Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/14/2016 11:36:55 AM   
njp72

Well at least one part of the plan is working well, the trashing of commonwealth army units. There are more trapped Indian and British units outside Singapore (Ceylon, Calcutta, Burma) then in, and now just waiting to be harvested. I suspect with their low replacements rates, I can inflict severe damage to the Indian/ British Army and hopefully not have to worry about them until 43. Mop up China and then head into the real fight- the hated Soviets.

Fall of one of the Ceylon positions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 91
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/14/2016 12:50:50 PM   
ny59giants

The CW troops (Brit, Aussie, Indian) have a shortage of most artillery and some AA devices as replacements. So, the more you destroy the less punch they will have once they get rebuilt. Since I mostly play the Allies, you really need to micro-manage who gets these devices and which LCUs to upgrade. Its difficult to rebuild the two Indian divisions destroyed in Malaya when it come to these devices (usually can get the infantry and engineers to fill out).

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 92
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/20/2016 2:20:48 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

The CW troops (Brit, Aussie, Indian) have a shortage of most artillery and some AA devices as replacements. So, the more you destroy the less punch they will have once they get rebuilt. Since I mostly play the Allies, you really need to micro-manage who gets these devices and which LCUs to upgrade. Its difficult to rebuild the two Indian divisions destroyed in Malaya when it come to these devices (usually can get the infantry and engineers to fill out).

Thanks NY, good advice there and I will continue to track the damage being inflicted on the Commonwealth troops. Thus far I have identified a total of 9 Indian brigades or equivalent that have been eliminated or rendered combat ineffective outside of Malaysia/Singapore and Burma. I suspect rebuilding these units and support elements should hopefully be very difficult.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 93
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/20/2016 2:26:28 AM   
njp72

March 42

Game still progressing at a good pace despite work, home and the continuing 2nd game that Jeff is involved in- (the tenacious and resilient Lowpe just won't lie down

At the moment, despite multiple skirmishes across the map especially around the PIs and the central Pacific, the main game is India.

The 6th Aussie did somehow make it into India right under my guard (and KBs) and has now combined with the other half decent Allied div (Brit 18th) to launch a small counter attack around Bombay. Sensing an opportunity, I grabbed a reserve inf div and dropped it around his flank to cut off the route between Karachi and Bombay.

I sense an opportunity to cross the LOD and push on for Karachi here which should make for a pretty nail biting, exciting game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 94
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/21/2016 3:09:39 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: njp72

I sense an opportunity to cross the LOD and push on for Karachi here which should make for a pretty nail biting, exciting game.

BANZAI!!!!

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 95
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/21/2016 3:09:12 PM   
Bif1961

Looks like a good time to catch some fish in the net as it closes.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 96
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/22/2016 9:35:29 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Looks like a good time to catch some fish in the net as it closes.

Well I am trying but it is a bit harder than what I initially envisaged. Remnants of 3 Indian Brigades and survivors from Burma are running around Calcutta and are being difficult to nail down.

The real question is Bombay. 60K of Allied troops including the 18th Brit and 6th Aussie versus very shortly 6 likely to be 7 IJA veteran divisions. The question is; can I win this set piece battle in a reasonable timeframe without crippling losses and knowing that Singapore remains unconquered.

At this stage I am ruling out a move straight to Karachi with another 50K of troops there as well. The emergency reinforcements look very ugly (and yes they have to get there first) and Jeff has been very effective in running blockade runners through to Karachi. Last turn KB took a small bite out of them but there is also 150 Allied fighters stationed there so I took some nasty hits as well.

If I review my initial concept of ops it was to cripple Indian/ British forces in India for at least 12 months (partially completed) and capture sufficient industry to support my Soviet adventure (again partial success as Calcutta was largely destroyed).

I will stick to the original plan and assess if Bombay can be taken.

< Message edited by njp72 -- 9/22/2016 9:38:29 AM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 97
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/22/2016 1:59:54 PM   
adsoul64

Very interesting AAR, better still if coupled with tiemanj's one. Signed.

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 98
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/25/2016 2:25:21 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: adsoul64

Very interesting AAR, better still if coupled with tiemanj's one. Signed.

Thanks adsoul, glad you are enjoying it

(in reply to adsoul64)
Post #: 99
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/25/2016 2:27:52 AM   
njp72

Critical Battlefield- India

Before I can move on Bombay I need to embark on some enabling operations to ensure the flanks are fully secured. I do not want to have any surprises emerging out of Karachi at an inopportune time.

The naval blockade of Karachi is finally fully in place and sustainable.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 100
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/25/2016 2:33:30 AM   
njp72

China- before I go the Soviets I want to completely crush the Chinese.

After a good start, Jeff has fought well and slowed me right down. I have no interest in slugging it out with the Chinese in rough terrain, so I am currently looking for an opening.

Down south is wide open though I doubt I have the combat power to fully take advantage of this- at least not in the short term.

Reasonably happy with progress but I need to achieve a decisive breakthrough in the next month. I think armour will be the key.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 101
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/25/2016 2:42:38 AM   
njp72

Stragglers-An issue that is slowing down progress in Burma, India and China is the sheer amount of cut off allied units that still retain a degree of combat power. They can't be fully ignored as they can still attack bases, weak support units and cut off supply/rail lines.

Probably one of the very few mistakes Jeff has made was the initial deployment of quite a few units to far forward in Burma. This has allowed me to cut off quite a few including the 1st Burma Div, but destroying all of these stragglers is very time consuming and occasional not easy.

I think the way Jeff is playing is a good example to many Allied players in early 42- no matter how dire the potential situation may be, don't panic and calmly look at hurting the Empire at every opportunity. All because you are cut off doesn't mean you are beaten

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 102
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/25/2016 10:51:53 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

The naval blockade of Karachi is finally fully in place and sustainable.

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 103
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/25/2016 10:57:34 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I think armour will be the key.

+1

The last few AAR's, it seems that the allied player is defending well against an anticipated IJ attack from the Xian axis. It would appear that a feint to Xian and a main axis of advance North from Kweiyang would be the better choice these days.

The allied player cannot defend both well, so the IJ player cannot allow his axis of advance to be so well anticipated. As you note, defense in x3 terrain in depth can take a long time to crack, costs a lot of supply, and ties up too many units too long ... ie accomplishing all of the allied goals of the early war

Just an observation ....

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 104
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 9/25/2016 10:58:23 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I think the way Jeff is playing is a good example to many Allied players in early 42- no matter how dire the potential situation may be, don't panic and calmly look at hurting the Empire at every opportunity. All because you are cut off doesn't mean you are beaten

+1

Very Nemo-esque ...

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 105
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/5/2016 12:20:27 PM   
njp72

Thanks Pax for your excellent comments

28th Mar 42- crunch time is nearing in India

Every 8 to 10 days the Allies sortie minor naval forces to check if KB is still blockading Karachi. Sometimes I snare the odd DD. Last turn they came out in stronger numbers and the old KB nailed about 5 of them.

Quite a number of Allied SS are also chasing KB around but luckily for me, with limited success.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 106
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/5/2016 12:24:59 PM   
njp72

But it is on the ground that the critical month looms.

Bombay has about 50K of Allied troops surrounded by 8 IJA divisions. The Aussie 6th appears to be making a break for the north but I have strong forces cutting off its escape route.

I really don't want it to retreat back into Bombay because I want to avoid a lengthy siege. Killing the Australian division would be a bonus but the goal is to take Bombay in one piece and slaughter the service troops trapped in there.

I'm not after a hard or fair fight at all.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 107
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/5/2016 12:29:44 PM   
njp72

China- also quite fascinating.

Jeff has played well here and really delayed and held me up. Still the sheer weight of numbers and the firepower of the IJA is slowly starting to crack the front open.

I always prefer to manoeuvre when I can around his formations rather than slugging it out in good defensive terrain. There is a critical hex which I have identified (blue star) which should provide me with strong leverage to wedging open his defensive line. Well that is the plan

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 108
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/5/2016 12:40:14 PM   
njp72

Burma- next to none Allied troops escaped here. The Allies deployed a little too far forward in the first couple of months and paid the price.

Will finish off the trapped inf div when I can spare the troops.

Only downside- Calcutta was trashed during the fighting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 109
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/6/2016 1:38:32 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Quite a number of Allied SS are also chasing KB around but luckily for me, with limited success.

I like CS in this role with the KB. Jakes on ASW have good range (4) teamed with 3 x 3xDD ASWTF's can do a good job of killing the allied subs at this point. Not only can you blockade Karachi, but you have a opportunity to kill off a significant portion (how ever many he would care to lose) of his early sub force.

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 110
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/6/2016 1:41:46 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

I always prefer to manoeuvre when I can around his formations rather than slugging it out in good defensive terrain. There is a critical hex which I have identified (blue star) which should provide me with strong leverage to wedging open his defensive line. Well that is the plan

Agreed. Once you can get behind him and cut off his supply from CK, those units in x3 terrain become more 'maleable'. And more importantly, they are not in CK, so then when you kill them after you take CK they don't come back. You look to be in the CK valley before 4/42 ... you look good.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 10/6/2016 1:43:23 AM >

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 111
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/6/2016 2:38:46 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

+1

The last few AAR's, it seems that the allied player is defending well against an anticipated IJ attack from the Xian axis. It would appear that a feint to Xian and a main axis of advance North from Kweiyang would be the better choice these days.

The allied player cannot defend both well, so the IJ player cannot allow his axis of advance to be so well anticipated. As you note, defense in x3 terrain in depth can take a long time to crack, costs a lot of supply, and ties up too many units too long ... ie accomplishing all of the allied goals of the early war

Just an observation ....

The Southern route through Nanning and up is also a good secondary spot to hit once the majority of Chinese forces have been shifted and dug in to the North and East. After troops from Singers and the DEI are freed using them here can really speed things up and avoid big grinding campaigns in the centre.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 112
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/6/2016 7:37:24 PM   
GetAssista

Do guerilla attacks mess up with supply flow through the base? I'm not sure. They certainly mess up with stocks (as well as usual damage to base facilities and +1 vp each turn). Nanyang does not have a garrison and is on the main supply route for all the China push

quote:

And more importantly, they are not in CK, so then when you kill them after you take CK they don't come back.

Chengtu is the other spawn point except CK. Cutting off major Chinese formations then taking those cities then mop up everybody is what ideal China campaign would be

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 113
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/9/2016 12:12:22 AM   
njp72

quote:

quote:

I like CS in this role with the KB. Jakes on ASW have good range (4) teamed with 3 x 3xDD ASWTF's can do a good job of killing the allied subs at this point. Not only can you blockade Karachi, but you have a opportunity to kill off a significant portion (how ever many he would care to lose) of his early sub force.

Good Idea- I will implement

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 114
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/9/2016 12:37:54 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

+1

Just an observation ....

The Southern route through Nanning and up is also a good secondary spot to hit once the majority of Chinese forces have been shifted and dug in to the North and East. After troops from Singers and the DEI are freed using them here can really speed things up and avoid big grinding campaigns in the centre.

Yep makes sense. I have started to shift troops now from the north to threaten the south. Really want to crack him open in the next month.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 115
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/9/2016 12:43:22 AM   
njp72

Apr 42- Dawn of the critical battle of the game has arrived

5 IJA inf divs are now besieging Bombay and are just waiting for additional reinforcements before they commence their assault.

6th Aussie, 18th British and quite a few of their Indian friends, are attempting a major breakout from North. Blocking them are 2 IJA divs and a couple of inf regts, KB flying ground support missions and daily bombardment runs with a mixture of heavy and light naval units. This is a dangerous battle and more than just a breakout. If the Allies gain the ascendancy and capture the position, the 2 IJA divisions would be cut off and their life expectancy short.

It will be fascinating to see whether Jeff cuts his losses here or goes all in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 116
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/9/2016 12:49:06 AM   
njp72

The starting line ups for the Bombay battle

2 more IJA inf divs will arrive in the next 4 days.

I am thinking that should be enough despite the forts and the urban terrain- thoughts from my ablest advisers?????

Ground combat at Bombay (36,24)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1002 troops, 52 guns, 120 vehicles, Assault Value = 1695

Defending force 38426 troops, 344 guns, 543 vehicles, Assault Value = 783

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
148th Infantry Regiment
54th Division
21st Division
4th Division
56th Recon Regiment
6th Guards Division
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
14th Army
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
254th Armoured Brigade
7th Indian Division
255th Armoured Brigade
19th Indian Division
Bombay Fortress
3rd Hyderabad Base Force
1st Bengal Construction Battalion
AHQ India
23rd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Bombay Construction Battalion
225 RAF Base Force
20th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
Cochin Base Force
24th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Indian Light AA Regiment
1st South India Base Force
1st West Coast Base Force
Southern Command
1st Indian Coastal Artillery Regiment
221 RAF Base Force

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 117
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/9/2016 5:26:31 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good Idea- I will implement

you need 2xCS ... one on day and one on night ASW/NS

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 118
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/9/2016 5:29:17 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Don't do any more ground bombardments. All it does for me is increase the EXP of the defenders. Based upon what can be seen, you should be able to grind through. A Naval Bombardment at the right time with a Shock attack can end things quickly ... the right time though is a tough call to make ...

Pax

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 119
RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ - 10/9/2016 5:48:35 AM   
njp72

quote:

quote:

Don't do any more ground bombardments. All it does for me is increase the EXP of the defenders. Based upon what can be seen, you should be able to grind through. A Naval Bombardment at the right time with a Shock attack can end things quickly ... the right time though is a tough call to make ...

Thanks Pax, the first assault will go in over the next 2 days.

A win here shatters the Allies pretty hard at least for the next 2 months until reinforcements come in from Karachi.

From a logistics perspective (fuel), maintaining the blockade is pretty tough.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hokushin-ron/Northern Road NJP72 vs TiemanJ Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI