Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 8:25:59 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

See the way the cursor is migrating to the north west in this clip? I'm not touching the mouse but it does this all the time now regardless of what window I'm in. It's doing it in WitP-AE as well. Anybody know what's causing it? I've tried rebooting a couple of times to no effect.

Yes. There are two things I have seen do this. One is a little tension on the mouse's cord, if it has one.

The other is some debris in or over the LED port on the underside of the mouse.

So I checked the mouse. There were a bunch of little hairs in there. I pulled them all out (had to use two different types of tweezers) but no luck. I unplugged the mouse from the PC, the cursor kept wandering, north by northwest. When it gets to the top of the screen it just goes west. Then when it gets to the left side of the screen, it just stops.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 691
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 8:31:15 PM   
geofflambert

I also made sure there was no woman standing on my desk whose dress the cursor might be trying to look up.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 692
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 8:41:43 PM   
geofflambert

Do you think the cursor might be trying to distance itself from me? I used deodorant this morning.

Post #: 693
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 8:48:57 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

I had thought we'd seen the last of the Swedish Bikini Team. I was wrong.

She can handcuff me anytime.

You might say she is an under-covered cop.

Yes, but these days, we need more transparency from our constabulary.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 694
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 9:03:10 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I rather ponder on something else.

Cows eat grass. Cows are ruminants. Mallards also eat grass. So should it follow that Mallards are ruminants?

OK, I see your point. Monarch caterpillars are insects right? They are supposed to have six legs, right? Instead, they have ten prolegs, six thoracic legs and four tentacles. What's up with that?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 695
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 9:40:19 PM   
scout1

Do Gorns molt ?

And if so, what does a Gorn do with its old skin ? Make shoes or a suitcase ?

Post #: 696
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 9:47:02 PM   
geofflambert

One of the ways we reproduce is by molting. We just hang up the rubber suit in the closet and the next morning it's gone! We don't talk about that around children.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 697
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 9:51:43 PM   
geofflambert

By the way, scout1. Seeing that you are from South Bend, I toured the Aker Plastics plant near there many moons ago and I must say, I was completely distracted by the women working in that factory. It was like the Barbie Doll factory was making Barbies. Not really, they were like what some would call "trailer trash" but they were smoking hot.

Post #: 698
RE: OT Things to ponder - 7/31/2016 10:10:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

See the way the cursor is migrating to the north west in this clip? I'm not touching the mouse but it does this all the time now regardless of what window I'm in. It's doing it in WitP-AE as well. Anybody know what's causing it? I've tried rebooting a couple of times to no effect.

Yes. There are two things I have seen do this. One is a little tension on the mouse's cord, if it has one.

The other is some debris in or over the LED port on the underside of the mouse.

So I checked the mouse. There were a bunch of little hairs in there. I pulled them all out (had to use two different types of tweezers) but no luck. I unplugged the mouse from the PC, the cursor kept wandering, north by northwest. When it gets to the top of the screen it just goes west. Then when it gets to the left side of the screen, it just stops.

Try downloading the latest driver for that brand of mouse. The upgrade to Win10 may have made the old mouse driver incompatible in some way.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 699
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 12:36:54 AM   
SheperdN7

This question has been on my mind for YEARS- If a Caucasian man is born in the Congo, then moves to the USA, is he considered an African-American?

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 700
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 1:10:17 AM   
geofflambert

We are all African Americans.

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 701
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 1:32:46 AM   
scout1

Do Gorn's have really cool looking sun glasses ...seeing as you don't like to lie on large warm rocks

Post #: 702
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 1:35:15 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

This question has been on my mind for YEARS- If a Caucasian man is born in the Congo, then moves to the USA, is he considered an African-American?

I knew a young man who was born in Zimbabwe and who "left for his health" after the regime change. In college he called him self a "African American". And took an unbelievable amount of crap for it. Like many words , it seems to mean only what the larger number of people SAY it means. As a child , I was told that I was a "Native American" because I was born here. Therefore a native. Then in the 1970's I was told I wasn't, because 5 or 6 generations ago my ancestors were born in Canada , or 5 or 6 before that Europe. Language is changeable . Versatile, and whatever the newest majority says it was.

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 8/1/2016 1:36:20 AM >

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 703
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 6:45:24 AM   
wdolson

For the mouse cursor, I googled "mouse cursor moving on its own" and it came up with thousands of links, many from forums and at least one YouTube video. There are lots of suggestions, I suggest trying the simple ones first and the more involved ones if they don't fix the problem.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 704
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 8:02:40 PM   
geofflambert

I've tried everything and no luck so far. It can't be the mouse itself as I've disconnected it and no help, uninstalled it and no help. I wonder if it's my dusty old keyboard sending cursor signals?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 705
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 8:04:37 PM   
geofflambert

I just unplugged the keyboard and it stopped! I plugged it back in and no more problem. Hooray!

Post #: 706
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/1/2016 8:48:57 PM   
Orm

Nice.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 707
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 12:48:19 AM   
SheperdN7

quote:

I knew a young man who was born in Zimbabwe and who "left for his health" after the regime change. In college he called him self a "African American". And took an unbelievable amount of crap for it. Like many words , it seems to mean only what the larger number of people SAY it means. As a child , I was told that I was a "Native American" because I was born here. Therefore a native. Then in the 1970's I was told I wasn't, because 5 or 6 generations ago my ancestors were born in Canada , or 5 or 6 before that Europe. Language is changeable . Versatile, and whatever the newest majority says it was.

Thanks sir

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 708
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 1:39:44 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I just unplugged the keyboard and it stopped! I plugged it back in and no more problem. Hooray!

Saaaaayyyy .... you must be the lizard from tech support who told me to just reboot whenever there was a problem! And when the computer would not reboot he told me to just pull the plug - the way you just did! He never did anything to help me avoid losing all the work I did before the computer glitch!
Seems like a Gornish idea of fun!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 709
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 1:56:25 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

quote:

Thanks sir

For what? Having my ancestors leave Canada? In truth I don't think it was by choice.

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 710
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 3:01:37 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Saaaaayyyy .... you must be the lizard from tech support who told me to just reboot whenever there was a problem! And when the computer would not reboot he told me to just pull the plug - the way you just did! He never did anything to help me avoid losing all the work I did before the computer glitch!
Seems like a Gornish idea of fun!

Say what you like, but you must admit that we gorn are more evolved than you thought.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 711
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 3:26:06 AM   
geofflambert

You know, there was this one time when I woke up one morning, or was halfway there, when I knew I had solved for the unified field theory. It was right in front of my eyes and I only needed to reach out and claim it. Somehow things became muddy and I could not find it anymore. Nonetheless, as I am a resolute and conscientious fellow, I have chosen to enter a sleep state each evening in the attempt to recreate the conditions whence I solved for the unified field theory. Without fail I have undertaken the rigorous preparations and have undergone the prescribed rituals of those who would know more. I have, not yet, any useful data to report, but I will advise you when I have accomplished my mission.

Post #: 712
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 2:43:46 PM   
Lecivius

Attachment (1)

Post #: 713
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 3:02:20 PM   
geofflambert

Some of you old timers remember a comedian by the name of Foster Brooks. Here is a sample of his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdKyqijLd6I

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 714
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 3:04:34 PM   
geofflambert

Anyways, Foster accompanied General Douglas MacArthur on a world tour. He kept whispering something in MacArthur's ear throughout the trip.
Do you know what it was?

" 'Hic' transit gloria mundi"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/2/2016 3:05:42 PM >

Post #: 715
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 4:20:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

No. It would be a 'Holy Tree'. Later on a minority claim it should be a 'Holy Fruit'. And for the sect members it is 'The Holy Berry'.

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/2/2016 4:24:23 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 716
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 5:57:57 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

quote:

No. It would be a 'Holy Tree'. Later on a minority claim it should be a 'Holy Fruit'. And for the sect members it is 'The Holy Berry'.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 717
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 6:04:05 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

You have to understand, Lecivius, Orm has his eyes glued to his binoculars observing the Swedish Bikini Team and doesn't have time to watch Batman.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 718
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 6:08:15 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You have to understand, Lecivius, Orm has his eyes glued to his binoculars observing the Swedish Bikini Team and doesn't have time to watch Batman.

Nah, I wouldn't need binoculars to watch them. Just need to go out. And it gets old fast. Life of Brian on the other hand...

Post #: 719
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 6:09:58 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nah, I wouldn't need binoculars to watch them. Just need to go out. And it gets old fast. Life of Brian on the other hand...

You're right, I would at least take a hand lens with me, though.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI