Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario ideas...seeking feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Scenario ideas...seeking feedback Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 12:12:10 AM   
Mgellis

I had a couple of "future timeline" ideas that could be used to develop scenarios. I'd be grateful for some feedback. Does these sound plausible?

Timeline 1: Putin Attacks the Baltics; NATO responds with Global Blockade

Sometime in the next few years, Putin invades one or more of the Baltic states, claiming that they are really part of "Greater Russia" and should not be independent countries. NATO acts, but is not prepared for the attack and simply does not have the forces on hand to prevent the occupation or push Russian forces out of the Baltic states. NATO takes heavy losses on the ground. However, the willingness to act shows that NATO is not dead. And Russia is now in a rather precarious position--they have gained the Baltics, but the West now knows what they are dealing with. NATO decides to not mount an invasion to liberate the Balkans, at least not immediately. Instead, they impose a global blockade. Russian ships and planes outside of Russia are to be seized or destroyed. And every other sanction possible is imposed. Meanwhile, huge NATO forces are being built up to defend possible lines of attack (Germany, Norway, etc.) Russia has lost the element of surprise and does not think it can actually invade Europe and win. But if it does not give up the Baltic states, it may freeze to death in the dark and/or starve.

Would Russia try to gain control of the seas and the skies so that it could break the blockade? But could it do this on a global scale? Even if it can protect its own waters, once a Russian ship shows up in, say, a Peruvian port, all NATO has to do is park a sub in international waters and wait for it to come back out. Boom!

What happens? How do you think this plays out?

Timeline 2: The Next Pacific War

Sometime in the next few years, China expands its relations with several small Pacific nations, basically places like Fiji and Papua New Guinea into client states. It uses these Pacific nations (and some in the Indian Ocean, too) as bases, giving it a "string of pearls" that stretches from South Sudan to Micronesia. Each pearl has a major installation, airfields, submarine pens, supply depots, squadrons of ships that are stationed there, lots and lots of SAM missiles and cruise missiles and anything else that might give a potential attacker a hard time. So, when something finally triggers a conflict between China and the US, the US suddenly finds itself fighting a China that has become, to an extent, an oceanic power like itself with a global reach. China, in 2025, might have four or five carrier groups (and could probably deploy three or four at a time), dozens of attack subs (about a third of them nuclear), and a ferocious number of advanced aircraft. Not as many as the US and its allies, perhaps, but they don't have to invade; all they have to do is survive. If those pearls are still there at the end of the war and their influence remains unbroken, China wins.

Thoughts? Observations? Comments?
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 12:28:22 AM   
Dysta

What about two superpowers caught their coincidental time to launch both the attacks at Baltic/Berling Sea, Western Pacific and SCS against US and neighbor countries? To test the really seasoned player the combined force and counter several ambushes and frontline assaults simultaneously?

The ultimate winning point for the US is to successfully repel both their forces without stepping into serious political disaster, or the use of nuclear weapon. The risk however is inconceivable, as few fleets and military bases are inescapable to be destroyed. Only the critical and major part of units can fight on, and have slightly bigger advantage as long as the player has planned carefully.

You can based on these suggestions you have for Russian units, and tone down the Chinese power like only 2 carriers and substantial amount of destroyers. The timeline could possibly around 2018-2023, as the new president of US cannot retain global order, and war is the first and only thing to answer the world who got the true power.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 9/6/2016 12:37:48 AM >

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 3:05:34 AM   
kevinkins

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

TL#1 The farther you push the start date into the future, the more plausible the situation since you can "strengthen" Russia and weaken "NATO". Today, Russia is not in any position to Go Global. Using hypothetical systems in a war maybe > 5 years from now would add sex appeal to the combat. BTW, NATO would not take heavy losses on the ground. They would give up the Baltic without a real fight or present such a strong deterrent Russia would not attack (IMHO). But I like the general idea of the wide spread blockade using ultra modern weapons.

TL#2 Before China's string of pearls takes shape, a previous major war would have to have been lost by the USN. That hypothetical conflict would be interesting all by itself. So maybe take a step back to a war where China tries to establish what amounts to position like the Japanese tried with the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" in WWII.

Something to add to your thinking re: TL#2 is the growing importance of Vietnam. And the fact their people fought off both the US and China over a generation ago. Might provide the spark for the tinder box from which the scenario unfolds. Strategic and war torn Vietnam, the Poland of the 21st Century.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 3:29:11 AM   
Dysta

Either way, this is possibly becomes the world war 2.9, if not 3 because the restriction of nuclear warfare. I can sense these scenarios will be two-fives (most difficult).

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 5:31:35 AM   
Nightwatch

You’ll run into big issues with the 2025 timeframe. The database isn’t there yet.
I’m currently trying to build some sort of Pacific Campaign myself which is set in 2020. Its doable, but it have quite a list of stuff that is simply missing or outdated.

Anyway, IMO it wouldn’t be possible for China to build up its global presence in this timeframe.
Yes, they are building like crazy in the South China Sea but it’s a long (political, military, logistical) way from a buildup in their own frontyard to major fleet bases in the greater pacific region.
Other than that, they are building one small base in Djibouti. They have quite a lot of civilian projects going on at various airports and ports going on, buts it’s a long way from that to military bases too.
Especially since their current naval buildup will not be sustainable for another decade. Their economy growth is slowing down considerable and they’ll run into a bursting bubble or two in the next couple of years.
This will cut into their naval construction and other procurement / building projects. Obviously they’ll still be damn impressive, but I highly doubt that 5 theoretical deployable carriers will be remotely possible within a decade. Let alone the screening ships to go with tit and the logistical chain to support operations thousands of miles from mainland China.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 5:58:40 AM   
Dysta

Nightwatch, you don't have to overspeculate geopolitical and current world issues to predict future military strengths. It might be possible, but the true fun for CMANO is to find out how to win or lose the war from all the possible outcomes, hence the word 'scenario'.

If mgellis want a scenario for the adventurous warfare to portray the US's dusky future, so be it. But like I said, US always have upper hand in military strength, even lagged after one or two decades.

The only possibility to include economical disaster and/or full-blown civil war, is to militarily intervened them (like deliberately detain or attack civilian trade ships/planes, directly support rebels, or declared war imminent situation to force the world step into economical crisis). But that is only affecting the non-military factors rather than actually crippling them, especially for superpowers.

(in reply to Nightwatch)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 6:26:01 AM   
Nightwatch

Nothing wrong with having fun. But mgellis did ask for feedback.
If realism isnt a factor, set the conflict to 2020. The database just doesnt support a 2025 conflict yet.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 6:52:46 AM   
Dysta

Aye. 2018 is a bit too early, but it's the best the CMANO have for not being too wildly futuristic.

(in reply to Nightwatch)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 1:03:13 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nightwatch

Nothing wrong with having fun. But mgellis did ask for feedback.
If realism isnt a factor, set the conflict to 2020. The database just doesnt support a 2025 conflict yet.

Sure it can. When new stuff comes on line you can just update.

Mike

(in reply to Nightwatch)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 1:03:52 PM   
mikmykWS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

Aye. 2018 is a bit too early, but it's the best the CMANO have for not being too wildly futuristic.

According to who

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/6/2016 1:19:12 PM   
Dysta

Wait, you are working on it!? Awesome! More pewpews and stormtroope- woops.

I will be impressed and love to try that.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/7/2016 5:23:38 PM   
Tailhook

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta
What about two superpowers caught their coincidental time to launch both the attacks at Baltic/Berling Sea, Western Pacific and SCS against US and neighbor countries? To test the really seasoned player the combined force and counter several ambushes and frontline assaults simultaneously?

Besides the fact that the unit count would nuke most computers I imagine, this would also nuke the human brain. At the level of command where one person is controlling two theaters seperated by several thousand miles of terrain he has a whole staff of people with staffs of people working under him to control subordinate forces at a level equivalent to CMANO. That would simply be too much for one person to handle. The AI is good but not quite good enough to take that much of a hands off approach to be satisfying.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenario ideas...seeking feedback - 9/7/2016 11:04:48 PM   
SSN754planker

How about a scen on how the Chinese plan to defend their African naval base? From maybe India and or US or Brits (get to try out the new QE carrier)

MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754

(in reply to Tailhook)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Scenario ideas...seeking feedback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI