Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/5/2016 10:56:52 PM   
rjord2021

Planet Tholia... this is not a Class M World and with surface temperatures of over 500 degrees Kelvin this is a Class Y world and one world you will not be able to colonise.

When you arrive at Tholia you will be advised you cannot set up a colony on the planet surface.

The pictures in the Trek Universe of the Tholians are few and far between and in many cases are very grainy.

For this mod I have revamped how the Tholians appear in the mod while keeping to the "Gene Roddenberry" vision.

I have photoshopped the picture below to show the volcanic world of Tholia with a modified version of the Tholians. This picture is of "first Contact" with the Tholians and they do not like intrusions from anyone in their home system.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/5/2016 11:05:07 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 271
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/6/2016 12:33:50 AM   
rjord2021

While heading back to the Enterprise after attending a Starfleet medical conference on the newly constructed Yorktown Station, McCoy and Scotty experience electrical issues while passing through the Necro Cloud nebula and need to make an emergency landing on an M-Class world called Altamid III.

While Scotty works on fixing the Galileo' systems McCoy explores the surrounding area and discovers that Altamid III has a mining colony which does not appear on Starfleet charts.

The locations from Star Trek Beyond have been added to Distant Worlds and Altamid III is in the original timeline as a mining colony which it had originally been intended for in Beyond before becoming a homeworld for Krall.

In this RPG story McCoy and Scotty stumble upon the remains of an old Earth starship reported missing years ago.

I created the picture below in photoshop.

Edit... updated the picture to merge McCoy into the background picture.. fix up an anomaly with the scenery to the left of Galileo and add some clouds to the mountains in the distance.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/6/2016 12:51:15 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 272
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/6/2016 7:39:54 PM   
rjord2021

The Zeta Leporis system....

Planet : Xarant IV 4th planet ( 3 moons) of a 9 planet system
Planet classified as M-Class Rocky terrain
Homeworld of over 2 billion Xarantines

There is only one picture of the Xarantine race on the Internet so I have used that picture to create a more suitable image for use in the mod.

The Xarantine are about 50 years in tech level behind Earth and their planet is just inside Klingon space but they are strong enough with a large fleet of ships which prevent them being taken over by the Klingon Empire.

Known to have many battles with the Klingons.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 273
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/7/2016 5:26:04 PM   
rjord2021

An M-Class planet called Tesnia in the Soth Tau Sector.

When you explore this area you will find a single planet in the system with 4 moons which is home to the Tesnian race.

The Tesnians were never seen in Star Trek and were mentioned in one episode and one book.
Not that this means they are a race that are not important enough to appear in the mod... their story was just not talked about by Star trek writers.

As they were not seen I have created a version of the race in photoshop based on description of their appearance and what their planet looks like.

When the Federation of Planets was proposed the Tesnians were not part of the founding species but they were firm supporters of the Federation and its policies. When they eventually requested to join the Federation they were immediately voted in.

I have created various scenarios about the Tesnians and their handling of threats by both the Klingon and Romulan Empires.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/7/2016 5:46:45 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 274
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/7/2016 7:50:16 PM   
rjord2021

With designing the gameplay for the mod the one issue I am looking at with the map is how many times the map can be played before people get bored if you are playing the official star charts version of the map where nothing changes as far as planet locations.

For example, if Vulcan is always next door and Cardassia is always far away then each time the game is played the Distant Worlds side of the game is pretty much the same every time.... if you head in a south easterly direction from Sol you will find Vulcan.

I am wondering if you guys would prefer the mod to go in the direction of the Civilization games where the maps are more random so you never know where Vulcan is, or the Klingon homeworld or Romulan space.

You start the mod by generating the galaxies randomly as you wish and I populate the worlds with the civilizations and races. One day you will have Klingons next door to you and the next day it will be the Axanarri.

I am thinking that one of the strengths of the Distant Worlds is the unpredictability of where you will find certain races and I am thinking the mod should follow that same path so that you never know where and when you are going to meet specific races.

Today I have designed more screens for the mod role playing cards such as this one below where the crew of the Enterprise meet the USS Ares after picking up a distress signal from the planet.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/7/2016 7:53:18 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 275
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/7/2016 8:59:34 PM   
rjord2021

If your feedback shows you would prefer random maps rather than a static map the following picture shows how the mod would explain the change in the timeline where everything has changed in the galaxy.

Another picture I have created shows George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth) from the 2009 movie is the one that went through the Guardian and changed the timeline. Instead of Nero and the Romulans affecting the timeline it was the crew of the USS Kelvin under the command of Captain Richard Robau that discovered the Guardian and inadvertently changed the timeline to the Shatner version.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/7/2016 9:01:10 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 276
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/7/2016 11:57:51 PM   
rjord2021

Considering that plotting the exact position of each system and planet in the Star Trek universe could take several months it could be an idea to go the wy of random systems in the mod and then work on adding the "precise locations" map as a separate addon once the mod is released.

With that in mind I have a list of 1408 systems to add to the mod from various sources and I am going through that list to remove duplicates...perhaps 25 to 35% of those on the list are duplicated systems.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 277
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/8/2016 12:31:34 AM   
rjord2021

Removed 250 odd duplicate system names and added 1156 systems to the mod files systems.txt and systemNames.txt

Apart from the systems in the alpha and beta quadrants I have also added :

- Alsuran sector stars and systems‎
- Cardassian stars and systems‎
- Delphic Expanse stars and systems
- Dominion stars and systems
- Federation stars and systems‎
- Federation-Cardassian DMZ stars and systems‎
- Federation-Romulan Neutral Zone stars and systems‎
- Ferengi stars and systems‎
- Gamma Quadrant stars and systems
- Gorn stars and systems‎
- Klingon stars and systems‎
- Kzinti stars and systems‎
- Milky Way Galaxy stars and systems‎
- Orion stars and systems
- Quadrant 0 stars and systems
- Quadrant 1 stars and systems
- Quadrant 2 stars and systems‎
- Romulan stars and systems‎
- Talarian stars and systems

These 19 sub groups of systems have provided more names of systems not included in the general alpha and beta quadrant categories.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/8/2016 12:32:55 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 278
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/8/2016 11:00:18 PM   
rjord2021

When you arrive in specific systems out of the 1000 or more systems in the mod you will meet specific characters from the Trek universe.

As seen in the card below there is no mention of throwing a dice and when you get a card like this you roll two dice ( or a 12 sided dice) which will tell you which card to play when you meet that character.

Some of the cards will have Kirk negotiating a trade deal , others cards will have dangerous situations... you may even get cards which say that while the Captain is on the surface the ship may suddenly be leaking antimatter radiation through the dilithium crystal housing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 279
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/9/2016 8:29:36 AM   
rjord2021

The graphics for this card took me 3 and a half hours to complete and shows Doctor McCoy providing treatment for a high ranking member of the Klingon Empire.

The Klingon is from the Klingon Homeworld which explains why he has the ridged forehead unlike the smooth foreheads of Klingons generally found on ships near the border with the Federation space.

When this card is picked you need to run the procedure in the RPG rules to see if the Doctor successfully saves the patient. Some of the results from the dice throw have complications setting in and subsequent dice rolls are needed to hopefully save the patient.

In the case of this card if the Klingon dies there is a very high chance that McCoy will be blamed and he will be sent to the Klingon prison planet Rura Penthe.

Kirk has a chance to save McCoy from prison and this is determined by the dice roll.

If unsuccessful and McCoy then goes to Rura Penthe the Enterprise can then try to rescue McCoy however this comes with great danger to the ship and Kirk could lose his position as captain of the Enterprise for crossing the Neutral Zone into Klingon space.

The text on the card is just a rough outline of what the card is about and will be changed to the final version of the text before this mod is complete.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/9/2016 8:35:04 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 280
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/10/2016 8:29:53 AM   
rjord2021

Before adding the Trading system to this Star Trek mod as well as trying to keep Star Trek as close to what Gene Roddenberry had imagined as possible, I needed to understand Gene's views on money in the Trek Universe.

By the time TNG started after so many years of Trek being off air, Gene Roddenberry had stated:

".....money most emphatically did NOT exist in the Federation, nor did "credits" and that was that."

Which explained Picard saying "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.""

Having no credits in the Federation would make this mod not work in Distant Worlds as everything needs money.

Federation credits did exist in the TOS period ( as per the Tribbles Episode ) from the year 2227, however credits had started declining in 2364

Picard stated "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives." in the First Contact movie in 2373 so somewhere between 2364 and 2373 the Federation stopped using money....

This period is well after the period of this mod so Standard Federation Credits will be used by the Federation to buy Star Ships and trade with other races.

Now I can get on with building the Trading System for the mod.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 281
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/10/2016 10:59:32 PM   
rjord2021

The Concept of Trading in the Distant Worlds Universe.

In the last 24 hours I have put together the basic idea for what will be involved with operating as the captain of your own trade ship in "The Return of Khan" mod and it will be a completely different way of playing Different Worlds Universe.

When you start the mod you will be an individual for a randomly chosen race starting out on a randomly chosen world.
- You will have no ship
- you will have no training in how to be a trader or smuggler or even know how to fly a ship

As you have chosen to be a trader you are now inside the role playing part of the mod and the first thing that needs to be done is to create your character and roll dice to determine the beginning attributes of your character.

The background and skills of the character are then determined and before you have even started playing the mod in Distant Worlds you will have an idea of what your character has lived through and what experience if any he or she has prior to the game actually beginning.

Due to the way this mod will generate your character each time you play this mod as a trader or smuggler no two games with even one character will be the same. If you play one character every time that character will be different in experiences and back ground every time.

You can also play as a Star Trek rogue such as Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd as shown below , or Cyrano Jones from the Tribbles episode, or any other trader character you like such as yourself.

When it is time for your character to buy a ship you will need to determine how many credits your character has earned and if you do not have enough credits you will need to seek work on a trader ship where you will be payed for your work.

Work has only just started on adding Trading to this mod and more news will come as it develops.

I know that the RPG trading can be complicated however I am going to keep it as simple as possible with a lot of documentation each step of the way.

And as always if there are questions I will be happy to provide support here in this forum.

Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd as I have created and currently exists in the mod

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/10/2016 11:07:54 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 282
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/10/2016 11:54:18 PM   
rjord2021

The Starship Enterprise NCC 1701 as she currently appears in the mod
(Still a work in progress - saucer shape still not correct)

Every ship is scaled up in size (currently at 1.9 scale) for testing

This allows more detail to be seen on the ships.

With the mod rules you will not see 10 Constitution Class ships constructed at one dry dock within 10 minutes. With more realistic construction times starships will be out of the system on missions as the next ship is being built.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/11/2016 12:20:42 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 283
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/12/2016 1:16:34 AM   
rjord2021

The Klingon D7 Battlecruiser near Talos IV
(Beta Version Work in Progress)

I am adding a metallic finish to each ship of each race

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/12/2016 1:48:49 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 284
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/12/2016 1:36:22 AM   
rjord2021

And to finish up today The Romulan Bird of Prey

This is not the same version as what was seen in the TOS season 1 episode Balance of Terror which I understand was a prototype model being field tested whose results were not as hoped for by the Romulan Council.

The Romulan Bird of Prey took some time to add shadows to and then apply a metallic finish to its hull.

The Constitution Class Federation starship, the Klingon D7 Battlecruiser and the Romulan Bird of Prey are the 3 ships I have being using for testing and developing this mod.

The ships used by Khan Noonien Singh are almost complete and a preview will be shown here in next day or two.

Note : It is not the Botany Bay though the Botany Bay is in the mod.... in a way.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/12/2016 1:42:31 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 285
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/12/2016 7:51:28 AM   
rjord2021

The Starfleet dry docks have been busy over the last 2 days and after some serious words directed at them from those high up in Starfleet Command the dry docks have completed the construction of the Constitution Class starships.

In the picture below I added the ship from 2 days ago to show how much better the new ship looks today.... a lot more detail and a 0.2 increase in size.

I am more than happy with this.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/12/2016 7:53:35 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 286
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/12/2016 11:37:54 PM   
rjord2021

I am photoshopping new pictures for the mod such as adding this Vulcan to background scenery from Vulcan itself.

Additional work such as a slight change in the Vulcan's appearance, extending his cloak out etc.

The pictures are being added to distant Worlds Universe screen as well as the RPG cards.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/13/2016 2:23:37 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 287
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/13/2016 9:59:47 AM   
rjord2021

2261..... 6 years before the Enterprise discovers the SS Botany Bay floating in deep space.

A Klingon Battle Cruiser crewed by renegade Klingons discovers a small Earth ship near Klingon space and beaming over to the ship they find only one survivor on board in suspended sleep.....

Waking the Earther from sleep the Klingons soon discover his superior intellect to them and his common hatred of all things Federation.

The Earther eventually kills the Klingon captain in combat and takes command of the Battle Cruiser and makes plans for his revenge against Earth for forcing him to leave the planet and then spend 271 years in suspended sleep.

Earth will soon fear him again and they will whisper his name from the shadows they cower in .... his name is Khan Noonien Singh

The picture took several days to do..... with some attention to detail as adding red reflection to the back of Khan's jacket.

As the picture shows, Khan will never meet Kirk...he will never meet Lieutenant Marla McGivers and the events of Space Seed and The Wrath of Khan will never happen.

Khan has found some dangerous allies with equal hatred for the Federation and Starfleet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 288
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/13/2016 11:17:04 PM   
Twigster

I have been drooling with anticipation over this for quite some time now... with respect, is there an updated timeframe for completion?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 289
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/14/2016 12:45:15 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twigster

I have been drooling with anticipation over this for quite some time now... with respect, is there an updated timeframe for completion?

Not yet....... will be as soon as possible though

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 290
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/14/2016 12:49:59 AM   
rjord2021

Finished work on the new Federation Frigate as seen in the center of the picture below.

The USS London is a Loknar Class Federation Frigate and you can see its size compared to the Enterprise lower right.
Frigate size may be tweaked a little before this mod is released.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 291
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/14/2016 5:47:15 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

which class is the one of the Enterprise ?

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 292
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/14/2016 7:49:15 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

which class is the one of the Enterprise ?

The Enterprise is a Constitution class vessel
Length: 288.6 meters
Width: 127.1 meters
Height: 72.6 meters

The USS London is a Loknar Class frigate
Length: 290 meters
Width: 127.1 meters
Height: 56 meters

based on those figures the Constitution and Loknar classes are the same size length by width so should be equal size in the mod.
Have adjusted the ships accordingly.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 293
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/17/2016 5:52:36 PM   
rjord2021

Modifications underway on the Andorian Kumari ship for the mod.

Once I have added modifications and other textures to the ship I give it a transparent background and add it to the queue of ships I have to be tested in Distant Worlds.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/17/2016 6:15:42 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 294
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/17/2016 11:20:08 PM   
rjord2021

an early test shot of the Andorian Kumari class cruiser.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/17/2016 11:23:28 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 295
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/18/2016 4:58:54 AM   
rjord2021

The process of creating the Andorian Cruiser.....

Version 1 on the left of the image below had nice lighting but was too green and too low in resolution and detail.

Version 2 on the far bottom had detail I was looking for but not the lighting. Thios version qwas seen in my previous post.

Version 3 at the top of the picture is the final version with lighting added. I was going to add more blue light to the nose of the cruiser but it looked more realistic without extra lighting on the ship.

This is the process I am using for all ships being added to the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/18/2016 5:01:36 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 296
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/18/2016 6:03:46 AM   
rjord2021

Another Andorian ship...... still some work to do on the lighting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 297
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/18/2016 7:36:44 AM   
rjord2021

A Vulcan ship caught in Klingon space by a D7 Battle-cruiser.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 298
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/18/2016 9:56:28 AM   
rjord2021

An old style Vulcan survey vessel now used for passenger transport between worlds

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 299
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/22/2016 7:37:11 AM   
rjord2021

Arriving in a newly discovered system you will scan the planet from orbit or you may even take a landing party down to the planet.

If you go down to the planet there are many new dangers that Kirk and the landing party may face such as the one in the picture below.

There were not too many episodes of Star Trek TOS where the ship captains were killed during the episode..... however this is not TV Land and Captain Kirk could be in terrible danger on any of these planets.

As Kirk gains command points and experience he has more chance of surviving. However at the start he is fresh out of the academy and danger facing him is very real.

The picture below is the picture created for the RPG card for this well known planet in Star Trek

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI