Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 8/30/2016 10:39:18 PM   
sufa101loofa

I am preparing to attack Guadalcanal in the next three months and I need some help with tactics. I have destroyed almost all of the Jap CVs. I am anticipating a very heavily defended base maybe 1100 AV or more. Almost all of my carriers are at Suva or Pago Pago. Any suggestions? I am playing my friend.

< Message edited by sufaloofa -- 8/30/2016 10:42:39 PM >

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 8/30/2016 11:40:09 PM   
sstevens06

Go around - take Russell Island, Tulagi, and/or Rekata Bay. Get lots of SeaBees in there and build up those bases. Russell Island can max out at AF =7. Tulagi can also be built up to a decent sized port. Then move in Allied fighters, and USMC dive- and torpedo-bombers. Achieve and maintain air superiority and you can easily neutralize the Guadalcanal garrison.

What date are you at in the game?

(in reply to sufa101loofa)
Post #: 2
RE: Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 8/31/2016 1:22:55 AM   
BBfanboy

If Guadalcanal is heavily fortified and garrisoned, just isolate it and go on to Shortlands. As sstevens06 said, take some nearby bases to build airfields and smash whatever Guadalcanal has, and keep bombing/bombarding until the AA stops. This signals supply shortages there and they will not be able to mount offensive operations if you keep supply from arriving there.

The WWII expression was "Hit 'Em Where They Ain't!"

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 3
RE: Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 8/31/2016 1:48:18 AM   
Korvar

Just to graphically illustrate what the others here have said:

Look at the coverage one strategically located base can give you. The range of fighters bombers gets even better later in the war. Also note the garrison I discovered on Guadalcanal.

Edit: re-size image

< Message edited by Korvar -- 9/1/2016 4:17:14 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 8/31/2016 2:26:13 AM   
sufa101loofa

Thanks for the great information. The date of my game is July 1943.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...Winston Churchill

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 5
RE: Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 8/31/2016 4:41:10 PM   
mussey

+1 what others mention. Also you can assault Tassafaranga and move overland to Lunga to avoid a direct landing there.

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to sufa101loofa)
Post #: 6
RE: Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 9/1/2016 12:43:53 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

+1 what others mention. Also you can assault Tassafaranga and move overland to Lunga to avoid a direct landing there.

Quite true, but I prefer the other option to dealing with this situation. Let 'em die on the vine. If my opponent wishes to commit that many ground troops to an island that was historically invaded just 'because', I'll land somewhere else and watch 'em die. Besides they'll make great practice runs for my inexperienced air crews.

There are no/few bases that are a must have for the Allies. Especially the US, which has the engineers to build a 'base outta nothing overnight'. BTW this mimics history. There was a link about US based building in one of the threads. It was an incredible read, at least to me, because no one tends to write about such things. TBH it was some kind of military report. The war could not have been conducted as such without this capability.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 7
RE: Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign - 9/1/2016 4:27:14 AM   
Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

There are no/few bases that are a must have for the Allies. Especially the US, which has the engineers to build a 'base outta nothing overnight'. BTW this mimics history. There was a link about US based building in one of the threads. It was an incredible read, at least to me, because no one tends to write about such things. TBH it was some kind of military report. The war could not have been conducted as such without this capability.

I think you are referring to The History of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and CE Corps.

Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil has a broader focus on logistics as a whole in the PTO, but obviously base development figured prominently into the planning. It dovetails nicely with the Bureau's history to give more context to why the various bases where chosen to be developed.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Allies attacking Guadalcanal - Grand Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI