Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Magic Torpedoes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Magic Torpedoes Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 12:35:59 AM   
Zigurat666

I have a base size 3 port size 3 airfield that has a squad of betties. The only HQ within 1000 miles is a Naval HQ and there are no other torpedo capable LCU's present, yet this squadron has torpedoes loaded every turn. I cant figure out how this is working?
Post #: 1
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 12:42:10 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zigurat666

I have a base size 3 port size 3 airfield that has a squad of betties. The only HQ within 1000 miles is a Naval HQ and there are no other torpedo capable LCU's present, yet this squadron has torpedoes loaded every turn. I cant figure out how this is working?

What ships in harbor?

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 2
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 1:04:09 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Should it matter if there are torpedo carrying ships at harbor? I mean he mentioned Betties, which are not carrier capable

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 1:16:30 AM   
Alpha77

I wanted to ask the same :) But did also not ask TOO many stupid questions, so OP thanks :) I was told that air HQs will supply torps to bases in range. However like the OP I now have "yellow" torps with NO HQ in range. But it is TRUK so a BIG base...

But also OP says "size3" field, so with 2E Betties they should not fly a mission with torps anyway, needs size 4 for 2E iirc...if it were 1E torp planes than I guess size 3 is enough.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/27/2016 1:18:33 AM >

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 4
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 8:10:39 AM   
Chris21wen

If I remember correctly there are two (might be one) so called Japanese Naval HQs that are in fact Command HQs. The Naval HQ you mention might be one of these.

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 5
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 11:12:29 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

If I remember correctly there are two (might be one) so called Japanese Naval HQs that are in fact Command HQs. The Naval HQ you mention might be one of these.

Likely that Combined Fleet supplies them with torpedoes.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 6
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 11:29:30 AM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

Likely that Combined Fleet supplies them with torpedoes.

Klink, Oberst

Nav HQ´s do not have torpdoes, and comb. fleet does not have them too.

Still wondering if the yellow torp is just an error. I checked again and def. there is no air HQ in range but both the Kates and Betties are yellow. This is why I speculated before that the planes brought with them some torps from their former location (which then needed to have torp supply, in this case for Bettys an air HQ and for Kates the CV they came from)

Edit, the Mavis located at the base with the comb.fleet has torp in red, means none are there.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/27/2016 11:39:29 AM >

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 7
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 11:56:07 AM   
Oberst_Klink

What HQ are they assigned to? What base, how much supply? What port/AF size? Screenshot would help,. too.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 8
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 12:11:01 PM   
MBF

If you move planes already loaded with torpedoes to a new base - don't they 'keep' those torpedoes until used ? That has been my experience playing vs the AI

Post #: 9
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 12:33:22 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBF

If you move planes already loaded with torpedoes to a new base - don't they 'keep' those torpedoes until used ? That has been my experience playing vs the AI

This was my thought too, but some guys more knowledgeable seemed to dismiss this.

@ Oberst: I do not think it matter which HQ planes are assigned to, manual and everyone I read here just say they need to be in range of an air HQ with torps. Not the HQ they are assigned to can only supply torps but ANY HQ....

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 10
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 1:13:30 PM   
HansBolter

Drawing on a very foggy memory, but isn't there at least one function of air HQ's that extends to double their stated range?

Could it perhaps be the supplying of torpedoes?

Could it be that you just think you don't have any air HQs in range?

We really need Alfred to chime in!

Hans

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 11
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 1:14:38 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Only one way to find out... a test, but would be interesting to know which HQ the Bettys are assigned to after all.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 12
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 1:19:37 PM   
Alpha77

Oberst, they are assigned to 23 air flotilla... and the Kates are indipendent (so lucky ones?) I would like to make a test if this was an AI game, I could load the AI turn and send some ships over there to check if these planes really do torp attacks....

Post #: 13
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 1:55:01 PM   
geofflambert

AKEs can turn supply into aerial torpedoes. So despite the small size of the port, if an AKE were present those torpedoes could be present given sufficient supply. Could an IJN AKE supply an IJN Betty squadron with those torpedoes? I don't know. Apparently no one else who's posted here knows either. Is there an AKE in port? Is there any sort of CV or CVL that has an inventory of those in port? Type 91 torpedoes are used by both Betties and Kates. Somebody wanted to figure out how this could happen. Just trying to help.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 14
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 2:00:37 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Oberst, they are assigned to 23 air flotilla... and the Kates are indipendent (so lucky ones?) I would like to make a test if this was an AI game, I could load the AI turn and send some ships over there to check if these planes really do torp attacks....

You haven't listed what LCUs are at the base and which are within 6-9 hexes. Until you do that everyone is swinging wildly.

The Moose

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 15
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 2:23:16 PM   
Alpha77

Why should I list the units the only ones thatcan supply torps are air HQs... and there is none in range. I double checked. Next air HQ with torps is at Rabaul (distance 17 from Truk).There is 4th fleet at Truk which is a naval command HQ, but it has no torp option.

@ Geoff, no AKE, no CV... aux there are AG, AO and AS. Checked other locations with loaded AKE but no torps there.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/27/2016 2:38:43 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 16
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 3:47:15 PM   
BBfanboy

If the squadron had torpedoes when it transferred to the base, I think it will likely continue to fly with them until they are used and then will have to switch to bombs.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 17
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 4:16:50 PM   
btd64

quote:

Why should I list the units the only ones thatcan supply torps are air HQs... and there is none in range. I double checked. Next air HQ with torps is at Rabaul (distance 17 from Truk).There is 4th fleet at Truk which is a naval command HQ, but it has no torp option.

@ Geoff, no AKE, no CV... aux there are AG, AO and AS. Checked other locations with loaded AKE but no torps there.

4th fleet is a "Command HQ" and can supply Torps without a Torp supply device. Range is a factor, but I don't remember the range restriction....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 18
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 4:41:57 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

quote:

Likely that Combined Fleet supplies them with torpedoes.They dont need torpedos for doing that.

Klink, Oberst

Nav HQ´s do not have torpdoes, and comb. fleet does not have them too.

Command HQs do supply torpedos with using supply.

The suspects are
Southern Army
China Area
5th fleet
4th Fleet
Southeast area

All of those can supply torpedos to bases within range.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 9/27/2016 4:46:30 PM >

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 19
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 7:31:46 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBF

This was my thought too, but some guys more knowledgeable seemed to dismiss this.

@ Oberst: I do not think it matter which HQ planes are assigned to, manual and everyone I read here just say they need to be in range of an air HQ with torps. Not the HQ they are assigned to can only supply torps but ANY HQ....

No. The torpedoes do not travel with the planes. You can check this by watching the Using TORPEDOES text turn red when you transfer them to a base that does not have access to torpedoes.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 20
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 8:15:00 PM   
MBF

Just tried this in my AI game - a squadron of Beaufort VIII at Sydney - with the Australia Command HQ located there - Torpedoes are in red

RAAF Command (air hq) is also located there - assigned 20 to Torpedo Ordnance - Torpedoes no longer red

Move to Bowen (size 3 AF) - Torpedoes red

So I stand corrected on my past comment - thanks Lokasenna !

< Message edited by MBF -- 9/27/2016 8:16:30 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 21
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 8:48:37 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

quote:

4th fleet is a "Command HQ" and can supply Torps without a Torp supply device. Range is a factor, but I don't remember the range restriction....GP

That's the reason to list the LCUs.

The Moose

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 22
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 9:45:47 PM   
Zigurat666

ok here is the local garrison. There is "NOTHING" else around

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 23
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 10:48:56 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

Southeast Area fleet provides the torpedos. Its a command HQ.

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 24
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/27/2016 11:42:11 PM   
rustysi

Yay, we got there. Just an FYI, from p165 of the manual.

quote:

Command HQs can directly supply torpedoes to groups by expending supply. It does not need to keep a torpedo reserve.

The range is equal to the HQ's command radius.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 25
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/28/2016 8:30:22 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

AKEs can turn supply into aerial torpedoes. So despite the small size of the port, if an AKE were present those torpedoes could be present given sufficient supply. Could an IJN AKE supply an IJN Betty squadron with those torpedoes? I don't know. Apparently no one else who's posted here knows either. Is there an AKE in port? Is there any sort of CV or CVL that has an inventory of those in port? Type 91 torpedoes are used by both Betties and Kates. Somebody wanted to figure out how this could happen. Just trying to help.

From all I've read and experienced in the game I'd say no. AK/AKE will only supply to ships/subs.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 26
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/28/2016 8:35:03 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

Southeast Area fleet provides the torpedos. Its a command HQ.

As I said before, there's two Japanese Fleet HQs and double as a command HQ. Both have now been identified, the 4th and the this one.

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 27
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/28/2016 12:59:59 PM   
Alpha77

LOL you still learn something new - but command HQs DO NOT HAVE the torpedo option - this is just confusing So 4th fleet provided airborne torps without having any..also why is 4th a command hq but not 1st fleet... 1st sounds "higher" in the hierarchy then 4th.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/28/2016 1:01:27 PM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 28
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/28/2016 2:28:31 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

LOL you still learn something new - but command HQs DO NOT HAVE the torpedo option - this is just confusing So 4th fleet provided airborne torps without having any..also why is 4th a command hq but not 1st fleet... 1st sounds "higher" in the hierarchy then 4th.

Neither did Air HQs originally. The current system was introduced in a patch the thinking I believe was torpedos were not that readily available so some control was needed. No such restriction apply to command HQs.

The numbers do not imply any form of hierarchy other than when they were formed (usually) or, in some instance, areas.

One misnomer in this game is the Combined HQ is a command HQ. It is not, just a fleet HQ and these cannot supply torpedoes. To me it should be and I believe in some scenarios it is.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 29
RE: Magic Torpedoes - 9/28/2016 5:30:43 PM   
Alpha77

Yup comb.fleet is no command HQ, but I believe it is just a "left over" from early period of the war (maby it should be withdraw?). This is why I was confused when ppl said 4. fleet supplies torps, and I checked the combfleet and it does not. But asfaik you also can not assign new units to comb.fleet - so seems "obsolete" eg. you get naval eng units which will combine with some snlf to base forces. But one of them is under combfleet. The other also under some HQ which seems oboslete. The deal is one needs to change both units HQ to combine them (pretty expensive) - but perhaps I am blind and did not find the HQs in the list

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Magic Torpedoes Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI