Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

please help the noob!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> please help the noob! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
please help the noob! - 8/26/2016 11:00:29 PM   
loudscott

Let me start by saying I love this game. Going back to the old Avalon Hill days I think this is awesome. However, I'm a bit frustrated with the manual. I have tried to upload my saved game file but I guess that is not supported? In any event it is the start of turn 5 for the Axis, not having made any move for the turn I'm trying to airdrop fuel supplies to some out of supply Panzer regiments/divisions. When I right click on the unit in order to get to the "air unit pick window" only transport units from 1st LW Air Base come up. This airbase is located on hex X62, Y32 and has the 3 transports groups it starts the campaign with. The airbase is in supply, 0% used, etc. BUT I would prefer to use the transport unit from the 6th LW Air Base loacted near Minsk on hex X66, Y60. It is also in supply, 0% used etc. In fact I cannot tell any difference between this two airbase units other than the fact that the supply line is a little longer to 6th LW Air Base. (14MP vs 2MP). I am completely baffled as to why I cannot conduct an air resupply mission from this airbase. The hex I'm trying to supply is actually CLOSER the 6th (X81, Y60). And the game is perfectly happy to allow me to air supply that hex as long as I do it from the 1st LW Air Base located in the Baltic.

Any ideas?????????

Loud Scott
Post #: 1
RE: please help the noob! - 8/26/2016 11:48:42 PM   
Stelteck

Airdrop ressuply missions are allowed only if the Airfield (with the transports) is on the supply Rail grid. Or very close to it. I'am not sûre of the distance.

The supply & fuel have to come straight from the train. So the airfield with transport have to be kept at the railhead.

(in reply to loudscott)
Post #: 2
RE: please help the noob! - 8/26/2016 11:57:04 PM   
loudscott

Thanks, I will test that out (since I can find no mention of this restriction in the manual). The airbase I can use is 2MP from the supply grid and is on (an albeit non-axis) rail hex. The airbase I can't use is 14MP from the supply grid and is not located on rail hex.

I appreciate the help.

Loud Scott

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 3
RE: please help the noob! - 8/27/2016 12:44:58 AM   
heliodorus04

The manual is pretty deep. I know there is an updated version (that should be accessible via the standard game launch screen whether you have a Steam or Matrix purchased copy. I know that the last of the tinkering was with airdrop supply. You missed 'the glory days' of the German motorized divisions treating the eastern front like they were 'desert rats' going deep behind enemy lines, isolating entire Fronts. Ah, Mein Fuehrer! Sorry...

When assigning missions via the Shift-click method, try selecting a specific airbase hex first. Then Shift-click on the target hex. You will find, often, that selecting different airbases enables other aircraft to join that might not otherwise. Especially where fighters are concerned, and where Air Resupply is concerned (where the Ju-52 airbase is attached to a Luftflotte far from the fighters, who are attached to Fliegerkorp near the front - FYI this is always how I organize my air resupply fleet).

Also, my noob-friendly tip is that when you Shift-click for an air resupply mission, ALWAYS check whether the mission is defaulting to Supply or Fuel as its drop stuff. It can trick you.

ALSO, another change in the last of the Air Resupply tinkering:
IF you are flying supplies (or fuel) to a target hex that is not adjacent to a friendly air base counter (or that has such an air base in the target hex itself) will NOT receive nearly the same quantity of supplies/fuel as it will if such an airbase is present. So, keep an airbase near the panzers. Remember to move the airbase prior to the air supply mission.

Another noob-friendly tip:
As the German/Romanian, you have a serious luxury of more airbases than you need. As a result, you can relieve pressure on your Truck destruction rate by staging an empty airbase forward and then at the start of the next turn (because you can only transfer airbases at 0% flown) fly your aircraft forward and then you can start conducting missions from the newer base. Now the new airbase is empty (in theory) and you can move it forward over the next couple turns, possibly even by rail.

I leave half the remaining airbases of the Romanian Air Farce at home.

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to loudscott)
Post #: 4
RE: please help the noob! - 8/27/2016 12:49:41 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

Romanian Air Farce

LOL, a Freudian slip or intended?

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 5
RE: please help the noob! - 8/27/2016 1:04:55 AM   
heliodorus04

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

Romanian Air Farce

LOL, a Freudian slip or intended?

Oh, "Air Farce" is an old and universal joke to this Army vet. But I say it with love, because I had a squadron of A-10s hunting my route of advance into Iraq in 1991. And you have to admire the arm of service that gets the officers to go out and to the fighting while the enlisted rarely risk their necks.

Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 6
RE: please help the noob! - 8/27/2016 6:51:14 PM   
No idea

Can ANY air base be used for Ju52 giving more supply or fuel? I am thinking about putting my army level air bases really near the panzerkorps

Post #: 7
RE: please help the noob! - 8/27/2016 7:00:37 PM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: No idea

Can ANY air base be used for Ju52 giving more supply or fuel? I am thinking about putting my army level air bases really near the panzerkorps

Yes you can use any base for anything.

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 8
RE: please help the noob! - 8/31/2016 11:49:33 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Yes you can use any base for anything.

No quite as you can only put recce a/c on army airbases.

@ Loudscott - good to see a new face on the forum. It's important to read the change log of patches that postdate the updated manual. There are a lot of significant changes that you need to be aware of. Some are quite long but those are mostly bug fixes and TOE/device changes which don't matter much in game terms - though they show an amazing committment to detail for which those responsible deserve great credit.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 9
RE: please help the noob! - 6/13/2017 12:10:49 PM   
ColonelMolerat

quote:

Another noob-friendly tip:
As the German/Romanian, you have a serious luxury of more airbases than you need. As a result, you can relieve pressure on your Truck destruction rate by staging an empty airbase forward and then at the start of the next turn (because you can only transfer airbases at 0% flown) fly your aircraft forward and then you can start conducting missions from the newer base. Now the new airbase is empty (in theory) and you can move it forward over the next couple turns, possibly even by rail.

Sorry to come to this so long after it was posted.

I don't quite understand this tip (I'm still learning the game).

Are you saying that you move an empty airbase ("Base A") forward, then move planes into it from a base further back ("Base B"). You then stage missions from Base A, while the now-empty Base B moves up to the front? How does this help save on truck destruction?

Post #: 10
RE: please help the noob! - 6/13/2017 12:24:28 PM   
Stelteck

It means that it is better to fly planes than to transport them using trucks.

So it is better to move empty base than base full of level bombers. Base full of level bombers use a lots more trucks.

(in reply to ColonelMolerat)
Post #: 11
RE: please help the noob! - 6/13/2017 11:43:22 PM   
ColonelMolerat

Ah, thanks! I hadn't realised that, I assumed that the planes just flew along with the trucks. I'm up to page 20 of 246 of the Bootcamp PDF. I'll get there eventually!

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> please help the noob! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI