Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How to be successful in hard mode?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> RE: How to be successful in hard mode? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/8/2016 7:16:02 PM   
Twigster

quote:

This is pretty significant for close fights, which is why I'm considering putting a single weapon on my transports and setting them to defend, in the hope that after they drop off their troops and hang out over the colony, they'll provide the bonus without needing my military ships to sit on the planet too.

My experience has been that, if armed, transports will go snipe hunting as well after dropping their loads on the planet. I will try to remember to order the transports back out of the system after their drop so that I just don't have to worry about them being damaged/destroyed or doing their own thing while the fight is still in progress.

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 61
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/8/2016 8:09:30 PM   
Bingeling

That is where the non-troop-carrying fleet leader comes into play. He sits in a safe spot, the transport attacks and move to leader once they have no order. No need to pay attention to them leaving, they will head for their leader on own initiative.

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 62
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/9/2016 4:23:54 PM   
Damiac

Right, that is a handy thing to do, and I do take advantage of it from time to time. It also comes in handy for mine busting, since you can tell the fleet to kill one mine, then give individual orders to other fleet members to kill nearby ones. After they finish, they'll come back to the leader. That only works if there's only 1 mine in the system, or if you assign at least 1 ship per mine.

But, having the transports go home immediately after dropping would defeat the purpose of having them act as space superiority support on the planet. What I'm describing is a situation where the enemy has no real space threat left, but has enough freighters and lone military ships that he can keep your fleet distracted enough to keep leaving the gravity well of the planet you're invading. However, if the transports are going to leave and shoot at stuff even if I put them on defend mode, then that idea isn't going to work anyway...

I tried out death rays on some capital ships... wow they're useless. They just never hit anything, somehow even missing spaceports! I guess maybe if I had captains/fleet leaders with a lot of weapons accuracy bonuses or something maybe they could work. Devastator pulses are dangerous to your own ships, but at least they actually do something!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 63
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/9/2016 7:14:09 PM   
Bingeling

If you have issues with those freighters, realize it may be due to your behemoth style ships. 7 attackers to bust mines, blockade, and kill stray freighters?

How about adding some blockade fleets of smaller ships, then the big guys can move on. Let the transports do what they are made for, transport. With guns you risk them joining any fight, even when not wanted, and get their experienced troops killed.

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 64
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/11/2016 2:29:27 PM   
Damiac

This game has progressed a bit further, although it's been a bit slow going. Save time is getting pretty long...

I've grabbed 4 independent worlds that had just become empires, and a couple of pirate worlds. On top of that I've been wiping out pirates all around me. My empire is a bit sprawled out at the moment, so I've got a LOT of surface area for pirates to harass. But, after a bit of work I've got all my colonies free of pirate bases for the first time in a really long time. I've got defense bases up over all my colonies, and have thinned out most of the pirates enough that they don't just overwhelm my defenses. I lost a surprising amount of ships busting pirate bases, there were a few that had incredible amounts of shielding, as well as giant fleets with gravity weapons. I was very happy to get robotic repairs researched...

While cleaning up the pirates around me, I managed to steal the second level of dhaayut hyperdrives, which was sorely needed after my empire expanded to become so wide. I wish the automatic designer would realize it's better than an equinox hyperdrive, which it insists on putting into my designs...

I've gotten both the economic wonders built, and secured both korriban spice and zentaba fluid, which has been a boon! My top three worlds are at max population, with regional capitals. I found the archive base and got the way of the ancients government, as well as some other nice techs. My homeworld is so happy I can have 100% tax and still have a smiley face! After noticing I didn't have the biggest military in the galaxy, I bought 25 size 1100 cruisers, and 5 capital ships with ultra long range scanners to go with them. After all that, I have about 700k revenue, with something like 100k bonus income. I've been rushing research constantly, and I've got about 7 million in the bank.

For some reason, a pretty weak empire has been making trouble with me while I try to push these pirates back. They keep colonizing in the cracks in my territory, then get mad at ME for intruding on their territory. For some reason they decided to blockade a nearby colony of mine. They imposed trade sanctions on me as well. After I invited them to leave the system with some torpedos they backed off, but then started blockading a resort base of mine that was now in their territory. Not wanting a war at the moment, I decided to make nice, and gave them the resort base in exchange for a mining base in my territory, and for ending the trade sanctions.

At this point I've pretty much pushed the pirates out of my territory, but there's still lots of them in other empire's territory nearby. I could easily afford another 30 ships, giving me 5 more crusher fleets.(Thanks for the name Bingeling, I always use crusher fleets and strike fleets after your AAR) It might be smart to start building up ground forces again, at the moment I've probably got roughly 2,500k strength of ground troops available. I have researched special forces, so I should be able to handle some of the more entrenched enemies.

Although I probably have this game won, if the 2 or 3 other top empires ganged up on me I'd be in trouble, especially if they managed to invade one of my big worlds.

As a side note, adding a single gun to my troop transports did work as far as getting the 25% space control bonus when invading, but as bingeling warned, even when they're on defense they like to go hunting, even chasing a pirate ship into a different system on one occasion! So probably better to just let a real war fleet handle the space control bonus, and let the transports just transport.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how death rays are supposed to be used. They can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn...

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 65
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/11/2016 11:50:15 PM   
Aeson

quote:

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how death rays are supposed to be used. They can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn...

In my opinion, Death Rays are sort of a toy or trophy weapon. They look impressive, and when they hit they may even actually be impressive, but unless you're just looking to inflate your empire's firepower rating* they aren't really all that practical.

I'll add that I'm inclined to believe that the Death Ray is as accurate as standard blasters are, though I haven't actually done any tests to confirm that. The problem with Death Ray accuracy is more one of expectations than anything else - it's called a Death Ray, it's rated for 1800 damage per shot when the next-best blaster only manages 29, and it's an ancient superweapon that you cannot normally research, so of course it must be great, right? You're expecting ships to blow up, or at least suffer crippling damage, each time the Death Ray fires (note that this isn't a very reasonable expectation even if the Death Ray hits, particularly against large or advanced ships; I recall doing an armor penetration test with a Death Ray against a shieldless target with 50 Ultra-Dense Armor and only destroyed something like 17 plates with one hit - impressive, yes, but not nearly as good as that 1800 damage per shot might lead you to expect), and every time you see it miss, you're suffering a great deal of disappointment. On top of that, the Death Ray is heavily weighted towards the alpha strike. At only one 1800-damage shot every 8.5 seconds for 140 size invested, missing even a single shot hurts; standard blasters individually fire about four or five times in the time it takes to fire a Death Ray once, and on top of that you can pack somewhere around twenty of the standard blasters into the same space required for a Death Ray even if you add in an extra reactor to power the standard blasters, so in effect a ship armed with standard blasters fires somewhere around one hundred shots for every shot taken by a ship armed with a single Death Ray, if both ships spent about the same total size on weapons. I know which weapon's misses I'm going to notice more, whether or not the weapons have the same expected number of hits in N shots, and it's not the standard blasters.

*Death Rays offer the second-highest amount of firepower for the size invested into weapons of all the weapons in the game, at about 12.9 firepower per size. Super Lasers are the only weapon to surpass this, at about 46.9 firepower per size invested; Derasian Shockwave IIIs come in third at 8.89, followed by Devastator Pulses at 7.05, Derasian Shockwave IIs at 6.67, Shaktur FireStorm IIIs at 5.17, Titan Beam IIIs at 4.83, Impact Assault Blaster IIIs and PulseWave Cannon IIIs at 4.40, Plasma Thunderbolt IIIs at 4.17, Derasian Shockwave Is at 4.11, and Titan Beam IIs at 4.00; everything else, unless I overlooked something, gives less than 4 firepower per size of the weapon.

Unfortunately, rated firepower is a somewhat deceptive number, as far as weapon performance goes; rated DPS per size invested places the Death Ray on par with the midgame Impact Assault Blasters and Shatterforce Lasers, with the endgame Titan Beams outclassing the Death Rays in DPS per unit size over much of the common range band even without upgrades and outranging it once the first upgrade has been developed, and that's before you start worrying about the distribution of expected DPS with a weapon that's so heavily weighted towards the alpha strike - a size-equivalent number of standard blasters will literally fire somewhere around one hundred shots in the same time that it takes a Death Ray to become ready to fire its second, and as a result the standard blasters are significantly more reliable than the Death Rays are, even if they're notionally equally accurate and have similar DPS/size and maximum range.

< Message edited by Aeson -- 7/12/2016 12:02:50 AM >

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 66
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/12/2016 1:31:24 PM   
Damiac

Well, I'm glad I tried them out, but I just can't imagine a realistic role for them to play. They're so big and demand so much energy you need good ship size to even think about using them, and if you've been researching weapons then you're probably better off just using whatever you've been researching. Maybe death rays are more useful if you set the ships for point-blank to get better accuracy? It's not like you can tell them to fire off a shot then warp out, which would be the ideal way to use the weapon.

Devastator pulses have slightly less impressive damage, but they actually seem to hit things...

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 67
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/13/2016 1:57:19 PM   
Damiac

Well, this thread has turned into a bit of an AAR, but whatever.

I continued cleaning up pirates, I think they're starting to get desperate for fuel in my region of space, because I keep finding them putting up 3 spaceports on top of gas giants near my systems at the same time. I'm blowing up construction ships left and right, and many of the troublesome pirate factions seem to be losing power.

Except for one. One pirate crew has 99800 firepower, more than any empire, and just knocked out a defensive base of mine with a giant swarm of tiny ships with ion weapons. Looking at the diplomacy report, they've got five bases that I know of. Thank goodness these pirates aren't well organized, because this crew could have taken over the galaxy with that kind of power. I will need to make those pirates a priority, before they get even more out of hand.

I noticed some other empires getting a little too close to my level of firepower, so I ordered up 45 size 1100 cruisers, 6 capital ships, and 6 troop transports. All told, it cost about 1 million credits, and added 160k maint cost, which wasn't even noticeable to my bottom line, due to the new colonies I've been picking up already at max population. I really should have revved up my war machine earlier, but having 1 million credits per year of income is really nice. But I've rushed all the research I need, and it's really time to cut down the competition.

Speaking of other empires, one of them is expanding wildly, like I mentioned before, colonizing in the cracks of my territory. They aren't really doing much of anything to actually defend those colonies though, and the pirates are building their networks on some of these colonies. Actually, it's happening in a lot of places, I think if it weren't for me the pirates really would take over the galaxy. And it's not really my fault, because unlike usual, I haven't been very warlike this game, I've still only fought with two other empires, and one of them asked for it when they picked the same flag as an enemy of mine from a previous game!

I've noticed something in this game I've never seen before, my taxes are having a noticeable impact on the private sector. Looks like there actually is a limit to how much you can tax them, even if you have enough happiness for it! My well armed mines also have something to do with it, I think. I might actually have to go and downsize the private sector mines and retrofit them, just to help the private sector have more income, so I can tax them for it. Seems a bit roundabout, but I am glad to see there's actually a limit to how much you can rob the private sector.

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 68
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/13/2016 2:26:50 PM   
Bingeling

You can always hope the pirates actually take control of those colonies around you. Then you can take them from the pirates, and they are yours. Without being at war, and without doing rude stuff outside of war.

If you are sprawled out and cover a lot of the galaxy, I see no reason why a powerful pirate factions should be allowed to exist. If you are not represented in a lot of the galaxy, there can of course be a crew "on the other side".

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 69
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/13/2016 3:47:52 PM   
Twigster

As reflected in my current AAR (as well as reported by others in the past)there are a LOT of Pirate factions and several are rather powerful. I am in a huge galaxy and am not even yet aware of all empires that exist, let alone the Pirate clans. Thanks to settings and difficulty level, this lends to a challenge I really enjoy- and don't always win.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 70
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/13/2016 4:21:33 PM   
Damiac

Right now I'm pretty well in control of the bottom right corner, which is virtually pirate free. I'm starting to think that annoying pink empire is letting the pirates refuel at their planets though... maybe that's sufficient cause to go to war with them. They're supporting terrorists! Probably paying them to attack me too, the bastards...

Part of the reason pirates are so out of control in this galaxy is that I've been much less aggressive about spreading my empire through war, so I simply don't have a presence everywhere. It seems like some of those pirates have gone pretty much unchecked, and while I'm pretty easily clearing them out now, there's a lot of them, and I can't be everywhere at once.

In other news, saving is taking forever... hopefully as I kill off some of these pirate crews it will get better, but I don't know that's actually how it works...

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 71
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/13/2016 6:12:36 PM   
Bingeling

It should be easy enough to clear them in your surroundings, if you can afford a decent military. Just hunt their bases, build mines on fuel sources.

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 72
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/18/2016 2:23:21 PM   
Damiac

The pirates have been largely pushed out of my territory, although they still come and harass my border worlds from time to time. The pirates have been taking planets like crazy, something I haven't seen in previous games. However they've gone from major problem to annoyance, and their bases are mostly behind a few layers of other empire's worlds, so I have decided it's time to do something about a rival empire.

The Myrcyr empire has a much larger economy than me (but a smaller population, how does that work?) They also are quite close to me in military strength, which I do not like. So I decided to buy 50 large cruisers and 8 capital ships, and a few troop transports. They have a few colonies separated from the main body of their empire, and a large clump of colonies at the bottom of the galaxy.

In a coordinated strike, 4 15 ship fleets were destroyed or gravely damaged to prevent counter strikes, then the orbital facilities of the Myrcyr homeworld, a regional capital, and several outlying colonies were destroyed. I then declared war. The pudires paradise was apparently an ally of the Myrcyr, and declares war against me in retaliation. Troops were landed on several minor colonies, as well as a regional capital. After a very tough fight, the regional capital was taken!

The Pudires seem to be uninterested in an actual fight, so I destroyed some of their bases nearby, crushed several of their fleets, and then gave them a choice between destruction or subjugation. They chose wisely, allowing me to fully commit to the real war against the Myrcyr.

I decided to strike at their heart, and moved all available troops to their homeworld. All in all, I had about 5 million in troop strength, while their homeworld had 4 million. I landed all troops, including special forces, but despite my larger numbers and apparent strength advantage, as well as having the overwhelming odds advantage, my strength fell faster than theirs, and when I saw their strength actually higher than my own, I realized this invasion was not going to succeed, and evacuated the remaining troops. This was an embarrassing defeat in what was meant to be the glorious ending to a short war. Nevertheless, the Myrcyr were in no shape to continue fighting, and gladly accepted an end to the war, although they refused subjugation.

I plan to replenish the small amount of military ships I lost, and recruit more troops. I now have a good staging area close to the Myrcyr capital, thanks to the regional capital I took, and I don't plan on giving the myrcyr much time to recover. I have learned my lesson about invading with close numbers, I will wait until I have double the troop strength for the next invasion, and this time I'll remember to bring a general or two along! I need to be careful about losing too many troops, as one of my racial victory conditions is to lose the least troops in the galaxy, worth 15%. As I require 90% of victory conditions to be met for victory, I need every little bit I can get!

< Message edited by Damiac -- 7/19/2016 1:37:13 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 73
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/18/2016 7:46:24 PM   
johanwanderer

I find that you need some 4x the amount of strength to invade a home world. Then again, I keep trying and failing with roughly 1.2 - 1.5x the strength in my current let's play. At the end, I decided to just start bombarding instead.

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 74
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 1:34:31 PM   
Damiac

Yeah... there's some hidden modifier or something, because most of the time, the side with the greater strength number wins, but once in a while it doesn't work out that way. Maybe you're right that it's a special property of homeworlds.

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 75
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 2:04:39 PM   
Bingeling

There is probably some random inside...

Having double (or better) power than defenders have always been my rule of thumb. Populations add a bit, and they can recruit a few forces too, during a long battle. Having 4X for a home world, as written above, seems quite sensible.

I also believe that troop count may matter a bit, although I have not studied it closely. "Many shoot at a few" vs "a few distribute fire of many" matters when it comes to reducing enemy power fast.

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 76
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 4:44:04 PM   
Twigster

I regularly win ground battles at home worlds at much less than 4-1 odds... which by the way can be economically unfeasible in large multi-front wars at Extreme difficulty level. The keys to understanding ground battles are amply provided elsewhere on this forum.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 77
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 9:05:12 PM   
Damiac

I think you might be onto something with the many vs few thing Bingeling. I was invading with pretty experienced troops, so I had a smaller number of troops who were individually strong. My opposition was probably mostly inexperienced soldiers, plus however the hell the civilians are represented.

Now, usually in a few strong vs many weak scenario, the strong are at an advantage, because each attack lowers the enemy's attack strength, while the strong troops can probably take a few attacks before dying.

However, where that doesn't work is when the strong troops are doing much more damage than the weak troops have health. It doesn't matter if each of my attacks does 500 damage if each enemy troop has only 100 life. So I'm wondering if it's an overkill scenario happening. But I have no idea whatsoever how ground combat actually works, I know the little troops each have readiness, which I think is also health... but I really don't know.

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 78
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 9:13:55 PM   
Bingeling

There is the detailed view, pay some attention to health movement. Also, just after matter, sort your troops by location and watch the "winning force" (not much point in doing that if you lose). Have they lost their health evenly, or did a few take the damage. I believe damage is evened out, but I am not sure.

I have never had "massively strong troops", but ground combat is attrition. You chip down the health of your opponent troops, each unit fires, probably at random. The damage is low compared to unit health.

If it is "evenly distribute chipping", it should not prevent the few strong from beating the more numerous weak.

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 79
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 9:21:12 PM   
johanwanderer

When you are invading, the planetary defense units get quite a few shots at the landing troops before they even hit the ground, so some of them may be severely injured by the time they started fighting. That makes the landing troop more fragile, as in they tend to get killed after just a few hits.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 80
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 9:54:37 PM   
Damiac

Hmm, good point about planetary defense units, I hadn't even considered that. That may actually explain this phenomenon, as lowered troop health probably isn't reflected in the overall strength view, but it would make perfect sense that my strength would drop faster than my enemy's if my troops are all at 3/4 health or something.

EDIT: Do planetary defense units get to hit each and every incoming troop, or can they be overwhelmed by dropping tons of troops at once?

< Message edited by Damiac -- 7/19/2016 9:59:47 PM >

(in reply to johanwanderer)
Post #: 81
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/19/2016 10:12:06 PM   
Aeson

quote:

EDIT: Do planetary defense units get to hit each and every incoming troop, or can they be overwhelmed by dropping tons of troops at once?

I believe that they can be overwhelmed by dropping a large number of units simultaneously or near-simultaneously.

(in reply to Damiac)
Post #: 82
RE: How to be successful in hard mode? - 7/20/2016 3:07:46 PM   
Damiac

Of course, I usually try to drop my troops pretty simultaneously anyway, as there's no reason not to, but I'll try being extra careful about it next time. I haven't gotten back to this game yet, so I have nothing new to add...

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 83
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> RE: How to be successful in hard mode? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI