Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some doubts on how campaigns work

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Some doubts on how campaigns work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some doubts on how campaigns work - 4/13/2003 3:19:29 AM   
Nuclear Winter

Hello folks!
After being given some hints to buy some M10´s, I got a doubt:
In a campaing,You can fix and substitute your units with those permanent points, right?
well, my question is, can you buy new core units with that points?
And also, I noticed that clicking on preferences allows you to change nationality, so I ended up substituing my .30 machinegun by a Stug ! This doesn´t sound much real... can someone explain it to me ?
Also, how does reinforcements affect your final score, and how are those points calculated ?
Thank you guys!have a nice day!
Nuclear Winter
Post #: 1
- 4/13/2003 4:28:02 AM   
Goblin

No, you cannot purchase new core units.

Remember, the StuG will still have a high infantry command, and a low armor command, because it started out as a foot unit. You can buy other Nation's equipment to simulate captured stuff. If you were the Germans and had a battle where you overran 10 of their 107mm mortars, you might upgrade two of your afterwards to simulate some were captured and put to use. You can also do it just for fun. The unit should at least be switched for a similar class of unit. Foot for foot, vehicle for vehicle, arty for arty, etc.

You can get up to 20% of your points for reinforcements, in up to three groups of them (totalling that 20%). If you started with 1000, you could order a total of 200 reinforcement points in one order, or spread out over two or three total. The enemy gets 25% of whatever you call as victory points (in this case 50), then gets points normally for destroying them.

Goblin

(in reply to Nuclear Winter)
Post #: 2
- 4/13/2003 7:17:37 AM   
Nuclear Winter

So this means that if you don´t get your reinforcements destroyed too badly then you loose no points?
And, now that it is already done :D is there any way for me to make those Stug guys get better at tank comanding?

Post #: 3
- 4/13/2003 7:21:17 AM   
Nuclear Winter

Also, does this means that I should buy lots of cheap stuff in hte first scenario of a campaign so that I can upgrade them to good stuff later?

Post #: 4
- 4/13/2003 8:06:30 AM   
Goblin

Your opponent gets 25% of the value you call in, regardless of a win or loss. If you called in 2000 points of reinforcements, he gets 500 points, even if they don't see fighting. If he destroys them, he gets the normal points for destroying them, AND the 500 points too.

Your StuG will gradually gain skill in armor. Not the best, but he will.

We have all ended up buying lots of cheap stuff and upgrading later. It is fun, but you will get bored. That said, we all still do it, lol. If you want Mech Inf later on, by Motorized Infantry now, because trucks are cheaper, and can upgrade to halftracks, etc, etc.

If you have a hundred or so points that you are not sure about, buy a couple of scout car units to change to tanks later, or something along those lines. There is no set formula for this game. If you have fun doing something, keep doing it!

Goblin

Post #: 5
- 4/13/2003 10:23:03 AM   
Irinami

Mule Packs make good round-out purchases to turn into armour later. Light Cavalry and Motorcycles are cheap enough and come with the built-in Company formations (though you can fake this) that make them decent first-purchases too. For Arty, try Light Mortars, ATG's, Field Guns, or AAA--if you have .30-cal AAA, they'll probably be the cheapest Arty unit you can buy. I have a post floating around about making your own companies, from the last month.

Caveat Emptor: My first Long-WWII campaign I had roughly a freaking Brigade of equipment--around 10-12 companies. I had a high point limit and did some of these tricks. After four weeks of heavy gaming, I'd gotten through five battles. Bigger core's make for longer games.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

Post #: 6
- 4/13/2003 11:02:07 AM   
Nuclear Winter

IN the lon, long road to victory I did the mistake of buying few units with good capacities (infantry of rangers and engineers, no regular rifle corps) and I believe I´ll be stuck with a small bunch of guys till the end of the road... oh well, at least I learned a lesson!:rolleyes:

Post #: 7
core upgrades - 4/13/2003 7:25:51 PM   
robot

I play a lot of the long campaigns. My initial force is always green. Allows me to buy more, and i buy cheap to start. My points on first battle is usually in the 3000 range. My first tanks are pz 35s with 221 armored cars. Motorized infantry 75s for artillery and so on. After core is bought i then use the rest of purchase points to by 221 cars and such. These i upgrade later to stugs,flame throwers,Tank bustersand so forth. My 75 howetzers are upgraded later to self propelled. This is the way i do and it makes me happy. Any way you do it and it makes you happy is the right way. That is the only right way in this game. As you play you learn what you like and what you dont like.
For me i like the sound of the motor cycles and the looks of the little white chutes as they drop. So i use them in a lot of my battles. If i lose so be it. Its a game and is here for me to enjoy mnot to be board with. I like the pumas and the big guns sound too. Dont use a lot of 88s tho for some reason. Maybe its because the little 37s hide so much better.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Post #: 8
- 4/13/2003 8:21:41 PM   
Goblin

Robot, I like the new look...:)

Goblin

Post #: 9
new look - 4/13/2003 9:15:30 PM   
robot

Thanks goblin: Are you goin to change your look. Lots of neat avatars on that link. Thanks go to challanger for the help gettin mine on.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

Post #: 10
- 4/15/2003 2:14:07 AM   
Griefbringer

Yep, you cannot take additional core troops in a campaign, I found it out hard way. However, if you want a biger force take some platoons of cheap stuff (like cheap armoured cars, trucks, or scouts) and upgrade them later on.

However, big core forces make the games long and less interesting (in a smaller force you get more attached to your troops), I also found this out hard way in a recent long WWII campaign that I started playing with Brits - playing with 40 Cromwells zooming around the battlefield and kicking the Germans around gets a bit boring after a while. It is just so much more interesting to play campaigns with a smaller, more hard pressed force, when each fight is a challenge and you don't get points to buy all those neat new toys after the battle.

I just started playing again the Utah to Rhine campaign, but this time with a force of mechanised infantry and no tanks (only half-tracks and some Grayhounds) to make it more interesting. I finished the first scenario yesterday, and it was pretty exciting how those little infantrymen would do against the enemy armour - which proved to be pretty well!

Griefbringer

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Some doubts on how campaigns work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI