Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Land Artillery Bombardment Missions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Land Artillery Bombardment Missions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 7/31/2016 4:46:24 PM   
101Man

Thanks for your comments on my ARD thread...now to artillery...I have a group of about four Japanese units (1x Inf Div, 2x Inf Rgt, 1x Engineer) surrounded in north Malaysia(across from the Burma border). They are very strong and the units are not deprived yet of their own supply. My question is: would it be better to send in artillery regiments into the hex and constantly bombard, or send in the infantry on constant deliberate attacks to wear him down?

I am trying to limit my casualties but I want to reduce his original supply in the hex so I can eliminate the hex units later. I am patient as it is only May '43.
Post #: 1
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 7/31/2016 4:49:13 PM   
Yaab

If you put arty only in the hex and the Japs choose to counterattack with infantry, you will lose tons of guns.

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 7/31/2016 5:28:34 PM   
101Man

So, how about putting a British inf brigade in the hex to protect the three arty regiments...would that work?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 7/31/2016 6:42:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: 101Man

So, how about putting a British inf brigade in the hex to protect the three arty regiments...would that work?

You said the IJA units were very strong and still had supply. Unless the terrain is very favourable (Jungle Rough or Mountain or Heavy Urban) a brigade is not going to stand up to Japanese divisions until you wear them down. Bomb them first - for weeks. Or bring up a superior force and move in on them.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 4
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 7/31/2016 7:01:24 PM   
101Man

Do you mean aerial bombardment? Does that weaken them?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/1/2016 12:32:23 AM   
SheperdN7

quote:

answer is absolutely freaking yes. You're the allies and its '43... Bring in the knights of the sky, the RAF, USAAF, and pound the crap out of them. If you think they don't have AA batteries, send in low level close air support aircraft and rain Hades on your enemy!!

If they have artillery guns, the CAS planes will shred them and I'm speaking from experience (happens to me all the time)

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 6
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/1/2016 12:39:18 AM   
101Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

quote:

answer is absolutely freaking yes. You're the allies and its '43... Bring in the knights of the sky, the RAF, USAAF, and pound the crap out of them. If you think they don't have AA batteries, send in low level close air support aircraft and rain Hades on your enemy!!

If they have artillery guns, the CAS planes will shred them and I'm speaking from experience (happens to me all the time)

So, you are saying low-level CAS weakens units better than carpet-bombing B-17s + B-24s? Like is there a secret player guide someone created that addresses this? I have the one on ship repair 101.

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 7
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/1/2016 12:42:47 AM   
SheperdN7

More so its a combination of delivering ordnance AND strafing with guns. Higher accuracy from bombing low-level too.

quote:

Like is there a secret player guide someone created that addresses this?

As far as I know, not really.. There are aircraft mission coordination guides but I've never read one so I have zero clue on what they contain.

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 8
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/1/2016 5:06:43 AM   
Lokasenna

You should bomb them, regardless of whether it does any observable damage, because of the intangibles:

-Disruption
-Fatigue
-Morale
-Supply use (especially if they fire back at your planes)

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 9
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/1/2016 4:00:07 PM   
crsutton

Early on in the game system artillery was way overpowered. Now that has been fixed and they are just what they should be-support units. A surrounded unit depending on its strength and supply should be taken out using all your assets available. Look to use an equal number of infantry "supported" by artillery units. If the unit (s) are too strong then yes bombardment and air attacks will disrupt them and eat up supply. Once you suspect supply is low then use deliberate attacks to take them out. The deliberate attacks will use up more of their supply thus taking them out quicker and letting you go on to other things.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/1/2016 8:17:38 PM   
Andav

quote:

Like is there a secret player guide someone created that addresses this?

Look in the AAR section. There are a ton of secrets buried in there. I do not know how much witpqs is documenting in his AAR (Rumble in the Southwest) since I am on the other side but I can tell you he bombs and strafes and bombs and strafes some more all the time. Anything in an open ground hex gets pummeled. Hard targets get pummeled a lot more.

Wa

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 11
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/2/2016 1:29:01 AM   
BBfanboy

Agree with the "bomb and strafe" idea, but the fighters should first train to level 70 in Air skill (the primary mission) and by training at low level get at least 60 in Defensive skill (helps dodge flak and enemy fighters). Only then would I train them in LowG (at 1000' for the bombing) and Strafe (must be trained at 100 feet). Fighters with lots of MGs seem to do better against soft targets than those with big, slow firing cannons (like the Airacobra).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 12
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/2/2016 10:11:52 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Strafe (must be trained at 100 feet).

I do it at 1k all the time and it works.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/2/2016 10:19:23 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Strange, when I train at 1K I get gains in LowNav or LowGrnd not strafe.
In fact, this is the only elevation at which Low skills will increase.

I have to train at 100 ft to get gains in strafe

Hans

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 14
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/2/2016 11:03:04 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Strange, when I train at 1K I get gains in LowNav or LowGrnd not strafe.
In fact, this is the only elevation at which Low skills will increase.

I have to train at 100 ft to get gains in strafe

For fighters? Yeah, 1k always works for me. The other setting I use is sweep, don't know if that makes a difference.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 15
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 4:28:44 AM   
crsutton

Strafe is pretty much a wasted skill to train in. Under powered and the costs of attacking at low level is harsh even for strafers. It is the bomb that matters and does the killing-so train in bombing skills.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 16
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 4:52:12 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Strafe is pretty much a wasted skill to train in. Under powered and the costs of attacking at low level is harsh even for strafers. It is the bomb that matters and does the killing-so train in bombing skills.

To me its like a place holder... Something to do while I'm waiting for my guys who are training to get their defensive skills to rise, as def seems to take longer to develop than air skills. Notice I didn't say to get their defensive skills up I need to train in strafe. I just believe it takes longer to train defensive levels. For fighter pilots in the service of his Imperial Majesty I will not waste them on any other mission than opposing enemy air forces.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 17
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 10:41:53 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

For fighter pilots in the service of his Imperial Majesty I will not waste them on any other mission than opposing enemy air forces.

+1

Hard to find any IJ ac with DUR high enough survive strafing ... there are a couple, but only a couple models. Then it is hard to allocate air groups to those models and that role when you can use 2E's more effectively at 1000 ... so, for the IJ, I rarely use fighters. 2E's get low ground ... wish they had AB's to avoid the huge penalty, but no luck there ...

Pax

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 18
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 10:58:18 AM   
Yaab

For Japs it is either fighters or fighter/bombers. All level bomber get morale/bombload penalties when bombing from 100-1000 feet. The bombload penalty is obvious, but the morale penalty is often overlooked. Just run three missions with each aircraft type and you will see bombers morale melt with each starfing mission while F/FB morale drops gradually.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 19
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 1:31:42 PM   
m10bob

The best time to use artillery units is during sieges as the attacker.
Anytime you use artillery units, if they are forced to retreat, they will leave their guns behind and you will need to send that unit to the rear and place them on "rest" in order to acquire new guns.
As stated above...never but NEVER leave an artillery unit in a combat hex without grunts to protect them.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 20
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 3:33:21 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

This is true for attacking, but I am talking about training when I say 100' to train strafe. I usually train LowG first at 1000' and Strafe skill does NOT increase at that altitude.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 21
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 3:49:22 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

You have to choose the circumstances. I took a Japanese base in Malaya and kicked out the Japanese AF Unit that was there - into Jungle/Rough terrain.

I did not have the infantry units to spend two weeks marching into the hex to eliminate them, my bombers had other targets and there were very few enemy air attacks, so my three fighter squadrons (2XP-40E and 1X Hurricane IIc Tropical) had little to do (and no other location that had enough air support to go to). I had trained them in LowG and Strafe to broaden their experience.

So I put them to work on the AF Unit (Ground Attack, 1000'). They both bombed and strafed and at first there was little visible effect. But as their disruption rose and my fighters got more experience with this mode of attack, disablements began to appear and eventually those became destroyed squads and devices. It took about three weeks to completely eliminate a unit of about 2200 troops (mostly support/engineers). The unit was out of supply and there was no flak. I sent frequent recon (Hurricane PR - too short ranged to use anywhere else) to keep up the D/L for the attacks.

The fighter guys got a nice boost to their experience level and to their Defensive skill. And I did not have to worry about the homeless unit marching onto the rail lines.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 22
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 9:00:34 PM   
Yaab

A Jap BF would be a rough equivalent of Chinese infnatry - no proper AA weapons to speak of.They might have as well tried to shoot down the Allied aircarft by throwing coconuts at them.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Land Artillery Bombardment Missions - 8/3/2016 9:09:52 PM   
geofflambert

I did an image search looking for a Homer Simpson with slanted eyes, no luck. Anyways:

Chinese infantryman:

"Coconuts, mmmmmmmm!"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Land Artillery Bombardment Missions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI