Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 - 8/21/2016 2:56:05 AM   
vettim89

I submit to you a scenario depicting the USN/CIA cable tapping program in the late 1970s and 1980s. This is a very slow paced scenario that is VERY hard to survive let alone win. Test you sub driver skills.

Yes, there is a twist

Attachment (1)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Post #: 1
RE: New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 - 9/21/2016 2:38:50 AM   
CassioM

I consider it a shame that no one has commented on this great scenario. I always loved this kind of operations involving submarines (especially Ivy Bells). Your scenario is superb and I enjoy its difficulty. Congratulations.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 2
RE: New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 - 9/21/2016 3:48:56 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: CassioM

I consider it a shame that no one has commented on this great scenario. I always loved this kind of operations involving submarines (especially Ivy Bells). Your scenario is superb and I enjoy its difficulty. Congratulations.

Thanks, CassioM. I designed this thing and found it about impossible to win. The narrative it is based upon has the US sub being sunk. Very hard to not make that happen

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to CassioM)
Post #: 3
RE: New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 - 9/22/2016 10:50:03 PM   
CassioM

Hello vettim. I totally agree that your scenario is quite difficult. But for me it was not impossible to complete because I know the particularities of submarines. I as usual try to finish three times each and every scenario that I experiment before opening it in mission editor to know how it was built. I managed to finish your scenario three times using a few different strategies. The main strategy is to abuse the use of the thermal layer. In your scenario the layer is located between 300 and 400 feet. Throughout the course to the goal objective and after I kept a depth of 330 feet within the thermocline, and 440 feet below the thermocline. I never climbed above the thermocline depth. It certainly helped that I was not detected or destroyed. I used the speed of 15 knots until reach about 90 miles east from the goal objective. Then followed the rest of course at 5 knots until get inside the quadrangle where is the cable. Inside the objective I remained circling at 2 knots for two hours until completed the operation. After completing the goal, I departed at 5 knots until 80 miles east from the goal and accelerated to 15 knots to the exit.

I liked your scenario. I would like to see others involving the Parche, the Halibut and also Jimmy Carter.

Cassio

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 4
RE: New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 - 9/23/2016 1:19:30 AM   
Gunner98

Northern Fury 9.7 Sub Surge has the Mendel Rivers on a cable tapping task. It's one of the missions you need to accomplish with 9 subs. Narwhal has to do some Sigint snooping, James K Polk has to drop of some SOF. The rest need to survive and track down a boomer which I don't think anyone has found yet.

Its quite a tough one, haven't heard of anyone playing it in a while but the cable tap is the mission most scrubbed as being too risky. Probably right.

Haven't had a chance to play this one though.

B

(in reply to CassioM)
Post #: 5
RE: New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 - 9/24/2016 6:49:22 PM   
CassioM

Hi Gunner

I've played some episodes of this great series 'Northern Fury'. But I did not pay much attention to this particular scenario. I will certainly explore it. Thank you.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Scenario for Testing - Operation Ivy Bells, 1983 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI