Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 7/24/2016 4:25:14 PM   
melnibonian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ginetto

Right click on the game icon. Go to properties and try the switches I'm using. One thing to avoid absolutely is autorun.exe after .....Edition. It should simply read ...Edition.exe" (remember to close quotes) and then continue with -dd_sw -f -px1600 -py900 -deepColor. The problem is that every machine has its own characteristics so the switch that works for one won't for another.

Thanks a lot for the help.

I tried a few different combinations and so far things look positive.

(in reply to Ginetto)
Post #: 271
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 7/28/2016 2:53:23 PM   
proflui

quote:

ORIGINAL: chemkid

@proflui - this is not a windows 10 problem - afaik for everyone using a larger game-window-size (eg fullscreen 1920x1080px) playing a scenario with 'smaller scenario boundaries than window-size' the jumping-map-problem appears. just lower your game-window size for playing a smaller scenario, or if not playing PBEM use the editor and change the scenario boundaries yourself...

remember, this game was made for a 1024x768px resolution/window-size - hd and widescreen support came later.

Thanks for the great help!

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 272
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/3/2016 8:03:49 PM   
apbarog

Thanks to all who have posted their Windows 10 experiences and solutions. Your pain was my gain. A small amount of fiddling with switches, and I'm good to go. Just read this thread, from beginning to end, and you will find your answers.

(in reply to melnibonian)
Post #: 273
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/10/2016 4:20:44 AM   
airdefender

I am still having trouble with this. I have tried adding the switches outside of the quotation marks and it makes no difference. I took out the autorun command and the program would not let me do it. It gives me an error message. Help. I am not that tech savy and this is my favorite game. I need step-by-step instructions with complete examples. Thank you.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 274
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/10/2016 6:23:45 AM   
wdolson

You don't need to delete the autorun, but you should be modifying and using the link for the game itself. Just ignore the autorun and don't use it.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to airdefender)
Post #: 275
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/10/2016 6:45:31 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: airdefender

I am still having trouble with this. I have tried adding the switches outside of the quotation marks and it makes no difference. I took out the autorun command and the program would not let me do it. It gives me an error message. Help. I am not that tech savy and this is my favorite game. I need step-by-step instructions with complete examples. Thank you.

See witpqs' post #39 in this thread. Similarly with any other issues you encounter on setting up and running the game on Win 10, this thread contains a plethora of explanations with pictures and samples.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 276
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/14/2016 5:22:51 PM   
airdefender

OK, I don't think you understood. I am not tech savy. I need a step-by-step walk thru. Under Properties/Shortcut/Target my line is "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -dd_sw -px1600 -py900 -deepColor

Also, between -dd_sw and -px1600 there is a little symbol that I don't understand. Is this correct? Are they in the right order? I copied and pasted it from another entry in this thread.
I am running in a normal window and no modifications to the compatibility. Are there other changes I need to make?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 277
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/14/2016 5:49:41 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

OK, I don't think you understood. I am not tech savy. I need a step-by-step walk thru. Under Properties/Shortcut/Target my line is "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -dd_sw -px1600 -py900 -deepColor

Also, between -dd_sw and -px1600 there is a little symbol that I don't understand. Is this correct? Are they in the right order? I copied and pasted it from another entry in this thread.
I am running in a normal window and no modifications to the compatibility. Are there other changes I need to make?

Change autorun.exe to War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe and that should fix it.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 278
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/14/2016 6:15:02 PM   
airdefender

When I do that I get a message screen "The name 'C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure path and file name are correct." I can ignore the message but this does not solve the problem. What am I missing?

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 279
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/14/2016 6:25:28 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

When I do that I get a message screen "The name 'C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure path and file name are correct." I can ignore the message but this does not solve the problem. What am I missing?

You've copied it wrong. There's no 's in the Target line.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -px1600 -py900 -deepColor

That is the proper command line

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 280
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/14/2016 6:46:49 PM   
airdefender

It will not let me make that change. I keep this error message "The target box in not valid etc."

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 281
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 8/14/2016 7:13:23 PM   
Sardaukar

Easiest is to make a new shortcut. Go to WitP-AE directory, right click executable and select "Send to desktop". Then open the new icon on desktop by right click and select properties. Then just add the switches.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 282
RE: Win10 issues - XP emulation software? - 1/15/2017 9:15:32 PM   
Ian R

Bump

WINDOWS XP ENVIRONMENT EMULATION

After trialing combinations of the various switches suggested here I can get the game running, but, unfortunately, after a while (3, 4 turns) the mouse click lag creeps back in. This happens less in a windowed mode, where the turn resolution is also quicker (specifically - the calculation of airzones phase), although the graphics are a bit splintered in that mode.

My computer specs are similar to m10bob's, that he described in one of these threads last year - in fact I have the same or very similar model HP desk top. Intel 2.41Ghz processor, 4 Gb RAM, more hard disk space than NASA circa 1975.

What has been suggested to me is to get Oracle's VirtualBox swoftware, dig an old XP installation CD out of a box somewhere - with the registration code needed - and set up a virtual XP environment to run in. Having run old Grigsby games in Doxbox for many years, I am familiar with the basic concept. The other suggestion was to use a 16GB flashdrive (or as big as needed) as an external hard disk running XP (still need the CD, rego numbers, etc) with AE and any associated programs installed on it as well, and boot that instead of windows 10 - sounds too difficult.

Three questions for the cognoscenti:

1) Has anyone tried it/ either of these approaches?

2) Is there some other emulator application that someone has tried, hopefully one that comes with a usable version of XP (or Vista) built in?

3)Did the game work better?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 283
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/28/2017 10:59:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

See witpqs' post #39 in this thread. Similarly with any other issues you encounter on setting up and running the game on Win 10, this thread contains a plethora of explanations with pictures and samples.

Without looking through 150+ posts, can someone point me towards a 'basic' windowed switch line for Win 10 running the game in my 'monitor #2' position? I'm running a 15" laptop and a spiffy 27" ASUS MX279 monitor. Obviously the latter would be for a better gameplay vantage

I recently purchased an ASUS i5 laptop (no Nvidia chip) with a mess of memory and hard drive space, running Windows 10. Did a clean re-install and patch update to the latest 1.01.24.

I'm a comparative Luddite, so if someone could speak slowly and with a low 'tech' vocabulary () that would be great. It's been 6 years since I've monkeyed with any of these settings-the last time was for my last computer, which is being 'retired'.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 1/28/2017 11:06:09 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 284
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/28/2017 11:09:36 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Without looking through 150+ posts, can someone point me towards a 'basic' windowed switch line for Win 10 running the game in my 'monitor #2' position?

I recently purchased an ASUS i5 laptop (no Nvidia chip) with a mess of memory and hard drive space, running Windows 10. Did a clean re-install and patch update to the latest 1.01.24.

I'm a comparative Luddite, so if someone could speak slowly and with a low 'tech' vocabulary () that would be great. It's been 6 years since I've monkeyed with any of these settings-the last time was for my last computer, which is being 'retired'.

I have never tried a multi-monitor setup, so I can't be any real help with that. But the first thing I would do is get it working as desired on *one* monitor, and only then try making the changes needed for the second monitor.

I have two shortcuts for Windows 10. One is for full screen, one is for windowed mode. I use the full screen for the combat resolutions, and windowed mode for entering orders. My Windows 10 laptop has a modest resolution screen, so you almost certainly have to change those settings.

I've never seen ghosting at the top of the screen like you mentioned in your PM, but still the first thing to do is get one screen working right then go from there. It might turn out that the graphics driver for the PC is an issue. Or, the "-dd_sw" switch noted below could be an issue (try having it and not having it).

Windowed, Windows 10:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -dd_sw -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2 -skipVideo

Fullscreen, Windows 10:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -d -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -dd_sw -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2 -skipVideo

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 285
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/28/2017 11:11:54 PM   
Chickenboy

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I will check these out later tonight and update.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 286
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 1:13:06 AM   
Chickenboy

Stupid question #1:

Under the properties menu, I put this line (verbatim, quotes and all) where?

Into the 'target' or the 'start in' sections of the (right click on start up icon) properties / shortcut menu?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 287
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 2:58:16 AM   
Chickenboy

Update:

My target line which seems to work fine and has resolved my scrolling and ghost text issues:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -px1600 -py900

Thanks for the help, my Argletonian colleague!

ETA: I just kind of 'shotgun' approached this. Which of these tags is likely unnecessary and can be 'dropped' from the target line? Do you think I need / do most need the -cpu2 or the -multiaudio tags?

Also, where is a 'menu' of tags for selection?

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 1/29/2017 3:00:42 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 288
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 3:29:20 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Update:

My target line which seems to work fine and has resolved my scrolling and ghost text issues:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -px1600 -py900

ETA: I just kind of 'shotgun' approached this. Which of these tags is likely unnecessary and can be 'dropped' from the target line? Do you think I need / do most need the -cpu2 or the -multiaudio tags?

I have never used the game's audio at all - I rename the sound folder to something else - so I can't comment on that one. The cpu2 (or cpu3, etc) just experiment with. Performance might be better with it or Without it. dd_sw you have to experiment with, it might affect performance but it might also affect proper graphics functioning. Same with deepColor (I found it necessary for performance on Windows 10). If you have any lag when entering orders that is where SingleCpuOrders might help.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 289
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 3:31:40 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Stupid question #1:

Into the 'target' or the 'start in' sections of the (right click on start up icon) properties / shortcut menu?

Obviously you figured out this one: it goes in the "Target" box. The "Start in" box is the location that the operating system will pass to the program as (more or less) "you are running here", which is needed so the game knows how to navigate to find all the files it needs (scenario, graphics, etc.).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 290
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 12:54:49 PM   
Chickenboy

So that I can monkey around with the switches menu, witpqs-do you have a citation / location for it?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 291
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 12:56:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Stupid question #1:

Obviously you figured out this one: it goes in the "Target" box. The "Start in" box is the location that the operating system will pass to the program as (more or less) "you are running here", which is needed so the game knows how to navigate to find all the files it needs (scenario, graphics, etc.).

Yes. Eventually I found this discussion in this thread. Along with the discussion about the fact that the executable doesn't have an apostrophe 's' in Admiral Edition. I thought that must be a typo the first two times I tried to run it. Your exhortations / reminders about persnickety caps/spelling/symbols in the switches was...well...'timely'.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 292
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 12:59:30 PM   
Chickenboy

Is 1600 x 900 the maximum supported resolution?

Strike that. Is 1600 x 900 the most CPU satisfying, non-grinding, realistic for most systems, unlaggy maximum supported resolution?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 293
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 2:03:26 PM   
BBfanboy

My 18" wide (not diagonal) screen works well with 1920X10802, 60 Hz refresh.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 294
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 2:34:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

My 18" wide (not diagonal) screen works well with 1920X10802, 60 Hz refresh.

I use 1920x1080 for the full screen switch on my desktop (which is Windows 7 = why I didn't post those switches). But I recall seeing some players post here that they have gotten much higher resolutions to work on some newer monitors, although not all the way up to some of the highest resolution monitors out there.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 295
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 1/29/2017 3:09:58 PM   
Chickenboy

Just got 1920x1080. Purty.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 296
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/20/2017 12:39:31 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Update:

I've been having the slowness since installing on win 10 and just tried the switch -deepColor and assigning the game to a different cpu (cpu2 for me) and now
it is running smoothly like it did in the old days... Thank you so much. This thread should be stickied so everyone with Win 10 can see it easily. I just started
a PBeM and was dreading doing my turns as every click had a 2-5 second wait and it was horrible.. Now I am excited for my next turn as everything seems to be
working how it should.

Xargun

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 297
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 4:22:04 PM   
Chickenboy

It's been a couple weeks since I've looked at this on my new system. When I went to play the game recently, I clicked on the shortcut (with the proper previously functioning switches) and the game started opening. I heard the initial sounds associated with the Matrix Logo as the game started ("chick-chick-chick-chick"), but didn't see anything. Then a black window which took up 2/3 of the upper left portion of my screen emerged as the sounds continued. The window stayed black and...well...that was it. No display of the start menu. No nada. Just a black nonresponsive 2/3 screen.

ETA: Depending on the iteration, it will make my cursor go away or become unresponsive. It has also 'frozen' my screen and rendered it-everything-unresponsive. That merited a reboot.

Task manager showed the 32 bit version of WiTP:AE executable which was variably non-responsive. Eventually, I had to use Task manager to close the non-responsive version.

I didn't change any switches since the last time I booted the program.

Thinking it might be some temporary settings changes or other, I restarted my laptop. Same story: when clicking on the shortcut (with the executable switches), black 2/3 upper left screen and nonresponsive.

Any ideas?

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 2/23/2017 4:30:51 PM >

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 298
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 4:48:54 PM   
witpqs

quote:

It's been a couple weeks since I've looked at this on my new system. When I went to play the game recently, I clicked on the shortcut (with the proper previously functioning switches) and the game started opening. I heard the initial sounds associated with the Matrix Logo as the game started ("chick-chick-chick-chick"), but didn't see anything. Then a black window which took up 2/3 of the upper left portion of my screen emerged as the sounds continued. The window stayed black and...well...that was it. No display of the start menu. No nada. Just a black nonresponsive 2/3 screen.

ETA: Depending on the iteration, it will make my cursor go away or become unresponsive. It has also 'frozen' my screen and rendered it-everything-unresponsive. That merited a reboot.

Task manager showed the 32 bit version of WiTP:AE executable which was variably non-responsive. Eventually, I had to use Task manager to close the non-responsive version.

I didn't change any switches since the last time I booted the program.

Thinking it might be some temporary settings changes or other, I restarted my laptop. Same story: when clicking on the shortcut (with the executable switches), black 2/3 upper left screen and nonresponsive.

Any ideas?

Please post a copy/paste of the full shortcut switches ('cause I don't remember what you are using). Also, screen pics showing two panels of the shortcut: the "Shortcut" and "General" panels.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 299
RE: Win10 upgrade issue - 2/23/2017 4:55:31 PM   
Chickenboy

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Win10 upgrade issue Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI