Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Attention Wargamers! This post is for you!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Attention Wargamers! This post is for you! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attention Wargamers! This post is for you! - 8/30/2016 2:27:44 PM   
Daniele

This is a first (and experimental) post to see if we can spark some positive discussion about topics related to wargames and to help us better understand your views and opinions about stuff we care about. So here you go.

Most of the time, wargames depict conflicts with surgical precision and analytical rigor. Nevertheless, they tend to focus only on the military (or close related) aspects. That’s pretty self-evident, of course, as wargames are about war, after all. But we shall not forget the all conflicts are not a mere confrontation of brute force. Also, the more a conflict is controversial, the more it is difficult to show it exclusively from the military perspective.

READ THE ENTIRE POST HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Attention Wargamers! This post is for you! - 8/31/2016 4:27:50 AM   
palne

Great Question to post....gratz!

First, Games I wish could get made that were fun on these genres:

1. Vietnam (I agree with the post). I have never found a war game above the squad/platoon level that worked in vietnam very well. But the mano-a-mano stuff could be fun!
2. Spanish Civil War
3. English civil War (some ok ones out there)

Games that I liked very much that are not really war games:

Kremlin: Point is to politically screw your opponents and get one of "your guys" to wave 3 times at the May Day parade. Just a crazy game of cards and betrayal...
Twilight Struggle: Great 2-person game of politics....not much dice, lots of strategic elements. Well balanced, quick play...great game.
Days of Decision: (pre WIF....love it, but can't get anybody to play with me).

It would be great to introduce some economic/industrial decision into armaments building potential. It would be great to be able to assassinate Churchill....like poor Yamamoto....or really rescue Muscilini or poison Stalin in 1940, Align Iran/Iraq in 1938....oh the Humanity of that one if it ever worked! Grab the oil of Iraq, build a rail to a port in Syria and a rail through Turkey...all in time for Poland? With a simultanious invasion of Egypt when/if UK declares war on GE? (which they wouldn't in that case--which is my whole point of what a different WWII that would be....).

War Game elements that I wish could get improved.

Personal character of majar nation leaders. I mean look at WWII! Every nation made major, major decisions based on the leader's personality. When a game is made where players take the roll of the leader, they instinctively don't make the same dumb mistakes--like not retreating as Hitler, or deploying too far forward as Stalin, or over-extending as Tojo, etc....so game elements get tweaked for game balance like Japan's merchant marine is usually about tripled historical results, Russian industry is lowered, but adverse affects of abysmal middle-management throughout the economy is not replicated well or at all (I'm not even sure how you do it other than simply reducing the economy). Ultra ....significant, yet how do you implement? France having to be reduced/hamstrung so they actually fold like the tent they were, instead of effectively deploying their robust militaryl....ect, ect,...

So political elements would be great fun, but I'd like to start a WWII game at the tables at Versaille! That's right...negotiating the end of WWI. Then do politics and economics from there until "begin hostilities" results with the start of WWII.....I'm sort of sick of rolling through Poland....over and over...and groundhog me one more time.... And then stopping at the point Germany's expansion ends because nobody wants to spend 2-3 years rolling Germany back to the bunker....(when we could just switch sides and set up for Poland again...)

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: Attention Wargamers! This post is for you! - 8/31/2016 6:20:16 AM   
warspite1

palne I think the idea is that you go to the link in Daniele's post and then post in there, not here.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to palne)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Attention Wargamers! This post is for you! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI