first step is to admit the problem and then get help, feeling badly about it is something that can happen in parallel to solving it. The core audience of a detailed turn based war game are not prone to fits of hyperbolic emotion and teen angst drama, they are details people, they remember things. The kind of detail oriented people that buy games like TOAW are the ones that are the most curious about the changes, and perhaps the most patient at waiting because they hate bugs that ruin their enjoyment.

Yet that curiosity can cut both ways, trying to keep them in the dark without any update info is a sure way to make them feel that the project is stalled, or dying on the vine. A paragraph or two with a screen shot, once a month, is not too much to ask for, and not too much to deliver truthfully. Driving forum traffic is a good way to sell a niche game like TOAW, especially if there is a Steam portal as well - use your happy customers as your future references, but first try to do something to make the early adopters on this forum get excited about spreading the word.

Still looking forward to TOAW IV as soon as it's ready.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 31
RE: ETA? - 6/24/2016 2:52:35 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: FF_1079
Well, it has been two weeks and nothing concrete has been posted about upcoming milestone dates, much less an expected release date. I am hoping that the silence about the progress is because the team feels badly at promising a date last year and then running into programming issues. I would say that virtually every person I have ever met has had their butt kicked by the elephant known as "unexpected difficulties", it just happens.

The solution is to never go into "silent running" mode and hope no one notices the train wreck until the problem is resolved. I certainly have taught all my children that the first step is to admit the problem and then get help, feeling badly about it is something that can happen in parallel to solving it. The core audience of a detailed turn based war game are not prone to fits of hyperbolic emotion and teen angst drama, they are details people, they remember things. The kind of detail oriented people that buy games like TOAW
are the ones that are the most curious about the changes, and perhaps the most patient at waiting because they hate bugs that ruin their enjoyment.

Yet that curiosity can cut both ways, trying to keep them in the dark without any update info is a sure way to make them feel that the project is stalled, or dying on the vine. A paragraph or two with a screen shot, once a month, is not too much to ask for, and not too much to deliver truthfully. Driving forum traffic is a good way to sell a niche game like TOAW, especially if there is a Steam
portal as well - use your happy customers as your future references, but first try to do something to make the early adopters on this
forum get excited about spreading the word.

Still looking forward to TOAW IV as soon as it's ready.

I feel your pain. I've been urging posting at least screenshots but so far it's no go. I think maybe all the players are going to other
games. I hope you don't. Hang in there as long as it takes. TOAW IV is worth it. I think so anyway. Playtesting has never
stopped and I haven't run into a bug in quite a while now. That's a good sign. PM me for a screenshot. Just kidding.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 32
RE: ETA? - 6/24/2016 10:42:23 AM   
lecrop

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

...PM me for a screenshot. Just kidding.

Don't play with our feelings!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 33
RE: ETA? - 6/24/2016 12:09:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: lecrop
quote:

...PM me for a screenshot. Just kidding.

Don't play with our feelings!

Yeah, that wasn't called for. Sorry about that. I guess the waiting is starting to
be painful.

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 34
RE: ETA? - 6/24/2016 10:23:28 PM   
Meyer1

What I wanna know is who is the genius that think that complete silence is a good way to promote the game. If the devs are too busy to talk, fine, let the testers do it, I'm sure they are dying for.

< Message edited by Meyer1 -- 6/24/2016 10:26:17 PM >

Post #: 35
RE: ETA? - 6/25/2016 4:16:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

First, recall that Ralph finally had to get a real job some time back because the process was taking too long and he had exhausted his savings. That put him on part time for the project. Things have therefore slowed down. (This is not new information).

Nevertheless, progress continues. We are focused on the UI in the hopes that, once finished, the beta testers can finally be invited in. But it is a large task and no one can guess how long it will take to complete even that. After that there are still game features left to finish up. And, of course, bugs crop up unpredictably - temporarily diverting Ralph from UI work.

Unfortunately, the fact that the UI is not finished yet prevents posting of screenshots. As mentioned before, first impressions are critical, so the artwork must be finished and coded into the game before it can be revealed to the public. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 36
RE: ETA? - 6/27/2016 8:40:46 AM   
Lobster

This whole process has been a Greek tragedy. Tragic plot based on myths of archaic epics.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 37
RE: ETA? - 6/27/2016 1:26:48 PM   
fogger

So you are prepared to pay good money for a game that has bugs in it?

YES it has been a long process and YES we would all like to have had TOAW 4 a couple of years ago. But we live in a real world were we do not always get what we want.

Re-read Bob's post above.

STOP being so negative and look at the positive side. The game is being worked on as we speak or would you prefer Ralph and Bob and all the other working on it to say "up yours", we have had enough and go off and do other things. I know that Bob loves golf.

Slitherine Ltd is in business to make money. Do you think for one second that they would leave the game sitting on the shelf once the bugs are fixed. They want to sell the game so that they can get a return on their investments.

For your information there were 9 updates in April, 5 in May and 2 so far in June. Things are happening.

When it is finished TOAW 4 WILL BE GREAT. I know it is a pain waiting but hang in there and try not to be so negative.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 38
RE: ETA? - 6/27/2016 8:07:06 PM   
Ratzki

I know the screenshot issue has been dealt with before, but I feel that something, anything really, would hold at bay some of the flames of anticipation.

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 39
RE: ETA? - 6/27/2016 9:11:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I know the screenshot issue has been dealt with before, but I feel that something, anything really, would hold at bay some of
the flames of anticipation.

Well then, how about an update on my PBEM with Thomas? We're playtesting Thomas's new scenario Pacific at War and this
time I'm the Allies and we're on turn 237 or so. We're doing half-week turns and we're doing the whole war so it's been ongoing for
the last two months or so. We can usually produce something like two or three turns per day. The story of the game so far is when
I get another carrier I traditionally rush it out to the front lines where I try to stage an assault on someplace or other and Thomas has
his airpower go after my ships instead of protecting the beaches so much and I lose the CV component of my carrier. D'oh. So now
I'm down to my last carrier and it's early '44 and I don't have the shipping to challenge Thomas anywhere important so it's quiet right
now. I've got about 40% of the fleet in a port getting repaired for the final assault. I'm leaning toward Tarawa this time. Thomas
tells me he's down to his last 3 BB's and so I'm hoping to be able to overpower his fleet with a lucky strike from my one remaining
carrier and then I can spend '44 and part of '45 trying to get close to Okinawa. Thomas and I have figured out that Okinawa is an
easier target than Tokyo and it's capture ends the war just like a capture of Tokyo would. I tried to grab Java right under his nose
and he moved every airplane he owns into the area and sank so many ships that I had to retreat. That was about 6 months ago
game time. He's got so many planes that I can't break into territory that he owns that has good defenses, like Java. So I'm
leaning toward maybe trying to grab Tarawa this time. I'm going to leap into the possibilities just as soon as some more of my ships
are up to 90% readiness at least. Most of them are in the low 70's right now so it'll be another three months or so of game time
before I'll be ready. Meanwhile there's lots of air-to-air over the Port Moresby area. We're squabbling over some real estate that
I don't particularly want just to have somewhere to fight the war. I'm thinking I can win a war of attrition.

The reason I'm not doing so well is that I tend to be too aggressive and attack too early before I'm really ready, with too few ships
and way too few planes. One carrier's worth of fighters isn't enough CAP to keep the Jap fighters off my ships. I'm outnumbered
in the air, always. I suspect he has the entire KB still intact, hiding it from the war, to be used around Okinawa in the final push.
It's looking like I'm going to lose this game. Of all the games Thomas and I have played I remember beating him only once. Which
is understandable since he's the author of these scenarios and knows them like the back of his hand.

There was a program about 18 months ago in game time, where I had the Marine Air Groups ( MAG ) parked in the Aleutians and
they were running some low-losses air raids on Kiska not so much to cause losses but to gain in proficiency. There were several
units that were at 100% proficiency when the program was ended due to the need for the aircraft out in the "field". And the eskimo
women had learned how to play poker and were getting good at separating the younger pilots from their money. It was time to
go.

I've run into a parking problem in the Port Moresby area. There's three airfields in the Port Moresby city hexes and there's another
airfield at Milne Bay and somehow I captured Buna at one point but I think Thomas owns it again now. It had an airfield and so I
could park about a dozen fighters there. The problem is I have about four dozen planes to be deployed so I've been rotating the
tired ones out and replacing them with fresh ones each turn. The Hellcats are out already and they are starting to replace the
late model P-38's I've been relying on the last two years or so. The P-40's are parked in Tasmania and New Zealand and don't
see much of the war anymore. They are obsolete now. Flying them just gets good pilots killed.

There was a front line in Burma where there was some pushing and shoving on the part of the Allies but the fighting got into tough
terrain and the losses began to pile up and so the attacking trailed off and now it's a quiet part of the front where there's no progress
being made by either side. I need the later model aircraft in India and Burma but there's no way to fly them to Ceylon, the traditional
jumping point that used to reachable from Broome but now with half-week turns the ferry radius is cut down to so little that that route
is no longer open and there's a need to carry aircraft as cargo. We'd rather not give shipchasers a carrier ability just so it can
carry a plane so we're hoping for a version of TOAW that will have little ships called subchasers, able to carry aircraft as cargo
It's the only way to get aircraft from Australia to India. The character of the game will change when that happens and more
playtesting will definatly be needed. I hope to be on one side or the other when the testing starts.

Thomas has produced about half a dozen smaller scenario's that cover just one area for a specific period of time. Like Guadalcanal,
and Midway, and the Battle of Santa Cruz and two more that I don't remember the name of right off the top of my head. We've
already tested them and it appears that the Midway scenario is unbalanced......the Japs win 95% of the time. Which is what real
life should have turned out as. We got in some very lucky shots at the right times and it turned the tide. But most of the time the
Japs don't bomb Midway, preferring to scuttle the Allied ships first and the rest was almost history.

The version of TOAW IV we're testing hasn't run into any bugs in quite a while now and I haven't posted any bug reports since
about.......well, I don't remember when the last bug report was posted. I remember that I posted it but I don't remember the verbage
or the situation or anything. It couldn't have been very important then. I'd like to see new updated graphics for the game map so
that the game looks more professional and less DOS-like but that's just me. We're told the UI isn't the final version yet so I can't
post any screenshots but I think that what we have now is much better than the old style control buttons. It's more intuitive and the
game mechanics don't get in the way of game play as much anymore. It plays faster than the old version.

The naval rules in TOAW IV has opened up the possibility of naval scenario's now. PAW is fantastic. I love it. The map
is beautiful and it's definately turning out to be playable. Thomas always wins so I'm not sure how balanced it is yet but I've seen
Thomas win as either side. Make that both sides.

Bob Cross has been productive and has written some naval scenarios himself. They have proved more than useful in testing. Short
scenarios that stand on their own, not very balanced always. His Pearl Harbor scenario almost always ends with the Japs
winning, as you might imagine.

Things are looking up around here. I'm glad to be one of the playtesters and doing what I'm doing. Wish you were here.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/28/2016 2:38:28 AM >

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 40
RE: ETA? - 6/27/2016 9:29:10 PM   
lecrop

Great report thank you

Post #: 41
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 1:42:33 AM   
Meyer1

I have no problems with the waiting, well I do, but I can understand it. What I can't understand is this policy of radio silence, don't know what is suppose to accomplish.
Let the testers talk, let's hear about the new features, let's hear about the bugs too. Let us see the unfinished new interface, keep the interest alive in other people than the handful of old timers who check this forum.
Well, that's my opinion.

PS thanks to Bob, Fogger and Larry for the latest info.

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 42
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 2:20:32 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
I have no problems with the waiting, well I do, but I can understand it. What I can't understand is this policy of radio silence, don't know what is suppose to accomplish.
Let the testers talk, let's hear about the new features, let's hear about the bugs too. Let us see the unfinished new interface, keep the interest alive in other people than the handful of old timers who check this forum.
Well, that's my opinion.

PS thanks to Bob, Fogger and Larry for the latest info.

Do me a really big favor. Back me up with Tamas. I've been bugging him for some screen shots for a while now and it's a sore
subject, probably, for him. Send him an email and tell him what you've said here. He won't listen to just anybody evidently. You can
reach him here:

tamask@slitherine.co.uk

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 43
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 7:51:11 AM   
Crossroads

Best wishes from me too, certainly!

Post #: 44
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 8:51:50 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads
Best wishes from me too, certainly!

Thanks for your support. Here's that address
in case you need it for anything:

amask@slitherine.co.uk

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 45
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 11:06:00 AM   
Crossroads

Certainly Larry! As for your PR policy I am calling "Switzerland", as I am part of the Campaign Series dev team so will let you guys sort out yours while we keep to ours

Post #: 46
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 12:57:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

As for your PR policy I am calling "Switzerland", as I am part of the Campaign Series dev team so will let you guys sort out yours while we keep to ours

Okie dokie, no problemo. Thanks for dropping by.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 47
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 1:34:10 PM   
Crossroads

Sure. You get it finished I will buy it

Post #: 48
RE: ETA? - 6/28/2016 2:07:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Sure. You get it finished I will buy it

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. And thanks for dropping by.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 49
RE: ETA? - 6/29/2016 1:41:17 AM   
fogger

You will not be sorry. When it (TOAW 4) is finished it will be great. it is great now except for a minor bug which we cannot talk about (NDA)

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 50
RE: ETA? - 6/29/2016 4:37:42 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

I already did. It was called Operational Art of War III.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 51
RE: ETA? - 6/29/2016 5:50:22 AM   
FF_1079

quote:

For your information there were 9 updates in April, 5 in May and 2 so far in June. Things are happening.

I think this is good information, and it would have been great that once at the end of each of those months if someone had taken 5-10 minutes to post about the updates and roughly what they covered. A screenshot of a map and units - zoomed in to avoid the UI ( if that is the main objection ) would also be nice. That's the entire point of my posts, share some info, and keep us informed ( at least those that are interested ). I can't for the life of me see how people construe that as being negative.

Thanks for the scenario update Larry, it sounds a little bit like the old DOS version of Pacific War, a game I played through a bunch of times before I had kids.

< Message edited by FF_1079 -- 6/29/2016 6:00:04 AM >

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 52
RE: ETA? - 6/29/2016 3:03:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: FF_1079

A screenshot of a map and units - zoomed in to avoid the UI ( if that is the main objection ) would also be nice.

You're presuming that the map and counter artwork is finished.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 53
RE: ETA? - 6/29/2016 3:04:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

It was never released with known bugs.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 54
RE: ETA? - 6/29/2016 11:36:13 PM   
FF_1079

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
You're presuming that the map and counter artwork is finished.

No, I wasn't presuming that, I was presuming that some work had been done on it, enough to give people a taste of what was to come. The Sistine Chapel did not have to be finished to give people some idea of how epic it would be, here is hoping the map and counter art progress a bit more quickly than it did.

Well, I will leave you guys alone to do what you feel is best, Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa comes with a side project, Decisive Campaigns: Community Project that is an operational level game design system using the DC2 engine currently. The people have done quite a few scenarios that look interesting and the Steam summer sale has DC:B 20% off. It's not TOAW IV, but it is available and being actively updated and developed.

< Message edited by FF_1079 -- 6/29/2016 11:43:01 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: ETA? - 6/30/2016 4:17:52 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

quote:

It was never released with known bugs.

Yup. That is correct. And the next iteration will also be released with no known bugs. Knowing gamer's penchant for doing unseen things I'm sure there will be bugs.

What you guys don't seem to understand is that all of us KNOW the game isn't complete. If it was it would be on our hard drives. Knowing that we would also understand that any material we saw would be of an incomplete product. Evidently we must be seen as complete morons because we obviously don't understand that.

Do you have any idea of what some screen shots and a little news now and then would do for the people waiting for this? Hell, there might even be more traffic on the TOAW forum. Let Larry do it. I'm sure he would love to. Keep him on a short leash or long leash or no leash. But do something.

Post #: 56
RE: ETA? - 6/30/2016 4:29:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Let Larry do it. I'm sure he would love to.

I was thinking maybe an AAR about the new naval rules demonstator,
the scenario Pacific At War. It could demonstrate the new naval
rules and provide some screenshots and I'm thinking it just might
increase the traffic around the TOAW IV forum.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 57
RE: ETA? - 7/2/2016 8:29:36 AM   
Zap

quote:

You will not be sorry. When it (TOAW 4) is finished it will be great. it is great now except for a minor bug which we cannot talk about (NDA)

I'm one of the rare birds that never owned the game but am very interested in the proposed IV. I have made it my policy to not jump in and just purchase a game. Time tested and acclaimed games are now my battle cry. This, with its improvements I hope will fulfill my expectations on the fun level. And just enough complexity to make me happy

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 58
RE: ETA? - 7/2/2016 10:00:26 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

And just enough complexity to make me happy

Are you a WITP-AE player as well? TOAW IV doesn't have that much complexity. In fact TOAW IV is just about right
I'd say. I play all kinds of games but I keep coming back to TOAW. It's got the detail I need in a game but no more. It's not
simple by any means but I get the impression that not much has had to be adstracted. The weapons employed in a battle are
necessarily variables to consider when resolving combat, so it's got at least that much detail. Weather matters. Terrain matters.
It's all there to consider. I love it. I'm playing Thomas Harvey in a PBEM of the Pacific At War scenario and the new naval rules
has made TOAW a new game. I'm having a blast playtesting it. I think you'll like it. I do.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 59
RE: ETA? - 7/2/2016 11:22:54 AM   
Zap

quote:

quote:

And just enough complexity to make me happy

Are you a WITP-AE player as well? TOAW IV doesn't have that much complexity. In fact TOAW IV is just about right
I'd say. I play all kinds of games but I keep coming back to TOAW. It's got the detail I need in a game but no more. It's not
simple by any means but I get the impression that not much has had to be adstracted. The weapons employed in a battle are
necessarily variables to consider when resolving combat, so it's got at least that much detail. Weather matters. Terrain matters.
It's all there to consider. I love it. I'm playing Thomas Harvey in a PBEM of the Pacific At War scenario and the new naval rules
has made TOAW a new game. I'm having a blast playtesting it. I think you'll like it. I do.

Yes, I think the sweet spot for me is a level or two below WITP-AE

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: ETA? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI