Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to deal with coastal defense units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> How to deal with coastal defense units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to deal with coastal defense units? - 4/14/2003 2:25:25 PM   
rkr

While planning an invasion how do you neutralize CD units? I usually add few cruisers to my transport TF so it'll fire back, but I still get lots of damaged transports. Would making a transport TF consisting of only fighting units do the trick. It's a bit frustrating when there's a juicy base with only few infantry units but several CD units. You can take it but half of your transports would require R&R afterwards.

If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!
Post #: 1
- 4/14/2003 7:02:23 PM   
Feinder

Very large guns.
-F-

Ok, smart-a$$ remarks aside.

Make a separate bombardment TF of CAs and BBs. They can stand out of range of the CD units, and pummel them to goo.

Mixing in DDs and DMS (if you're USN), isn't a bad idea, in case there are subs or mines lurking about, but be aware that CLs and DDs can be torn up by CD units ( their lighter armor, and same caliber guns as the CD units means they have to comewithin range to engage).

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to rkr)
Post #: 2
- 4/14/2003 9:36:25 PM   
Deathifier

I found some intense bombing raids also help, as if you can increase the units fatigue/disruption it won't fire at you much (if at all).

Unfortunately you can't tell how effective raids are, however the number of men killed (even with FOW) tends to be a good indicator, even if they don't directly hurt the CD unit.

- Deathifier

(in reply to rkr)
Post #: 3
- 4/14/2003 10:33:28 PM   
rkr

So if I attach a bombardment TF to my invasion fleet it will fire back when shore batteries are firing at my transport TFs and troops? It should propably be set on follow TF / patrol?

If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right!

(in reply to rkr)
Post #: 4
- 4/14/2003 10:35:24 PM   
Chiteng

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rkr
[B]So if I attach a bombardment TF to my invasion fleet it will fire back when shore batteries are firing at my transport TFs and troops? It should propably be set on follow TF / patrol? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well for myself, They never seem to harm anything but transports.
Bomb them from CV.

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to rkr)
Post #: 5
- 4/14/2003 11:44:31 PM   
Mr.Frag

Note:

CD guns are only subject damage during port air attacks. Airfield attacks will not hurt them.

Bombardment missions with large vessels (BB/CA) is the most effective method of putting them out of commission. Watch including smaller ships as the shorter range guns will pull the TF closer to the CD unit, allowing it to fire back and damage your attacking ships.

(in reply to rkr)
Post #: 6
- 4/15/2003 12:17:32 AM   
Feinder

Some clarification in the interest of killing as many of your enemies as possible.

The "ideal" island invasion fleets (mind you it never works out this way, esp against a human opponent).

Assumptions for worst case :
a. You're playing against a human player.
b. Your opponent has a size 2 or greater AF at the hex, and potentially more nearby.
c. He has mined the hex you intend to invade.
d. He has subs and or surface units in the hex you intend to invade.

You should, of course, knock the crap out of every AF within range that could interdict your party. You'll also want to bomb the port of your intended target, to help disrupt those CD units, and close his port (to slow down his resupply).

Then, the following TFs would be just peachy :
TF 1 - Your invasion TF. Your transports with DDs and MSW.
TF 2 - CV TF. Your carriers to help provide CAP, kill enemy TFs in the area, and to serve as bait for his airstrikes.
TF 3 - Bombardment TF. BBs, CAs, and a DMS or two.

Send TF 3 in to shoot the place up for about a week. Having only CAs and BBs, means your TF will stand out of range of CDs (I've never seen a DMS get hit by a CD gun, so I don't think they participate in bombardment attacks).

TF 2 stands off by about 4 hexes, or whatever your risk factor is. These guys can actually be just on naval attack / rest. You don't really need to hit his base with these guys if you've got enough land-base firepower, and I'm not very satisfied with carrier-based planes comparative adaquacey at bombing land targets. Having your carrier planes fresh and ready to kill any enemy TFs that might show is a good thing.

On the bloody day, set your bombardment TF to "Patrol / Do Not Retire" (and switch them Surface Combat, but make sure they actually have ammo, bombardment TFs go thru it quick); then send in TF 1 (your invasion TF). By then, you should have neutralized the CD units, and your invasion TF won't have to worry about them. But now you've also converted your BB/CA TF into surface combat, which will (hopefully) help to screen off any enemy surface groups coming to spoil your fun. Naturally, if no enemy TFs show up, you can continue to bombard the enemy.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to rkr)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> How to deal with coastal defense units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI