Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rail Repair

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Rail Repair Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rail Repair - 7/26/2015 12:33:33 PM   
lhmg

I am playing the Road to Leningrad scenario and have figured out some of the basics but I dont seem to be able to do anything with the rail repair units. They go off on their merry way and I have had no luck in manually repairing rails. Can someone explain step by step how this works. I have read the rules several times but it doesnt coincide with what I see on the map . Thanks.

..."And to the Republic, for which it stands."
Post #: 1
RE: Rail Repair - 7/26/2015 1:15:43 PM   
loki100

the rail repair units are in two types.

one are support units allocated to HQs. If you fiddle endlessly with this you *might*, maybe, control where they go but the best is to let them roam at will. What they will do over time is to fill in the gaps in your rail network.

the one to look for is the FBD unit. You control where this goes and it should repair your main rail line, in this scenario up to Pskov and then to Leningrad.

it has to be a in a hex that needs to be repaired and is adjacent to one that is already repaired, you can then move down the line rebuilding the rail. You pay a movement point cost for entering a hex and then a variable repair charge per hex, but can often get 3-4 hexes done a turn.

repair is cheaper in the Baltic states as they retained the European standard narrow gauge compared to the wider gauge Soviet tracks.

(in reply to lhmg)
Post #: 2
RE: Rail Repair - 7/26/2015 4:51:48 PM   
Ranger33

Just started trying to play the game seriously after tinkering around with it forever. Did not realize that the FBD was manually controlled. Was wondering why my drive on Leningrad was sputtering out due to no units having supplies. Now I know!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Rail Repair - 7/26/2015 7:19:45 PM   
swkuh

Agree w/Loki100 for the most part, but might refine a bit and expand.

Repair cost is 3 points, except in Baltic as marked (just as Loki100 says,) where it is 1. AFAIK that is the only variance.
Line to be repaired must be preceded by functional rail hexes; if opponent manages to break the line at some point, then you must repair the break before using FBDs at the end of the rail hexes.
Display the rail lines to see this.
Watch for unexpected paths around a city where it may go around the city before through it.
The "uncontrollable rail bots" are issued from HQs that hold various forms of construction battalions; by assigning these Bns to various HQs you can get a little control over the process.
Assigning FBDs to the best rail path for the main effort is worth planning well.
4 rail bots in '41 and 5 in summer '42.

All said here is only for Axis. Others need say what'up for the Soviets.

Would be a game changer if Axis could buy more FBDs down the line.

< Message edited by rrbill -- 7/26/2015 8:24:57 PM >

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 4
RE: Rail Repair - 8/6/2015 3:56:22 AM   
folgra

After entering the hex to be repaired you need to click on the three letters on the lower right of the pop-up of the FBD unit. I don't have the game on my laptop and can't remember what the three letters are, just that the first is an R. Once the - appears, you can move into the next hex and do it again. When the space after the three letters doesn't change to a - when you click on the three letters, that is it for the turn. It took me a while to figure out how to make the rail hexes convert.

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 5
RE: Rail Repair - 7/20/2016 8:39:52 AM   
arksent

I figured out the rail repair however it is made more difficult by the fact that my "rail damage info" view (toggled by r key) only seems to work once per turn!!! Is it a bug? Anyone else seen this or is it just the way it works?

(in reply to folgra)
Post #: 6
RE: Rail Repair - 7/20/2016 8:46:13 AM   
morvael

In order for it to work you must have no unit selected (click on empty hex, then press R)

(in reply to arksent)
Post #: 7
RE: Rail Repair - 7/31/2016 10:46:41 AM   
arksent

Thank you v much.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 8
RE: Rail Repair - 7/31/2016 1:05:24 PM   
Peltonx

big part of game once you get to GC.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to arksent)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Rail Repair Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI