Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/29/2016 5:07:54 PM   
geofflambert

I don't know how a Val could have a classic dogfight with a Corsair, but never mind...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 841
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/2/2016 9:29:40 PM   
geofflambert

Read a story today. Some knucklehead in South Carolina just did a holocaust on honeybees. It was inspired by the fright about the Zika virus. Anyways, the commercial beekeepers and the hobbyists (expensive hobby by the way)were not warned ahead of time about the anti-mosquito fogging as is customary, plus the fogging was done during the day when bees are most active as opposed to at night when mosquitoes are most active. This knucklehead apologized. Thanks, you are forgiven for wiping out the livelihoods of all those apiarists. I understand the threat of the Zika virus, but somewhere between one quarter to one third of the vegetable matter that we Americans call food requires honeybees for pollination. We already have a big problem with colony collapse disorder and with nicotinoid pesticides being applied in the wrong places or at the wrong times. I don't know what they were using, I'm sure it wasn't Zyklon-B, they used to make an aerosol of kerosene (which sounds really dangerous) but it was in the late evening or at night. Not just honeybees were affected, it killed all sorts of other beneficial insects that respirate heavily during the day.

I give this a big Huh?

Post #: 842
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/3/2016 12:12:57 PM   
Orm

So are the beekeepers going to get some sort of compensation for their loss of bees?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 843
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/3/2016 1:11:55 PM   
wdolson

Additionally mosquitoes are nocturnal, spraying for them during the day is not going to be effective.

On a tangential note, I was watering in the greenhouse the other day and thinking about the citrus trees that were in full bloom and covered with bees. I suspect there is a wild honeybee colony or two in the neighborhood, but if someone is raising bees I wonder what they are going to think when they get citrus honey. Washington State is not known for its citrus for a reason.

No shortage of bees around here. I cultivate mason bees in the spring to pollinate my fruit trees, the honey bees come out in legions when the temps reach the 50s, and they love the rosemary bushes which bloom in February and March. This year we discovered a bumble bee nest under the deck. We were cleaning out under there, but decided to leave them alone when the nest was uncovered.

I like to encourage bees, though the citrus trees have also turned into a praying mantis feeder. I've seen a big female in there off and on when watering the last couple of weeks. She's usually hunkered down which is what they do when they aren't hungry, and this time of year a female needs to be very well fed to not be hungry. I buy praying mantis egg cases every year and put them out as they hatch. They spread out across the neighborhood and I notice none of the neighbors use pesticides.

The Chinese praying mantises don't breed well here though. The warm season is too short. I hatch them in ziplocks in the house and put them out. There is no shortage of prey in the spring, it's just they aren't adapted to this climate and they don't get the "hatch" trigger until they are exposed to several days of above 70F temps which usually doesn't happen here until late June, but I can get them to hatch in late March/April indoors.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 844
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/3/2016 2:16:53 PM   
Orm

quote:

Additionally mosquitoes are nocturnal

This depends on the species of mosquito. Some are active during the day. Most mosquito species are the most active during dusk or dawn.

I actually read that this can change. In a part of Africa where they 'installed' mosquito nets over all the sleeping places the mosquitoes became more day active. I suspect that this needs to be examined further before considered a fact.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 845
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/3/2016 2:33:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

.........It was inspired by the fright about the Zika virus......

warspite1

When I arrived in Florida last month they said there were a few cases in the south of the state - and these were travel related.

But as each day passed so there seemed to be more reports - the first reports of non-travel related cases were followed by reports of the outbreak heading further north.

I guess the only consolation is that now the US are directly affected, they will do what they have to to get this under control. I can imagine there are those on the board of Disney (to name one) who are more than a little alarmed by the spread north of this disease.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/3/2016 2:34:48 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 846
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/3/2016 4:26:29 PM   
witpqs

quote:

The Chinese praying mantises don't breed well here though. The warm season is too short. I hatch them in ziplocks in the house and put them out. There is no shortage of prey in the spring, it's just they aren't adapted to this climate and they don't get the "hatch" trigger until they are exposed to several days of above 70F temps which usually doesn't happen here until late June, but I can get them to hatch in late March/April indoors.

Air (lack of) isn't a problem that way (inside the zip locks)?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 847
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/3/2016 11:33:31 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Additionally mosquitoes are nocturnal, spraying for them during the day is not going to be effective.

On a tangential note, I was watering in the greenhouse the other day and thinking about the citrus trees that were in full bloom and covered with bees. I suspect there is a wild honeybee colony or two in the neighborhood, but if someone is raising bees I wonder what they are going to think when they get citrus honey. Washington State is not known for its citrus for a reason.

No shortage of bees around here. I cultivate mason bees in the spring to pollinate my fruit trees, the honey bees come out in legions when the temps reach the 50s, and they love the rosemary bushes which bloom in February and March. This year we discovered a bumble bee nest under the deck. We were cleaning out under there, but decided to leave them alone when the nest was uncovered.

I like to encourage bees, though the citrus trees have also turned into a praying mantis feeder. I've seen a big female in there off and on when watering the last couple of weeks. She's usually hunkered down which is what they do when they aren't hungry, and this time of year a female needs to be very well fed to not be hungry. I buy praying mantis egg cases every year and put them out as they hatch. They spread out across the neighborhood and I notice none of the neighbors use pesticides.

Bill

I'm going to go tangentially to your tangent. Many years ago Francis Ford Coppola got his hands on some pasta making machinery that was brass. Everything at the time and now, I believe, is stainless steel. The brass machinery would cause the pasta to fracture in such a way that the end product would carry more sauce.
I got some of his pasta and it was amazing. But I got something else too. He also sold some olive oil made from olives that grew near citrus groves. The bees somehow transferred something to the olives, when you opened a can of his olive oil you could smell the oranges. That was the best olive oil I ever had, by far. Unfortunately he is in his dotage now and these unique products are no longer available.
He also produced some wine but I'm entering my dotage and don't remember what it was like.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 848
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 7:32:08 AM   
wdolson

Interesting thing on the olive oil. Francis Ford Coppola is an interesting guy.

In California they grow oranges in the foothills of the Sierras. My sister lives in Bakersfield and you can smell the orange blossoms in the spring even though the groves are about 20 miles away.

It smells a lot better than garlic. I work for a company in Morgan Hill, CA which is the next town up the road from Gilroy, which is advertised as the garlic capital of the world. One time when I was down there I came out of my hotel and it smelled like someone was burning a whole lot of tires. It turned out they were harvesting garlic down the road.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 849
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 1:00:32 PM   
geofflambert

Well, don't get all snooty on us Bill. The garlic capital of the world! I live not far from Collinsville, Illinois, the horseradish capital of the world. About two thirds of all the horseradish in the world is harvested in the area. If that isn't enough for you, Collinsville also has the world's largest catsup bottle. It's also bigger than anyone else's ketchup bottle.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 850
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 1:09:27 PM   
geofflambert

Heinz (I used to have a little stock of theirs, but stupidly sold it before they merged with Kraft (who I also used to have a little stock in)) says their ketchup is fancy. Well fancy schmancy, you can see from the bottle that Brook's Catsup is the tangyest!

edit: I had to correct the stupid spellcheck here that changed tangyest to tangiest. It just tried to do that again but I was wise to it.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/4/2016 1:32:30 PM >

Post #: 851
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 1:13:36 PM   
geofflambert

CATSUP!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 852
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 1:20:37 PM   
geofflambert

Hunt's used to make catsup. As I recall they were the main sponsor of one of the stupidest TV shows of all time, "My Three Sons" with Fred McMurray. Due to their undying embarrassment about that, they stopped making catsup and now make ketchup.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 853
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 1:26:40 PM   
geofflambert

Fred's main job on the show was to (once in a while) pull the stupid pipe out of his mouth and say something incredibly wise.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 854
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 1:37:59 PM   
geofflambert

Just in case you didn't believe me that Hunt's used to make catsup, here is the proof:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 855
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 2:51:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Heinz (I used to have a little stock of theirs, but stupidly sold it before they merged with Kraft (who I also used to have a little stock in)) says their ketchup is fancy. Well fancy schmancy, you can see from the bottle that Brook's Catsup is the tangyest!

edit: I had to correct the stupid spellcheck here that changed tangyest to tangiest. It just tried to do that again but I was wise to it.

Well, we know now where the horseradish went ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 856
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/4/2016 9:59:21 PM   
Orm

Has it come down to this? Different names for tomato sauce?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 857
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/5/2016 12:04:34 AM   
geofflambert

Yes and no. There are two kinds of tomato sauce, one being meat sauce which you can make in your own kitchen and I adore it. The other is marinara sauce (which means of the sea, don't ask me why) which has no meat but does have basil and can, if you like have Italian parsley. I can make this promise to you, if elected president I will have anyone who thinks cilantro is a good substitute for Italian parsley deported to Venezuela. If any of you have a yen for toasted ravioli, you can order it from Mama Toscano's here on "the hill". She can ship it frozen to your doorstep along with meat sauce and/or marinara sauce and either vegetarian (spinach and cheese filling) or regular (a lamb and veal mix I believe). You might want to have some grated parmesan handy. Do not, on pain of death, warm up ravioli, whether toasted or not, in a microwave.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 858
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/6/2016 7:48:48 PM   
geofflambert

Please help. Only 25 cents a day can save a poor old lizard like me.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0906/Why-climate-change-is-particularly-dangerous-for-lizards

Post #: 859
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/6/2016 8:09:28 PM   
BillBrown

But you are not a lizard, you are a Gorn. There is a lot of difference. Besides, you have a starship and can move to a cooler planet if you need to.

Post #: 860
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/6/2016 8:47:20 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

But you are not a lizard, you are a Gorn. There is a lot of difference. Besides, you have a starship and can move to a cooler planet if you need to.

Now that's downright unpatriotic. What planet is cooler than Earth?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 861
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/6/2016 11:07:15 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

quote:

Uranus?

Post #: 862
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 6:51:52 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Uranus?

Oh yuck! Incidentally, on reptiles its a cloaca ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 863
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 6:58:01 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Now that's downright unpatriotic.
warspite1

You sound like Sam Eagle

Attachment (1)

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 864
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 5:36:52 PM   
geofflambert

I planted some milkweed in my garden this year. I now have actually seen a Monarch butterfly visiting it. All the plants have gone to seed so it wasn't, I suppose, looking to feed. Crossing my fingers that it was a she and she was depositing eggs. Pic isn't real good as it was flitting around a lot and I was lucky to get this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 865
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 5:37:32 PM   
geofflambert

another

Attachment (1)

Post #: 866
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 7:33:47 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I planted some milkweed in my garden this year. I now have actually seen a Monarch butterfly visiting it. All the plants have gone to seed so it wasn't, I suppose, looking to feed. Crossing my fingers that it was a she and she was depositing eggs. Pic isn't real good as it was flitting around a lot and I was lucky to get this.

I thought they only laid eggs in the forests of southern Mexico, near the borders, and in northern areas during our summer? Isn't STL too cold for eggs to survive until spring - and doesn't the milkweed above ground die off during the winter?

Post #: 867
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 7:44:04 PM   
geofflambert

No, actually they don't lay eggs in Mexico at all. During their migration north, five generations are produced along the way with most of the progenitors dying along the way. The adults who return to Mexico and some places in southern CA do not reproduce while there, normally. It's important to have milkweed growing as early as possible each year so that the 1st generation of eggs can be laid. Since I just planted this spring it wasn't soon enough for that but as they are perennials they will be fine next spring. The hope here is if there have been eggs layed and adults emerge in time that they head south to overwinter rather than try and complete the migration north.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 868
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 7:47:50 PM   
geofflambert

In any case, I have lots more seed now to plant and if I plant now it will come up in plenty of time for the next migration.

Post #: 869
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/7/2016 7:53:45 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I thought they only laid eggs in the forests of southern Mexico, near the borders, and in northern areas during our summer? Isn't STL too cold for eggs to survive until spring - and doesn't the milkweed above ground die off during the winter?

Oh, and it is actually northwestern Mexico and the habitat has been ravaged both by storms knocking down the trees they collect on and illicit lumberjacks. I'm wondering if artificial trees could be manufactured which could stand in for the real thing, I just don't know enough about it.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI