Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/15/2016 3:03:01 PM   
sillyflower

Fair enough

I may decide not to follow advice (advice is nor more than that as you know) but I'm extremely compliant with treatment once I have agreed to it.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 631
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/15/2016 4:40:53 PM   
HITMAN202

Us rednecks chew Red Bull, fish, watch Nascar and tear up dirt roads in our 40K trucks to treat most our complaints. A buddy of mine solved his blood pressure problem by dating hairy women. Had to get a hunting license first.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 632
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/15/2016 5:51:25 PM   
sillyflower

I know that your love of the theatre helps you to relax, but does your dressing up help your patients to relax too?

It seems a little unlikely on the face of it. No wonder they prefer the options to which you referred above.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/15/2016 5:52:48 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 633
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/15/2016 8:00:43 PM   
smokindave34

That has to be one of the most disturbing images I've ever seen - now I will never look at another one of Bozo's posts without thinking of this photo. Thanks a lot SF!

Post #: 634
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/15/2016 10:36:19 PM   
sillyflower

I just googled 'picture of doctor frightening children' and there he was.

web exchange

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 635
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/16/2016 3:50:09 PM   
sillyflower

I suppose I should get back to T57

Losses 5,2K to 36K, air a rather feeble 97 to 89. 5 tank xxx (1 guard) 2 inf xx 1 tk x and 3 regts destroyed. Almost 600 AFV killed and 1280 trucks captured .

I will join Adolf in a bit of carpet-chewing if I haven't finally secured the southern rail line with the extra units brought in during the last 2 weeks. I would if we had any carpets here anyway..... Only risk is a well-directed partisan unit and these can't be prevented since they have been allowed to damage rail lines in an axis ZOC . To minimise the risk, I've been marching units 1 hex at a time (ie doing a partisan sweep) down and adjacent to the key rail hexes (ie where I depend on a single line either side of Rostov) as I think that may displace any partisan unit they stop on. Don't think that moving through a partisan unit causes it to displace.

My worry is that Brian may have delayed me for long enough so that Baku will not be obtainable quickly enough to enable me to grab the remaining 7 VPs I will need from elsewhere, or at all, though I think the former is the more likely.

web exchange

Post #: 636
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/16/2016 4:07:14 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

I know that your love of the theatre helps you to relax, but does your dressing up help your patients to relax too?

It seems a little unlikely on the face of it. No wonder they prefer the options to which you referred above.

Hey, that's my old buddy Twisty_the_Clown. He used to do birthdays and bar mitzvahs but soon developed a crack habit. Kind of a sad story.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Bozo_the_Clown -- 8/16/2016 4:09:46 PM >

Post #: 637
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/16/2016 10:17:11 PM   
Michael T

quote:

My worry is that Brian may have delayed me for long enough so that Baku will not be obtainable quickly enough to enable me to grab the remaining 7 VPs I will need from elsewhere

So close yet so far, your opponent is one of the most tenacious I have seen.

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 638
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/17/2016 1:38:43 PM   
Manstein63

Getting his units back FOC & having Baku as a supply source must be a boon because when you had me in a similar position I was left with no real choice but to resign, as I was unable to gather sufficient forces to blunt your advance.
Manstein63

'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 639
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/17/2016 9:20:35 PM   
sillyflower

T58

For the first time in this AAR, the Finns get the starring role, as they continue to clear the Janis line.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/17/2016 9:22:20 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 640
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/17/2016 9:22:53 PM   
sillyflower

Rostov

Not sure why I had the combat marker turned off. 3 fat tank corps die in their pocket, and further attack made to make it as hard as possible for the communists to get to the key rail line

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/17/2016 9:26:32 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 641
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/17/2016 9:36:13 PM   
sillyflower

Further south

The Krasnodar sector was quiet though his 4 cav xxx remain in the front line.Further east, I decide to try to end the threat of attack on the rail line from the north, by doing pushing him back south of Rostov, but making the most of plentiful petrol to herd pretty much all of his forces in the area

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 642
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/17/2016 9:37:56 PM   
sillyflower

Last but not least, the push on Baku

There was only space for limited forces here, which enabled the clearing out operation shown in the previous post. Brian's flanks were solid at Makhachkala and with 3 inf xxx in rough terrain 20 miles to the south west. However, the middle was not very strong enabling a strong push capturing more rough terrain and bypassing the 6 xxx in his front line. If I can take the city next turn (and I have 6 elite inf xx stuffed with pioneers and stugs poised to assault next turn) then his inf xxx serve no useful purpose where they are now. Getting the red panzer div into the rough 30 miles SW of Mtown was a real bonus as they were able to flip the hexes in the next row, completely wrecking his supply route to his troops to the west.

I felt it necessary to retreat the tk xxx immediately SE of Mtown (it had just retreated there) as I was worried about him cutting off my spearhead adjacent to Mtown. I hope he can't resist retaking that hex. Mtown's garrison is 1 inf xxx, 1 cav xxx and 1 tank xxx. Good to see Uncle Jo has an inclusive approach to diversity. Who would have guessed? I'm an equal opportunities killer (apart from my fetish for killing cavalry units) so I would much rather they had a retreat path out of Mtown next turn.

4th mtn div will hopefully come as a nasty surprise for the soviets next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/19/2016 8:36:44 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 643
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/17/2016 11:28:10 PM   
timmyab

Ouch! looking a bit grim for Brian in the Caucasus. I wonder what he has left at Baku.

I always enjoy reading these caucasus AARs because I haven't got a clue what's going on with this part of the map :) It's like a different world to me.
It's a shame there isn't more incentive to capture the oil fields, I'd be more tempted to try it. I've considered it in the past and decided that it's not worth trying the Southern strategy unless the Axis player is already in a very strong game position.

Post #: 644
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 8:49:20 AM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T58

Losses 6.3K t0 27.7K. Air 94 to 161. Units destroyed: 3 tank xxx and 10 sapper regts. Baku has become an even more key target as Brian railed the rest of the southern Caucasus industry there so it now holds 9 HI and 9 arms factories. I assume he forgot to move them before I cut the rail line.

Total number of Russian isolated units 1 tank xxx, 3 cav xx, 5 inf xx and 4 inf x.

Question is - can Brian hang on for long enough now he gets all his dead units back for free? It's all down to the Finns

web exchange

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 645
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 10:47:14 AM   
Peltonx

If you can cut off supplies and clear the Caucasus this will greatly shorten your lines and free up all of your troops to help hold lines in other areas.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 646
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 1:07:53 PM   
sillyflower

Cutting off the rest of the Caucasus is indeed the essential first step. But use the released troops to help hold the line Mr P? That is for wimps

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/19/2016 1:09:38 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 647
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 1:20:53 PM   
sillyflower

T59

Starting with the most important sector

Finns haven't had so much success since the early part of the Winter War. Every casualty caused here is a man less to face down south

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/19/2016 1:23:26 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 648
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 1:29:36 PM   
sillyflower

Rostov

Unable to cut my supply line, the Bolsheviks run like girls. We take the Donets bulge and avance on the south side. His delaying troops are bypassed, apart from 1 inf x which routed when I tried to herd it. It will be a relief to get a second rail line between Stalino and Rostov as the single line is always vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/19/2016 1:34:58 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 649
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 1:35:44 PM   
sillyflower

Caucasus

Soviets finally decide to start withdrawing from Krasnodar area. In response 11th infantry Corps pulls out of the line and starts heading for Stalingrad.

Sevastopol remains a POW camp - even though 1 of the defending inf xx pulled out 2 or 3 turns ago. I should have pulled out 1 of my screening divs too. Must try to remember next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/19/2016 1:45:30 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 650
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 1:46:02 PM   
sillyflower

Baku

Mtown falls remarkably easily - that man Model again. Thanks to Brian's aggressive instincts, the defenders had a retreat path. That mistake will cost the Russians dear as they would otherwise have presumably retreated by sea to Baku as the nearest supply source - assuming Baku had been left empty for that purpose. Instead, they will soon make good HIWIs. The panzers push forward against relatively light opposition : the terrain is the biggest obstacle. The non-motorised divs from 1 Pz Army go west of his defences in the mountains to ensure those forces won't get out. 4th mtn div feebly failed to force the surrender of a weak out of supply cav xx. Despite basic odds of about 5:1, the final odds were 1.9 to 1.

Slightly further west, the first of the Romanian mtn divs arrives. I will find something useful for it to do next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/19/2016 2:12:57 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 651
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/19/2016 3:27:39 PM   
chaos45

If managed to cut the line from Baku I think it will be game his army by Krasnodor is already low on supplies from having a restricted supply line so once they go iso they will all collapse in quick order.

He has far to many troops going to be lost due to the tenacious defense he put up for the far south.

Post #: 652
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/21/2016 12:13:04 PM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T59

The south is obviously where it's at despite the Finns

Losses 4.9K to 44K; air 54 to 83. Units destroyed 4 inf xx, 1 cav xx 1 tank x and 4 inf x. In secure pockets 4 inf xxx, 2 tank xxx, 3 cav xx (1 guard) 4 inf xx (1 guard) 5 inf x and 1 tank x.

HIWI numbers go over 300K which is a huge contribution . Key issue has to be when/if Baku falls. I need it early to have enough time to get the other VPs I need. However, the retreat of the communists in the south will make life easier for me. If I'm very lucky, he won't be expecting me to go after S'grad as that's far too traditional and boring. On the other hand, so am I so he may guess my intentions correctly..................

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/21/2016 9:30:10 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 653
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/22/2016 3:25:52 PM   
sillyflower

Brian is now on holiday for 2 weeks so there won't be much AAR action during this time

web exchange

Post #: 654
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/27/2016 1:44:59 PM   
sillyflower

Thought I wd make a start on T60 with the mighty Finns - over-compensating for ignoring them earlier

As they bleed the Russians dry. The Finnish attack losses in my turn were 34 to 579 as the red 260th rifle div fled

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/27/2016 1:49:13 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 655
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/29/2016 10:05:46 PM   
sillyflower

Stalingrad

It's taken a long time to push him back this summer, but when Brian runs, he runs . Only 50 miles from S'town, and yet to meet prepared defences. Trying to ensure that his stay-behind troops stay behind my lines and that flank protection is adequate .

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/29/2016 10:11:36 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 656
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/31/2016 11:10:43 AM   
sillyflower

Baku

Operations were somewhat hampered by a terrorist attack on the rail line 30 miles south of Rostov . The Russians have the luck of the Devil, which is most unfair as I'm on his side in this game. I grind on as best I can and there doesn't seem to be an awful lot behind his front line.

Brian's decision 2 turns ago to reconnect with M'town cost him 39K troops which he can ill-afford down here. His infantry has also suffered hugely trying to defend the mountains because all his mtn divs are around Krasnodar. Still, it is of course much harder to capture Baku since it became a supply source so we will have to see....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/31/2016 11:33:01 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 657
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 8/31/2016 2:24:38 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower
it is of course much harder to capture Baku since it became a supply source

As far as I can remember it's always been a supply source.

Post #: 658
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 9/4/2016 9:11:09 PM   
sillyflower

You are probably right.

strategic view of the south

Whole of 2 PzA now heading for S'grad whilst 1PzA goes for Baku. Though this took a swap of corps between the 2 armies, but it's a struggle to spend 50 per turn. All the pz and mot. divs are in the south apart from 3 NW of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 9/4/2016 9:16:18 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 659
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 9/4/2016 9:16:55 PM   
sillyflower

Losses

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI