Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Active Sonar sub detection...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Active Sonar sub detection... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/2/2016 11:11:11 PM   
Rhygin00

...does not seem to reflect the angle of the target.

See attached file. One Oscar is angled bow on, one is angled beam on. The 688(I) have active sonars on and are running towards them. Let the sim run, the detection should happen after a couple of minutes. The 688(I) detect both Oscars at the same distance.

I have noticed that as weapon hits are concerned, ships are circles with a diameter corresponding to their length. I tested this with BOL torpedo shots. Is it the same with active sonar?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/2/2016 11:18:34 PM   
mikmykWS

Not sure how much it matters but will let the guys take a look

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to Rhygin00)
Post #: 2
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/3/2016 2:25:12 AM   
Rhygin00

Well given that the Oscar return from bow on is 40 db while it is 300 db from the side it might influence detection ranges. Some more tactical concerns for sub drivers and sub hunters, buoy droppers etc.

I actually remade this test from a guy on Youtube, FPSchazly, who did this lately with Dangerous Waters from Sonalysts as a test of the sonar model there. In Dangerous Waters detection ranges are somewhat larger, 15nm from bow, 20 from the side, although this looks like it's too much.

Fun fact: In Command even your active detection range depends on the speed ownship is going. At 5 knots the 688 detects at 10nm, at 10 knots the distance is 8 nm. And at full throttle 32 knots total cavitation you don't detect anything at all!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 3
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/3/2016 1:47:37 PM   
Lowlaner2012

I have been thinking about this and have a theory, I may be wrong so humor me

Maybe the reason that the 688 can detect the Oscar from head on and the side at the same range is because its active sonar system is good enough to do so, where as a poorer quality active sonar system would detect the Oscar from the side at a longer range but have a harder time detecting and identifying the head on Oscar till its closer.

Do you get what I mean?

< Message edited by highlandcharge -- 7/3/2016 1:55:38 PM >

(in reply to Rhygin00)
Post #: 4
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/3/2016 2:15:04 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: highlandcharge

Maybe the reason that the 688 can detect the Oscar from head on and the side at the same range is because its active sonar system is good enough to do so, where as a poorer quality active sonar system would detect the Oscar from the side at a longer range but have a harder time detecting and identifying the head on Oscar till its closer.

Do you get what I mean?

Yeah that is kind of my thought too. Its not like passive. It just gets a hit!

Anyways as I mentioned guys will take a look. Maybe we're doing it wrong.

Mike

(in reply to Lowlaner2012)
Post #: 5
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/3/2016 11:30:59 PM   
Rhygin00

quote:

Do you get what I mean?

I thought so too at first but I don't think that's it. Detection range depends on how large the return echo is, and larger objects "intercept" and then reflect back more energy as far as I understand physics. It should be similar to in game radar, which does have different returns depending on the angle.

Post #: 6
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/3/2016 11:51:27 PM   
Lowlaner2012

Hmm interesting, I guess we wait for the devs verdict

(in reply to Rhygin00)
Post #: 7
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/4/2016 3:27:23 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhygin00

quote:

Do you get what I mean?

I thought so too at first but I don't think that's it. Detection range depends on how large the return echo is, and larger objects "intercept" and then reflect back more energy as far as I understand physics. It should be similar to in game radar, which does have different returns depending on the angle.

ok

(in reply to Rhygin00)
Post #: 8
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/4/2016 3:27:42 AM   
mikmykWS

quote:

Hmm interesting, I guess we wait for the devs verdict

You might be waiting awhile. We've got some critical stuff going. Will make sure the devs see it though.

Mike

< Message edited by mikmyk -- 7/4/2016 3:34:36 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Active Sonar sub detection... - 7/4/2016 10:05:32 AM   
Lowlaner2012

Thanks Mike..

If I get the time I may run a test tonight, just to see if there is any difference in detection ranges against targets at different angles with an older less capable active sonar system...

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> Active Sonar sub detection... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI