Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/27/2016 1:37:37 PM   
101Man

It is October '43 and both ships are in Pearl shipyard repairs on High since Dec 08 '41...WV has a sys/flt/eng damage of 70/39/45 and CA has 73/52/37. Historically the ships were seaworthy to get back to the West Coast (CA in June '42 and WV in May '43)...what did I do wrong? Looks like they would still sink if left out of Pearl.
Post #: 1
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/27/2016 1:40:15 PM   
Alpha77

Can you post a pic of the repair screen, that would be the best to troubleshoot seriously ?

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 2
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/27/2016 1:58:40 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: 101Man

It is October '43 and both ships are in Pearl shipyard repairs on High since Dec 08 '41...WV has a sys/flt/eng damage of 70/39/45 and CA has 73/52/37. Historically the ships were seaworthy to get back to the West Coast (CA in June '42 and WV in May '43)...what did I do wrong? Looks like they would still sink if left out of Pearl.

Most likely a combo of many things.

You should have left them on Pierside repair to get the System damage way down before worrying about major flooding. If you had gotten the system down you could have moved them to the WC semi-safely with flooding in the 50s.

You probably also overloaded PH with other ships needing repair. You might have adjusted priorities on those ships as well, putting them ahead in the queue.

Read this if you haven't. Much will become clear.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2990845&mpage=1&key=ship%2Crepair

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/27/2016 1:59:04 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 3
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/27/2016 7:22:21 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Yes, put them on pierside repairs. That way only sys will repair and will repair faster than if in the yard. If set at cruise speed you are 95% assured that a BB with 50 flotation will make it to the West Coast. (I have sent them with 80 flotation and made it. But don't try it) Get the sys to zero and then move them to the WC asap. Send them to your biggest yards. You generally need Pearl for other repairs.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 4
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/27/2016 7:29:37 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Most likely a combo of many things.

You should have left them on Pierside repair to get the System damage way down before worrying about major flooding. If you had gotten the system down you could have moved them to the WC semi-safely with flooding in the 50s.

You probably also overloaded PH with other ships needing repair. You might have adjusted priorities on those ships as well, putting them ahead in the queue.

Read this if you haven't. Much will become clear.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2990845&mpage=1&key=ship%2Crepair

I disagree slightly, he should have shuffled them! However, shuffling is difficult (or really just rather slow) at high levels of system damage. I've noticed that ships with high system damage repair very slowly until the system damage gets lower - whether at pier side or in the yards.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/27/2016 8:52:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I disagree slightly, he should have shuffled them! However, shuffling is difficult (or really just rather slow) at high levels of system damage. I've noticed that ships with high system damage repair very slowly until the system damage gets lower - whether at pier side or in the yards.

He could have shuffled them, but not everyone considers that technique legit.

The Moose

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 12:35:03 AM   
SheperdN7

Shuffling? I don't think I've heard this term before.

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

Post #: 7
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 12:51:38 AM   
rustysi

Its where you take a vessel in/out of the shipyard to get it to repair a bit faster. There was a thread on it a while back, I haven't bothered with it as there's just too little gain for a lot more micro-management. I feel I have enough of that already. I believe it was Lokasenna who uses the method, personally I don't have a problem with its use. Maybe he'll add or point you to the thread when he's back on the site.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 8
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 12:52:56 AM   
Big B

Here's the deal - the posters above who said pier side first to reduce sys damage are correct.
Think of it this way - the ships are settled on the bottom (essentially sunk) - if you put them in repair yard right away (which is logical) it's like dragging a wreck to another place.
If you do pier side, think of it as pumping out the water to re-float first (very logical) then when sys damage is low - move it to repair yard for more rapid repairs...but you just don't drag it over there while it's sitting on the bottom.

It may not make sense to you - but that's how it works best.

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 9
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 1:36:06 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Its where you take a vessel in/out of the shipyard to get it to repair a bit faster. There was a thread on it a while back, I haven't bothered with it as there's just too little gain for a lot more micro-management. I feel I have enough of that already. I believe it was Lokasenna who uses the method, personally I don't have a problem with its use. Maybe he'll add or point you to the thread when he's back on the site.

I'm playing him, so we've discussed it a fair bit. The gains can be quite substantial, but you do have to keep on top of the shuffling. If you play as a sim you won't like it as it posits an instant shift from on-the-blocks in the yard to pierside, and then back again. Going onto or off blocks is a major evolution in RL, as is securing watertight integrity before flooding the dock.

The Moose

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 6:36:11 AM   
szmike

For me after 1st turn high sys damage ships go to pier, low damage ships go to shipyard. The latter don't use points needed for pierside repairs and are quite quickly repaired anyway to get out of queue.
Pierside repairs also reduce floatation and engine damage, unless it's major. Although major damage under 5 points can be repaired in certain conditions.

As I understand shuffling means ships get repair points from both shipyard and pierside repair efforts, right? I don't see how it could be more efficient overall though, except for some badly needed ships you want to repair asap.

Post #: 11
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 7:26:48 AM   
Yaab

quote:

101Man, the blast from the past.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3404632&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to 101Man)
Post #: 12
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 12:10:54 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: szmike

As I understand shuffling means ships get repair points from both shipyard and pierside repair efforts, right? I don't see how it could be more efficient overall though, except for some badly needed ships you want to repair asap.

Shuffling is more efficient because the game engine can transfer percent of effort from pierside to shipyard at the transfer. Since pierside provides up to four sources of Repair Points and Shipyard only one, accumulation is quicker in pierside, even though the accumulation is not toward Major Float. When you shuffle the ship from pierside to shipyard the % accumulated toward gaining a point of repaired status doesn't zero out and is applied to Major Float when it reaches 100% in the shipyard.

That's the method Lokasenna is talking about, from memory.

The Moose

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 13
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 9:18:49 PM   
szmike

Thank you for explanation.

That's a lot of micromanagement, ship should start at shipyard, then move to pierside and return to shipyard just before it reaches 100%, so one would have to estimate amount of points added in pierside repairs and keep track of all ships which are supposed to use this trick.

Still an exploit imho.

< Message edited by szmike -- 9/28/2016 9:58:03 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/28/2016 11:27:01 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

That's a lot of micromanagement, ship should start at shipyard, then move to pierside and return to shipyard just before it reaches 100%, so one would have to estimate amount of points added in pierside repairs and keep track of all ships which are supposed to use this trick.

Still an exploit imho.

Not really. The game imposes a three-day penalty to transfer a ship with floatation damage from dockyard to pierside. I think the comment about it happening instantly is the clearing of the dockyard as opposed to the leaving ship being able to start pierside repairs instantly.

I don't know if all the SY points are available to any other ship you put into the dockyard before that three days has elapsed. If they are, that is a weakness in the model but not a serious one IMO.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 15
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/29/2016 5:09:21 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

My BB New Jersey that repaired in 60 days instead of 212 says it's not "too little gain" .

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 16
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/29/2016 5:10:08 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Still an exploit imho.

Not really. The game imposes a three-day penalty to transfer a ship with floatation damage from dockyard to pierside. I think the comment about it happening instantly is the clearing of the dockyard as opposed to the leaving ship being able to start pierside repairs instantly.

I don't know if all the SY points are available to any other ship you put into the dockyard before that three days has elapsed. If they are, that is a weakness in the model but not a serious one IMO.

It does not. The 3-day time period is for setting the ship to Readiness.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/29/2016 7:40:27 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Still an exploit imho.

It does not. The 3-day time period is for setting the ship to Readiness.

OOPS! I got my signals mixed again. Thanks for pointing that out.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 18
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/29/2016 12:19:50 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

In the interface, top right corner of the ship screen while it's being repaired, there is a line that shows the percent toward the next point accrued in Repair Points. So you just establish a cut-off for your shuffle at some number--90% maybe, and then flip the ship into the yard.

In my discussions with Lokasenna we've only ever talked about doing this for carriers and BBs. It might be worth it for CAs. More than that and it does become quite tedious in terms of micromanagement.

The Moose

(in reply to szmike)
Post #: 19
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/29/2016 9:56:17 PM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

My BB New Jersey that repaired in 60 days instead of 212 says it's not "too little gain" .

OK, I didn't remember it being that much of an advantage, and in that case new house rule. You are taking advantage of a weakness in the code. BB's did take a long time to repair no matter which country was doing it. Although I state again, you play your way and I will play mine. It just means we'll never be PBEM opponents. If your opponent hasn't any problem with this way of playing I bow to that. A thousand players, a thousand ways to play.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 20
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/29/2016 11:55:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK, I didn't remember it being that much of an advantage, and in that case new house rule. You are taking advantage of a weakness in the code. BB's did take a long time to repair no matter which country was doing it. Although I state again, you play your way and I will play mine. It just means we'll never be PBEM opponents. If your opponent hasn't any problem with this way of playing I bow to that. A thousand players, a thousand ways to play.

I look at it as good management of resources.
The large port + Command HQ + naval support squads add up to lots of repair points, but they cannot touch float and engineering damage over 5.
The shipyard can handle the major damage but has a limited amount of repair points and lots of demand for its services.

It only makes sense to allocate repair of Sys damage to the port and then the major float/engineering damage to the SY. And if the ship is in danger of sinking when it arrives you need to put it in the SY tout-suite and get the major damage down, then cycle it out to the port when the SY starts working on system damage, then back to the SY to finish the major repairs. I think that is what the game designers had in mind or they would have imposed the three-day penalty for removal of the ship from SY to port repair.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 21
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/30/2016 12:31:13 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

The other times I've done it, it hasn't been a 60%+ reduction. It's been more like 30-40%. In this particular case, the ship was in a sweet spot where:
1) Every day at pier side essentially accrued around 70-80% towards repairing a point of damage (I didn't check the exact numbers, beyond checking to see if the ship was 87%+ and therefore ready to shuffle into the yard)
2) Every day I shuffled her into the yard, it repaired only about 30% or so and was therefore back down around 10-20% repair points with a point of damage knocked off. This was a size 80 yard, and for whatever reason it was just working out that way.

It's worth pointing out that towards the end it did delay the repair of another ship (BB Maryland) because it was down to 0 Sys and not yet at the 5-damage threshold for pier side repairs. At times it also caused me to have to not-shuffle a CVE and such as well because of space concerns in the shipyard. And for the record, the starting damage totals on New Jersey were 18 Sys/29(29) Float/1(1) Engine. Not exactly huge levels of damage. Tracker tells me she arrived at the yard on turn 968 and was repaired on turn 1045: that's 87 days, actually.

Another point of comparison is ARDs (the Allied ones are size 55). It seems to me that setting ships to Critical not only makes sure they're the ones in the ARD (this used to be necessary before Michael fixed the setting/check to not need priority set to a higher priority if the ship was the only one on Repair Ship mode), but also speeds up their repair beyond what a normal size 55 shipyard could do. For example, I currently have an old USN BB in an ARD with nothing but major floatation damage and it's repairing faster in that ARD "size 55 shipyard" on Critical than it would in a size 55 shipyard on Normal (where it wouldn't be able to be set to a higher priority). It's dropping 1 major floatation point every 2 days, which is not that far off from New Jersey's size 80 yard/size 9 (Cape Town) shipyard shuffling repair time if you assume New Jersey's 29 Floatation damage would take 58 or so days in an ARD. At a size 9 port with the ARD going there, it would take about 58 days for the Floatation damage and then about 15-20 for the rest depending on other ship repairs and naval support. That's actually shorter than it took when shuffling her...

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 22
RE: Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California - 9/30/2016 1:11:59 AM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The other times I've done it, it hasn't been a 60%+ reduction. It's been more like 30-40%. In this particular case, the ship was in a sweet spot where:
1) Every day at pier side essentially accrued around 70-80% towards repairing a point of damage (I didn't check the exact numbers, beyond checking to see if the ship was 87%+ and therefore ready to shuffle into the yard)
2) Every day I shuffled her into the yard, it repaired only about 30% or so and was therefore back down around 10-20% repair points with a point of damage knocked off. This was a size 80 yard, and for whatever reason it was just working out that way.

It's worth pointing out that towards the end it did delay the repair of another ship (BB Maryland) because it was down to 0 Sys and not yet at the 5-damage threshold for pier side repairs. At times it also caused me to have to not-shuffle a CVE and such as well because of space concerns in the shipyard. And for the record, the starting damage totals on New Jersey were 18 Sys/29(29) Float/1(1) Engine. Not exactly huge levels of damage. Tracker tells me she arrived at the yard on turn 968 and was repaired on turn 1045: that's 87 days, actually.

Another point of comparison is ARDs (the Allied ones are size 55). It seems to me that setting ships to Critical not only makes sure they're the ones in the ARD (this used to be necessary before Michael fixed the setting/check to not need priority set to a higher priority if the ship was the only one on Repair Ship mode), but also speeds up their repair beyond what a normal size 55 shipyard could do. For example, I currently have an old USN BB in an ARD with nothing but major floatation damage and it's repairing faster in that ARD "size 55 shipyard" on Critical than it would in a size 55 shipyard on Normal (where it wouldn't be able to be set to a higher priority). It's dropping 1 major floatation point every 2 days, which is not that far off from New Jersey's size 80 yard/size 9 (Cape Town) shipyard shuffling repair time if you assume New Jersey's 29 Floatation damage would take 58 or so days in an ARD. At a size 9 port with the ARD going there, it would take about 58 days for the Floatation damage and then about 15-20 for the rest depending on other ship repairs and naval support. That's actually shorter than it took when shuffling her...

OK agreed, the damage you're showing is not that extensive. Maybe I need to think on this some more. Thanks.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Repairing USS West Virginia and USS California Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI