Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 12/5/2014 7:20:21 PM   
jackyo123

Hey Folks

I took PCEllsworth's (and might work too with Andy Mac's 1942 GC that is pbem only) GC 1942 mod and played it. Was good for a while but the AI wasnt as solid as I would have liked.

I looked through the scripts and he left all the trigger scripts for defending the island groups in, but the phillipines defenses, central pacific defenses, etc scripts were removed (he replaced them with some cool attack scripts)

So i took the various AI scripts (quiet china dec8 and regular GC dec 8) and found that by copying the quiet china dec8 ai script and renaming it to be the pcellsworth ai script worked quite well. All the original early move scripts are fine as they are 'dead' (since the japanese already own the bases) and the centpac and trigger scripts work well. The only real issue on some is that the LCU units mentioned in various 1942/43 attack/invasions cripts may not be placed well - i fised this by enabling all the ships under the 'enhanced japanese' section of the editor, and adding about 5 APs in all the main big japanese ports (for about 35 additional ships).

ive played to early 1944 and the game plays remarkably well as the allies against AI japan.

so - for those like me who want to play a 1942 campaign, its not too difficult to set up!
Post #: 1
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 12/7/2014 11:49:25 AM   
jakla1027

jackyo123,

Would you be willing to share your 1942 GC files you've made? I'd love to try playing the 42 Scenario with a decent AI script, & it sounds like you've created one.

(in reply to jackyo123)
Post #: 2
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 12/8/2014 8:16:50 PM   
jackyo123

I would - i need permission from pcellsworth first as the base is his.

its REALLY quite easy even with no tweaks. simply rename the ai...dat file for the scenario number for pcellsworth's scenario to ai....hld and then rename the original ai file you want (I use the dec 8th) from the original to the ai....dat and voila!

There are some NASTY surprises in store - like a very quick attack on efate and the surrounding areas and a very strong port moresby push. stronger than stock.

I toned that down a bit, as I dont want to have to move my new zealand forces on may 1 to efate and luganville, and you only have about a week to get them there or you lose the bases. I don't want such frenetic action, so I've removed the jap TF that goes there, and set the Port Moresby TF back by about a week.

I've also added all the enhanced japanese scen ships and maybe 50 additional smaller ak's/mini tankers for the allies (as well as a much larger number of patrol craft in the continental US to simulate some of the early wartime measures that were taken there)

all told, maybe 3 hours spent in the scneario editor, so not a big time investment and makes for a quite playable game.

Again these are easy changes to make.

(in reply to jakla1027)
Post #: 3
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 12/9/2014 11:15:08 AM   
jakla1027

Ok,

So if I'm following you right I rename the files as follows, (for my setup)

pcellsworth's scenario in my folder is 065, so I renamed the aei065.dat file to aei065.hld

Then to use the Dec. 8th (quiet China) full campaign scenario. I took/copied aei009-1.dat & renamed it to aei065-1.dat

Is this the correct setup of the ai files?

Thanks for your help jackyo123!!!

oh and also what are you referring to & how did you set this up in your setup,

"I've also added all the enhanced Japanese scen ships"

< Message edited by jakla1027 -- 12/9/2014 12:20:32 PM >

(in reply to jackyo123)
Post #: 4
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 12/13/2014 9:52:30 PM   
jackyo123

yes - you renamed the .dat file of the scenario in question - in this case, #65 - and rename the stock ai file (#1,#2, etc) to the #65 spot you just put on hold.

now a few caveats: you may choose to make some minor edits to bring down the 'rush' to port moresby by the japanese that is, imho, impossible to resist. To do so - go in the editor, to the ai data tab, and look for the scripts that involve port moresby.

specifically -script 047 - change the destination ID to BUNA to have them offload to Buna (or if you want them to invade port moresby then leave it in) and script #218. same thing, remove PM as one of the assualt bases (leaving buna in alone is fine, and the ai might then later move over the kokoda trail and attack overland)

if you dont remove these scripts then it is, imho, impossible to save port moresby unless you get VERY lucky with your early air combat TF's - and i mean, really really really lucky. I tried the first month of the game at least 15 times and i only held moresby 2x.

again, easy to do this, and makes for a great game either way.

(in reply to jakla1027)
Post #: 5
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 3/8/2015 1:01:07 PM   
jakla1027

Bump

jackyo123,

still need some help with the scripting, sent you a PM

(in reply to jackyo123)
Post #: 6
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 4/11/2015 3:43:13 AM   
pcellsworth

go ahead and have fun. I don't get to play much anymore.

(in reply to jakla1027)
Post #: 7
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 8/19/2015 9:48:23 PM   
Khanti

It seems you got your permission. Maybe you could upload your version of the mod?

(in reply to jackyo123)
Post #: 8
RE: Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine - 9/18/2016 6:29:19 PM   
mcp5500

I changed the end date on the PM script to May, 9 1942. This models the Coral sea campaign (stock) otherwise PM is attacked by Truk for 2 months. You can't save PM. I just tried the change and on on May 6th and the sea battle for PM is over. Does the change you are offering here give you a quite China campaign for PCEllsworth's campaign?.

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Grand Campaign 1942 AI recopy works fine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI